Search Unity

Unity vs UE4 - the Power of Unity! - Koola Corridor scene

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Bouncelight-Studio, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Bouncelight-Studio

Bouncelight-Studio

PREVIEW ONLY
    Hello community!

This is the Koola corridor scene. I have recreated this scene ( chairs excluded ) for test the Unity 5 power.
    Everything is in realtime... no baked lights, no baked reflections...

Enjoy!

Coming soon:
    Video tutorials on the following topics: Realistic lighting - Realistic materials - Advanced Texturing

We work for you:
    We accept commissioned work

Chair model from Evermotion.org ( Archmodels vol. 121).

You can buy it from here: http://www.evermotion.org/modelshop/show_product/archmodels-vol-121/9226/0/0/

Screenshots:

SAOTA and Rodolfo-Rubens like this.
  2. XboxOne4Lyfe

XboxOne4Lyfe

Can you post the UE4 screenshots as well? I want to see how it stacks up side by side with UE4.

3. Bouncelight-Studio

Bouncelight-Studio

Obviusly the textures are not the same...

konsnos and Rodolfo-Rubens like this.
  4. SAOTA

SAOTA

nice

5. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Very nice screenshots, you should make a video with the realtime GI in action.
    and Unity's lack of SSR strikes again, but @kode80 's implementation is filling the gap for now.

6. Bouncelight-Studio

Bouncelight-Studio

Thank you ad yes... I will make a video in these coming days.

eldvatn and shkar-noori like this.
  7. XboxOne4Lyfe

XboxOne4Lyfe

The second set is from UE4? If it is, I think it actually looks a little bit nicer than Unity. The Unity set has better textures, but I think UE4 wins with the AA, reflections, and nice lighting.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The UE4 version looks way nicer. But I actually think that's the tonemapping and shadow quality settings at fault on the unity side - and possible to do.

They're not the same scenes though.

9. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

yes its, and it indeed does look better, it's just better post processing and i 'guess' the lighting is baked?
    but Unity's lighting in that scene is real-time and you can never achieve the same effect as baked lighting.

10. rebit

rebit

Awesome work ! Have a demo video ? Its wonderfull with you share the pipeline to get this image quality !

11. rebit

rebit

Tip: You can get free 3D models from the design furniture companies like chairs, sofa and many others furnitures.

Just go to the furniture design companies websites, almost them have free .dxf, catalog to download ! Just download and apply textures.

Example: http://www.kohler.ca/tech/cadsymbol/cadsymbol.jsp

12. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

or charkes's ssr...

13. Bouncelight-Studio

Bouncelight-Studio

Hi community... this was just a test to understand the potential of Unity... I did not want to create the same perfect scene; also because I do not have the same material ( textures included ). For the shadows, the UE4 Engine, use DFAO ( Distance Field Ambient Occlusion ) and it's baked and not dynamic... so, I don't want do anything like this. I think that Unity can get to bridge the big gap with EU4 although not completely.. ( for now ) and I will try to demonstrate this with my future projects - This is my point of view. Said this, I remind you all " This is just a test"

Good day to all!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  14. Bouncelight-Studio

Bouncelight-Studio

Exactly... Is not a problem of the tonemapper settings. In this scene, the colors is a bit saturated, and the materials / materials textures ( Skybox included ) are not the same. So, this goes to influence the light in the scene.

15. kenshin

kenshin

carking1996 likes this.
  16. Dodzilla

Dodzilla

Looks fantastic, can't wait for those tutorials!

carking1996 likes this.
  17. Bouncelight-Studio

Bouncelight-Studio

as soon possible..

JDMulti and kenshin like this.
  18. JDMulti

JDMulti

Can't wait for it ;)

19. JDMulti

JDMulti

Was wondering how the tutorials were going, I'm really interested in them, especially the mood you archived that's simular to the UE4 version.

Recently I made something simular myself just to try out a few things. This is what I created so far with opensource 3d application Blender, Unity Personal, Opensource SSRR from Github, buildin image effects and custom made sunlight script. I'm now trying to create the other room with chairs as well as shown in the UE4 version. All together I want to have about the same length as the UE4 video, almost same shots and the final product will be a video and a runtime version.
    I dont'have a lot of sparetime, but when I have I work a little on it. :)

The SSRR from github I used, I'm really happy with this opensource version.
    https://github.com/kode80/kode80SSR

Attached Files:

DennG likes this.
  20. DennG

DennG

looking great so far ;)

Did you try out SMAA?
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/free-subpixel-morphological-antialiasing-smaa.323572/
    It's much better than the standard Unity FXAA.

JDMulti likes this.
  21. JDMulti

JDMulti

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

How about the various colour graders built into unity for a start? They're just as good as the paid ones if a little tricky to use.

23. JDMulti

JDMulti

Used only the curves one so far, but indeed a little tricky to get the right effect. Photoshop screenshot with curves is a good start to get simular effect, however needs a lot of precise curve setup in unity to get the same results. Only the one with a ramp texture is a lot of trial and error to use. :(

24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

25. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Any news when release?

kenshin likes this.
  26. JDMulti

JDMulti

They do need trial and error editing the Colorramp. because you don't know exactly from where in the ramp the color is applied to the screen, at least not if you play with it the first few times. Then if you get a wrong color, you get strange splotches over the screen that show an overbright area. If you don't know what I mean, look at the link you gave me, on the image you'll see some splotches on the ground that are white and have a blue artifact edge. That is what I mean with trial and error to not let that happen. Any other colorgrading image effect I've seen didn't have those strange artifacts straigh away when applying a colorramp. If I didn't have to work trial and error, then it would have a proper editor or color ramp property instead of a texture and worked without any issues the every first time I used it.

27. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Umm i think what @hippocoder mean is this one.... http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/script-ColorCorrectionLookup.html
    By using CC Lookup what you see in the photoshop is the same as in game

28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yep that's the one.