Search Unity

UPM - A free unity package manager ALPHA

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Zerot, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Zerot

Zerot

Because of various limitations of unitypackages and the unity asset store, I created a package manager aimed at making it easier to install specific versions of packages and also support dependencies between packages. It is currently in alpha so it might break occasionally, but most of the functions should work without problem. Currently the tool is only available on windows, but I'm working on making it also available for MacOSX.

You can find the tool and info here: upm.wordtango.net
    Currently there are only 2 packages on the repository. Tenebrous' excellent EditorEnhancements and a copy of LitJson, but with a little help of the community the amount of available packages on it should increase substantially in the coming months.

F.A.Q
    Q: What is UPM
    UPM is a command line tool to install packages into unity projects.

Q: Why UPM
    Because it provides various functions that are sorely missed in unitypackages and the asset store.
    • Better/consistent versioning of packages. See semver.org
    • Older versions of packages are available
    • Package dependencies
    Package dependencies will allow package developers to reuse libraries without having the user needing to install them or having the user delete files to get it working. With package dependencies, packages will auto-install the packages it depends on if they are not already installed.

As an example lets say we have the packages A and B and both use CJSon for its json serialization. If both A and B include CJson it will cause an error when both are installed. If neither include it, the user will have to install CJson manually. With UPM A and B can be defined to have CJson as a dependency allowing the user to install both A and B without needing to worry about CJson. UPM will auto-install the dependency when needed and will also make sure it is only installed once.

Q: How do I install package X
    UPM install X

Q: How do I uninstall package X
    Remove X from the dependency list in the package.json and remove the package from the lib folder.

Q: I have removed the default repository url. How do I re-add it?

UPM repo add public 100 http://upm.wordtango.net/package/

Q: How can I help with this projects
    You can help by publishing your free assets on the public repository. And by spreading the word on UPM.

ivaylo5ev likes this.
  2. minionnz

minionnz

Amazing! I was just thinking earlier that Unity was lacking a decent package manager tool.
    Downloading now.

3. theLucre

theLucre

Awesome! Any updates for an OS X version?

4. eventropy

eventropy

Is this open source?

ivaylo5ev likes this.
  5. ivaylo5ev

ivaylo5ev

Hello
    The project page points to a bitbucket repository: https://bitbucket.org/Zeroto/upm thus the source code is publicly available. However, there is no explicit license to it (at least I could not find one there). According to chooselicense.org lack of license does not make the code opensource - see http://choosealicense.com/no-license/.

@Zerot, is the UPM project still active? Is it intended to be an open source project and is it open for contributions?