Search Unity

UnityEngine.UI.dll is in timestamps but is not known in assetdatabase

Discussion in 'Asset Database' started by iivo_k, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Mishaps

Mishaps

This is happening for me in unity 5.0.1. It can by fixed the library folder and re-importing (takes about 3 hours for me). However it seems to re-occur every time I re-name a folder from inside the editor.

Timestamps (3891) and assets (3889) maps out of sync.
    Asset '/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/UnityExtensions/Unity/GUISystem/Editor/UnityEditor.UI.dll' is in timestamps but is not known in guidmapper...
    Asset '/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/UnityExtensions/Unity/GUISystem/UnityEngine.UI.dll' is in timestamps but is not known in guidmapper...

EDIT: bug report case 686996

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  2. Nissim1892

Nissim1892

Worked like a charm. Thank you so much :) @j.robichaud

3. Mishaps

Mishaps

@j.robichaud solution worked for me too. Cheers.

(On mac to move the "GUISystem" folder hold down CMD key while dragging it so it won't make an alias)

4. Mishaps

Mishaps

This issue re-occurs for me every time I rename a file or folder from the Project panel. The file I tried to re-name disappeared from the project and causes all sorts of mayhem when I was doing some refactoring re-name a script. Scary bug.

5. LightDisciple

LightDisciple

Thanks,
    After switching from MonoDevelop to VSStudio many assets where "lost" and this solution fixed it well

6. iivo_k

iivo_k

Still get this occasionally after switching back and forth between projects. We use symlinks to share code between projects, don't know if that has anything to do with anything.

Anyway, since @j.robichaud fixed it with a script already, couldn't the Unity guys just do that automatically when it happens? Of course it'd be preferred to find and fix the root cause, but it's been the better part of a year already since this was reported.

7. Negatron

Negatron

Just reporting the same issue here. Happened after adding a Canvas and then renaming a script. Nasty thing to come across for a new user.

8. pahe

pahe

9. Alec-Slayden

Alec-Slayden

Happened to me, script not working in U5 yet.
    It went away after a reimport but keeps popping up now and then.
    In case anyone wanted to cross reference potential plugins as culprits I'm using FullInspector2, A* Pathfinding project pro, and NodeCanvas2. I was using InspectorNavigator before, which I thought was causing the issue (since I never had it before getting the plugin). However the issue persists long after removing it.

Happened to me after renaming a script. I believe the same happened every other time too, slight hanging while renaming an item, then it vanishes and I get the warnings and errors about time stamps and my GUI breaks.

10. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

This just happened to me recently after having to change the files around to an older version. I did the replacement externally and have done this many times before without issue.

I tried using @j.robichaud 's solution, however it did not work for me. The error always appears on loading the project but after clearing it, it does not appear anymore until I restart unity and open the project again. Using Unity 5.0.1.f1 on Windows 8.1

11. Mishaps

Mishaps

Happened to me in 5.0.1. I renamed a folder then when I closed and re-opened the folder was missing! That's a pretty critical bug yo.

Anyone using 5.0.1p1, does that fix it?

12. iivo_k

iivo_k

The bug's been there over half a year and it's been 4 months since a dev commented in this thread, I promise you they haven't fixed it in 5.0.1p1. :p

13. Mishaps

Mishaps

For me this problem has only been present since upgrading to unity 5.

14. Desktopdaydreams

Desktopdaydreams

Hey Folks,

Just though I'd chime in here.

We're suffering the same problem, while @j.robichaud solution's works for a time, the error eventually comes back.

It looks to be a local cache issues. It would be great if a Unity dev would give us some advice/feedback/acknowledgment.

Any one have any further updates?

15. pcorazao

pcorazao

This worked for me.

16. Mishaps

Mishaps

Does the bug re-occur for you after deleting the library folder?

For me this fix is impractical because it takes about 3 hours to re-import everything each time I do it.

17. codestage

codestage

2 my co-workers faced with this bug too using Unity 5.0.1f1, looks like it's not too rare and pretty annoying.
    Anyone filled bugreport already?

18. Mishaps

Mishaps

I filed bug report case 686996 earlier this month

19. Desktopdaydreams

Desktopdaydreams

20. Mishaps

Mishaps

thanks, yea this one is still there and breaks my entire project everytime I simply re-name a script!

21. artistshc

artistshc

Thank you so much Tiger! I was going insane thinking I lost everything! :)

22. Mishaps

Mishaps

The bug is still present in 5.0.1p2

23. Mishaps

Mishaps

Anyone else noticed this bug occurs when you change the first character in an asset's name from lowercase to uppercase?

24. Samsson

Samsson

Bug still present in Unity 5.0.1 f 1, extremely annoying !!!!!!!!!

25. horsman

horsman

The above solution no longer works; Unity reports:
    Invalid AssetDatabase path path. Use path relative to the project folder.​

26. Desktopdaydreams

Desktopdaydreams

27. Mishaps

Mishaps

Just re-name assets outside of unity until they fix it. It still makes a red error but doesn't seem to break your project like re-naming inside the editor does...

28. solidcore

solidcore

Had this problem today, It happened on Unity 5.0.1f1

Occurred after I did the following:
    - Renamed mp3 asset folder from 'Sound' to 'Audio'
    - Added a PNG Image from blender render, 64x64 and set to a single sprite, mipmapping, transparent etc.
    - Added a reference to the sprite.

Then after I realized the Audio was missing, so i decided to save and close and rename the Audio folder back to Sound, got back in and all the GUI scripts were undefined and stated missing.

Edit: trying reimport all.

Edit: Fixed after reimport all, don't do anything drastic until you tried this fix.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  29. iivo_k

iivo_k

Reimport all is basically the same as deleting the library folder, the problem is it takes ages with large projects and is thus a very impractical solution to many.

MrEsquire likes this.
  30. dettmar

dettmar

This worked great for me! I run Unity 5.0.1 and the Application hang, after the restart I had this message showing up
    Asset '/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/UnityExtensions/Unity/GUISystem/UnityEngine.UI.dll' is in timestamps but is not known in guidmapper...
    Now all seems to work again!

31. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

DUDE, YOU DESERVE A MEDAL!!!

I had the issue after I moved a script and the editor glitched... I ignored it initially, but then got the timestamp error later. The script I moved had also mysteriously vanished from the project for no reason... :D

...And likewise, my android build had no menu tonight! And doing the above fixed it!!! :D :) ;) :p

Again, thank you for this FLAWLESS solution! :)

32. AJPVK

AJPVK

God Bless You Brother
    Thank U so much :)

33. Sycobob

Sycobob

Had this happen twice now on a project where reimporting is an hours long ordeal. It seems renaming/moving assets (scenes in particular?) has a higher chance of causing the problem. Luckily I realized the same thing as some of the others here: forcing a reimport of the UI assemblies fixes it. But not before having several teammates waste hours doing full reimports. This is a pretty serious flaw considering one of Unity's 'features' is supposed to be it's ability to handle live asset changes. Something we've gotten used to taking advantage of now all of a sudden has a risk of just obliterating our libraries and it's been known for at least 7 months.

34. Mishaps

Mishaps

Have you experienced this bug in Unity 5.0.2?

35. Sycobob

Sycobob

Oops,. forgot to mention version numbers. Seen this on 5.0.1f1, 5.0.1p1, 5.0.1p3, and 5.0.1p4

36. Bishop-Games

Bishop-Games

So I had the same issue and j.robichaud's script wasn't working for me either. We're using Unity 5.0.0f4. To "fix" it, here's what I did. I have no idea why it works or if every step are necessary. Heck, half of the steps don't even make sense. But it worked.

0. Unity was open for me.
    1. Go to the dll's location - "C:\Program Files\Unity5\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\GUISystem" in my case, but likely to be different on your system
    2. Copy both the UnityEngine.UI.dll and the UnityEngine.UI.dll.mdb files to your desktop
    3. Delete both files from Unity's installation
    4. Close Unity.
    5. Open Unity. The files are missing so Unity won't like it. Errors will flow in the console and some panels might not render properly.
    6. Close Unity
    7. Put the files back in place (copy them from your desktop to their original folder).
    8. Open Unity
    9. Notice it's fixed.
    ---- Optional ----
    10. Close your eyes.
    11. Get in fetal position.
    12. Cry a bit.
    13. Remember that triple rainbows exist.
    14. Get back to work.

milox777 and Defcon44 like this.
  37. Mishaps

Mishaps

try upgrading to 5.0.2p1? surely they've fixed this bug by now...

38. ChiuanWei

ChiuanWei

:(:(:(:(Bug present in Unity 5.0.1 f 1, extremely annoying !!!!!!!!!
    all my ui assetbundle is missing component....

39. Mishaps

Mishaps

Download the latest patch release (5.0.2p2) and check if it's still present in that version. If it is then file a bug report with unity (from the help menu). This is the most effective way to speed up getting it fixed :)

40. Garrettec

Garrettec

There are no such fixes in this patch notes and it is very inconvenient to send bug report with this issue, because it happens on big projects, which are under version control. So, what use of sending 10+ GB project with "dead" UI.dll and your source code?

41. Mishaps

Mishaps

I agree and don't have time to do it myself either. A bug report with example project is the most effective way to bump an issue up the unity team's priority list. I'd suggest attaching a tiny example project (with clear repro instructions) is better than sending a large production project. Easiest repro of the issue I found was changing the first letter in the name of an asset from lowercase to uppercase and then restarting unity.

42. EAST-DATA

EAST-DATA

YOU SAVE MY AS*, dlls in both "UnityExtensions\Unity\GUISystem" , "UnityExtensions\Unity\GUISystem\Editor" for me.

43. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Issue is still present on Unity 4.6.x builds and causes much wasted time - working on big projects.
    Unity team please fix asap, this is another annoying UI glitch that lot of people are facing so why not boost it high on the 2 fix table (oh I forgot UI team not been responding in forums for some time now)

44. TonyLi

TonyLi

Have you voted yet?

http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/iss...-but-is-not-known-in-guidmapper-dot-dot-dot-1

Voting helps Unity prioritize bug fixes. This issue currently only has 81 votes, so according to user feedback it's relatively low priority. If we can all vote, it will get Unity's attention.

45. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Just voted now, I would say 82 is high and only 3 other issues higher priority in active.
    This should technically be top priority, links in with my other thread with GUI issues.

- http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-4-6-4x-to-4-6-5p2-mass-ui-issues.318915/

In Unity 5.1 seems also no improvements, this is last official comment I got from Alex(Unity employee) on UI team activity

"They're still hard at work addressing bugs and improving things. They're trying to get some particular perf improvements in for the 5.2 window, since 5.1 is already wrapping up. Also, life is happening, as there's at least one new baby specifically in the UI team family..."

So lets hope its fixed in 5.2?

TonyLi likes this.
  46. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

So have I! :) I had this issue once, and was able to fix it, so I have simply voted for the sake of evryone else unable to fix it. ;)

Garrettec likes this.
  47. Garrettec

Garrettec

You were able to fix result of the problem, but the problem have left. Unity continue loosing this dlls again and again.

48. vintar

vintar

This.
    I tried to follow someones advice of moving the GUISystem folder, but forgot that I had Unity open... Anyway it still worked as stated above.

Almakos and Garrettec like this.
  49. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

:D

50. kakaofull

kakaofull

@j.robichaud man just came here to say, thank you!
    Moving GUISystem folder worked for me, using Unity 5.0.1f1 Personal