Search Unity

Unofficial Unity Community Art Challenge! - Sep 2015

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Serinx, Aug 31, 2015.

?

What theme would you prefer?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2015.
  1. Apocalyptic

20.0%
  2. Angels and Demons

20.0%
  3. Makeshift (Anything made of random junk/parts/objects)

20.0%
  4. The Ship (Spaceship, Pirate ship, anything that could be considered a ship)

40.0%
  1. Serinx

Serinx

Hey Guys,

Decided to start an unofficial Unity Community Art Challenge since a few people seem interested. I'm not organising prizes or anything this is just for fun. The winner can be decided by a poll at the end of the month (or something else if anyone has a better idea?)

ENDED - I will also do a poll for the Theme which I'll leave running for a few days.

The theme is The Ship

Same rules copied from the official challenge:

1. Participants will have till the end of the month (September, 30th) to submit their Final Entry

2. Final Entry must be a "Diorama/Turntable" showcasing the theme. We ask that you use Sketchfab to post your final result here on the forum.

3. Polycount Limitation for this Challenge is 5000 Vertices. Only ever use as many polygons as necessary to define a shape! This is a game art challenge after all! Make use of normal maps etc to give your textures/meshes more detail.

4. You can use normal maps, specular maps etc to enhance your work visually. Perhaps try to combine textures onto one texture sheet if possible for efficiency, however it's not a requirement. There is no restriction on how many textures you can use but keep in mind that this is a game art challenge so don't go too crazy.

5. Entrants must post at least 1 WIP (Work in Progress) Screenshot before submitting their Final Entry. We suggest you post more and get feedback! Please visit https://help.sketchfab.com/hc/en-us/sections/200485707-Uploading-3D-Models for further information on how to use and upload to Sketchfab.

6. Your final entries must be submitted through Sketchfab. Please tag your final submission with: "UUCAC1". - Note the extra U for "Unofficial" :)

7. No previous work can be used. This essentially means that you should create everything from scratch!

8. No nudity or gross violence please! Keep it clean and fun for everyone!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    ChrisSch and xenius like this.
  2. Serinx

Serinx

If you want to quickly add an idea for a theme I'll accept the first couple (since I'm terrible at theme ideas :p)

3. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

I like all of those, but I'm playing EVE Online right now so I'd like to see spaceships. :p

EDIT: Also I think us who won't be participating should be able to vote too. A lot of us followed those challenges and are interested in them. Its easy for the participants to choose what they know to make best. :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  4. Serinx

Serinx

Alright I've taken that out, just wanted to make sure there will be some participants besides me. I'm definitely at the lower end of the spectrum :p

So far looks like The Ship will be the theme, get your votes in before the poll ends if you don't like that!

ChrisSch likes this.
  5. IronDuke

IronDuke

SHIPSHIPSHIPSHIPSHIPSHIPSHIPSHIPSHIPSHIPSHIPSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah!
    I shall participate if at all possible!

--IronDuke

P.S. Specifically, SPACESHIP!!!!!

6. Serinx

Serinx

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for not replying sooner. Looks like the theme is "The Ship"!

Looks like you got your wish!

All participants can get started and get posting some WIPs!

Cheers

IronDuke and ChrisSch like this.
  7. IronDuke

IronDuke

And K9 is NOT blocking sketchfab, so I can indeed participate.
    <spoiler> Prepare for police assault! </spoiler>

Serinx likes this.
  8. IronDuke

IronDuke

My entry: A police heavy interceptor.
    The model is just a rough model that I whipped up in under twelve hours of work, so it has room for improvement, but I really like it so far.

And here's some pretty screenies: Front.png
    Back.png

A little background now.
    When the police requested a special heavy interceptor to deal with the increased levels of piracy, they had planned to name it something epic; the Enforcer, for example. But when the design was revealed, its appearance was so like a salmon that it was quickly named after the fish, despite protests from the more senior officers in the police. For all that it has a silly name and shape, it is very effective. It has tremendous speed, decent firepower and hull strength, and excellent shielding.

BLAH BLAH BLAH get to the real stuff!!!
    All right, all right.

What I still have to do is (in order):
    Add small details like dockports, point-defense turrets, maneuvering thrusters, la de da.
    Increase the poly count till I hit that 5000 vertice limit - nowhere near it yet!
    Create the UV maps - this is a rough model and I never touched the UVs.
    Texture it. Probably going to be the hardest part for me.
    Have some ice cream to celebrate.

Where's everyone else??:D

--IronDuke

P.S. Wish there were prizes...:( Maybe if enough people participate, Unity will reopen the official art challenge!:D

ChrisSch and Serinx like this.
  9. Serinx

Serinx

Great start :) Interested to see how this one will turn out, the flying fish!

10. IronDuke

IronDuke

Salmon modelling complete:
    Completed Model 1.png Completed Model 2.png
    Heavy lookin' beast!
    Size is 44 meters length. You can see a chair in the cockpit perched on the front, for a good size visual.
    Armament ('cause what would a spaceship be without guns? :p) twin rapid cannons left, single plasma cannon right, eight point defense turrets. (Kill missiles and five-meter fighters, stuff like that.)
    Positively pockmarked with thrusters for ultimate 6DOF piloting. (Big one in the very middle is actually a dockport...)
    And best of all? 4983 vertices!! :D
    Just gotta fix up the UVs so I can post screenies without rendering flat polys, and then texture it.

I decided to kill two birds with one stone and use this ship for a space game I was already working on, so every inch of the ship fits into the game's lore and gameplay mechanics.

Is anyone else participating?

--IronDuke

P.S. Yes, in my game, that protruding front section does detach. Always liked the detachable bridge or "Command Section" concept since I played I-War.

Edit: Typo

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    ChrisSch likes this.
  11. IronDuke

IronDuke

Another screenie:
    Smoothing.png

Fixed up the smoothing as best as I could, but it gets real nasty around those thrusters and turrets. I'm hoping the dark paint job I'm planning will help conceal the figgletty bits, because I'm pressed for both time and vertices.
    All that's left now is to create the UV maps and texture it. I plan to finish that by the end of today.

--IronDuke

P.S. The thrusters look kinda bad because I couldn't figure out how to add light bloom in Blender. :oops:

Edit: clarity

holliebuckets and ChrisSch like this.
  12. IronDuke

IronDuke

IT'S DONE!!:D

FEAST THINE EYES ON GORGEOUSNESS!!!
    Now it's nap time...:p

I switched from a police ship to a raceship because why not and I am not all that good at texturing, and I was kind of out of polys for blinky lights, AND I had no time left. It's still awesome though!

--IronDuke

P.S. Sketchfab rocks! Putting up the model was a piece of cake.

ChrisSch likes this.
  13. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Looks great! I like the shiny inside too. :D
    Too bad someone else didn't participate too. I wish I could have but I've had a hectic month, and barely time to do even the regular asset work. :p

14. IronDuke

IronDuke

You're not supposed to see the inside, goofy! :p
    Although you probably noticed the columns. They were a trick to free up verts from thrusters, for use elsewhere. See if you can figure out how.:)
    One thing I can never get enough of is that Sketchfab actually models polys double-sided. In Blender, the inside was transparent. I guess this means there'll be fewer holes, right?

--IronDuke

P.S. Try putting the camera right where a head would be, in front of the headrest on the chair. The view is amazing, and kind of reminds me of the Vulture from Elite: Dangerous.:cool:

15. Debhon

Debhon

I always read the official community art challenge before and it was very interesting see all the designs and Sketchfab's so i will follow this thread.

Awesome ship IronDuke!

16. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Yes I know I'm not suppose too, but I took a peek and it looks nice. :D
    Also, I think I saw a setting in Sketchfab to choose between doublesided rendering or not. I'm pretty sure its there and you can choose whether you want only single side, or both, rendered.