Search Unity

[UPDATED] ICECreatureControl v1.4.0 - creature AI for enemies, animals, monsters, zombies ...

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by icetec, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Jacky_Boy

Jacky_Boy

Hey Pit,
    This is a big request when you get a chance, but do you think ICE creature can be integrated with Ork Framework for AI? Ork has a Call Function step so maybe there won't be any scripting needed for an adapter (for applying damage both ways and calling the death of an object), but I think this will be a great improvement as many people I know use Ork and would love to get ICE working with it.

I've been able to, with some help, get Ork and TPC working nicely in terms of animation calling, but haven't figured out how to do damage as yet.

Please consider the Ork-ICE integration and put it on your list. Thanks

wood333 likes this.
  2. Jacky_Boy

Jacky_Boy

Basically I would like to make ICE creatures 'Combatants' in Ork Framework, so that will enable Ork to talk to ICE about health, damage and death. I think these 3 things will suffice

3. icetec

icetec

Hi Jacky, until now I have no experience with the Ork Framework, but I'm sure that there is a way to combine both assets, I'll go in contact with gamingislove and will inform you asap.

BackwoodsGaming and wood333 like this.
  4. icetec

icetec

Hi arnesso, it's done. The headshot problem is solved but beside of the adapter the sollution requires also an update of ICE and so it comes with the next minor ICE update.

arnesso likes this.
  5. Jacky_Boy

Jacky_Boy

Thanks Pit. I eagerly await the good news.;)

6. icetec

icetec

Hi Montyfi, as already mentioned in a former post, the above-quoted bug based on a missing [XmlIgnore] and is already fixed. I'll try to finish and publish the update with the next 3-4 days.

In relation to your second issue, you could adapt the default values of the selection range in the config file
    (ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Editor/Configuration/ice_CreatureEditorInit.cs)

Code (CSharp):
    2. public static readonly float SELECTION_RANGE_STEP = 0.5f;
    3. public static readonly float SELECTION_RANGE_MIN = 0;
    4. public static readonly float SELECTION_RANGE_MAX = 100;
    In consideration of the defined reaction time of your creature, its spatial movements and the spatial movements of its targets as well, you should make sure that the Selection Range will be suitable to the above-mentioned values and the relative velocity between creature and target, otherwise it could be that your creature will switch permanently between two targets or rather behaviour, because of an unclear situation based on permanently changed distances. Tip: in such critical cases you should favour the desired behaviour for a certain period of time, so that your creature will blocked all other behaviours and targets during the time-span. A good orientation value for such a time-span will be the defined reaction time.

I hope this will be helpful to you.

Have a nice day!

Best regards, Pit

montyfi likes this.
  7. BryanO

BryanO

I can't seem to find the link for the energy bar tool kit adapter on your website Pit? - have you posted this yet?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  8. BryanO

BryanO

I'm looking for how to make ranged attacks with physics based projectiles - or really any instantiated prefab to create an attack / damage effect. How are projectiles constructed using only your system - i.e. No other third party combat just your system. can the projectiles be integrated into your pooling system? Is there a projectile prefab included that I'm missing or have overlooked in the demos?

I just bought ice and love it but have a controller I like and would like to configure as my player. just adding the player script won't add Heath and death effects right? - which brings me to how you rigged up the death match demo.. Is that demo available as a unity package somewhere?

9. icetec

icetec

Hi Bryan, you can use the Environment Collision settings to realize your desired damage effects. For this open the Environment Settings of your creature and add a new Collision rule. Choose the desired collision filter (LAYER, TAG and/or COLLIDER) and define the filter values (e.g. TAG = BULLET, Body Part = HEAD). Now define the desired reaction to the defined collision (e.g. Behaviour = GETHIT and/or Influences -> Damage = 100). Make sure that both objects (creature and weapon) will have a suitable collider and at least either of them also a non-kinematic Rigidbody. If this is done, your creature will detect the impact of the collider and will react according the defined behaviour and/or influence settings.

Further information you could find also here …
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/up...-monsters-zombies.347147/page-12#post-2585798

and here you can find also a simple damage handler script from Enki-Studios, which you could use and/or adapt to handle your own damages …
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/updated-icecreaturecontrol-v1-1-creature-ai-for-enemies-animals-monsters-zombies.347147/page-12#post-2585906

In addition to that already the next version of ICE contains several target scripts to facilitate the interaction between your creatures and their surrounding environment but apart from that please feel free to contact me whenever you have a question or runs into a problem with ICE and in urgent cases you can contact me also via skype.

btw. the energy bar toolkit will be include in the next update, which will be available within the next days.

Have a nice day!

Best regards, Pit

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  10. BryanO

BryanO

Thanks for your kind response. This describes how to collide with your AI - that's great!

But only 1/2 the equation. How would this stealthy special ops AI fire back a ranged weapon at a hunted enemy ai/or player? Is there a method for instantiating / pooling physics based projectiles that are directed at an enemy?

BTW second link from ENKI no worky.

11. Funkymotha

Funkymotha

Hi everyone!
    I've been following the UFPS scene and I'm running into a problem trying to replicate it. In my project I would like the animals to damage each other but I feel like I've tried everything and can't figure it out.
    In the UFPS scene I see there's a condition under attack that applies damage to itself but if I'm understanding it right it's random.
    To make a creature damage and kill another do I make a condition for the creature colliders and have the damage applied that way? Or is there a setting I'm missing?

icetec likes this.
  12. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hey, you have to set up an Interactor for the animal for the animal you want it to kill, with a Selection range of about 20. Then set up a behaviour, probably a run animation, and Set Move to about 4, and angle to about 1. Then set up another interacter just below the first one and set the Selection range to about 2, and then set up it up so it plays an attack animation. Then, you need to do roughly the same for the animal that is the prey but set Move Forward to about 3 and Direction to Escape, but when on the second interactor change the animation to Get Hit or Killed, and make sure you add +100 to the damage influences (if you want it to be killed immediately). The values depend a lot on the size of the animals, for small animals I often use much smaller values like 0.5 for the move. 0.1 becomes 0.0999 for some reason, hopefully that can get fixed in the next update.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    icetec likes this.
  13. Funkymotha

Funkymotha

Thanks for the reply!

That makes sense, I'll give it a go tonight

icetec and jonfinlay like this.
  14. julianr

julianr

Hi Pit. I have a very long dinosaur in my game, and I'm having an issue with the stopping distance, as I believe its taking it from the root of the dinosaur, which is the back legs. Where abouts can I increase the stopping distance more than the maximum of 10? I tried the distance offset but its not great for what I need it for, it makes the dinosaur too distant when rotating and following.

edit: its ok, I managed to sort it out with a player interaction condition. But the above would be good if we can make the stopping distance larger than 10.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    icetec likes this.
  15. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Yeah I agree, I would like to see all limits removed, and the ability to set an exact number instead of having it rounded up. It's difficult to get a creature to stop at meat for example, and get it to eat the meat without having full control of the values.

icetec, Nateply and julianr like this.
  16. julianr

julianr

a dead stop option would be good too, as you get creatures that break and slow down, then skid past the point you want them to reach for accuracy when attacking a player. It wouldn't be that obvious when transitioning from a run to an attack animation. Sometimes you need fast reacting creatures that do not give the player a chance to get an attack in, or to evade an attack.

jonfinlay and icetec like this.
  17. icetec

icetec

Hi Brian,
    sorry for my late response and here at first the correct link:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/up...-monsters-zombies.347147/page-12#post-2585906

The current release of ICE doesn’t contain any kind of ranged weapons or something like this, that’s because there are countless possibilities to handle weapons and damages and I wouldn’t create a proprietary handler which represents a further stand-alone solution, rather ICE should be an open system, which can be easy combined with existing packages (such as UFPS, RFPSP, TPC, UnitZ etc.), but integrated by custom code in own projects as well. But apart from that ICE creatures are already prepared to using melee and ranged weapons, for example by using the inventory with a handle (see deathmatch demo) or by using the effect feature of the behaviour rules. In both cases your creature is able to use a melee weapon or to shoot a gun (e.g. prepare a gun prefab, which will shoot projectiles while its object will be enabled, assign this prefab now as effect in your ‘FIRE_ATTACK’ behaviour and define its position. As soon as the ‘FIRE_ATTACK’ behaviour will be active, your creature will initialize and enable the effect object at the defined place (e.g. the hand of your creature) and your weapon effect object will aim at the target (e.g. the effect script could use the ICECreatureControl.Creature.ActiveTarget.TransformPosition to get the correct target position) and shoot the target. But this is merely one example, just as well your creature could also use a magic wand or a vacuum cleaner – the final mode of operation is part of the used effect, the creature have to know the desired prefab and its position only.

But as already mentioned the next version of ICE contains some scripts to demonstrate these procedures and within the framework of the target components, I’ll also realize weapon scripts based on the ICECreatureItem class, which could be used for ranged weapons.

I hope my answer is helpful to you and please feel free to contact me whenever you have a problem to realize your ideas with ICE.

Have a nice day!

Best wishes, Pit

julianr likes this.
  18. BryanO

BryanO

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction. BTW do you have a link to the DeathMatch.package? All I can find is the video.

icetec likes this.
  19. icetec

icetec

Hi Jon! Hi Julian!
    The issue with the very long dinosaur is an excellent example and I have directly a suitable solution for you.

You can adapt the editor default values by modify the ICE config file
    ICE -> ICECreatureControl -> Scripts -> Editor -> Configuration -> ice_CreatureEditorInit.cs

Looking for TARGET_STOP_MAX_DISTANCE and adapt this value as desired, also you will find here the TARGET_STOP_DISTANCE_STEP value and a pile of other values which could be useful to you. Please consider that this file will be overwritten with the next update, so you should make a copy of it before importing ICE again. Also some of this values are obsolete and will be deleted within the next updates and for some of this values you will already find a MAXIMUM field directly in the editor and that is what I have done now also for the maximum stopping distance value and I have also increased the step values to 0.001f which should be suitable for the majority of cases.

Code (CSharp):
    2. public static readonly float TARGET_STOP_DISTANCE_DEFAULT = 2;
    3. public static readonly float TARGET_STOP_DISTANCE_STEP = 0.001f;
    4. public static readonly float TARGET_STOP_MIN_DISTANCE = 1;
    5. public static readonly float TARGET_STOP_MAX_DISTANCE = 10;
    By using the BAN feature of the Stopping Distance you’ll have a kind of Dead Stop option, but I’m not sure that this is exactly what you mean. To slow down the motions would be basically okay in cases the next behaviour would be static, otherwise your creature will permanent slow down and speed up while reaching a stopping distance and to prevent this the creature have to know the next target many frames before changing it, maybe I can use the reaction time-span to handle this but in either case I will adapt the speed according to the given animation transition.

Btw. If you need fast reacting creature, please try to reduce the reaction time in the status settings, this will speed up the reaction of your creature. If you adjust this value to zero your creature will scan its environment in each frame (not recommended, because of the performance), also you can increase the value to simulate clumsy species.

I hope my answer will be helpful to you but please let me know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

Best wishes, Pit

jonfinlay likes this.
  20. icetec

icetec

Hi Brian, the DeathMatch demo is currently not online (was made with an internal version of ICE, and I'm not sure that the scene will be compatible with v1.1.18) but I'll update and publish the complete scene as soon as I'm finish with the next update.

21. julianr

julianr

Thank you Pit. I think the solutions you have provided should do the job. I'll give it a test!

22. BryanO

BryanO

Hu,,, Ok.. I noticed on your website that the play maker example scene is also not currently online. I'm asking for this because I specifically bought your package to script through play maker and Im not sure how to obtain Creature.ActiveTarget.TransformPosition with a standard get property call from the script ...

I tried putting the adapted script on the prefab and doing a get property via playmaker and this script will exposed "ActiveTargetGameObject" but still no joy while in play mode the GameObject is not stored. Is there some other method to make this public?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  23. Jacky_Boy

Jacky_Boy

Thanks Julianr, I really appreciate it:)

julianr likes this.
  24. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Anyone who's looking for a decent free MiniMap take a look at this one on the Asset Store. Works flawlessly with ICE, just assign the map marker to the creature. Works fine with cloned creatures as well. Open source too, maybe it could get integrated into ICE?

julianr and montyfi like this.
  25. Xx-Dr-Pepper-xX

Xx-Dr-Pepper-xX

Hi BryanO,

Here is a Playmaker action for you and anyone else interested.
    Check out my website :
    http://roskdproductions.weebly.com

I have several more Actions/Components that I Plan on releasing as a free asset.

Attached Files:

26. Xx-Dr-Pepper-xX

Xx-Dr-Pepper-xX

Hi BryanO,

I think one option would be to integrate weapons usage and ammo consumption with the inventory system.
    I plan on making some Playmaker actions for that purpose.

Stay Tuned.

27. BryanO

BryanO

Thanks everyone for this I also wrote a simple script to deal with the issue as well.
    Just put it on the creature you need to address the target of and drag it into an actions window and you can get the Game object.

Dr. Pepper that would rock I will try your Actions - eager to see them as it took me several days rooting around to write this script.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using ICE;
    4. using ICE.Creatures;
    7. public class Target_Translator : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    9. public GameObject currentTarget;
    13.     private ICECreatureControl m_Controller = null;
    14.     private ICECreatureControl Controller
    15.     {
    16.         get
    17.         {
    18.             if (m_Controller == null)
    19.                 m_Controller = (ICECreatureControl)transform.GetComponentInParent<ICECreatureControl>();
    21.             return m_Controller;
    22.         }
    23.     }
    28.     // Use this for initialization
    29.     void Start() {
    32.     }
    34.     // Update is called once per frame
    35.     void Update() {
    36.         if (Controller)
    37.             currentTarget = Controller.Creature.ActiveTarget.TargetGameObject;
    38.         //currentTarget = ActiveTargetGameObject;
    39.     }
    40. }

28. BryanO

BryanO

I hate to have to keep coming back here but I cant seem to get the .cc_preset files to save behaviors do seem to save. Is the workaround to simply copy the whole component?

29. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Yeah it's not working in the current version, however Pit said he has fixed it and will be available in the next day or two in the new version. I'm just copying and pasting the whole component at the moment, seems to work ok.

30. keifyb

keifyb

i get an error with the PUN adapter, any updates?

31. thegamerguynz

thegamerguynz

Hi Guys im trying to use the RFPS adaptor, but as soon as i import it i get the following errors :
    Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Adapter/RFPSP/ICECreatureRFPSPAdapter.cs(426,130): error CS1061: Type `ICE.Creatures.Objects.MoveObject' does not contain a definition for `EyeHeight' and no extension method `EyeHeight' of type `ICE.Creatures.Objects.MoveObject' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

and
    Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Adapter/RFPSP/ICECreatureRFPSPAdapter.cs(426,162): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEngine.Vector3.Vector3(float, float, float)' has some invalid arguments

and lastly:
    Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Adapter/RFPSP/ICECreatureRFPSPAdapter.cs(426,162): error CS1503: Argument `#2' cannot convert `object' expression to type `float'

i dont know how to fix this, and everything else runs fine just need to impliment creature and player damage.
    please help i dont want to spend $120 on ufps!!

32. Jacky_Boy

Jacky_Boy

Hey @Pit Gaming is Love is back on his forum, just in case you forgot to contact him about the adapter for Ork Framework

@icetec

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    wood333 likes this.
  33. icetec

icetec

Hi thegamerguynz, EyeHeight is obsolete and was removed with the last update but don't worry .... the new RFPSP adapter comes with the new version ... to fix it you could replace EyeHeight with a suitable value e.g. 1.6f or something like this ... also I have reduced the required code changes of RFPSP. The update is nearly finish, just some last changes and tests ...

34. icetec

icetec

Hi Keifyb, some more infos would be helpful but apart from that the update is nearly finish and comes anyway with an new version of the PUN adapter.

35. icetec

icetec

Hi Barry, sorry again for the late response ... this bug based on a missing [XmlIgnore] within the inventory code and is already fixed. If you need to save your behaviours, please use the SAVE/LOAD features of the behaviours instead of saving the complete component ... but as mentioned - the update is on the way!

julianr likes this.
  36. icetec

icetec

sounds great, I'll contact 'Gaming is Love' asap, but before I'll start with the Ork Framework I've to finish some other issues ...

37. BryanO

BryanO

an update ? great when?

icetec likes this.
  38. thegamerguynz

thegamerguynz

That's awesome can't wait to finally use it!!!!

39. icetec

icetec

Hi Brian, I try to finish it within the next days, but as you know it’s difficult to determine a fixed ETA. While testing all the features, demos and adapters I always found some small issues which thwarts my plans and efforts :)

40. Reivax41

Reivax41

Hello, I would like to know, can ICECreatureControl work with a custom gravity ? I use mesh as terrain and a script allows the player to walk on wall and ceiling like in Mario Galaxy. The script just realigns the player normal with the ground normal (Raycast Hit) and apply the gravity force. Thanks.

41. icetec

icetec

Hi Reivax41, you can specify a custom gravity value (e.g. to simulate a moon environment) or deactivate the gravity completely and if you set the body orientation type to crawler ICE realigns your creature according to the ground normal, also you can define a large slope value to allow extreme slopes, but for all that there is a limit of 89.9° degrees, so your creature could never walk headfirst on the ceiling and also the movement on extreme slopes will not been suitable to simulate realistic movements of insects on a wall for example, that’s because the original environment based on a planar field, therefore all associated calculations are always downwards directed. I have already thought to use the ground normal as you mentioned above (especially to realize realistic insects etc. with ICE) but to realign the creature is just one part, more complex is to picture also the pathfinding etc. for such curved environments, so I’m sorry that I can’t give you an affirmative answer, but nevertheless it’s an very interesting topic and I’ll stick to it.

Have a nice day!

Best regards, Pit

jonfinlay and montyfi like this.
  42. PhoenixDevs

PhoenixDevs

Hi.

Does this asset support using instantiated prefebs as a player model in Photon? I can't seem to see any documentation on how to deal with multiple players?

Tethys likes this.
  43. julianr

julianr

Hi Pit. Third Person Controller (Opsive) has been updated, it breaks the Adapter support for ICE. So far I can only see Damage as an issue, but the fix for it is here; you might want to update your adapter.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    icetec likes this.
  44. icetec

icetec

julianr likes this.
  45. julianr

julianr

46. icetec

icetec

Yeap! Simply attach PhotonView to all your creatures and the ICECreaturePlayer script to your player prefab and add your player prefab as reference to the CreatureRegister. In cases the name of the player will be changed during the runtime, make sure that your creatures will select the player by tag, otherwise your creatures can't find the player. The next version of ICE contains an Photon adapter for the CreatureRegister, which will handle the spawning but you can handle this also by your own scripts.

Have a nice day!
    Pit

Tethys likes this.
  47. Jacky_Boy

Jacky_Boy

@icetec, I was wondering about this small issue. I don't want my Wolf AI to have a finite state of just attacking the player on sight. What sort of conditions can I utilize to make the wolf ONLY attack the player based on the following criteria?

A. the player attacks it first
    B. The player wanders into the wolf's territory
    C. The player attacks the wolf's family member

I know how to set up the behaviors and range selection very well already I just need to know how to use the conditions (and also what type of conditions) so as to make it more of a versatile behavior tree rather an FSM?

I'm unsure of what some of the ICE conditions even mean like Own Creature..Is this MY character or the particular creature that executes a behavior?
    \
    But just a basic idea/example will get me started and I'll handle the rest. thanks man and thank you for the continued TPC Opsive update and looking forward to the future Ork adapter after your current work is completed. Cheers:cool:

48. icetec

icetec

Hi Jacky_Boy,
    here a small example how you could solve this ...

B. The player wanders into the wolf's territory
    e.g. Selection Range == 30 - your wolf will attack only when the player is within the defined range
    A. the player attacks it first
    AND e.g. Own Health < 100 - your wolf will attack only when he is wounded
    C. The player attacks the wolf's family member
    OR e.g. Own Command == HELP - for this your wolf pack member could send a GroupMessage (e.g. HELP) while fighting with your player. The messages allows your creatures to communicate together. With OwnCommand (contains the last received command) they can listen to a specific command and react to it.

btw. it could be that you'll get an error while selecting GroupMessage, simply ignore it and add your COMMAND - this will fixed it directly ...

OWN means always the selected creature, for which you currently adapt the settings
    TARGET represents the target related target object (active or not) and ACTIVE TARGET represents the active target during the runtime ... I'll improve the description for all that asap but I hope the examples are helpful to you.

Have a nice day!
    Pit

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Teila and Tethys like this.
  49. Jacky_Boy

Jacky_Boy

Yes that is a great start, I think it will do what I need very well. Thank you very much Pit!

50. Tethys

Tethys

Good to know. Once this is out we and finish with our latest sprint we will be integrating Ice into our project. We have most things working in our testing level, however since it is an online game, rather then work-in the Photon workaround we figured to just wait. Thanks for the awesome system!