Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unreal Engine 4 FREE...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrUnO-XaVIeR, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

2. Neoku

Neoku

3. thedreamer

thedreamer

Competition is beautiful

konsnos, elias_t and BrUnO-XaVIeR like this.
  4. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

5% royalties on whatever money you make is definetly not free. :D

Vapid-Linus, XCO, Kiux01 and 10 others like this.
  5. Neoku

Neoku

poor Hippocoder, he will be crazy with this news and threads about.

6. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Goodbye Unity3d. Your price/subscription model has failed.

7. boromir6

boromir6

This is crazy. I'm honestly considering porting my current project to UE4. I'd really like to know how Unity is supposed to compete with this.

8. LaneFox

LaneFox

Neat!

9. JuniezV2

JuniezV2

it's great that they're recognizing the significant concerns of entry costs for what is essentially a hobby for a great deal of people

WillBellJr likes this.
  10. thxfoo

thxfoo

11. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

received the email 5 mn ago. Wanted to rush on the forum to see how many threads about it popped up already... lol
    at least I posted before it got closed. Waiting for the big announcement AT GDC. good bye thread.

12. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

yeah, something that unity will never do. they milking as long as it goes.

13. JuniezV2

JuniezV2

there's always unity 3d free edition now in direct competition with a full featured industry proven engine with a minimal catch

lol//

14. Neoku

Neoku

this thread will be closed but Unreal is FREEEEEEEE.

ZJP and BrUnO-XaVIeR like this.
  15. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

unity vs unreal? do you really want to go down that road? rofl

16. MurDocINC

MurDocINC

Sweet, now I got more people to play UT3 with.

17. thxfoo

thxfoo

Yey, what I predicted in the other thread when the site went offline.

A good deal for me ;-)
    Pay 19$ get 30$.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  18. TheValar

TheValar

This is pretty great news! You can bet that this would never have happened without healthy competition from Unity. As far as Unity not being able to compete, I can only speak for myself but I don't think I'm going anywhere. Unity still allows me to develop stuff much quicker than what I could achieve with Unreal (probably) and as it has been said numerous times before, any commercially successful project will probably pay more from 5% royalties.

All that being said I'm a free user so my loyalty may not be that important :p

MurDocINC likes this.
  19. tiggus

tiggus

Depends, for me Unity is $2900(made a few bucks on some ios games) whereas UE4 is $0.

pushingpandas likes this.
  20. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I've been working with their Tech for close to a year... And I gotta tell you I'll gladly drop them those 5% with a gigantic smile on my face and never looking back.

21. Neoku

Neoku

The only way that Unity can better this offer is pay to developers for use Unity.

22. alt.tszyu

alt.tszyu

No, but all of its "Unity Pro" features are free to use for more than 30 days without selling one of my kidneys to pay for a license. Or use some shady method.

Now I can try this thing called BluePrint and see what the fuss is about.

edit: Lets see what Unity announces.

pushingpandas likes this.
  23. Teila

Teila

Very sad....it means the announcement on Wednesday will be overlooked just like it was last year. :(

I hate the Walmarts of the world. They succeed by undercutting everyone else, and this one is getting money from some huge Chinese conglomerate.

24. yoonitee

yoonitee

It's good but doesn't affect me much as Unreal Engine doesn't work fast on my Laptop or my MacBook Air.
    And their mobile support looks dubious.
    And as I mostly make stuff for mobile on my laptop...

But you know, as a fun toy to play with, its nice.

Hang on, that means that that everyone who previously paid for Unreal Engine were just financing the development of a free product... do you feel a bit cheated? :confused:

@Teila - what announcement? Is there a secret announcement?

alt.tszyu likes this.
  25. Neoku

Neoku

The market is a game and this game is won by Unreal.

gridside likes this.
  26. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

unreal = open sourcecode = faster development of engine = more, better updates and upgrade.

gridside, Grimwolf and BrUnO-XaVIeR like this.
  27. tiggus

tiggus

Not quite the right analogy though, it isn't like unreal is some cheap knockoff. It would be more like nordstroms undercutting walmart..

Teila likes this.
  28. alt.tszyu

alt.tszyu

Yeah, I think for mobile Unity is king. But there are those who don't care for mobile.
    Yes. New toys are always fun to play with. :)

29. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Oh, it is so on.

30. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

This is the #1 reason I've dropped aside all my Unity Pro Licenses (even Unity 5 Pro) and got onboard.
    Unity Tech should've understood that; in the very same second UE4 came around I knew how fast the engine would grow (and still growing waaayy too fast).

gridside and shkar-noori like this.
  31. BTStone

BTStone

Well, to be fair UE4 is NOT an industry proven engine. Afaik there are almost no games out there made with UE4.
    UE3 may be industry proven and battle-tested, but since UE4 is built from the ground up (for sure there are similarities between UE3 and UE4), open-source AND in an continous development I wouldn't say it's battle-tested.

32. alt.tszyu

alt.tszyu

So what you're saying is that Unity Pro 5 will also be free? And that I can continue to leverage my C# skills?
    Gotcha! ;)

33. Imre

Imre

If u make less than 3k$ per. Quarter. Per. Product - it is!

34. yoshirotee

yoshirotee

Hi fyi they actually returned me the amount of money in form of balance in my account that I have spent so far for the recent subscription. I think the balance is use for purchase marketplace assets.

yoonitee likes this.
  35. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

5% After the first 3k per quarter to be precise. It is not 5% straight up.

Just saying :)

BrUnO-XaVIeR likes this.
  36. yoonitee

yoonitee

How are they making money then? Presumably some people are paying their 5%? Or are they not making money perhaps yet and this is a desperate measure? I wish I could see their finances!
    @yoshirotee yeah i got some marketplace vouchers too.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  37. Neoku

Neoku

Really the most costly of a software is the I+D the in the stage of maintenance and upgrading the cost are minors then for Unreal this model is fine.

38. JuniezV2

JuniezV2

it's largely financed by big name studios buying special commercial licenses upfront as well as profits from ue3 which was pretty much a standard go-to engine

WillBellJr and BrUnO-XaVIeR like this.
  39. Kondor0

Kondor0

Nice, I'll probably try it after I finish my current Unity project.

That said, more games would be made with UE4 if their fans actually work with it instead of wasting time in the Unity forums (I've always found that weird).

40. zenGarden

zenGarden

Shocking news , game dev is becoming very affordable for all people now, even with big engines. Thanks Mr Epic.

Unity stays the more easy to use, and has C# out of the box, better 2D support and plugins, better mobile support.
    But Unity for big games has now a big challenger , now everyone can download UE4 engine and make a game directly :eek:

How will react Crysis with their subscription , because it don't make lot of sense, perhaps royaltie free, but some tools on Crysis SDK requires you to pay a license.

And what will be UT5 announcement baceuse people making BIG games for desktop, a lot i feel will jump to UE4 now.

41. Compressed

Compressed

This is good, Unity needs to feel more pressure since they have gotten pretty lazy with their pretty much monopoly, before the ue4 came.
    Now we can look forward to more speedy updates and many new features, since they will be necessary if unity wants to stay alive .
    I don't plan switching to UE4, but i am sure glad it is around.

42. adventurefan

adventurefan

That's a pretty massive announcement.

I bought Pro for my indie projects and I'll still be paying it off for a year... so ouch.

Maybe Unity will throw us some kind of bone. We'll see I guess.

43. Josh-Naylor

Josh-Naylor

Administrator

44. Grimwolf

Grimwolf

Is it per-product? That doesn't sound right.
    If you're paying royalties on a per-product basis, that seems like it'd be a nightmare to manage.

45. Neoku

Neoku

I hope that this has a lession for some Unity Team members and treat better the community, in spite of everything i will be using unity in my actual project whataver happens.

shkar-noori likes this.
  46. yoonitee

yoonitee

Ah I see. So they get money from the big guys. But also the benefit of all the feedback from the indie community. Interesting. It's a win-win-win.

I think I will start selling software using this model!

BrUnO-XaVIeR likes this.
  47. tango209

tango209

Sometimes I think I must be taking crazy pills... so much hype over a $19 a month saving.

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

they seam to be quiet despred to get there market share. I would laught so hard if this would backfire one day. *let the hate come*
    However I dont care. I will stick with Unity but competition is always welcome. Hopefully this will mean that all these UE4 is so much better threads will stop to appear.

keep on rocking Unity!

49. daville

daville

When Unreal4 First anounced their new subscription plan, and we all said to Unity to change their business model (at least on subscription to compete with UE4), they took like a week or two to answer, and their answer was something like

"we don't see any problem with our model, we've had no effect on our sales, and we're still cheaper because we have the free version"

This I find it so naive, they're not taking into cosideration that Unity's subscription is a 1 year commitment, you can't cancel it before that, in UE4 back in that day you could just pay once, and cancel no forced time... and obviusly they would not see any difference on their user base, because most of them are inside that 1 year plan, they can drop out, but now it's almost like a year after that... my subscription expires in about 3 months.

Sadly I love Unity, buth there's a Point where you just can't defend something without sounding ridiculously dogmatic.

Even if I make 3,000 per quarter per product I would be paying $37.5 per month wich is Way less than the $245 I pay each month, even if I make $0 revenue.

This is truly insane... yes there is the Free version of Unity, but I'm not interested in that, that's not full featured, where the now Free version of Unreal is Fully featured, and free if you earn less than 3,000...

Honestly Unity needs to change or will lose lots of their Userbase...

uni7y, truefx001, Ryiah and 1 other person like this.
  50. LaneFox

LaneFox

"Indies".

Dreamaster and TwiiK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.