Search Unity

Unity Version Control Issues

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Saxi, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Saxi

Saxi

When making changes to a project using build in version control, it creates a default change set.
    If you open another project without submitting that change set, it shows up in your other project and throws a ton of errors about the asset database.

Is there anyway to get unity to default to keeping changesets unique to each project?
    Using Perforce.

2. jdrewsen

jdrewsen

Unity Technologies

Best option it so create a workspace pr. project. Ignoring things that are outside the unity project folder would make it not play well together with using other perforce tools on the side such as p4v because they don't know about the Unity project folder concept. For example, imaging we just did not show things in a changeset that is outside the folder and the you add a file to the changeset outside unity. Now when Unity submits that changeset we can either strip things outside the project root (ie. create a new changeset, move the files there and submit, leaving the original changeset with the rest of the files unsubmitted) or submit the changeset with all the files (in this case you really want to know what is being submitted and therefore they should be listed in Unity). We choose the latter because there it is more transparent what is going on and less chance of messing up your changesets/workspace.

Another reason for keeping projects in separate workspaces is when you sync new changes. You will likely get updates to another project in the same workspace without thinking about it.

Of course the errors should not be there. Have you already filed a bug report?

3. Saxi

Saxi

No I didn't not file an error report, but I can put one through.

The issue with one workspace per project is it is more work to setup and manage and makes it so you cannot use the free edition as there is a very small limit to how many workspaces. Perforce documentation seems to hint at one workspace per computer is ideal, and have additional workspaces in unique situations where you want "another view". I spoke with Perforce and they are changing modifying their P4 Connect asset to work with multiple projects per workspace because using a workspace per project isn't how they intend it to be used.

4. jdrewsen

jdrewsen

Unity Technologies

Interesting! I will talk to my Perforce contact about how they intend to make that work.