Search Unity

Unity Tree scaling inside terrain - no effect?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by RyuMaster, Jul 31, 2011.

1. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

I've created bush using Unity Tree editor.
    I've added it as terrain tree.
    But it always keep original size.
    usually I could use "fbx import settings", but Unity tree does not have this panel.
    Altering prefab scaling helps not.

I can only use slider inside terrain, but it has minimal value of 50, which is still to big for me.

Is that supposed to work that way?

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

You need to scale the Tree in the Tree Creator.

ayaaz012 likes this.
  3. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

I obviously tried it first

If I use scalings under "transform" dialog, it works for tree palced on scene directly, but not via terrain.
    And, if not, I don't see any scaling inside Tree Creator, except of "radius", "length", which still is not enough to help

4. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

The Transform will not fix this. Unfortunately you need to scale the Tree in the Tree Creator with Length, Radius, etc. AFAIK there is no other way to get around this problem atm.

5. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

Hmmmm, I see.
    The minimal values for radius and length are "0.1" - is there some way to use even smaller ones? maybe, via some Editor scripting I would make it possible?

6. vfxjex

vfxjex

Sad to say you can only scale procedural trees in the tree editor. scaling the transform scale will not affect the scale of tress in the terrain. this is a tedious process where you need to adjust the attributes of all the parts of the tree like Length and Radios. If this functions are disable, make sure to click "Convert to procedural group" under tree prefab.

7. Xoduz

Xoduz

This is one of the weakest parts of the Terrain/Tree-system in Unity for me. Purchasing tree-creator-made trees from the Asset Store and then finding out that the trees are 3-10 times as large as any other asset in your scene and that you can't properly scale them down (the minimum size in the terrain tree painting options is often not small enough) without essentially tweaking the length and radius of every branch and leaf in the tree editor, for X amount of individual trees? Not fun.

Revard likes this.
  8. Revard

Revard

I have the same issue here... Is there any solution found now?

9. Etchrr

Etchrr

2020 and I'm having this problem... I think there's no solution by now...

theouterpig likes this.
  10. mtGameDev

mtGameDev

i have this problem too !
    in every new version there is a serious bug with Terrain system.
    i don't know why the unity credits don't pay attention that.
    so what we have to do ? waiting and stop our projects until unity fix these bugs ??? :((((((((((

11. Cybermind13

Cybermind13

I changed the scale on the tree model import settings. Find the model (not prefab) in your assets, in the inspector, press model then under scene change the scale factor to your liking. You might also need to change billboard start in your terrain settings, my editor doesn't draw trees very far off in the distance, but in your build version there should be billboards where the trees are missing in your editor/player.

12. CesarCanto

CesarCanto

Thanks Cybermind13. Just checked that you can actually resize the trees by doing the scale inside the model. Is a scalar Scale, so you will scale in all 3 Axis. Just to keep in mind that.

13. DanhHuy

DanhHuy

I find a way to solve that problem ez, You need to Untick Convert Units then Scale project as big as you want at Scale Factor. Use at painting terain as well

Attached Files:

• Ez.PNG
      Ez.PNG
      File size:
      37 KB
      Views:
    trombonaut likes this.