Search Unity

Unity Webplayer installation error- Unity Webplayer update finished, but installed..

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by puerto, Feb 3, 2013.

1. puerto

puerto

I have this issue thats been serious doing my head in.

When I install the latest unity web player, I always get the following error:

Failure to update Unity Web Player.
    Unity Web Player update finished, but installed revision (4018001) is less than the required revision (4018002). Please reinstall.

I have searched far and wide and spend about 5 hours time, have seen and followed several threads of users with similar problems, but the solutions, which worked for them, did not work for me.

I have tried the following methods and always the the same error message:
    1. Uninstall unity web player. Reinstall web player- didnt work
    2. The above + restart computer reinstall web player - didnt work
    3. The above + clear browser caches an all browsers installed on os, reinstall web player - didnt work
    4. The above + delete all local unity files (all the folders from program files, which remain after installation), reinstall - didnt work
    5. The above + download CCleaner and run cleaner and do registry clean, reinstall web player - didnt work
    6. The above + use regedit and find every single instance of 'unity' and delete all unity entry files - didnt work
    7. Installed the full webplayer .exe file from a .cab file (forum suggestion somewhere) - didnt work
    8. Installed the unity editor (forum suggestion somewhere - didnt work
    9. Tried clean installing it on firefox, IE9 and Opera.

Im running win 7 SP1, unity webplayer 4.0.1f2 using Firefox.
    The webplayer used to work fine back in december (when i last used it here).

I am also located in China, so i wouldnt find it impossible to believe if there was some sort of internet communication problem.
    I am a unity developer, in my office i have uninstalled and reinstalled the web player 100's of times, always without problem (just my luck that at home using my free time, i get these issues)
    my best guess to the problem is, that somewhere, somehow some old files are stored somewhere (even though i removed all traces on unity) and when it runs the version check, it goes to the wrong directory (or doesnt find it).

any help on this would be great,a s i have literally been yelling at the monitor the whole morning, as this is an extremely frustrating bug.

2. puerto

puerto

Im gonna reply to this thread myself, as I have finally managed to find out the problem (and its a bug, so hope someone from unity is taking note).

Starting by just having uninstalled the unity webplayer (no need for regedits, cclean etc).

First, I install the unity loader.
    this creates following folders on my system:

C:\Users\UserNamer\AppData\LocalLow\Unity\WebPlayer\loader

Next, I install the unity webplayer.
    this creates the following two folders:

C:\Users\UserNamer\AppData\LocalLow\Unity\WebPlayer\mono
    C:\Users\UserNamer\AppData\LocalLow\Unity\WebPlayer\player

Now, for the important bit:

Within each of these folders, there is a file called: 'info.plist'
    If you open up that file with notepad, you can see the string:

<string>4.0.1f2</string>

(Please note, as of writing, the current unity webplayer version is 4.0.1f2, which is shown in the string above. Depending when you read this, your version number may be different)
    now, inside of the 'loader' and 'player' folders, the string will have those values,
    however inside the 'mono' folder, I have discovered the string to be different.
    It shows:

<string>4.0.1f1</string>
    not
    <string>4.0.1f2</string>

so the version number is different!
    I simply changed it so that its the same as the string in the 'player' and 'loader' file and,
    it worked!

F***ing knew it all along that there was just some simple verification check at the end, which was causing the cockup.
    I spent good 6 hours, researching, following all solutions, even doing system restores. Nothing, but anyway.

I tested this method step by step, repro-ed it about 5 times and it works 100% for my problem (or people who have the same problem as me).

on a final note, i have no idea why the webplayer is creating the bug, i have it running on about 20 systems at the office and no problem. Just for some unknowns reason it happens on my home computer, so i cant clock it off at work :/.

Anyway, if this solution proves useful for anyone, please leave a comment so that others know it works too.
    I don't wish that crazy amount of frustration and troubleshooting for something that should be super simple, onto anyone.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  3. vinnie1225

vinnie1225

OMG it works for me. Thank you so much. This problem has been killing me.

4. Marli

Marli

+1 Buddy Problem solved. This is the only way to fix that.
    Thanks

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

I also encountered the same problem and I tried the above method does not work,In the last,My friend can run the file folder copy all over, it work.
    When I try to re-install it again, it is not working .Why do I have to use someone else's file folder? F***

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Why did almost a year to resolve this stupid mistake

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I hope my experience can help others....

8. Cedron

Cedron

I was intrigued by what you found out, so I decided to check my own system. However, I've learned that the WebPlayer Installer for Unity Plugin version: 4.3.4f1 only created the Loader directory for me. A system search for the mono and player didn't return any results. I'm sure its a similar issue since the error I get is

A newer version of Unity Web Player is required, but the auto-update download failed.

Here's to hoping you are still checking this post now and again.
    Thanks all.

9. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

You are spot on with the web player installer only installing the plugin aka Loader. The loader will download and install the Mono and Player components on demand. Things that can cause this to go wrong (off the top of my head):

a) A download manager intercepts the request for Mono and Player and does what it wants with the download, so the Loader never gets the two files it's asked for.
    b) You have some web cache between you and the Unity servers which sees the request for the player and mono and serves you a cached copy which might be out of date. (Note, these caching proxies might not be under your control.)
    c) The game you are playing has been created using an un-released version of Unity, and the files your Loader requests don't exist on the public servers.

10. Cedron

Cedron

The two games I play that use Unity are Battlestar Galactica Online and Dead Frontier. As far as the download, i'm using whatever Internet Explorer 10 uses to Save As to a directory where I keep downloads. I'm using Revo Uninstaller and CCleaner to make sure there aren't any cache left over after the uninstall. BGO has been around a while now, so it shouldn't be an issue with them. Dead Frontier I play now and again when I feel like blasting zombies.

This isn't the first time that Unity has just stopped working for me. It usually corrects itself when they put out the next version. So it may be six months before I get to play BGO again. Very annoying and I suspect this is why their playerbase turns over so often.

11. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Maybe, but I am trying to help you. Do you have anything in the Mono and Player folders?

12. Cedron

Cedron

Those directories haven't been created.

13. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

a) Visit http://unity3d.com/gallery/demos/live-demos#angrybots, enable the plugin if your browser asks for permission.

==> The plugin/loader should fetch across to the unity website and download zip files that contain the Player and Mono.

b) If the angrybots game plays, then you should have a Mono and Player folder. Sorted.

c) If the demo doesn't play back, then something has stopped the fetching of these components.

==> Note that these zip files should be fetched by the browser, but not stored in a downloads folder, or anything like that. If you get any prompts for what to do with these zip files, take a screenshot and post here.

==> Alternatively, these zip files may have been unzipped into either you AppData folder, or, if you installed the plugin as an admin, and requested it installed for all users, then it's possible these zip files have been unzipped into C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Unity\\WebPlayer.

HTH,
    Graham

14. Cedron

Cedron

When I went to the Live Demos page and clicked the angry bots, it showed the loading page. But instead of showing any progress it went to the error message.

A newer version of Unity Web Player is required, but the auto-update download failed.
    Was trying to download
    http://webplayer.unity3d.com/Channels/c16aa56d757c/UnityPlayer3.x.x-win32.zip

Well, I was having an issue using explorer to upload the picture of the error popup so i opened up chrome to follow the same steps, and it started loading and failed about 1/8th the way through. The error said download failed, so going to ctrl+F5 to retry. Okay, it took about 10 more attempts, but i got angry bots to finish downloading. Played about 5 seconds of it. Looks like a new imagining of Wolfenstein.

Anyway, now I have all three directories, Loader, Mono and Player.

My first attempt to load Battlestar Galactica Online gave me an error code about a Bad File Length, so I'll keep reloading to see if the error changes or Unity crashes.

At any rate, this is what I know so far.

15. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Result! Great news.

So, bad file length is something completely different. The artwork for the game has been requested, but the file that was sent is not complete - usually a few bytes short. What I'd do in this situation is clear your browser cache. It's possible that the browser has cached the short file and is simply providing that when the plugin asks for the file.

16. Cedron

Cedron

The second time BGO loaded just fine. Seems I'm back in business.

Today is the second day I've been able to play Battlestar Galactica. Thank you Mr. Dunnett.

17. nownz

nownz

still not working :(

whats unity loader?

18. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

The plugin that connects the browser to the Unity runtime, aka player.

19. jimprucey

jimprucey

anyone know where to find these files on a Mac?

20. RobbieDingo

RobbieDingo

I'm having this same issue - on a mac.

The Unity Web Player gets about 80% through loading, then:-

"Failed to update Unity Web Player"
    "Show Error Details..." or "Install Manually"

(Install Manually does not work).

21. RobbieDingo

RobbieDingo

I contacted Unity Support about the problem I was seeing above on a Mac - this is the fix, which worked for me:-

1. If you see the error, it means you actually have Unity installed. The system just thinks there's a version mismatch and there's a permission problem.
    2. Open Finder > (your hard drive) > Library > Internet Plug-Ins > see Unity Web Player.plugin
    3. Right click and "Show Package Contents"
    4. Browse to Contents > Frameworks
    5. Right click Frameworks and Get Info
    6. Click "Sharing Permissions" at bottom of the info box, you should see system, staff, everyone.
    7. Unlock with lock icon in bottom right, enter your password
    8. Hit + button bottom left, and highlight Users Groups > Administrator - and hit "Select" bottom right
    9. You should see this new line item in the custom access list. Might take a few tries to make it appear
    10. When it shows up, change the admin permission to "Read Write". (You can also remove Staff if you like with the "-" button)
    11. Close the info box
    12. Run the game

Unity support will be making a new installer soon...

22. danish-zia

danish-zia

How can i get that loader ,, plz tell

23. danish-zia

danish-zia

What is loader ! How can i get it

24. RustyXP

RustyXP

@RobbieDingo

Yes! Thank's so much for sharing this fix!

I've been battling with the Mac Web Player's "A newer version of Unity Web Player is required, but the auto-update download failed" issue for a few weeks. I thought I had tried everything, but your 12-step program finally fixed it for me!

All the best,
    Rusty

25. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Visit: http://unity3d.com/webplayer and download the installer. Run it, and you'll have the loader.

26. Reve

Reve

I am getting the same error (auto update failed, manually install). I've gone through several forums, and I cannot find a solution. I am not a computer person so I'll admit some of the lengthy answers are a bit beyond me, but I've tried what I can when there are clear instructions listed. Most solutions refer to 'Internet Download Manager', advising to turn it off. I do NOT have this. I am able to download the webplayer but nothing happens after that, and I keep getting the error to manually install. I checked the user files, as the original poster did, and I saw I only have 1 file- WebPlayer\loader.

I tried the angry bots demo, and again am presented the 'update failed' error. Mr. Dunnett- you said if the demo doesn't play something has stopped the player from fetching the components. Is there a way I can fix this? If something is stopping it, how can I figure what the problem is? Or is there somewhere else I can look to find the answer?

If it matters, this all occurred while trying to log into the Cortex for Firefly online.

Thank you for any suggestions.

27. magickxx

magickxx

Ive been trying all day to resolve the failed to update error whilst trying to access firefly online. In the end all i had to do was update my Java and it has allowed me straight in. windows 7, google chrome. HTH

28. someonewhoisnotme

someonewhoisnotme

where do i find the folders?

29. Enki-Studios

Enki-Studios

Fantastic! I installed the -p patch to fix kindle related issues, and web builds stop working. This solution actually fixed it! Thanks a bunch!

30. musicm122

musicm122

Ello, My Specs
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    i7 8GB 1TB SSD
    ISP:Comcast
    Speed:http://www.speedtest.net/result/4175744075.png
    Java Version 8 : update 31 (build 1.8.0_31-b13)

my web player version
    <string>5.0.0f4</string>

I've done all that the user puerto and Cedron have done.
    -Additionally I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled Unity and the web player restarted and attempted to install the web player.
    -I've completely uninstalled my download manager, Antivirus software and just about anything else that looks like it might give me a problem but, I still only have the Loader Directory in the LocalLow folder.

Graham Dunnett, you mentioned :
    b) You have some web cache between you and the Unity servers which sees the request for the player and mono and serves you a cached copy which might be out of date. (Note, these caching proxies might not be under your control.)

How would I know this?
    Is there a way to verify? (By IP Maybe?)
    Is there a way around this?
    Can I download the contents of the other folders (Player, Mono) manually ?

I've had this problem since Dec and have attempted to fix it several times but I am at my limit.

What can I do?
    Not sure this helps but my latest web player game build is located at :
    http://hackerferret.com/game/exploratory-platforming-demo/

Please help me to solve this problem.

31. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

There is no 5.0.0f4 web player available to the public. Can you PM me to confirm your 5.0 details.

32. Checco-Esimple

Checco-Esimple

We have a problem with Unity 5.1.2 webplayer deployment. We're managing a security platform which is outside the internet and until the 5.0.3 we installed the fullinstaller there without any problem

Today we updated the project to 5.1.2 and exported the webplayer file, but since the workstation works only offline (for security reasons) it started to give the error of plugin update.

We tried to make the workstation connect to the internet and it worked, but after disconnecting again we get stucked on the same error screen.

We noticed that the plugin version is 5.0.3f, but the embed has been built with 5.1.2. We tried to download again the fullinstaller, but it's still the 5.0.3f version and it gives the error.

Reverting to 5.0.3 and building again we got it working offline as expected.

Consider that our 3D tool is the frontend of a security platform which is used to manage the main exhibition event running now in Italy and we're getting a lot of complaining from the customer ( which is a company that belongs to Italian government).

Please Let us know as soon as possibile if there is a way to solve.

Thanks

33. iokak

iokak

It worked! But in my case, both the files mono and player folder were wrong. I'm so glad you figured out the bug.

34. TanKha

TanKha

can you help me?

35. JoneyZ

JoneyZ

Thank you so much. It worked!This problem has been killing me.