Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UnityVS aquired by Microsoft and free* [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tango209, Jul 2, 2014.

1. tango209

tango209

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Whoa, that's surprising. Pretty interesting though; it seems Microsoft is taking Unity very seriously. Maybe they will actually kick in some support to help Unity's abysmal .NET problems.

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  3. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

It's free?! Are you for real?! YESSSSSS

4. kenlem

kenlem

I would prefer MS to avoid helping Unity out in anyway. Nothing good can come of it.

5. Mauri

Mauri

No reason to see entirely black. Maybe Microsoft did some mistakes in the past. But as long as Microsoft don't acquire Unity, I don't see any problems :D

6. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Oooh...i was just about to creating a thread about this......

7. schmosef

schmosef

This is great news.

After spending a few minutes in Monodevelop I gladly purchased UnityVS.

I could not imagine Unity development without it.

inafield likes this.
  8. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

Um what exactly is unityVS? Its a debug plugin for VS right? Cause I can already debug with VS and unity. It has intellisense and everything. When I click an error, it will go to that line for me in visual studio. Is there something I missed?

9. tango209

tango209

Yes, it will allow you to set break points and step through the code as it is running and more. From their site http://unityvs.com/:

Debugging
    Connect Visual Studio's debugger to Unity to debug your scripts. Put breakpoints, inspect and modify variables and arguments and evaluate complex expressions to fix bugs promptly.
    Launch from Visual Studio
    Don't leave your favorite development environment to debug your scripts. You just have to press F5.
    Productivity
    UnityVS is packed with productivity features: code snippets, wizards, tool windows such as the Unity project explorer. UnityVS sends the Unity console directly to Visual Studio.

10. tango209

tango209

Except for better integration with one of the best IDE's around. :rolleyes:

11. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

Oh my that sounds wonderful. Happy that it is free now haha

12. tango209

tango209

Looks like it will only be for VS Professional and above for the time being.

From the comments in my original link:

I would note that it's relatively easy (at least in the U.S.) to get into BizSpark which gets you an MSDN subscription 3 years among other goodies.

http://www.microsoft.com/bizspark/

rakkarage and AnomalusUndrdog like this.
  13. Metron

Metron

Great! I met those guys @GDC in 2013 and I'm happy for them. I purchased multiple licenses because it's really a great tool!

14. Trexug

Trexug

This is absolutely excellent news. I can barely contain myself :D

15. minionnz

minionnz

That's shortsighted - Microsoft have changed a lot over the past few years, and now have a huge focus on open-source, community-driven software. And the idea that Microsoft taking ownership of a plugin designed to run on a Microsoft product is somehow bad news?

This is probably the best news I've heard about Unity for a while.

16. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

This is really awesome news. Between the Dreamspark and the Bizspark program a lot of people can get VS Professional 2013 for free, and now with UnityVS being free Monodevelop can kiss my ass.

Any news on when it will be available? I'm still seeing the $99 per year on their site.

17. c-Row

c-Row

Meanwhile in MonoDevelop on OSX...

GeneBox, Teremo, GCatz and 1 other person like this.
  18. tango209

tango209

Per the comment thread on the original link:

19. Moonjump

Moonjump

Note that this is a case of Microsoft helping developers who use Unity rather than helping Unity.

I have had several dealings with Microsoft recently, including Microsoft Unity Porting Days. They are pushing to get more app developers on board and I found them really helpful.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  20. Murgilod

Murgilod

Monodevelop on OSX doesn't even support mouse scrolling on OSX if you have a Logitech mouse with the drivers installed. This has been a problem for ages and there's no fix in sight.

21. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I really miss debugging in VS so that's really great news for me!

22. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Brilliant.

death to monodevelop!

inafield likes this.
  23. User340

User340

Brilliant.

death to unity on OS X!

24. Murgilod

Murgilod

There are plenty of far better IDEs on OSX that Unity could integrate instead of Monodevelop.

25. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I only use OSX to do the final compile...

so gonna shove that in the 'not my problem' basket ;)

ps. install windows on mac. profit.

@Murgilod What are they? I assume its not xcode ;)

inafield and tango209 like this.
  26. Yukichu

Yukichu

I was denied for BizSpark, so it's not that easily. Luckily I took a college class and had a .edu email address, so DreamSpark worked without a hitch.

This is pretty cool news.

27. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Sure, but they don't want to integrate a different "build in" IDE for each platform, which is fair enough, and I'm unaware of any better IDEs for Unity's languages that are available for both OSX and Windows. There's more than just one thing to consider here...

28. Dabeh

Dabeh

That's amazing, I literally was about to buy UnityVS. I had been holding it off and I just recently got tired of seeing the constant popup for wanting my trial key since my last one expired.

29. pete1061

pete1061

Hey MonoDevelop....

Buh.............BYE!

30. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Microsoft takes a lot of flak but the different divisions within that company work very very differently. The business side tends to drum up controversy but the actual technical side is great to work with. I've had lunch with Scott Hanselman, email exchanges with some of the evangelists and a great experience with one of the guys that were on the Silverlight development team. They actually listened to my feedback, discussed it with me, and implemented a feature between the Silveright 4 RC and the official release which I thought was phenomenal.

I think they do a good job of supporting their development community and I'm excited to see what they do with UnityVS. I think we can look forward to even better Visual Studio integration and since MS has a partnership with Unity, they probably have a direct pipeline to improve Unity integration as well.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    landon912 and tango209 like this.
  31. Murgilod

Murgilod

The state of Monodevelop on both Windows /and/ OSX is completely shameful. Whether or not they want to support two IDEs should be superseded by the fact that the current one is borderline unusable in some cases.

32. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Quite true. Seeing as this would probably continue in either the Visual Studios or game frameworks division, chances are that it should have a good life as those departments typically have their S*** together.

Monodev definitely needs some work done on it, but it's probably for the best that UT only worries about just it for IDEs. I would love to see third parties fill the void and work on extensions to other environments though.

Hell, is there anything for vim or emacs?

33. Murgilod

Murgilod

I can't even scroll in monodevelop because of problems with how the OSX version interacts with Logitech drivers. Often times it doesn't even launch. Monodevelop should have been outright replaced on both platforms ages ago.

Ryiah likes this.
  34. Amon

Amon

This is good news. I tried the trial version a few months ago and it worked perfectly with VS. I was planning to purchase but seeing as now it will be released free and is owned by MS I'll wait eagerly.

35. jvt619

jvt619

any news when will the free UnityVS gets released?

36. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Nope, basically just a "coming soon" type of comment from a 'Softie. I'm sure it won't be long.

37. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Is there anything that can reasonably replace it though for both platforms? Is there anything else that they can actually bundle in a normal install that will just work out of the box?

38. Murgilod

Murgilod

Nothing will work just out of the box. Hell, Monodevelop barely does. But now might by a good time for Unity to start talking to Microsoft about maybe offering a free version of VS specifically with UnityVS integration for the Windows version and literally any other IDE on OSX. At this point, even Xcode integration would be an improvement.

39. jp122

jp122

Hopefully, Microsoft will acquire Xamarin as well, and change the licensing structure for developing iOS and Android applications.

40. Moonjump

Moonjump

I still use Unitron that was bundled with Unity until recently on the Mac. Much prefer it to Mono Develop.

ippdev likes this.
  41. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

As much as I would like to see that happen, I can't imagine there being a time when installing unity actually requires installing a separate IDE. Although UnityVS express might not be too bad of an idea if it was packaged like the current MonoDevelop.

I have to admit, I don't think I even knew what that was. I think I only ever opened it on accident and didn't figure out what it did.

42. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Or they could do as they're planning, which is moving Unity-specific MD features into a plugin so that they're not stuck on a years-old release.

I agree that it's... less than idea to bundle such a piece of software in its current state, but that doesn't mean that throwing it away entirely is the best option.

43. Ryuuguu

Ryuuguu

Was just about to buy UnityVS. Hope it is available again soon. I just started port a large boo project (written by someone else) and lack code completion and go to declaration is a major problem. even at full price for VS pro it will be worth it.

44. Nikola-B

Nikola-B

I am pretty anxious to get my hands on this. I hope it won't take too long for it to become available from Microsoft.

45. bigdaddio

bigdaddio

Any news on this?

46. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

I kept watching their twitter feed everyday and they say that they are transitioning into Microsoft and that it will be ready for deployment soon. Soon is a pretty ambiguous word IMO......

47. Teila

Teila

We have the same issue. Just as we were about to buy, Microsoft acquired the software and now waiting for the release. Hope it happens soon as it is stalling development.

48. Graph

Graph

word on the grapevine is "beginning of this week" to we should<hopefully> have an initial release within the next 4 days

Teila likes this.
  49. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Hell yes! Thanks for the heads up.

50. Graph

Graph

mind you i'm not an employee of syntaxxTree of microsoft; i just have big ears :p