Search Unity

Unity VS tools broke my project, how to fix?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Nanako, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Nanako

Nanako

Hi all. In one of my projects, i accidentally imported two different versions of the unity VS tools, one for 2013 and one for 2015. Now the project is unuseable:

This constant spamming of errors keeps stealing focus and makes me unable to do anything. It's actually just the same two errors, alternating. This goes on forever, and i have to terminate the editor process

Any idea what i can do to resolve this?

2. Nanako

Nanako

poke!
    this seems to have drifted out of sight

3. Zenix

Zenix

Probably start by deleting the unityvs files from your project...

4. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

Delete your projects library folder and restart unity

5. Baste

Baste

Since 5.2, UnityVS should not be in the project at all, so if you've got that installed, just delete the folders.

Otherwise, delete them, reimport the entire project, and include only the one you want.

Nigey likes this.
  6. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

This...
    ...and this is where I would start.

I would start with the unityvs folder. Just delete it and then open your project back up and see what happens. If it's still broken, delete the library folder as well, then reopen in Unity. Just make sure you have a backup of everything first.

7. Nanako

Nanako

what exactly is in that library folder? it looks like a lot of important stuff

8. Nanako

Nanako

I'm still using 5.1.1 apparently. please explain this
    it sounds like i should update, but that can be fraught with peril

9. Baste

Baste

The library folder is a bunch of collected data about your game. How you have imported things, what settings you have, things like that.

All of it can be regenerated from the .meta files in your project, it just takes a bunch of time. If you delete your library folder, the only thing you lose is the time it takes for Unity to re-import everything.

UnityVS is included in Unity 5.2, so if you get that, having UnityVS in your assets folder would mean that you'd have a duplicate of UnityVS, which would probably be bad.

10. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

Its more or less the compiled metadata for all your assets. It can sometimes get out of sync with your .meta files or get corrupted. Deleting it is perfectly fine, it just means when you start your project it will have to go through all your assets again and regenerate it.

Also if your are using version control, never version your Library folder, it will make commits a huge mess, and cause it to get corrupted easily.

It is usually the problem when you see GUID problems or timestamp problems in the error log, though it it always good to try and figure out why the library broke before wiping it out so it dosnt happen again.