Search Unity

Unity3D Zero to Hero Tutorials *NEW Pathfinding Text Tuts*

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by renaissanceCoder1, Jun 26, 2015.

1. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

Hey everyone! The guys at Renaissance Coders have been working hard this summer to help both those just starting out in Unity and those who are ready to take their skills to the next level with Unity.

Our Unity3D beginner tutorials are designed to help you understand basic tools in Unity - stuff you MUST understand before you can call yourself a Unity3D developer. And we make it EASY! We have broken our beginner tutorials down into three categories that will bring you to be a successful Unity user.

Programming for Beginners - C# (14 tutorials)
    Programming for Beginners - JS (11 tutorials)
    -Here we teach the fundamentals of the C# and JS programming languages. Everything you would learn in an into-programming college course will be taught here.
    -In order to be an efficient programmer/scripter in Unity, you MUST understand programming concepts outside of Unity. It is a very different environment. DON'T be the person who gets lost in advanced scripting tutorials because you do not understand fundamental programming concepts!

Unity-Specific Scripting (8 tutorials)
    -Here we teach Unity3D scripting. Different from our programming tutorials, you will learn and understand the most common scripting tools you will be using from Unity's API.
    -We are adding to this playlist every week.

Unity Interface and Tool Comprehension (8 tutorials)
    -Unity provides us with so many tools it is easy to get lost and overwhelmed. We help you understand what each tool can do for you and how you can use it. Things like Materials, Prefabs, Layers, Components, Colliders, Unity's vast list of interface tools, and more will no longer confuse or limit you - instead they will make you more efficient Unity3D developers.
    -We are adding to this playlist every week.

We also have beginner-advanced tutorial projects. These projects will not only show you how to manage, address, and complete a list of tasks - you will learn many things about Unity's API in the process - to bring you success in your own challenges and goals. Here are our projects:

A Fully Extensible and Dynamic Menu System (14 parts)
    -You will learn about images, text, anchors and more to do with Unity's 4.6 UI system
    -You will set up your own Menu Controller that manages menu pages completely with page transitions
    -You will learn how to develop two styles of button drop downs - complete with style settings.

3D RPG Character Controller (6 parts)
    -You will NOT be using Unity's character controller in this project. We create our custom Character Controller in this project - along with a Camera Controller.
    -The camera controller in this project is no trivial camera. You will learn how to use Quaternions, Raycasting, and much more. This camera is capable of orbiting and handling collisions in a 3D environment.

3D Camera Controllers (5 parts)
    -This project is meant to teach you how to develop different types of 3D camera controllers. We currently teach how to script a Top Down Camera and an RTS Camera.

Artifical Intelligence Scripting (In Progress) (6 parts)
    -This project will help you understand what it takes to bring your game characters to life.
    -You will learn how to prepare your project to handle AI.
    -You will learn patrolling algorithms.
    -You will learn enemy sight algorithms.

We have a lot of ideas for new lessons coming into July. We will likely be doing tutorials on AI Pathfinding (Comprehensive Lessons and Implementations) and Editor Scripting. We will continue adding tutorials to our Unity Scripting and Unity Basics tutorials too, though.

If there is something you would like to learn in Unity, but we have not covered it - feel free to ask. If enough people request a type of tutorial series then we will pursue that first and foremost.

Thanks for your continued support and we hope you'll visit our channel and learn with us!

2. jhocking

jhocking

I'll checkout the beginner programming tutorial, I'm always looking for good resources to point people to.

3. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

We have a new series coming out I think this community will enjoy. You will learn all about AI pathfinding development.

This series aims to teach you the pros and cons to the 3 major spatial representations:

Grid-Based
    Waypoint-Graph-Based
    Nav-Mesh-Based

Along with these 5 pathfinding tasks:

Memory Usage
    Localization
    Planning
    Smoothing
    Dynamic Modification

We will be teaching concepts and developing pathfinding projects together in this series.

Check out our intro video and see if this is a series you will want to follow.

4. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

Hello coders, we have a new tutorial series for the month of July!

The focus of this series to help everyone work out their brains for Unity problem solving. Yay! Brain work outs!

The goal is to help ween new developers off of forums and prevent the copy-paste trend.

We will release a new video every Thursday in support of our THINK Thursdays series. Each video shouldn't run longer than 5 minutes.

In each video here is what you can expect:
    -A new problem to solve
    -Discussion on last week's problem
    -Problem solving tip

This is a totally new idea for a series for us - so please let us know what you think of it! And if you like it, spread the word!

5. Bartas2

Bartas2

You are the best ! Thank you !

6. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

Thanks for the support!

gavinb80 likes this.
  7. JoakimCarlsson

JoakimCarlsson

This is just absolute amazing
    I my self already have some knowledge in c# but my friend who is learning will probably love this.

Great work!

I got a little tip that might make things a bit smoother for you with Visual Studio and Unity.
    Instead of opening the files like you do, I would suggest this plugin / asset
    https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/20b80b8c-659b-45ef-96c1-437828fe7cf2

And instead of having it like this:
    Code (csharp):
    2. Console.WriteLine("Your name is " + name + "your age is " + age);
    This look much cleaner:
    Code (csharp):
    2.             Console.WriteLine("Your name is {0}, and your age is {1}", name, age);
    name will replace {0}, age will replace {1}, and you can keep going with {2} {3} etc...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  8. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

Hey Carl, can I call you Carl? :) Thanks for the support and tips! As far as the WriteLine() example goes, I don't know why but I have always preferred using the concatenation operator, I can see why other methods would be preferred though.

JoakimCarlsson likes this.
  9. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

Welcome to the newly published Renaissance Coders website. All RC related content can be found here, organized by us in a way that we feel is best for our viewers.

Renaissance Coders Learning Site

10. JoakimCarlsson

JoakimCarlsson

You are taking things to the next level, you should be awarded a medal. By fast the best tutorial series out there.
    Even better than paid once.

Keep up the good work.

Regards
    Carlsson.

11. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

Thanks for the feedback!

12. renaissanceCoder1

renaissanceCoder1

Hello everyone, I would just like to share some more knowledge with the community. If you are aware of our new pathfinding series, then you may be happy to hear we have text tutorials to match our videos. Currently, only a couple tutorials are in video format, but all are in text. Check them out at our new site.

Unity3D AI Pathfinding Intro
    Unity3D AI Pathfinding Search Spaces
    Unity3D AI Pathfinding A* Overview
    Unity3D AI Pathfinding Node Class
    Unity3D AI Pathfinding Node Editor Tool
    Unity3D AI Pathfinding Agent Pathfinder Class
    Unity3D AI Pathfinding Agent Movement

If a tutorial does not currently have a video, one will be coming soon. Enjoy!

13. JoakimCarlsson

JoakimCarlsson

I just think that this thread deserves a bump.