Search Unity

Unity WebPlayer Plugin Update Check

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Jehsup, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Jehsup

Jehsup

Does the webplayer do a plugin version\version update check on startup or any other kind of a "phoning home"?

If so, is there a way to disable that feature?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

--J

2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

There are some ping operations so we can actively push out a web player update if desired, but we tend to avoid that and instead rely on content driven updates. I should also mention that as of Unity 2.1 the web player also pings home once after install to provide us with a snapshot of the user's hardware configuration (anonymously, no content URLs or other usage information is gathered). For more information you should check out the following blog post recently made by Aras:

Hardware of the Casual Gamer

And to answer your specific question I'll note that there is no control over any of this on your end.

Hope that helps!

3. monark

monark

What's the situation with backwards compatibilty, I noticed some sites that have unity content now no longer work since I updated to 2.1, should they?

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

They should work. If everything is okay with the site (i.e. it just didn't stop working because someone removed some file), and it stopped working with Unity 2.1, then it's a bug.

Please report bugs on which sites stopped working with 2.1.