Search Unity

[Updated] Daedalus - Random Dungeon Generator for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AXXE78, Mar 15, 2013.

1. kilik128

kilik128

yes i see

i try found somethink's in log

it's clear projet only Daedalus
    i have already try with other phone
    sorry but if you have any idea where's come from
    it's can help to found solution

2. kilik128

kilik128

Nice !! i found i just reinstall unity !
    Sorry about that's ! and thank's !
    i think's i will get lot more interessing question now !

3. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

I am very interested in purchasing Daedalus. However, I would like the rooms to be the path for the maze. As per above review that was left on the asset store.

You responded that this would be available in the next version of Daedalus. Could you please let me know, if this feature is now build into the version on the asset store?

If it is, do you have a demo video showing how this works?

Thx.

4. AXXE78

AXXE78

Hi Zaddo67,

this feature is now part of the next version of Daedalus we are working on, as you can see in this picture:

Daedalus_108.jpg
    As shown here, rooms are now (optionally) drawn between corridors and not only as "detours of the corridor path", like stated by our unhappy customer in his review.

Stay tuned for the new version (we're fixing a couple of bugs and testing this new feature before releasing the new version on the AssetStore).

About a webplayer demo of Daedalus, we're working on it and hope to release it in the next few days.

5. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

Thank you. I'll keep an eye out for this update to hit the store.

6. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

The rooms are part of the path feature is really awesome.
    Can't wait to try it.

Edit: Is there a way to specify only a certain number of openings for the generated rooms? For example: A room with only 2 doors ?

7. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  8. negativecap

negativecap

I'm interested in being able to place a Daedalus 'object' randomly at runtime (in a proceedurally generated world) that would then generate a 'tower' or 'building' maze of a set size (but of a random organization) proceedurally on that spot. Does this sound like something that would be possible?

9. AXXE78

AXXE78

Yes, you can jut create a prefab with everything already set and then instantiate it at runtime where you need (and make Daedalus generate a building/dungeon/maze for you), or you can create a GameObject, add required components and set the generation parameters (but I would recommend the frist way).

10. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

1. A question about using ApexPath or NavMesh with Daedalus. What is the best approach of doing this.

Edit: Found the answer for NavMesh in the video.

Also, can you please answer this question:
    2. Is there a way to specify only a certain number of openings for the generated rooms? For example: A room with only 2 doors ?

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  11. canibecooltoo

canibecooltoo

does this work with android build ? i seem to be having a problem when switching scene to it the game just freezes and never loads up. all other scenes load fine. and saving the map to prefab seems to crash unity when trying to place saved map into another scene and i noticed in the inspector that it only saves a small part of the map.

Edit: ok i got it to work i had to remove the dungeon scripts off the game object that what was keeping the scene from loading up on mobile might be a bug.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  12. AXXE78

AXXE78

We got a copy of ApexPath and will look into it as soon as possible, and eventually make a video for that, too.

There is a "Passages Density" slider you can use, but keep in mind that it's just a suggestion for the generator; if it needs to open a door in a certain spot, it will, to ensure a 100% navigable map.

13. AXXE78

AXXE78

It works on Android, iOS or any other platform. (Here's a video showing an Android build).

14. canibecooltoo

canibecooltoo

seem to work if i click add player but that just messes with my own player spawner and if i uncheck it thats when the scene never loads? im using this with orkframe rpg engine

15. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Axxe78,

I'm trying to figure out how to create a run-time navigation system that works on the XY plane instead of XZ (navmesh, apex). Reason is that I would like to generate a 3D maze and use it for with unity 2D.

16. AXXE78

AXXE78

Try using a Sprite3D map. Start with the TileMap_Sprite3D.scene file to have a look at how it works. There you have an Orientation drop-down menu in the PhysicalMap Behaviour where you can choose an axis plane (XY, XZ, YZ).

17. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Thanks. What's the difference between this map and the TileMap_Sprite2D. These two look similar and only the orientation is different.

18. AXXE78

AXXE78

Sprite2D maps use Unity 2D, ToolKit2D maps use 2DToolKit, while Sprite3D use simple 3D planes with textures. It's just another option that someone may find useful.

About the orientation planes, we decided to take this option out for ToolKit2D TileMaps, since you can manage that kind of stuff from 2DToolKit itself.

The lack of this option for Sprite2D maps sounds like a bug to me, we're having a look and will let you know. By the way, a new version is almost ready, so if it's the case, we'll put this fix into it.

19. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

I think the lack of option for Sprite2D might be because Unity2d only works on the XY plane.

20. AXXE78

AXXE78

I think you're right :)

Also, that's why there's a Sprite3D map.

21. eridani

eridani

Two questions regarding doors:

Can you guys possibly think of a better way to limit the number of doors per room (such as the way DunGen does it). Some of your generated rooms can have a ridiculous number of doors (count the doors per room in your following pic), and even more than 2 per typical square room generally doesn't make sense in real life, so generally I'd want every room to only have 1 or 2 doors (maybe 3 doors max):

daedalus.jpg

Such a procedurally generated building or tower would need a door or entranceway from the outside. Does Daedulus do this? Also, it might be nice to have a roof exit option, or even fire escape or something similar.

Thank you!

22. AXXE78

AXXE78

@eridani
    1) Daedalus works in a different way than DunGen, but we are working to implement new generation algorithms that will surely manage the door generation in different ways. Can't give you an ETA, though.

2) the "entranceway" is already on the to-do list; the roof exit isn't, but..well, it is now :)

eridani likes this.
  23. kilik128

kilik128

if use directional path he get fonction to know object list on next

24. stoatwrangler

stoatwrangler

Has anyone tries the Tile-a-dungeon art assets with Daedalus? ( e.g. TAD Sewer Kit )

25. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I love this app. This is just one of the things we are doing with it.

26. hike1

hike1

Throwing errors in Unity 5 final, the 'pro only' shaders are listed twice, delete yours and I get even more errors.

27. AXXE78

AXXE78

We're working on the Unity 5 update, it should be ready for the next week.

OnePxl likes this.
  28. AXXE78

AXXE78

Daedalus for Unity 5 Update

Hey folks, here are some key features of the next update for Daedalus:

DU5_Shot04.jpg DU5_Shot03.jpg DU5_Shot01.jpg DU5_Shot02.jpg

..and there are a lot of new options/bug fixes, too! Stay tuned for more.

29. chaseholton

chaseholton

Does this work for mobile platforms as well? I know a lot of random generation can't be done because of the way iOS builds work or whatever. Would love to add randomly generated dungeons to my mobile games!

30. AXXE78

AXXE78

Yes, it does work on any platform we have tested so far. Not all the graphic examples provided are mobile-friendly, though.

31. kilik128

kilik128

i got trouble about enter in room

32. AXXE78

AXXE78

Can you give me a more detailed explanation of the problem?

33. hike1

hike1

I kept checking this page and page 1 for the new update, just saw it's been out on asset store for 3 weeks.

34. eridani

eridani

Hello, do you have any updates on these items from about 6 months ago? Thank you very much

35. AXXE78

AXXE78

1) Yes, it's in the last update

2) Not yet

36. Sehlor

Sehlor

Hello,

Is there gonna be an update for Symmetric dungeon generation?

37. AXXE78

AXXE78

Hmm, never thought about it. Could be interesting! :)

38. Sehlor

Sehlor

Yeah, very very much interesting :)

Implementation should be simple and a quick question,

Developing a top-down game, which generation type you recommend for it?

Will use Manufactura's assets :)

39. AXXE78

AXXE78

I'd say a TileMap 3D.

40. Sehlor

Sehlor

What about BSP?

What is the difference?

41. AXXE78

AXXE78

Yeah, BSP too would be a good choice. They're two different generation algorithms, and thus different kind of maps. With BSP you can also have different-sized corridors (while you're stuck with 1-tile wide corridors with the other maps).

42. Sehlor

Sehlor

I need wider corridors actually :) So, going for bsp i think :)

43. AXXE78

AXXE78

You can have corridors with any size with any kind of map, it's up to you and the graphic asset you're going to use; the key difference here is the number of tiles for the corridor width, which is customizable in the BSP map. Hope it makes sense :)

44. Sehlor

Sehlor

Yeah it does thanks.

And one little favor to ask, is there a tutorial for BSP generation? And do you happen to stumble upon an asset pack that fits perfectly so i can focus on coding instead of art fixing?

45. AXXE78

AXXE78

Not yet, but it's no different from the other map types, so you can have a look at the tutorials. I can't say if there's an asset pack that fits "out of the box", but I think anything tile-based would do.

46. Marrt

Marrt

If you want more types of generation algorithms for your asset you could check out those i utilized here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/random-level-generator.342587/

They are all Gridbased, you get a Tile[,] _dungeon after generation. Tiles enum can be Tile.Door,Tile.Wall, Tile.Floor and others depending on what i need for each algorithm.

Hauberk and Cave are from the authors i mentioned. RoomTemplate is from me, it is fast and offers some neat features like:
    - finding the longest shortest path between all room pairs ( finding the path is not so fast though )
    - make potentialDoors that are only converted to actual doors when they are used
    - roomTemplates (random or predesigned)

You can assign the 2 longest-shortest path-rooms as start- and end-room to create a dungeon with fewer sidetracks. This naturally marks all mandatory rooms on the only solution path and could be used to place story events or semibosses that therefore cannot be missed.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  47. AXXE78

AXXE78

Very nice, thank you! Will have a look asap.

48. Marrt

Marrt

If you find some of my coding patterns unusual and see room for improvement, don't be shy to tell me, i am still investigating things like encapsulation and the like, normally i just write 5000 lines of code in a Main.cs and after that i try to figure out what the hell i did...

49. eridani

eridani

Hello, do you have any update on this item from last year? Thank you very much

50. Cargh

Cargh

Also looking for the feature eridani requested as well. Are there any plans to continue on with development of this amazing asset?