Search Unity

Unity3D on Linux with Wine: Support thread

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by wnk, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Tomza

Tomza

2. gnumaru

gnumaru

Your problem is only the timezone. It's a weird bug, but you simple have to change your timezone to another that uses solely the GMT code instead of your location's name. Do this and the rendering problem will disapear.

In a Debian based Distro, you just need to run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata", chose "etc" from the bottom of the first list, and choose a GMT code matching your timezone, but unfortunately I do not use Fedora, which is different from Debian based distros, and the package tzdata could have a diferent name on Fedora...

3. gnumaru

gnumaru

Have you installed Unity using wine directly, or have you used PlayOnLinux to do the job?

The PlayOnLinux script written by Caue and tweaked by Damien really do a good job into making the thing work quite well. Wine is a box full of surprises and secrets, and each windows software that can be executed under wine have better or worse performance depending on various tweaks, like wine version, dll overrides, windows version being simulated, installed components like directx or microsoft's visual C++ runtime etc.

A wine installation of Unity is indeed a REAL NATIVE installation of Unity, because "Wine Is Not an Emulator", it is a free implementation of Microsoft Windows' runtimes, made using a lot of reverse engeneering, sweat and blood. Even if VMWare is working fine with you, an installation under wine would be a lot better if you manage to make it work. If you have not made it yet, try out Caue's/Damien's scripts, it's worth the try.

I have installed it under Lubuntu 13.10 X64 using PlayOnLinux and Damien's tweak of Caue's script and Unity version 4.3.2, and everything seems to be working fine, like playing and stoping the game, and even doing the builds for windows and linux. By the way, my graphics card is an integrated Intel solution, "HD Graphics 4000" from a third generation Intel Core i5-3210M CPU, on a Late 2012 mac-mini.

By the way, I had the damn timezone bug, and my Unity window was just completely greyed out until I changed my linux timezone fo a GMT code.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  4. gnumaru

gnumaru

Istead of using Unity's built-in Monodevelop, I'm using my distro's native package for monodevelop 3. You just have to open the project's solution (*.sln) file with Monodevelop and add the references for UnityEditor.dll and UnityEngine.dll in case the references appear as broken (the dlls can be found under "C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/Managed/"). After adding the references, the code completion works \o/. I have not tried to add breakpoints and debug a game, and I bet it will not work. But having a text editor with code completion is enough for me =).

5. Tomza

Tomza

Yes, Intel! I agree with you. It's true Wine isn't an emulator, but in reality we have a Windows environment inside Linux, so consequently for me it's a Windows emulation :). It's Linux, not Windows. It's important to have recent 3D drivers and libraries. Linux distros have made a big progress in 3D acceleration. Some distros can be still unready for running Unity3D well.

As to the native package for monodevelop 3, I think it can work on openSuse, too. However, setting up Notepad++ is much more quickly and it works perfectly. Yes, there's no code completion, but this feature irritates me. I like raw and simple editors for writing programs. There aren't complicated solutions for Unity3D scripting. C# files should be separated because they are separated components. So Notepad++ seems good for me.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  6. Damian-LinuxFan

Damian-LinuxFan

Hi for all, and write good news.
    I'am and my friend still writing patchs for Wine to run Unity3d, and maybe one month and pulicate stable and 99% working solution for Unity3d :).
    Unity3d Works with Windows 7 compatible mode
    Asset Store Look and Working (WebKit Patching for Wine)
    Buliding Desktop Versions of Apps for Linux Windows and MacOS X
    Building Mobile Versions of Apps for Android (With Android SDK)
    MonoDevelop Working with no errors for this moment :) (Mono Runtime Patches)
    One Trick for Using Premium features in Demo 30 days mode :)
    Working Unity3d Web Player
    Added Midori to open Websites and Unity3d Web Player
    Better support for PsyhX support (some patches)
    Open in Explorer (Works with Patches and tricks)

~~Still not Work~~
    Support for DirectX 10 and 11 (Not stable or not works)
    Apps for Windows Phone
    I Don't know but maybe works building apps for Xbox and PlayStation (maybe a find friend who share with me a Unity with this adds :)

If we finish work with problems bulids packages for:
    Ubuntu 14.04
    Fedora 20
    Open Suse 13.1
    Arch Linux

7. Damian-LinuxFan

Damian-LinuxFan

Maybe progress of works with be beter but working with this in free time.
    Computers I'am use for.

Intel I7 3.5 Ghz
    16GB DDR3
    120GB SSD+1TB Disk
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 690 2GB GDDR5

AMD X6 FX 4.2 Ghz
    8GB DDR3
    120 SSD+1TB Disk
    Radeon 7770 1GB GDDR3

AMD Athlon X2 7550 2.5Ghz
    4GB DDR2
    2x 320GB Disk
    Geforce GT 630 1GB

Notebook Acer
    Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2Ghz
    3GB DDR2
    120GB SSD
    Radeon 4500 1GB

and all configurations with Unity on Wine works same

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  8. Tomza

Tomza

9. Akira_san

Akira_san

What about building win, linux, mac, what about android build does it work?

10. Damian-LinuxFan

Damian-LinuxFan

if you use realy hard Unity3d on Wine you find bugs :)
    I find bugs and try fix this.
    I'am really testing Unity with Wine and try fixing, patch and tricks to really stable and usable state of my work.

11. Tomza

Tomza

Yes, I made some builds. But I'm still testing it. My laptop is probably too weak.

I've just updated Mesa. The version is the same, but some libraries are new. It looks really great. I'm waiting for the new version of Mesa. If I record a movie, I'll post it here to prove all people in the world that Unity3D on Linux makes sense.

12. Tomza

Tomza

For people who use Pipelight (unity3D plugin) - Unity3D Web Player is often updated, and its checksum is changed. That's why, you need to run a few commands every time. It's really irritating. So I wrote the script. Copy it and paste to a new text file. Call it Pieplight. This file should be placed in your bin directory so that it can be on PATH. After Unity3D having updated, just run Pipelight in your console. All these commands will run, and Unity3D Web Player will be updated and running.

Code (csharp):
    1. #!/bin/bash
    3. #FDS-Team: Pipelight Project
    4. #Tomasz Zackiewicz, Pipelight.sh
    6. #update the checksum of Unity3D Web Player
    7. sudo pipelight-plugin --update
    8. #clear the plugin cache for Firefox
    9. sudo pipelight-plugin --create-mozilla-plugins
    10. #enabling Unity3D Web Player
    11. sudo pipelight-plugin --enable unity3d
    It's for Firefox; for other browsers, you probably shouldn't use this command:

sudo pipelight-plugin --create-mozilla-plugins

Enjoy Unity3D games!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  13. Tomza

Tomza

This is the second test of game developing on Linux with Unity3D. When I'm recording, I have a big problem with performance. My 2GB RAM is too little so that all works perfectly. If you have a stronger computer, you won't experience such annoying problems.

14. Tomza

Tomza

I had free time, so I tried your solution out, gnumaru. Well, it works, but there are some problems:

1/ UnityEditor.dll and UnityEngine.dll are in hidden directory .PlayOnLinux, so when I want to add the references to them, I have a big problem because I can't choose the directory (It's hidden!). The program don't see hidden directories. I found a workaround. I just dragged and dropped the directory from inside .PlayOnLinux to the window for searching files/directories. It's not hidden (no dot at the beginning). Now the program see the directory. I could go deeper and deeper to get those .dll files. In this way, I was able to add UnityEditor.dll and UnityEngine.dll to my projects (*.sln).

2/ MonoDevelop don't see Unity scripts and Boo scripts, only C# scripts. But it's enough for a true developer. You can do everything with C#. What's more, I can create and edit my files with Notepad++ at the same time.

3/ MonoDevelop works form outside only. In other words, you can't open file inside Unity3D editor. I can do that with Notepad++ only.

4/ When I restart Unity3D, UnityEditor.dll and UnityEngine.dll disappear. I have to add them again. It's really irritating go through many directories every time.

5/ Debugging doesn't work

Despite these disadvantages, it's another way for editing scripts in C#. Maybe, it can be useful for some people. I don't know.

I used the native MonoDevelop 4.2.3.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  15. Goran Grncaroski

Goran Grncaroski

I did menage to make monodevelop to start with double click in the project.

I use ubuntu 13.10 and used Play on linux(POL) with the edited script from Damian, only changed ie6 to ie8.

next I re installed dotnet40 from POL and installed latest mono28 from POL also. changed wine to 1.7.13 and installed windows fonts and tahoma.

after this unity3d opened native mono with double click from project window.

many thanks to: waneck-six , Tomza and Damian-LinuxFan for this forum thread and contribution on linux unity3d.

16. Tomza

Tomza

Thanks for your info. Having running MonoDevelop in Unity3D is wonderful idea for many people.

However, I tried your solution. It's true, I got no previous error in the Unity3D Editor. MonoDevelop built in Unity3d seems to start, but crashes. The PlayOnLinux log doesn't say me what's wrong :(. I use openSuse 13.1. Maybe, you can write what you have done step by step. I use Notepad++ and I like that, but some people would be grateful for such info.

mono210 is newer than mono28 is.

Maybe, my problems with running MonoDevelop built in Unity3D is because of my system. You use Ubuntu. There are some differences among distros.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  17. Goran Grncaroski

Goran Grncaroski

did you install dotnet40 from POL > configure > install components ?

also I switched the wine version to 1.7.13 , you can do this from POL > configure > general tab wine version and add it with the + button to the right.

I did set force mono with wine tricks , but I think that have no effect on POL wine.

I am checking at the moment more things in POL as i go and what differences I have with the script in use. I learned allot new things about POL and wine today while installing League Of Legends (btw i did menage to make it work :p), ill keep you updated as I go cos i will need to make asset store run for my work.

$ssUnity3d01.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  18. Tomza

Tomza

Wow, good work, man! It works! It worked for me earlier, but sometimes when you start MonoDevelop and then close it, the process remains in the system, and consequently you can't start it again. That's why, I was unable to run it. Now, I know that If I can't start MonoDevelop, its process from previous instance still is alive. Now, it works.

Yes, I installed mono40 from inside the POL window. A few times. But maybe when you insert this to the script, it will be working, too.

I don't use mono28, but mono210.

I installed all .NET versions to be sure I have all what the program needs. I did some experiments.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  19. Akira_san

Akira_san

Really good news. So now unity script works?

20. Tomza

Tomza

Yes, very good news. This script should be still tested. Believe me or not, but I'm using MonoDevelop with my game. Debugging also works. I did debugging today. I'm really impressed. Goran had a good nose for that. It should work not only with installing from inside the POL window, but also by using the script. However, I'm not sure.

After having uninstalled .NET 3.5, I got the error in Mono Develop:

Error: Framework 'Mono / .NET 3.5' not installed. (Assembly-CSharp-firstpass)

So maybe we need all .NET in Wine. However, Goran have MonoDevelop working with no .NET 3.5 and 3.0.

I'll do a clear installation from the beginning. Without .NET 3.5 and 3.0.

I've just installed Unity3D, clear installation from the beginning and the same error:

However, both .NET 3.5 and 3.0 aren't installed in the POL virtual disk because this isn't in the script. But .NET 3.0 is installed in Wine only. I removed .NET 3.5 from Wine earlier. And it wants .NET 3.5 from me. So I think you don't need install .NET 3.5 and 3.0 in the POL virtual disk for Unity3D (they don't need to be included in the script). They have to be installed in Wine only to support all the features MonoDevelop needs.

I'll try to install .NET 3.5 that I removed earlier.

It works! Without any errors! So I was right.
    To be completely sure, I'll do a new installation from the beginning.

It's strange, because I go the error:

So I added .NET 3.5 to the script. .NET 3.0 is installed automatically with .NET 3.5. I made a new installation and it works.

So the script that works looks in this way:

Code (csharp):
    1. #!/bin/bash
    2. [ "$PLAYONLINUX" = "" ]  exit 0
    3. source "$PLAYONLINUX/lib/sources"
    5. POL_SetupWindow_Init
    7. POL_SetupWindow_presentation "Unity 3D" "Unity" "http://www.unity3d.com/" "Unity3D"
    9. #create prefix
    10. export WINEARCH="win32"
    11. POL_Wine_SelectPrefix "Unity3D"
    12. POL_Wine_PrefixCreate "1.7.13"
    14. #setup prefix
    15. POL_Wine_InstallFonts
    16. #POL_Call POL_Install_directx9
    17. POL_Call POL_Install_dotnet20
    18. POL_Call POL_Install_dotnet35
    19. POL_Call POL_Install_dotnet40
    20. POL_Call POL_Install_tahoma
    21. POL_Call POL_Install_vcrun2008
    22. POL_Call POL_Install_vcrun2010
    23. POL_Call POL_Install_mono210
    24. POL_Call POL_Install_d3dx9_36
    25. POL_Call POL_Install_d3dcompiler_43
    26. POL_Call POL_Install_dxdiag
    27. POL_Call POL_Install_dxfullsetup
    28. POL_Call POL_Install_physx
    29. POL_Call POL_Install_corefonts
    30. POL_Call POL_Install_msxml6
    31. POL_Call POL_Install_wininet
    32. POL_Call POL_Install_ie8
    34. #Setting OS wer
    35. Set_OS  "winxp"
    37. #Setting mono forcing in MonoDevelop
    38. POL_Wine_OverrideDLL "native" "mscore"
    39. POL_Wine_OverrideDLL "" "mscorsvw.exe"
    41. mkdir -p $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/users/$USER/AppData/LocalLow
    43. #registry
    44. regfile=$(mktemp --suffix=.REG)
    45. echo "REGEDIT4" > $regfile
    46. echo "" >> $regfile
    47. echo "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion]" >> $regfile
    48. echo '"ProductId"="12345-oem-0000001-54321"' >> $regfile
    50. POL_Wine regedit $regfile
    51. #rm $regfile
    53. POL_SetupWindow_browse "Please select the location of the Unity3D setup executable" "Unity Setup Executable"
    55. UNITYLOC=$APP_ANSWER
    56. POL_Wine $UNITYLOC
    58. POL_Shortcut "Unity.exe" "Unity 3D"
    60. POL_SetupWindow_Close
    61. exit
    If you have any problems with MonoDevelop, play with .NETs. But when you use this script, everything should work. MonoDevelop can make troubles during the first start, so close the application and try again.

If you don't know what to do, please go to my website:

http://tomaszzackiewicz.wordpress.com/2013/11/16/run-unity3d-on-linux-with-wine-solved/

You will get all info about installing Unity3D on Linux.

And we are waiting for Mesa 10.1. Remember that 3D is very important for games. And your software will look beautifully, not ugly like with the Previous Mesa 9.x. Windows is losing, even as to games.

MonoDevelop have many advantages, but it's a rich IDE, so run slowly. That's why, I'll be still using Notepad++, and if need be, I run MonoDevelop.

So far, under Linux, we can run:

1/ Unity3D
    2/ Unity Project Creator
    3/ MonoDevelop
    4/ Unity3D Web Player

We still can't run Asset Store.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  21. Goran Grncaroski

Goran Grncaroski

still have no time to further contribute, but i will be back cos I just switched to Linux and i found my self working in it.

so next thing to implement will be asset store window, cos its not showing. atm is only blank screen.

Tomza drop a line later with what you found about .net and what need to be installed. I want to install all .net packages bcos sometimes i get some errors about .net in terminal.

I have not played enough with scripting in linux this days to know the stability of native mono in wine.

I will keep you informed here as the time pass.

b.t.w grats Tomza on sucsses with mono on your machine (also if you menage to get it working like in ubuntu in opensuse I want to switch from ubuntu to opensuse, but I need to know if is safe thing to do).

22. Tomza

Tomza

My compatriots have been working over that since some time. Soon, we should see some results.

With my script, no errors so far. I can built, run and debug with no problems. No problems with memory, either. Tested on opneSuse 13.1 only.

MonoDevelop is really stable for me. No crashes and other issues. Just like under Windows.
    Ok. So do I.

Thanks. This revolution as to MonoDevelop for Unity3D was started by you, Goran.
    OpenSuse 13.1 seems the most stable distro in the world. It's not only my opinion. Using it, you have a stable Unity3D and MonoDevelop. No issues. But it's rather LTS, so you should accept that you will have older packages in your system than, for example, Fedora. But we need that, so that our system can be solid and stable. That's why I don't upgrade the kernel. I'm waiting for the upgrading from the official distro. You should know that kernel is very important as to 3d rendering. I only changed the Mesa version, from 9.x to 10.x. You will need to do that, because your Unity3d will look very bad. Just change a package provider from official to X11:XOrg (http://software.opensuse.org/package/Mesa). You will see that it is an unstable package, but do not worry - it's stable, really stable.

23. Goran Grncaroski

Goran Grncaroski

why mesa ?
    why not nvidia proprietary ?
    i am using 331.49 nvidia proprietary atm.
    looks like good performance to me.

24. Tomza

Tomza

Because I have an Intel graphics card, and Mesa is developed by guys from Intel.

There's a silent war between NVIDIA and Linux. Watch and have fun, Goran :):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVpOyKCNZYw

25. Goran Grncaroski

Goran Grncaroski

hahahahahahahaha

yeah I know exactly the feeling while i was fighting to make my nvidia 275gtx to work under ubuntu.

and honestly I spent the most time this days on the drivers .... lots of reinstalls and tweeking ....

so F*** NV about that from me to. but really you cant go anything else this days except nvidia and ati for serious graphics. its a shame really.

the drivers should be one click install, WTF is this nonsense. in windows you don't need to even restart to install nvidia drivers.

26. Tomza

Tomza

Yes, that's why, some users have a lot of troubles with running Unity3D on Linux. They shouldn't use NVIDIA drivers, but Mesa. Mesa have drivers for all graphics cards, and Intel is always fully supported.

Hardware drivers include:

Intel i965, i945, i915. See Intel's website
    AMD Radeon series. See RadeonFeature
    NVIDIA GPUs. See Nouveau Wiki
    VMware virtual GPU

So go with Mesa, guys. It's better and better.

27. Goran Grncaroski

Goran Grncaroski

yeah nouveau comes by default on ubuntu, and to be honest it's still not on pair with the nvidia proprietary especially for 3d.

28. Tomza

Tomza

It can be, because not all things are supported by Mesa as to NVIDIA. Fortunately, there's no problem with Intel. However, I think the new Mesa will improve that somewhat.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTU5NzU

This technology is developing all the time. I saw a previous Mesa and the newest - it's a very big difference. We should be patient - soon, we won't need proprietary drivers and libraries.

Did you tried the newest script out on Ubuntu?

It can be interesting for you why NVIDIA drivers are so poor in Mesa:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nouveau_linux313_problems&num=1

29. Goran Grncaroski

Goran Grncaroski

I doubt that they will ever catch up to the nvidia proprietary (even if they menage to do so, nvidia EGO is so big that they will improve the overall experience the next day).

I am not sure about what script you are talking about. but if you was referring to latest mesa/nouveau drivers, i did get update about mesa drivers from software update that brake allot of things in ubuntu, including unity desktop window manager (the only thing that you get is your desktop content and the wallpaper). I guess they don't remove nvidia drivers and library that come with them properly. yet again I needed to fix the drivers from terminal.

i did not test the performance tho, bcos several minutes after the updates nvidia proprietary was back on my system.

yeah i did some research last night, and I am well informed about the situation on linux desktops. Its not the problem about nvidia drivers performance, its all about the libraries that comes with them and stupid and complicated X.org. i guess the only problem for such a bad install method for the nvidia drivers is that you need to shut down the window manager and the install script don't have the permissions to do it.

its all cool if you know your way with computers, internet can solve allot of problems with a little research, BUT ... if you are total noob about computers and you want your computer to run from the box like 99.99% of the users out there, then you are screwed.

I hope wayland and mir will fix some problems that are present in x.org atm

30. Tomza

Tomza

I'm sorry for this mess. The problem is that some companies don't want support Linux. I can't understand that.

As to NVIDIA, I have never tested Mesa for it, but I know that it works with Intel perfectly. Mesa is developed by Intel, so there won't any problems. It's a warning for Linux users so that they buy computers with an Intel graphics card if they want to have a good 3D rendering. You probably watched my movies I placed in this thread. It works just like under Windows. Some users had a lot of problems with NVIDIA, too. They gave up installing Unity3D under Linux because of these problems.

I meant the script on the 6 page of this thread. It should install Unity3D with running MonoDevelop. Many people have problems with installing Unity3D on Linux and they are lost, so I wrote the tutorial to help them (a link under my posts).

So, for people like you that have NVIDIA in their computers, they should stay with the proprietary drivers. But this script should work and help them install Unity3D on Linux.

There are many issues with Ubuntu. It isn't stable as its makers wanted. I think openSuse is more stable. I've been using this distro for years. Other distros like Fedora, Mint, or Manjaro can make troubles for people who wish to use Unity3D under Linux. Under openSuse 13.1, Unity3D and MonoDevelop is so stable that I can make game as under Windows. What's more, its performance is better than under Windows was.

So I strongly recommend all the people who wish to run Unity3D under Linux successfully use:
    1/ openSuse 13.1
    2/ Intel Graphics Card
    3/ The recent Mesa (the package provider have to be changed)
    4/ The script (on the 6 page of this thread)
    4/ My tutorial

Period!

If you love your distros more than openSuse, your choice. But please don't be angry and have no complaints when your Unity3D installation will fail. It's not my fault that some companies make obstacles for Linux users. You have alternatives so choose wisely. Some people do all so that you can run Unity3D on Linux. We have done much. Again, choose wisely!

Maybe we can do more, but we need time. We are united to give a choice to people in the world. Be free in using software. It's our intention.

31. Akira_san

Akira_san

Im gonna wait when the new mesa comes out to test Linux openSuse 13.1. Is there gonna be openSuse 14 soon?

32. Tomza

Tomza

No, only openSuse 13.2 at the end of this year because most developers were shifted to make SLES and SLED.

Official info:

The openSUSE distribution is usually released every 8 months.

The currently planned dates for release thus are:

openSUSE 13.2: November 2014

Now, openSuse is just like Ubuntu LTS.

Which graphics card do you have? Intel?

The new Mesa is going to be released in two days I think. Now, we have only RC.

By the way, we have still Mesa 9.2.3 in official repo for openSuse 13.1. It's a disadvantage of LTS systems. But you have a very stable distro. Only change the Mesa provider and Unity3D will be working great.

MonoDevelop at work:

33. Goran Grncaroski

Goran Grncaroski

you don't understand me well what I was wanted to say. (I guess i did not express my self good, and i am sorry for that :) )

by unity I was referring to the ubuntu Unity desktop window manager, not the wine Unity3d. I have got Unity3d running fine from the first install with good performance and its stable.

as for using Intel graphic card just to have linux OS on your pc, I can't say that is a smart idea.
    especially if you make 3d games or if you are making 3d graphics like me in blender.

I am selling 3d assets in asset store and primary use of my pc is for making 3d graphic in blender. and for that you need good graphic card, not intel one.

if you must have linux and have to use unity3d, then you should be prepared to learn to tweak your distro to use the best drivers out there.
    and if you are not willing to get dirty to do that, then you are better off staying in windows for development.

anyway my point was you can make unity3d work on any distro you like, and regardless of the graphic card you use.

34. Tomza

Tomza

I did not express myself, either. I didn't mean just you, Goran. I wrote the post in general. Many people gave up installing Unity3D under Linux because they didn't do what they should.

Alas, not every distro is good for this solution. I'd like to, but so far there are some problems with some distros.

My intention is running Unity3D on Linux. I'm a computer programmer; a game developing is not important for me. If I work over any game, I make only scripts; 3D graphics is done by other people. This game is only demo.

Intel works very good for me. You can watch my demo movies.

35. Goran Grncaroski

Goran Grncaroski

NP man its all cool. :p

you have yours pc ready to go and you have the right distro and card + drivers that show it that unity3d works, and i am glad for you that you have it running good.

the part I don't agree with your requirements to have unity3d working stable and with good performance is:

1) Intel graphic card

2) open suse as must have distro.

I really like to switch to opensuse, and only thing that make me install ubuntu was the fact that unity3d export for linux is only officially supported for ubuntu.

and now that I have it all working including the pipelight unity web player, unity3d + mono under POL, League of legends, nvidia proprietary and all the software I need to work like gimp, krita and blender with all the settings I have under windows, its really hard for me to go setting opensuse from scratch.

that's why when I know that is working for me under ubuntu with nvidia on my pc I want to leave the info for the users out there to know they can make it work on any distro with any card.

I am not trying to start a war about what distro is the best and what graphic card + drivers are the best.

have a good day :p

36. Tomza

Tomza

OMG! I'm not a fanatic of openSuse. I just know this configuration works, and I wish to say that to other people. Because they can be lost in those all posts. Not all are specialists and experienced Linux users like you are. Not all know tweaks. I always think of beginners. In other words, my configuration was tested by me and I can recommend it for other people. My Intel graphcs card works with Mesa well, so I say about Intel. I know that some people have some problems with NVIDIA.

OK! It works with Ubuntu. VERY GOOD! Now, we have two distros that can work with Unity3D. Now, people can choose: Ubuntu or openSuse. Let them do that.

Don't you have any errors during building a project in MonoDevelop? You told my that there were some errors.

Sorry, I don't understand. Could you explain?

37. Goran Grncaroski

Goran Grncaroski

idk about building in mono. never used to build my projects in mono. I use mono only to program with auto completion. when I finish I only save the script and the rest is in unity3d. that's the same even for debuging, i debug in unity by setting parameters public to show in inspector.

I am not pro programmer and i don't really need it for my game.

I can test it just for info later. whats happen when you build ? it take the build settings from unity and build it for you in the folder you set there ? cos i dont want it to rewrite my previous build from unity xD

as for the unity3d official linux distro they support, that is ubuntu. you can export and make it work on any distro but they only support ubuntu officialy.

http://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform/desktop

you can read this there :
    "Unity 4 Linux standalone desktop publishing preview

The most requested feature from our Community arrives in Unity 4. Port your standalone 32 or 64-bit desktop game with the new free Linux publishing preview. With the success of the Humble Indie Bundle and Ubuntu Software Center, and the popularity of Linux for crowd-funded games, you don’t want to wait to bring your game to a market eager and willing to pay for high-quality interactive content.

The Linux desktop publishing preview is a work-in-progress. The Linux OS runs on a variety of hardware and utilizes different software. It will take more testing and feedback before Unity ships a final version. Many games will run without Linux-specific problems on most modern Linux systems. While in preview mode, we will only be offering official support for Ubuntu 10.04 or later, with a graphics card that has vendor-made drivers installed. We encourage you to report any problems you encounter to us so we can fix them for the final version."

38. Tomza

Tomza

Ah, I know now what you meant. So as a professional game developer you should use Ubuntu. It isn't so important for me. I wished to help Linux users run Unity3D on Linux. And when I am writing scripts for a game, I have to have a running Unity3D instance with no issues.

So you don't need MonoDevelop! You can use Notepad++. I made the whole game under Windows with using only Notepad++. When MonoDevelop didn't work for Unity3D under Linux, I used Notepad++, too. I wrote a tutorial how to download, install, and setup this editor for Unity3D.

MonoDevelop's debugging have many issues; not only under Linux but also under Windows. It isn't reliable, but sometimes useful. However, you can debug without MonoDevelop.

Yes, "it take the build settings from unity and build it for you in the folder you set there". Exactly. If you don't want to rewrite, just don't do that! What you have in the inspector (for example, values of variables), won't be overridden by values from your script. At least, they shouldn't. However, MonoDevelop seems the weakest point in Unity3D, so sometimes its behavior can surprise you. That's why, I used Notepad++. No auto completion, but the syntax is colored. Every new building destroys the current building, so if you want to keep the old building, do not build with new settings. Because you will have new settings.

39. Akira_san

Akira_san

Due to the lack of Linux standards is hard to support lots of distros.
    Ive got an nvidia, but will probably be taking AMD apu. So i guess thats save for Linux.

40. Goran Grncaroski

Goran Grncaroski

at the moment it looks like nvidia proprietary is the best driver on linux.

I like ati bcos they have great value for the money, but it a shame that they don't know how to write good drivers.

anyway do some research before you jump in to buying a graphic card.

41. Goran Grncaroski

Goran Grncaroski

when developing in windows i use visual studio C# express. but after the last update for mono 4 in unity3d i think i can go with that for my needs.
    i do need auto complete, like I said I am not a pro programmer so i need the suggestions from the ide when i do bad casts and stuff like that :D

i did try to rebuild in mono and i got error that i don't have mono 3.5, I did try to install it from POL but with no success. it do install but mono did drop the same mistake that mono 3.5 net is missing. I guess i need to reinstall unity3d, or maybe i just need to do restart, but I won't do that bcos i don't need the debug and build from mono options, and this is working just fine for me atm.

42. Tomza

Tomza

Goran, I wrote all a few posts earlier what to do when you see this error. Go to my tutorial. If you do all step by step, you won't see this error. I got these errors,too. This script (on the 6th page) will help you install what you need to run Unity3D and MonoDevelop with no problems. But you should do that from the beginning. However, if you don't need that, it's OK!

43. Tomza

Tomza

So I can't guarantee you that your Unity3D and MonoDevelop will be working well :(. My configuration is tested. You can see the results on my movies. It really works. NVIDIA is very good, but it should support Linux without dirty deeds against Linux technologies. Mesa is perfect for Intel graphics card. I unable to test all configurations (distros and graphics cards). That's why, I asked all readers of this thread to share their experiences. What works and what doesn't. Not many people have replied.

PLEASE, DEAR READERS AND LINUX USERS, SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE ON THIS FORUM. I WISH TO KNOW YOUR DISTRO YOU ARE USING AND WHAT'S HAPPENING WHEN YOU INSTALL UNITY3D.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  44. Goran Grncaroski

Goran Grncaroski

I will reinstall just to test it out.

EDIT: just as I suspected reinstall fix the build problem. it need to have all dot nets installed before installing unity3d.
    so now its confirmed, it works perfect under ubuntu 13.10 with unity3d 4.3.4 on nvidia 275gtx oc with proprietary drivers installed for the card.

45. Tomza

Tomza

Thanks a lot!

Did you use the script or you did that manually? It's important.

46. Akira_san

Akira_san

Are you with trial ver of Unity when reinstalling on Linux?

47. Goran Grncaroski

Goran Grncaroski

48. Tomza

Tomza

"trial ver of Unity" - what do you mean? the pro version? I'm using the free one.

49. Goran Grncaroski

Goran Grncaroski

I am using unity3D free.

but that don't change anything. all versions work, you just need to re licence the version you have when you start unity3d.

50. Tomza

Tomza

I have never had any problems with installing Unity3D under openSuse 13.1. You see that there are some differences among distros. There can be things that don't work with some distros. That's why it's important to say clearly which configurations work and which don't. because some people can say that we are liers. Unity3D can't be started on Linux or its running is S***ty. It's not true you can work just like under Windows. I hope Asset Store will be fixed soon, too.

Very well, the script works!

Exactly!