Search Unity

Untiy 64bit 5.1.1F1 Crashing

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by grallye, Jun 30, 2015.

1. newlife

newlife

Hello,
    Im experiencing the same problem (Unity 5.1.2 crashes, Unity 5.0.4 works).
    I have an asus desktop computer with windows 8.1 without any strange hidden software installed like lavasoft.
    I uploaded the editor log and the crash dump file.
    Hope that it helps fixing the issue.

Attached Files:

Teila likes this.
  2. Teila

Teila

Unfortunately, it didn't crash on my laptop. lol Asus laptop but no problem at all. May be because it is a year or so old rather than a new one.

My son says that his worked at first but then started having problems. Would deleting the libraries in his projects help? Would corrupted projects cause the inability to open the project window when starting up Unity?

3. newlife

newlife

dont really know, we have to wait for a reply from a unity developer.

4. Teila

Teila

I wasn't asking you. :) But thanks for posting the dump file. Maybe that will help.

5. Drexx

Drexx

Okay, now I think the 'choose a project' window is opening when I load a scene :(

First, the editor actually loads, but then the blank window (the window that I think is the 'choose a project' window) opens. Then unity 'stops working' :(

6. Stardog

Stardog

I'm having constant freezes/crashes with Unity 5.1.1f Personal. It happens with every project.

Sometimes it'll even crash in the background, such as when it's minimised and I'm busy with other things. When I click on it a half-hour later, it just won't maximise. It's frozen and I have to end the process.

Otherwise, it works fine.

Windows 7 64-bit.

7. Hash-Buoy

Hash-Buoy

I tried uninstalling Lavasoft webcompanion from control panel still i face same issue with unity.
    Even though it was a clean uninstall , I still find LavasoftTcpService64.dll in Windows/System32 folder , when i tried deleting it , it says it can't be deleted as its being used by dasHost.exe. Wonder what this is.

8. Teila

Teila

My son's computer is having the same problem again, with 5.1.0 now. He downloaded something from the asset store yesterday and Unity crashed. After that, he was unable to open the project window. We tried opening a scene from the project folder and it crashed, opening a crash report for Unity, but when we tried to send the project, it crashed while adding the folder.

So, he deleted the library for the folder and now can at least open them from the scene in the project folder but the project window still does not work.

He does not have Lavasoft on his computer. It is an i7, Asus laptop running 8.1 and about 6 months old. He has already done a refresh, setting it to factory state. Other than the crash report and what we have already sent, I see no way to get a dmp file for you.

If one were to tell us where to find it, we could easily send it.

9. TonanBora

TonanBora

Hello everyone, I am Teila's son Ryan.
    For anyone interested, I have located where Windows 8.1 is saving these dump files.
    1) Make sure you have "Hidden Items" check mark ticked.
    To do this, open file explorer and select the "View" tab. Then, in the menu bar that opens, look for the check box toward the right end of the bar, tick it.

2) With File Explorer open, navigate here:
    C:\Users\<your user profile here>\AppData\Local\CrashDumps
    The AppData folder is a hidden folder, which is why you can't normally see it, unless you check the "Hidden Items" box.

So, with that, here is my dump file.
    It is also worth noting, that I am able to open a project via scenes, however, the moment I open the asset store, the Editor crashes.
    So it would seem to be a connectivity issue, as it only seems to crash when trying to connect to Unity's servers.
    EDIT:
    Unity Version: 5.1.2f1
    Computer: Asus GL551J

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  10. Hash-Buoy

Hash-Buoy

Thanks Ryan !!! Hopefully this helps Unity guys to find some solution .
    Unity 5.1.2 works well on Dell Windows 7 64bit , I got no option but to use my Dad's laptop till the bug is fixed :(

11. Hash-Buoy

Hash-Buoy

Here is my Crash Dump File

Attached Files:

12. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Looking at things in that dump file, it's oddly failing in some mono call. However, I do notice you also have some proxy service that hooked in. Qustodio ? Could you try disabling/uninstalling?

Seems like there's some consistency with anti-malware proxy services interfering if that works. If so, let me know as I have clear things to ask the browser integration team to look at.

-Alex

13. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Same for you, seems like Qustodio is installed. Could you test by disabling/uninstalling?

14. Hash-Buoy

Hash-Buoy

I can't find Qustodio in control panel. I searched the whole C drive still no luck.

15. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Hm, maybe I'm off on who it belongs to. I just see a qproxy64.dll

16. Teila

Teila

Ha! Ask your parents, Hash Buoy. I think you just thwarted them, Alex. lol At least Ryan knew it was there.

Alex, is there an authentication server/website that Unity tries to access that might be blocked by Qustodio? I ask because we have used Qustodio for years to keep all my kids from spending more time on games and social media sites than homework. :) They are homeschooled on the computer so it is important.

Is there an exception we could add? I will contact Qustodio to find out if they can help but I need to know where the computer tries to go when it is pulling up the project screen.

We have never had a problem with Qustodio and we have it on other laptops. It just started with the 5.1.1 update. I hate to not allow my kids to use Unity since it is very educational for them...and I have two of them making visual novels with it.

So...any help you can give me that might allow us to pass along to Qustodio to get the two working together would be helpful. Thanks.

You can contact me privately with the info if you prefer.

BTW, uninstalling made it work. So thanks! Again, we had used it for a long time and never had a Unity issue, so something has changed.

17. Teila

Teila

Oh, and fyi, our Desktop computers with Windows 7 all have Qustodio as well and we have no problem with Unity 5.1.1. So it has to be a problem deeper than just Qustodio. Does 8.1 work differently with Unity?

I am asking the same questions of Qustodio.

18. Hash-Buoy

Hash-Buoy

Its a brand new laptop Teila , and I am 25 lol . And there is no Qustodio installed . Alex you might have mixed up with my crash report and Ryan's . I will attach it again please have a look.

Attached Files:

19. Teila

Teila

LOL We have it on our system for the younger kids, not necessarily for Ryan, but it does keep him from getting distracted. :)

My guess is Alex confused the two. However, interesting that it works without Qustodio. Makes me wonder if Qustodio is conflicting with some Windows 8.1 feature and something on your computer is doing the same. It will be great to try Windows 10 in a week or so.

Edit...based on some research it seems it has something to do with how the qustodio dll is inserting itself into the tcp mswsock and causing crashes. Happens with other applications too. I am going to send Qustodio the crash log as well.

Maybe similar issues people are having are related to the same thing.

Thanks so much for you help. It seems it is not a Unity issue after all, thank goodness. :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  20. Hash-Buoy

Hash-Buoy

Possibly there is some conflict , might be Qustodio is blocking Unity's call to server .
    I think in my case there must be some pre-installed OEM software which is causing this issue.
    Still not decided whether to shift so early to Windows 10 , will do when its stable. :)

Your kids are lucky to be homeschooled , I wish my parents had done the same and saved 18 years of my life :(

TonanBora and Teila like this.
  21. Hash-Buoy

Hash-Buoy

Just ran crash dump analysis through an online software , can any one make sense of this ???

Crash Dump Analysis provided by OSR Open Systems Resources, Inc. (http://www.osr.com)
    Online Crash Dump Analysis Service
    See http://www.osronline.com for more information
    Windows 8 Version 9600 MP (8 procs) Free x64
    Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS Personal
    kernel32.dll version: 6.3.9600.17415 (winblue_r4.141028-1500)
    Machine Name:
    Debug session time: Mon Jul 20 12:05:18.000 2015 (UTC - 4:00)
    System Uptime: not available
    Process Uptime: 0 days 0:00:04.000
    Kernel time: 0 days 0:00:00.000
    User time: 0 days 0:00:00.000
    TRIAGER: Could not open triage file : e:\dump_analysis\program\triage\oca.ini, error 2
    TRIAGER: Could not open triage file : e:\dump_analysis\program\winxp\triage.ini, error 2
    TRIAGER: Could not open triage file : e:\dump_analysis\program\triage\user.ini, error 2
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for mono.dll
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for mono.dll
    *******************************************************************************
    * Exception Analysis *
    *******************************************************************************

TRIAGER: Could not open triage file : e:\dump_analysis\program\triage\guids.ini, error 2
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Unity.exe
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Unity.exe
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for LavasoftTcpService64.dll
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for LavasoftTcpService64.dll
    *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for libcef.dll
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for libcef.dll
    TRIAGER: Could not open triage file : e:\dump_analysis\program\triage\modclass.ini, error 2
    GetUrlPageData2 (WinHttp) failed: 12030.
    *** The OS name list needs to be updated! Unknown Windows version: 6.3 ***

FAULTING_IP:
    ntdll!RtlEnterCriticalSection+9
    00007ff8`1ff4b179 f00fba710800 lock btr dword ptr [rcx+8],0

EXCEPTION_RECORD: ffffffffffffffff -- (.exr 0xffffffffffffffff)
    ExceptionAddress: 00007ff81ff4b179 (ntdll!RtlEnterCriticalSection+0x0000000000000009)
    ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation)
    ExceptionFlags: 00000000
    NumberParameters: 2
    Parameter[0]: 0000000000000001
    Parameter[1]: 0000000000000118
    Attempt to write to address 0000000000000118

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: NULL_CLASS_PTR_WRITE

PROCESS_NAME: Unity.exe

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The memory could not be "%s".

EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The memory could not be "%s".

EXCEPTION_PARAMETER1: 0000000000000001

EXCEPTION_PARAMETER2: 0000000000000118

WRITE_ADDRESS: 0000000000000118

FOLLOWUP_IP:
    mono+34190
    00007ff8`05fb4190 ?? ???

NTGLOBALFLAG: 0

APPLICATION_VERIFIER_FLAGS: 0

FAULTING_THREAD: 0000000000001938

PRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS: NULL_CLASS_PTR_WRITE

BUGCHECK_STR: APPLICATION_FAULT_NULL_CLASS_PTR_WRITE

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 00007ff805fb4190 to 00007ff81ff4b179

STACK_TEXT:
    00000000`0f7a89e8 00007ff8`05fb4190 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`0f7a8b40 00000000`00000820 00000001`414ca547 : ntdll!RtlEnterCriticalSection+0x9
    00000000`0f7a89f0 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`0f7a8b40 00000000`00000820 00000001`414ca547 00007ff8`20043000 : mono+0x34190

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 1

SYMBOL_NAME: mono+34190

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: mono

IMAGE_NAME: mono.dll

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 5587aba8

STACK_COMMAND: ~33s; .ecxr ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: NULL_CLASS_PTR_WRITE_c0000005_mono.dll!Unknown

BUCKET_ID: X64_APPLICATION_FAULT_NULL_CLASS_PTR_WRITE_mono+34190

WATSON_STAGEONE_URL: http://watson.microsoft.com/StageOn...736/550f4336/c0000005/0003b179.htm?Retriage=1

22. TonanBora

TonanBora

I see Lavasoft is installed.
    Many others have had this same issue, and uninstalled Lavasoft and it fixed the problem.
    So you might try uninstalling it.

23. Hash-Buoy

Hash-Buoy

I am trying the same thing . I uninstalled lavasoft , but still there are few dll remaining in System32 folder. I am not able to delete those as dasHost.exe was using it . So I stopped that task through task manager. Now it says you can't delete this file as it is opened in Windows explorer . Currently trying to resolve that.

24. Hash-Buoy

Hash-Buoy

FFFFFFFFFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my Unity running :)
    Thanks to this video all the lavasoft crap is gone.

The dll are still present in the explorer, but it doesn't matter as long as Unity works :)
    BEST DAY OF MY LIFE !!!

Teila likes this.
  25. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

There was a request to handle user/pass through proxies for our updated browser integration in the editor. I think this is not functioning correctly at the moment. Unfortunately, the dev to answer is on vacation at the moment....

So, the hopeful answer is we'll probably fix it eventually. Unfortunately, the short term is that it's broken. :(

Teila likes this.
  26. Teila

Teila

Thank you, Alex! :) Hope is all we need at the moment and we will be patient.

27. Jeremy Ferland

Jeremy Ferland

28. Teila

Teila

I talked to the folks at Qustodio and they returned an email to me with a solution on their end. I don't know if this is something Unity wants to do, but it would be a huge help to my family. Please let me know what you think. I can forward the original email if you prefer. We can not use Windows 10 with Unity either so are struggling to make this all work. Thanks.

Hi there,

Qustodio allows for IPs to be added as “Ignore” exceptions that will allow for all traffic for this IPs to be ignored by Qustodio. If you know the IPs used by Unity you can add them as exceptions and thus resolve the issue.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Have a great day.

Best regards,

Tomàs
    Customer Success Team
    www.qustodio.com
    Monday – Friday 8am to 8pm (GMT+1)

29. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

An ignore whitelist is really not a great solution here at all. It's not a good long term solution.
    Also, it simply doesn't make sense that it's crashing us by simply by hooking the fetch of content for the project browser.

30. Teila

Teila

Okay, then I guess I need to find another visual novel solution for my daughters. Maybe someone has a suggestion that is not Unity? Unfortunately, they can't use it anymore, which is too bad since they were in the middle of an art project. Fortunately, artwork can be moved.

I don't think it is a good solution either but since 5.1.1, we can't keep Unity working. It will work for a short time and then crash. Right now, we have one laptop that is working as long as we never shut it down but that won't last forever. Once we shut down Unity, it won't open again and we have to reinstall Windows once again to get it to work.

31. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Sorry, I was a bit brief in my statement. We're still investigating what we can do, but was just pointing out their offered solution isn't a very good one for us.

Edit: uh...re-install windows? Is this something new with Win 10? This is new to us.

32. Teila

Teila

Windows 10 doesn't work with Unity for us either....well, it does, but only if we never shut down Unity. :) Once we do, we can't get it back in again.

But it started with Windows 8.1 and 5.1.0. In order to get Unity to work, we had to reinstall Windows. We are not sure if the problem lies with Unity leaving behind something that affects the proxy or if it is Qustodio, but no matter how well we cleaned the registry, we couldn't get rid of whatever it was that caused the problem.

Btw, we have no problem with Windows 7, so our last resort will be to buy an OEM copy of Windows 7, since it is difficult to get a retail version and put that on the laptop. It is a weird thing.

I know you are trying to help and I do appreciate that. I have considered trying other options for our kids but fear that if this is a proxy issue, and since it has trouble with other monitoring software like Lavasoft, I don't want to start purchasing and installing software that won't work or will cause other issues.

Oh, and sadly, Windows 10 has totally destroyed windows monitoring system so can't use that anymore.

33. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Can you fill in more of what's the behavior? Could you copy the "installed" Unity somewhere (or even version control) to see what changes after the first run?

34. Teila

Teila

Since Ryan has been limited on the work he can do and is far behind, he doesn't want to do anything that might prevent him from working. However, I can do this with our Windows 8.1 laptop. It is the same issues we have had all along.

My guess is that when we start it the second time, Qustodio has kicked in and is interfering with Unity.

How would I see the changes other than what I have told you already?

35. Teila

Teila

New report...

Ryan shut down Unity and started it again and 1.1.2 is working and he is able to open the project.

However, Ryan tells me that his past experience has been that it usually works for a week and then stops. He thinks, and I have no idea if this is true, that Unity syncs it's servers once a week so maybe that has something to do with it.

So...we will watch and see if that happens this time. Maybe you could check into that?

At least for now, we can get some work done. :)

36. Fantastic Worlds Studio

Fantastic Worlds Studio

Holy crap, I'm glad I'm on Linux...

37. Teila

Teila

lol

I actually threatened Ryan that I would install Linux on his machine. Unfortunately, he needs Windows for his programming classes in college.

38. Fantastic Worlds Studio

Fantastic Worlds Studio

Actually, you can program anything (all languages) on Linux.

39. Teila

Teila

It is required by the college that he have windows due to the software used.

40. lucvovan

lucvovan

Unity Technologies

I have found that it crashes because of web companion. If you can uninstall web companion as a workaround. I'm working on making them play nice together.

41. Teila

Teila

We do not have web companion (Lavasoft) on our computer unless it is labeled something else and hard to find. :) However, Unity is working fine for the moment. We are still waiting for that weekly sync to see if it stops.

42. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

We haven't heard of another case yet still, but I hope you have a directory stored away to compare against?
    I asked around to see what might be weekly, but couldn't find anything for a weekly check. Awaiting to hear what happens.

43. Teila

Teila

Hmm, that is interesting. Maybe it is not Unity but something else that happens weekly. Thanks for that information.

44. Senkgoky

Senkgoky

We have the same problem with Unity 64 bit version (32 bit version works fine) and the problem was the lavasoft dlls, so we rename them and then Unity works fine

45. Osirius

Osirius

Same problem here - Unity 5.1.2f1 - Worked initially but now crashes when launching, creating new project or accessing asset store (can launch by opening scene file).
    Fresh Windows 10, all Lavasoft related things removed (followed the video Hash Buoy posted above) and nothing else installed that should interfere (Firewall off, all anti-virus software uninstalled and removed, no VPN software, etc).

Unity doesn't launch Bug Reporter nor does it create a crash dump when it crashes but I can see the word "Crash!!!" in the "Users/name/AppData/Local/Unity/Editor/" file.
    Also, not sure if it could be related, but in that file it seems to think my OS version is 'Windows 7 (6.1.7600) 64bit' and it seems to be crashing right after the "Using monoOptions" line.

Something I HAVE noticed though, is the link it gives in that file to the Mono config path is:
    Code (csharp):
    1. C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/Mono/etc
    When in actual fact, the link to the Mono config is:
    Code (csharp):
    1. C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Mono\etc\mono
    None of that is probably relevant or helpful but I thought I'd mention it anyway, this bug is driving me mad ><

46. sbloom85

sbloom85

I'm running 5.1.2f1. Here's the error log

47. Osirius

Osirius

Managed to fix my issue!

The problem was, as previously suggested, Lavasoft dlls in System32. Interestingly, I'd checked a few times and they weren't there. Checked today and it found 2. They were an absolute NIGHTMARE to remove; had to unregister them, change permissions, rename and then change file extension and it finally vanished. Can't just delete it as it hooks various system processes. Horrible program.

Anyway, to people with this problem, search your System32 folder for "Lava" and get rid of anything it finds.

48. sbloom85

sbloom85

I tried doing that, but I can't get rid of lavasofttcpservice64.dll. Windows says it's being used by dasHost.exe, so Unity still doesn't work.

49. Hash-Buoy

Hash-Buoy

Hey sbloom , I was facing the exact same issue . I uninstalled lavasoft webcompanion but still can't get the dlls removed from the system as they were used by dasHost.exe.

Please check my above post i have shared how to get rid of those dlls.
    I am pasting the video link again. I was successfully able to launch unity after I followed this video.

50. Osirius

Osirius

Those .dlls don't let you remove them but they DO allow you to rename them.
    As long as you have administrator access (and can change file extensions), then just rename it to DELETE.txt or something and restart your computer. This will stop it being loaded on boot and will allow you to delete it :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    sbloom85 likes this.