Search Unity

UnityFS - Flight Simulation toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UnityFS, Feb 23, 2013.

1. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Do you mean an input manager?

2. ibyte

ibyte

No looking to find out if anyone has used TNet, Bolt or Forge etc with uFS

Edit: Got onto the Forge beta. Will post an update if I get things to work if anyone else is interested.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  3. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Please post your results I am very interested.

4. ibyte

ibyte

Question about input. I installed the uFS package over Terrain Composer so the default Unity inputs were overwritten. Is there anyway to get them back without manually documenting them and recreating them one by one?

Has anyone used this package with uFS - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/free-custom-input-manager.223321

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  5. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

I think you are stuck to manual methods to get that inputs back.

I have noticed some asset store packages (e.g. uFS and UFPS) have custom input managers included these days. Never even heard of that input manager you mentioned since I have only checked the asset store for improved input managers.

I use Rewired (from the asset store) for my input manager since it supports my CH products flight simulation controllers (including all buttons). At my current stage of development I have not integrated Rewired with UFS yet.

6. Archania

Archania

You can always create a empty project and copy the stuff over to project you need.
    or create a new project with the other asset and copy it over that way too.

7. ibyte

ibyte

Archania, How do you copy input settings?

8. Archania

Archania

Under ProjectSettings you have the InputManager.asset copy that to the other project and you'll have the same input settings as the project.

9. ibyte

ibyte

Too bad there is no way to merge input settings between projects since the file is in binary format.

10. allpay

allpay

Hi, I am working on wwii planes and I have no data about force at max PRM. I only have basic wiki parametres.
    What settings should I use for the engine? (any calculating way or something else?) any idea?

11. Karearea

Karearea

Anyone had any success with UnityFS in the Unity 5 Beta?

I think the rigidbody is affected by the engines ok, although it looks sort of 'on rails'. However none of the control surfaces work- the gizmos shows the blade elements responding to input, and the lift increasing with speed, but no lift is manifested in the rigidbody itself so the aircraft stays moving straight.

I've checked constraints etc.

I realise UnityFS will need adjustment for the PhysX update, wondered if there was any news to that end?

12. Karearea

Karearea

I've narrowed the above down to an issue with freezing and unfreezing constraints on the rigidbody. All is fine otherwise.

Also have some odd behaviour on wheel colliders which I'm confident tweaking will fix.

To allay fears earlier in the thread, I've been in contact with Chris and he's intending to have a Unity 5 compatible update after release.

blueivy likes this.
  13. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Thanks for the update. Are you using Unity 5 RC2 beta release?

14. Karearea

Karearea

RC2. By the way, I simply copied/pasted the component values for the wheels on the aircraft prefab in the Unity 5 Standard Assets, and the settings work nicely with UnityFS

15. ibyte

ibyte

I cannot seem to get the plane to move forward even though I increase the throttle. Also testign with with U5RC2.

16. ibyte

ibyte

Does anyone have project input settings file they would care to share that has default Unity input settings in addition to uFS input settings. Why would Chris have removed all the default stuff before adding his own?

17. Karearea

Karearea

I did months ago- but it's not too difficult to add the axis' you need manually (yeah, I know that's a frustrating answer). Frankly i wish Unity just allowed merging input lists. What I really want to work out is modifying UnityFS to receive Rewired input.

I had same problem in RC2 until I copied those wheel collider settings from the standard asset aircraft prefab

18. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Glad you are already talking to Chri. Please ask Chris to look at Rewired 1.0.0.32+ integration so we can take advantage of all the flight sim controllers included in the most recent Rewired update.

19. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

You are not the only one wishing for Rewired input support with UnityFS.

20. Xtense

Xtense

Hello,

I'm currently experimenting with UnityFS on Unity 5 RC2, didn't really do anything yet - just imported the asset and playing around with the example scene.

I can't for the life of me get the plane rolling from a standing position (all defaults from the example scene). When I overdrive the engines to over 12000rpm, I can... sort of... force the plane to tumble a bit unrealistically, after which the wheels start turning normally, but it, obviously, should not handle like this. At first I thought maybe the brakes were on, but no dice.

I re-added the wheels from the prefab into the demo plane, but this didn't help either. The plane is just stuck on the ground with the engines spinning helplessly, changing throttle just does nothing.

Is there something I may be missing here?

Best regards,
    Xtense

21. Karearea

Karearea

Try lifting the aircraft a metre or so above the ground, so it drops onto the wheels at the start?

All my problems were to do with the changed behaviour of the new wheel colliders, they seem more sensitive to start location, for instance if they are slightly under the ground.

22. Xtense

Xtense

I tried that, it seems i have to literally make the plane smack into the ground for the wheels to work, which is just silly. I measured the distance and they don't seem to work if the plane is anywhere below 7,2 Unities above the ground. I really hope the update will fix this.

23. Karearea

Karearea

I'm about ready to give up on the wheel colliders, surely their behaviour isn't correct yet. The Unity5 forum suggests there's a sensitivity to hierarchy but I haven't yet found a solution.

I can't get brakes to work, and even turning the front wheel has no effect. Hoping this is fixed in a forthcoming release candidate.

24. ibyte

ibyte

@ddnharris, I also spent a bit of time comparing the wheel colliders under the Example asset loaded in Unity 4.6 and comparing that to loaded U5. I tried to adjust for the differences but was unable to get anything working. In fact the only way to get the plane to fly was to turn off gravity :eek:

25. UnityFS

UnityFS

Hi all,
    As has been discussed there does seem to be a bit of a showstopping issue with Unity 5 and the wheel colliders. This seems to be a known U5 issue and is still apparent in the release build. I am currently working to find a solution. An update will be released as soon as a fix is available.
    Apologies for the inconvenience.
    Along with the fix the updated version of UFS will include Flaps and Airbrakes. More exciting UFS news to come soon!

macdeng, ibyte and John-G like this.
  26. John-G

John-G

That's great Chris, good news on the flaps and airbreaks. Updated to Unity 5 so look forward to wheel collider solution.

27. Karearea

Karearea

Great news! Can you tell us if the air brakes modify the rigidbody drag directly, or are part of the blade element calculations?

28. Elecman

Elecman

Does the upcoming update support airliner features like complex flaps and ground/air spoilers?

Also, will it support the wheel colliders of the upcoming Unity Advanced Vehicle Physics package?

29. Elecman

Elecman

Also, is the geometry of the fuselage taken into account for aerodynamics simulation?

30. Naranek

Naranek

I'm making a hang gliding simulator for instructional purposes and I'd really like to get some thermal / wind simulation in there. The top priority are thermals, and they should at minimum interact with each wing separately so that when the thermal is on the left side, it will lift the left wing more than the right. I'm thinking that it would be supercool if I could use the particle system to do this, because I might be able to generate them based on the terrain, but all other options are welcome as well.

31. John-G

John-G

@Naranek have you checked out the asset Megaflow, may be what you need for thermal uplift etc

32. Karearea

Karearea

Yes, you can use Megaflow to sample a point in a vector field, and feed that into your hang glider sim as a vector3 force. There isn't deep integration with UnityFS for this so you'll need to work with the sampled vector3 as a second system.

Edit: And of course you can sample for two points and feed both vector3s into your system too.

33. Naranek

Naranek

Nope. Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately it's a bit too expensive as I'm doing this as a hobby and releasing it for free.

I looked a bit further into the particle systems, and they seem like really promising. I that with them I could model a thermal so that it starts from ground and finally forms a cloud overhead. I just can't seem to get the particles to push the glider one way or the other :/

34. Karearea

Karearea

Before I moved to a Megaflow solution, I had a bunch of simple capsule colliders aligned upwards defining the thermal areas. I got horizontal distance away from the centre on entry, and then applied more force as it approached 0. You can sample a graph with that distance and then work with a custom falloff. This worked pretty well for me, you can then have a particle that simply represents the location of the thermal object. Unfortunately I don't think you can have particles actually applying force themselves.

35. Xtense

Xtense

Hello again,

I've been wondering a little about external controller support and decided to ask here - is there maybe a Unity asset/plugin that would work in UFS with gamepads and flightsim controllers? Since I can't really afford to test out all of the different gear available, I was hoping for a solution that would require minimum tweaking to get going. Anyone tried this before?

36. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Yes. Rewired - Advanced Input For Unity (in the asset store) supports a great selection of flight simulation controllers (yokes, pedals, Flight sticks, HOTAS, throttle quadrants, TPM) and of course gamepads. @ddnharris has done an integration between Rewired and UnityFS and it was not too hard. Also Rewired does not have the limit of 20 button limit of Unity either and handles both Raw Input and Direct Input (on Windows) so it should handle just about everything. You can get an evaluation version to see if it works for you.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/21676

@ddnharris can provide some good feedback also on his integration experience with UnityFS.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  37. ATomic92

ATomic92

ControlSurfaceEditor was doing weird stuff, so I tried to debug it.. only to notice it wasn't using UnityEngine, which seems to have been the cause of the problem... Axis setup, with the rudder, was bound to my throttle axis on Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, which I suspect is the most common joystick currently..

38. ibyte

ibyte

39. ibyte

ibyte

Chris, any light at the end of the tunnel?

40. zero3growlithe

zero3growlithe

Might help that the wheel colliders appear to have a bug that makes them unable to move if their torque is equal 0, to fix that u can place a "hack" script that sets the torque force of 0.000001f on Awake to wheels that only depend on friction in order to move. It fixed the issue with planes not willing to take off.

Xtense likes this.
  41. Xtense

Xtense

zero3growlithe likes this.
  42. allpay

allpay

When using huge terrains there is serious camera jitter problem. Is that a common Unity issue? I cant fix it, any suggestions?

43. Elecman

Elecman

44. ibyte

ibyte

it's been a 6 weeks - is a uFS update getting any closer?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    zero3growlithe and VIC20 like this.
  45. VIC20

VIC20

Just a little reminder. Another month has passed. (of almost 15 months since last update)

derkoi likes this.
  46. sonicviz

sonicviz

Here lies the biggest problem of the Unity Asset Store. Unity is more than willing to put anything up there for sale, but less than willing to curate and enforce updates and compatibility requirements.

Caveat emptor.

47. Karearea

Karearea

Sadly, I agree with above.

In the author's defence, the core product still works well, assuming you don't need to land on wheels.

The behaviour of U5 wheel colliders is now far more reliant on keeping the weight and balance of the rigidbody within quite a narrow range, they don't work well with heavier vehicles, and don't work well with vehicles that have the CofG of a typical aircraft. Short of consultation with @Edy I can't quite see what the way forward is, unfortunately.

48. VIC20

VIC20

Most assets are so cheap that seriously no one can expect frequent updates and lifetime support. (I personally would sell such a core asset for several $100 and not below $100). But in this case it is advertised, and no one forces him to write that, so a little more effort in updates could be expected. Beside that it is a good product.

49. Edy

Edy

The suspension of WheelColliders can work correctly with additional scripting. Otherwise the behavior is mostly unpredictable. As you point out, it depends on other factors external to the WheelCollider itself.

In my tests I've successfully configured vehicles from 10 Kg to 600 Tons (600.000 Kg) using WheelColliders. If fact, simulating aircrafts is in my long-term roadmap.

50. Elecman

Elecman

So Edy's Vehicle Physics for Unity 5 doesn't work with aircraft?