Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UnityScript Editor 2.0.8

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by SolusHunter, May 3, 2010.

1. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

I would like to announce the availability of a UnityScript (Javascript) Editor for Windows (.net framework 3.5 required).

It features syntax highlighting, intelliprompt, and function parameter tips. It will save your window position and size, automatically indent your code to make it easy to read, create standard variables and functions with just a click of the mouse. It can even display the most recent script errors from Unity.

I'm releasing it as Donationware so if you'd like to try out an alternative editor for UnityScript then please give it a whirl.

For full details and download:
    http://www.arsoftware.co.uk/products/unityscript-editor

How To's:
    Create a variable declaration
    If you typing in lots of code it is often easy to forget to declare the variable. Simply right click on your variable name and select Create Global/Local Variable from the context menu, select the type and hey-presto the variable declaration will be inserted into the correct place.

Create Standard Functions
    Can't remember how a standard Unity function is set up, just click the Functions drop down above the code window and select the one you need. It will be inserted at the bottom of your code ready to go.

New in Version 2.5
    Completely revamped UI, now with dockable tool panels.
    Added user guide browser within interface
    Fixed Save As menu option
    Completely rewritten Unity integration to massively improve stability when moving back and forth between the editor and Unity3D
    New editing options: comment line, comment block, duplicate line, transpose line up and down
    Added secondary file explorer for access to whole system even when working at a project level
    Open CScript and other text files in USE (no highlighting)

New in Version 2.6
    Added shortcut key for Comment Multiple lines
    Scheme colours are now fully editable within USE>Preferences, with this the dark, grey and mline schemes have been removed. You will need to reconfigure the editor to your liking.
    Added new Project Files List window that only displays categorized script files; Javascript, C-Sharp, Boo, Shaders, generic text files. As with other file list windows you can double click to open the file.
    USE will now jump on top when a file is double clicked from within Unity.
    Added prevention method to hopefully stop USE from locking up in rare occasions when going from a running game in Unity back to USE.
    Added iPhone intelliprompt support files.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Nice. Wish this worked under OSX. We really need a better editor than Unitron.

3. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

I did try to develop it for both Mac and Windows but there were too many obstacles unfortunately :(

4. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Whoops, there seems to have been a bit of a glitch that's caused when Unity loads up the editor. For some odd reason it was telling the editor that it had started in unity's folder.

I've sorted out the problem and uploaded a new installer.

5. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Cool juice. Looks good. I would suggest trying to convert it to mac with monodevelop :D.

6. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

VERSION 1.1.0 released.

This update includes more definition descriptions for the UnityScript language, and the intelliprompts will now display a tooltip description for the highlighted command.

Also, there is a new option to toggle the sorting of the intelliprompt lists or have them displayed in the same order as they appear in the Unity Script Reference.

http://www.arsoftware.co.uk/products_unityscripteditor_features.php

7. cerebrate

cerebrate

Does intelliprompt work for classes you make? Because I've been using a program called Unitydevelop, and it has intelliprompt also, but only for built in unity classes. Intelliprompt also seems to break in unitydevelop if you make your own class. Does yours?

8. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Intelliprompt is currently capable of showing variable functions and properties, and UnityScript built in keywords, enumerations and attributes.

Can you post an example of the sort of thing you're looking for and I'll see if it's possible.

Variable handling:
    If you have the line:
    var testObject : GameObject;
    Any use of testObject will trigger the intellipromt entries for the GameObject.

9. Ramen Sama

Ramen Sama

oh, this looks very good! Going to try it out tonight!

10. allen

allen

This program is fantastic, exactly what I was looking for.

So far the only issue is it won't save my editor font choice when I exit it.

11. Ramen Sama

Ramen Sama

I'll post the first issue i had. when you close a document, the variables remain, and of course,clicking on them causes program errors.

Another thing, you can open multiple copies of the same file. This isn't something i can see a use for. But if you are working on a script file, and there's an error, and you double click the error in the consle, it just opens up a new file. Plus, if you have an error, it doesn't go to that line.

12. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

I'm going to go through the mentioned items above this weekend.

I'm in the progress of adding a proper preferences window and I will resolve the editor font saving issue at the same time.

I believe that one of the other script editors has problems jumping to a specific line when the error console is double-clicked. I'll need to take a look and see what information if anything is passed through from Unity.

EDIT:

Just a quick update to say I have resolved all the issues mentioned above. And the preferences window is completed and the font settings are now correctly applied. I'm still looking into the error line jumping, and depending on my progress I'll release this new build tonight.

13. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Update:

I've found a solution to allow UnityScript Editor to jump to the correct line from the error log in Unity.

It turns out that Unity doesn't pass the line number to any external application other than the built-in UniSciTE one. So, I've created a version that can replace the built in one and can then handle the line number being passed across.

I will be looking into the installer so that it can install my editor but rename the existing UniSciTe in case of uninstalling, or, in failing that I'll post instructions in how to do it manually.

I'll keep you posted.

14. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Version 1.2.0 is now available for download.

This version will now automatically preselect the Unity installation folder so it can quickly and easily replace the UniSciTe (it renames the installed one, and restores on uninstall).

New features:
    Double click an error from Unity jumps to the line in UnityScript Editor
    New preferences window
    Fixed font not setting correctly
    Fixed variable list still showing after script has closed

NOTE: UnityScript Editor MUST be installed in the UniSciTE folder for the error double click feature to work. Also, if you have previously changed the preferences in Unity to something other than the BuiltIn option you will need to reselect built-in. UnityScript Editor will become the builtIn.

Enjoy ;)

15. Ramen Sama

Ramen Sama

oh spiffy. I'll get the new version and find more issues for you. :p

I have an idea.. might not be a good one, but here goes.

i've seen some visual tools let you define variables automatically. such as

Code (csharp):
    2. function Update(){
    4. thisVar = 14;
    6. }
    As you are writing code you need to make a a new var thisVar, that hasn't been defined anywhere. I think it'd be nice while youre typing it, you could right click it and define it locally or globally and it'd add the needed code at the top of the file, or at the start of the current function.

Code (csharp):
    2. //added public var automatically
    3. var thisVar;
    5. function Update(){
    7. thisVar = 14;
    9. }
    or

Code (csharp):
    3. function Update(){
    4. //added local var automatically
    5. var thisVar;
    7. thisVar = 14;
    9. }

If that's not an option, maybe you could add an "add" button or a right click other option to the Variables window so you can add them without loosing your place in code.

16. Guru

Guru

Not sure why but installing the Editor seems to have broke code that was working just before. For instance I am getting these errors:

Code (csharp):
    1. Assets/MyScripts/HealthControl.js(9,36): BCE0020: An instance of type 'UnityEngine.GUITexture' is required to access non static member 'texture'.
    2. (Filename: Assets/MyScripts/HealthControl.js Line: 9)
    I am getting one for each line of my Switch statement below. Previously it worked just fine.

Code (csharp):
    1. switch(LIVES) {
    2.         case 3: GUITexture.texture = health3; break;
    3.         case 2: GUITexture.texture = health2; break;
    4.         case 1: GUITexture.texture = health1; break;
    5.         case 0: //game over
    6.             break;
    7.     }
    Running the game works (after I close out the error console that pops up) and the lives change and such when I die but for some reason it is dead set on their being a problem there that doesn't exist.

Then again maybe that is a problem though I don't know why as it worked before. It won't go away no matter what editor I use. All I did was delete a colon to see if the error would pop up and that going to the line in code worked by clicking on the error console and when I fixed it those errors have just stayed.

17. Guru

Guru

Also as a side note, I uninstalled the editor and now I am unable to use the internal editor at all and imagine I will need to do a reinstall to get it to work but I typically use Notepad++ anyway.

I tried installing and then uninstalling but getting the same results....I get the "Unity has stopped working" dialog then it closes though Unity itself doesn't, just the editor.

I looked at the folder the default is installed into but I am not sure what is default other then the timestamps being different from renaming it back. I dont really want to installed Unity over again, which files are overwritten by your editor? Just the default exe?

18. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Guru:
    The installer for the editor doesn't replace any Unity files. It will rename the existing UniSciTE.exe to UniSciTE.ex_, other than that providing the editor was installed into the correct folder there are no files overwritten. To revert back to the original editor you simply need to uninstall. If that doesn't work for some strange reason you can simply rename the UniSciTE.ex_ back. The Unity Editor itself shouldn't be affected because I'm only installing files to the UniSciTe folder. I've tried the installer on a few computers I use with Unity and none of those have been affected by the editor replacement.

I'm not sure why you're getting a script editor. I haven't done much with GUITextures yet. Could be a capitalisation issue? Take a look and see if you can work out if that is the case. I can then correct the language definition file for the editor. As a workaround you can disable autocorrection in the preferences of the editor.

- -

I like the idea about quickly creating variables, I'll look in to that. Also, you may or may not be aware that you can view two parts of a script at the same time. At the top of the vertical scrollbar there's a small button, if you drag this down with your mouse you can split the code view in two :)

19. Guru

Guru

Yeah last night before I hit the sack I decided to see if that file you mentioned was the renamed back up and manually changing it worked. Must have just been one of those things ;-)

20. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Ramen Sama:

I've been working on your idea regarding the quick creation of variables and it's pretty much ready to go. However, I wanted to run it past you first to get some additional input.

What I've done is allow you to right-click in a variable name, when this occurs two new items appear in the context menu; Create Global Variable with 3 additional options for Public, Private and Static; Create local Variable.

If the Create Global option is selected the variable declaration is created automatically at the top of the script.

If the Create Local option is selected the variable declaration is created at the top of the current function.

The declaration is always created like this:

var myVariable = 0.0;

Obviously with Private/Static preceding the var when needed.

This is clearly a variant variable set with a default of 0.0. Unity seems throws a wobbly if you just declare without setting a value (var test;) so I thought this was the best workaround.

What do you think? Any suggestions? I did consider have a little pop-up display where you can select the variable type.

21. Ramen Sama

Ramen Sama

That sounds pretty good, but if there were a way to set the variable value at the same time that'd be good. I like the idea of an extra pop-up that shows up when you highlight the creation of a global var.
    Perhaps there could be a way to analyze what is typed to determine the variable type. such as, if i type
    thisvar =1.0 it creates the variable as a float.
    thisvar = false / bool

Maybe, when you tell it to create a varaible a small window pops up with the text it's going to place into the scene, which of course is editable.

This sounds good since it can be quickly edited to reflect exactly what the user wants, istead of wading thru menus.

On to other things. i like how when you save the file, the log at the bottom will give you an error message. however, clicking on the error message doesn't do anything. It'd be nice if it could go to the error line.

Which brings me to another issue, when doubleclicking error in unity, it brings up the script in question, but it does NOT go to the line that has the error. I thought you added that feature in, perhaps it's just a localized issue?

Oh, yeah one more thing. The function list... doesn't list any of the functions in the script. Maybe this is some design? I really like the idea of the menu, having all the functions you can add, but i'd also like a seperate drop down list for my written functions.

22. Ramen Sama

Ramen Sama

More fun. i have confirmed that some scripts no longer work after being saved by the program.

What seems to be happening is some "autocorrection" messing things up.

Code (csharp):
    1.     Renderer.material.color = Color.Lerp(colorStart, colorEnd, Lerp);
    here's a line of code that was working before. But your program capitalized Renderer, which makes unity throw an error. changing it back to renderer does nothing, it goes back.

There's bound to be more issues of the sort. I suspect this is the cause of the issue in the post above.

::edit::
    I found the option in the prefrences to disable that behavor. After restarting, it stopped "fixing" it.

23. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

I thought that may be the case. What I will do is default the autocorrect option off for the time being. Looking at the scripting reference from the unity site I can see what happened.

The guide entry for 'renderer' is written as 'Renderer' but then referred to in there code snippet as 'renderer'. So when I compiled the language reference I made the assumption that the correct case was what the heading of the page was Renderer.

Obviously needs improving.

The error log in the editor was designed just so you can look through it without going back to Unity. I'll see what extra functionality I can add.

I did indeed include double click jumping to an error. Does it jump to any line when you try it or does it just not work? When you installed the new version did you make sure that it was installed over the default UniSciTE and that you changed the Unity preferences back to Built-In?

My plan with functions is to add them to the side list like the variables are added. So as new functions are defined they are listed on the right.

The function list drop down is purely to accelerate the creation of new event handlers and functions.

I'll release my work in progress this evening (GMT+1) to prevent the case issue.

24. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

Thank you so much for this great editor. I'll donate later. But can you add auto-indent, so when I write:

function(), if(), while(), ... {

it adds a } and a tab/space after pressing return. And also that it detects some spaces/tabs in functions automatically, so when I write a function and add a new line, then it should auto-indent this new line correct with tabs like UnityDevelop does.

25. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Auto-indent is on my list of things to add ;)

26. mikesgames

mikesgames

i really like it!

thanks!

27. Guru

Guru

Another option that would be good is a way to clear the error console as well as clicking on the error in the console to jump to the line of code and to be able to close the tabs from the tab itself...either a close button or a right-click close if neither of those have been implemented.

28. Guru

Guru

AH! That is the problem I was having but wasn't sure what was causing it. Thanks! I guess if I was more familiar with Unity I would have noticed that ;-)

29. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Version 1.3.0 is now available for download.

Changes:
    Changed the auto-correct in the language files to only correct non-essential keywords such as if, else, True, False, etc

Added ability to right-click a variable and create a local or global variable without having to locate the correct place and type it in.

Added Function list to the right side panel. On updating you will probably need to resize the variable panel to see both at the same time.

Added auto indenting and outdenting this works for both:

function Update() {
    }

function update()
    {

}

depending on your coding style.

http://www.arsoftware.co.uk/products_unityscripteditor_features.php

Enjoy.

Guru > You can close each tab with the red cross button on the right of the document. But I will add a right click to the tab as well. With the error console, sadly Unity seems to lock the file open whilst it's open so I can only read the log file, I can't write back to it :(

30. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

I am really liking it so far, and when it is fully done, I would recommend selling it for a little bit of money. Worth a try!

31. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

Wow that was fast, thank you! Think it's time for donation...

Works great so far but it would be great if it does add a closing } automatically after pressing return. And it seems that var-declarations with public/static in it are not supported. I prefer to use var-declaration with public but that doesn't work right now. Only private does work. Maybe it's not an issue but... yeah.. would be great to have it in :).

Oh and one last thing. It would be great if there was a list of available types if I write:

myvar : <-- and then there pop ups a list with available types like GameObject and so on like there was with intellisense.

32. Ramen Sama

Ramen Sama

Ok, more feedback. When i open up a script now, it doesn't list the variables or functions on the right side till i create a new line or open another script file. kinda weird. And sometimes just the variables show up, and not the functions. Oh, more on that. if you delete a variable from your script it still remains on the panel.

Also if you create a variable such as...

var timeleft : float; //Test

in the variable window, the commented part shows up.
    Might just be floats.

As far as error line jumping... i've installed it correctly. currently 1.30. It still doesn't go to the line after double clicking in unity. it does bring up the editor and the file in question, but stays on either the last line i left it, or the first line if it opened up the file.

I do like the variable declaration. so far it works rather nicely.

One more thing i think this needs is the ability to right click on the file name tab and do stuff like close the file. Or perhaps add in a little x on the active tab to close it, like firefox. I know that big red X isn't too far away, but when you're switch around in the tabs it's not in a convenient place for some.

For the record, i'm on Windows 7 64-bit.

33. Guru

Guru

Looking good!

That's odd you aren't getting the jump to the line the error is located, it works on my end on both Win7 64 and Vista 64

34. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

I'm working through the latest batch. I wanted to release a quick update yesterday to fix the auto-correct function. So, please bear with me on the other bits and pieces.

SirLancelot -> when you say that var declarations don't work/aren't supported only private - what do you mean? I've checked Public, private and static globals, and local and they all seem to work for me.

35. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

I mean this var-declarations:

var go : GameObject;
    private var go1 : GameObject;
    public var go2 : GameObject;
    public static var go3 : GameObject;
    static var go4 : GameObject;

one and two works great, three, four and five doesn't seem to work. go2, go3. go4 doesn't have auto-complete / intellisense and they are also not shown in variables-list and highlighted in blue.

Another thing which would be great to have it in... If I write something like:

go.transform.* there's a list with available commands, but when I choose something like position from this list they disappear. In UnityDevelop there is a list with magnitude, Normalize, normalized, Scale, sqrMagnitude, ToString, x, y, z then. Same with other commands like localEulerAngles.

36. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

SirLancelot
    I'm prepping up an update that sorts out the variables that weren't previously listing.

With the .position.* you mentioned, can you give me an url in the scripting reference guide where this is, I can't seem to find it. Then I can add it in.

When I built the editors reference library I went through and entered everything in the online guide but it is possible I missed a few things.

Also, is there a definitive listing of all the available object types (integer, string, gameObject, etc)

37. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

38. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Update 1.3.5 is now available for testing:

Fixed: Variables and functions list not displaying on initial loading of a document
    Fixed: Variable and function list update process
    Fixed: Variables and functions with a comment on the same line
    Added: Intelliprompt for variable types, triggered with the colon. The member list is a work in progress for this.
    Added: position intelliprompt information based on Vector3

The right-click context menu to close a tab is not going to happen, the component I'm using doesn't inform me of which tab has been right clicked so I can only close the currently displayed one via a right-click which is obviously not useful.

http://www.arsoftware.co.uk/products_unityscripteditor_download.php

39. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

Sorry I've forget... For available types try this:

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/20_class_hierarchy.html

It's still V 1.3.0 on your site?

40. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

I haven't updated the site yet, the download is v1.3.5 though

41. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

Okay, it works but available types are incomplete, there's no "GameObject" for example. Try URL above for complete classes. Public does work now but it is not highlighted in blue. But thank you for this great work :).

42. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Yeah, the type listing was a work in progress, I'll complete it for the next update.

I've also fixed the public highlighting issue as well, so that will also be sorted in the next release.

I have a few other bits and pieces to do so the next update will be tomorrow, unless something huge comes up.

43. Ramen Sama

Ramen Sama

Quick update. The error line jumping appears to be working now. The document has scrolled down to line in question. a step in the right direction. However i've got more to add.

The cursor needs to be placed on that active line i feel, as of now, the cursor is not active when you do this. Also, i think it might be better if the line in question is brought to the middle of the window instead of at the top. For example, i have an error on line 31. when it opens up, line 31 is on the 2nd row, and not highlighted yet. Would be nice to see a big red arrow or something like other programs do to show the error line.

If you can't do right clicking on the file name tabs, can you add the ability to close them the way tabbed browsing works on firefox? you know. a little x on the right on the tab?

44. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Version 1.4.0 now available for download

• Full memberlist for variable declarations has been added (var myVar : <list>)
    • Error lines are now highlighted with a red line indicator in the editor, this is processed automatically and should work for multiple errors in the same document if Unity can handle them.
    • When jumping to an error it will no longer place the line at the very top of the view.
    • Double clicking an error in the USE log will now open and jump to the error in question.
    • The working project directory path is now shown in the title bar, this is important for handling the error log jumps without Unity.

http://www.arsoftware.co.uk/products_unityscripteditor_download.php
    Ramen Sama : Sadly the component doesn't offer any close buttons for individual tabs. If I find a more suitable component I will update it.

45. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

I have a big problem since I've updated. I can't maximize program window. I only see this little icon in taskbar but I can't open it. I've tried so many things (uninstall, reinstall, reg-cleaner) but without any success. An earlier version also doesn't work. Is there anything I can do about it? Like some setting about window size or something? I'm using Windows 7 64bit.

46. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Whoa, that's a weird one. You should probably try deleting the preferences.

For Vista + they are located:

c:\users\Your username\AppData\Local\ARSoftware

Delete the whole folder and then reload UnityScript Editor, it will default back to the original settings.

Hope this helps.

47. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

Thanks that did help. But I had to change settings file manually and set it to write-protect first. I've changed some "0" to higher value and now it works. Really weird.

48. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

New version looks good. It would be great if editor auto-complete also works with vars in script, so when I declare a variable in header this should be automatically detected if I write it. I mean this:

var myGameObject : GameObject;

and I write myGameO[...] it should show me a list with my vars for faster access.

Oh and auto-closing { after pressing return. At least as setting to choose (on/off).

I think that's all. :D Maybe you can add this in new version. Thanks again!

49. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

If you right click a keyword and select look up definition or press F1 it will already open a web browser to the Unity online script reference and perform the search.

I'll take a look at the other recommendations.

50. SirLancelot

SirLancelot

Ups, I didn't know that - sorry :).

Edit: But it does not work. If I highlight a word it goes through this:

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/30_search.html?q=.

Edit 2: Okay it does work but not with highlighted words.

Edit 3: "Other Functions" in Function List does not work. If I click on a function under "Other Functions" it does nothing.