Search Unity

[Updated] Daedalus - Random Dungeon Generator for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AXXE78, Mar 15, 2013.

1. AXXE78

AXXE78

Daedalus 1.0.7 Update

$cca9785d-dae2-41e9-bf88-47491d8af088_scaled.jpg

$53c8d8f0-79ef-4eba-9319-2a475a08c22f_scaled.jpg

$5e250062-13a3-4705-8c7a-7836f4dda5f3_scaled.jpg

$3daeffc2-0b0b-4a1d-9727-b544dc561125_scaled.jpg

Unity and Unity Pro compatible

Now with FULL 3D generation! Create mazes, dungeons, towers and multi-floor buildings with ease!

Different high-quality Art Assets included!

Links: Web|Docs|Support|Videos

Daedalus is a random maze and dungeon generator add-on for Unity3D. Its purpose is to give game developers a different and quick way of creating game levels, adding a little bit of randomness to them.

Daedalus creates tile-based maps and can be used both in Unity Editor, to generate game levels for later editing, and in runtime applications, to randomly create levels while playing.

Daedalus works both in 3D and 2D (support for Unity 2D and 2DToolKit by Unikron is included)

Daedalus is different from all other dungeon generators because it allows full customization of every single feature of a game level: you can randomize every single column, wall, floor, ceiling, door, etc., and it is packed with a plethora of parameters and options.

Current features list:
    • NEW in v1.0.7 - Unity 4.5+ support
    • NEW in v1.0.7 - "Fake 3D" Maps
    • NEW in v1.0.7 - Directional Walls/Perimeter
    • NEW in v1.0.7 - Customizable Entrance/Exit Distance
    • NEW in v1.0.7 - Custom Prefabs in 2D Tiles
    • Multi-Floor (Full 3D Generation!)
    • Directional tiles
    • Editor generation
    • Runtime generation
    • Seed-based generation
    • Thorough documentation
    • Full source code included
    • Default Art Assets included (2D and 3D)
    • Visual Debugger
    • 2D/3D Tile Maps
    • Unity 2D and 2DToolKit support
    • 2 different generation algorithms
    • Non-linearity percentage value
    • Sparseness percentage value
    • Dead-ends percentage value
    • Min/Max number of rooms in a map
    • Min/Max room width/length
    • Doors density percentage
    • Spawn player
    • Create entrance/exit
    • Save/Load maps as Prefabs
    • Map orientation plane (XY, XZ, YZ)
    • Tile variations (randomize each feature)
    • Variation weights
    • Tiles rotations
    • Static batching (Unity Pro only)

Daedalus is still under development and there will be more features in next releases!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  2. cynel

cynel

dose this cost anything

3. AXXE78

AXXE78

It's still under development, maybe we'll put it on the AssetStore together with some different graphic assets packages to build dungeons and mazes.

4. cynel

cynel

maybe put he generator free but price the packages

5. AXXE78

AXXE78

That's what we were thinking about, thanks for the suggestion.

6. Myhijim

Myhijim

I think the generator is worth a bit, you could probably sell it, good job mate

7. Metron

Metron

Working on same stuff here. Looks interesting. How do you handle tiles of various sizes? Or do they have to be the same size?

8. AXXE78

AXXE78

Nice question/suggestion! We're using tiles with the same size at the moment, but that could definately be a very interesting feature to implement. Are you doing that way? (different tile sizes)

9. Metron

Metron

I'm currently working on that. While it is no problem to have different tile sizes for different levels, it gets more complicated once you try to fit in tiles of different sizes within the same level. Either you have to work with tile connection tables describing the actual tiles (extends + connections) or you have to do restrictions on specific tile types.

Another way would be to actually generate levels using the tiles and their information and thus leave the regular grids. But that could be mathematical overkill...

I tend to keep the idea of tile sizes per level. Makes life easier.

10. AXXE78

AXXE78

ah well, you meant different tile sizes for different levels. that's already in this version of the generator. I was thinking different tile sizes within the same level...

11. cynel

cynel

hopefully this will work like a constriction kit

12. ZJP

ZJP

Nice. Count me in with Sci-Fi corridors.

Fine for me. Release it now. ;)

ETA?

JP

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  13. djc-smithers

djc-smithers

Holy f*** this is f***en awsome

14. 3

This does look amazing, any chance of Beta release on the Asset Store? Id buy it immediately!.

15. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

just chiming in to say, I'm also working on something similar :), but yours is much prettier.

16. sirenpro

sirenpro

Yeah I definitely vote for a medieval gothic style too

17. montyfi

montyfi

Looks very good, when do you plan to release it?

18. purkie103

purkie103

This looks really cool, I'd be interested in playing around with this. A couple of suggestion don't know how easy they might be to implement.

First if you could you get it to work over multiple levels, stair cases/elevators linking to other floors would be cool and might not be to tricky.

Procedural object placement inside the levels. So say this was to work at run time it could place decals on the walls and floors and other objects to make the map more interesting, maybe with monster placing based on parameters set by the designer or player.

Key systems having doors locked until the player has searched the areas of the level they can access to find a key or terminal.

Looks good already though, the art your using in the screen shots is sweet too.

19. Psyckosama

Psyckosama

Any way to make a random cave generator out of this?

20. c-Row

c-Row

Very cool - I shall keep an eye on this thread.

21. AXXE78

AXXE78

A little update with the Editor version:

22. ZJP

ZJP

Nice, but It was asked twice : Any ETA?

23. AXXE78

AXXE78

Oops, sorry. We're writing down docs and maybe making a video tutorial, so I guess when those are ready we'll release it.

24. stefmen

stefmen

Nice work in here. Is there a way you could add thingd like random generating props in the same scene?

25. AXXE78

AXXE78

It will be definitely possible in the next version, but full code is provided with the package, so anyone could extend it as he wishes.

26. cynel

cynel

hopefully the dungeons can be seen in third person like 3D Zelda games

27. AXXE78

AXXE78

It really depends on how you create the graphics. Being it tile-based, you just create the tiles the way you want (ex., with roof / without roof). We plan to release a couple of art assets packages together with the dungeon generator and some tutorials on how to create them.

28. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Sounds and looks very cool. Are you planning on uploading to multiple places? Or just the asset store? I ask, cause I'm waiting for the unity to live wallpaper script to be put up on the asset store and it's already been a week.

Also, any guesses to the general price range you'd be looking at for the version with the graphics? Also, are you going to allow after the fact editing. Like say one of the corridors is really long, can we make it bend more manually without moving around the 3d meshes (like a pain brush type of thing). This is also supposing that you generate the level before the game. (both real-time and pre-generated in the editor would be very nice to have.)

EDIT:
    Also, it'd be kind of cool to be able to make this vertical for a metroid-vania style game as well.

29. AXXE78

AXXE78

I think we'll go with AssetStore to begin with, it's our first Unity add-on. We were planning to make it free, but the we thought that the price range will be very low for the generator itself, because it's based on a popular generation algorithm, but there's quite a bit of work we did to make it fully functional in Unity and we also added a lot of things. We're still thinking about the art assets prices, but they will be quite low, too. We just want to give people a different way of creating game levels.

We just finished implementing the Editor version of the script, so it's already possibile to generate maps, save the scene and edit them as you wish. It's all grid and tile based, so it's simple to make changes to an existing map.

Making it aligned to an arbitrary axis (ex., vertical) is a good idea, we were thinking about that and it will be available in next version. There are a lot of things that can be added to this project, we hope to be able to do them all in future releases.

30. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Well, if you are releasing it for free, and need a bit of webspace until it gets onto the asset store, I'd be happy to supply that. I have both a virtual shared host through godaddy (will probably switch to domain.com soonish though) as well as my own home server that it can be placed on.

I know the asset store will get a wider audience, but for those that want to use it now, it could be quite useful. :)P I hate waiting) But if you want to just put it up on the asset store only, that's up to you.

31. cynel

cynel

releasing it for free but pricing only the packs would ensure a wider audience

32. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Anything new on this yet?

33. AXXE78

AXXE78

We've been quite busy in the last few days (moving to new office), we'll see what we can do in the next week.

34. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Cool stuff.

35. Admiral-Skye

Admiral-Skye

Do you have an update on how it's going or are you still settling in the new office?

Also, what exactly is this?

Is that for spawning random objects or enemies on tiles?

36. Addi

Addi

looking forward to checking this out, any news on release?

37. AXXE78

AXXE78

Sorry for the delay, still working on this (docs, graphic assets and cleaning up code).

"Single feature randomization" means that you can randomize every single entity (for example, a wall will be chosen from a list of 10 different wall prefabs).

38. Cronx

Cronx

I'm interested in this generation algorithm. I would love to start learning to use this.

39. NioFox

NioFox

I like this a lot.
    Is it currently flexible enough to create levels at runtime?

40. c-Row

c-Row

Now if this works with Leslie Young's Tile Based Map Nav package... :D

41. AXXE78

AXXE78

Yep, it actually does create levels at runtime.

42. AXXE78

AXXE78

I need to grab a copy of that and give it a try. I made some tests with SimplePath and it was working just fine.

43. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

Is this still under development? I've been looking for a good random dungeon generator for unity and this looks like it has some real potential.

44. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Indeed. I am still curious about this one as well.

45. Cronx

Cronx

What resources do people recommend for procedural generation. Are there assets or scripts out there?

46. RyanMC

RyanMC

Very interested in this as well. Hopefully it is still coming to the asset store?

47. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Agreed, I'd pay for that.

What's the process for making new tilesets?

48. CaptainChristian

CaptainChristian

Could you explain the pros and cons of your asset in comparison to assets from Vertex Stream? Especially these two packages: http://u3d.as/content/vertex-stream/dungeon-level-generator/2Jd, http://u3d.as/content/vertex-stream/modular-dungeon-level-generator/2RE. Is your asset cheaper/better/more efficient, is it more general purpose and less dependent on other expensive art assets and so forth. I do consider buying this asset, but I want to know the differences.

Nontheless, it helps to get some competition going.

P.s. Do you have news on when you release your product?

49. AXXE78

AXXE78

The project is in standby due to lack of time. If anyone is interested in it (as it is) or maybe wants to improve/modify it, I'll be more than happy to lend him source code and some art assets for the tiles.

50. Jos-Yule

Jos-Yule

I am very interested in playing with the code. I've worked on other Roguelike games, so this is right up my alley. Is this a potential saleable product for you, or are you thinking of making it public via Github or other sharing site? I don't mind either, just wondering.