Search Unity

Unity to Steam SDK BETA annoucment

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by zimmpatrick, Dec 27, 2011.

1. zimmpatrick

zimmpatrick

We are announcing the beta version of our Community Express SDK for Unity. This SDK allows Unity based games easy integration with Steam to bring your game to 20+ million players on PC. An OnLive version is in the works to target an additional 10+ million players.

We’re opening up the SDK beta version to developers interested in bringing their game to Steam. To ship as soon as possible, your game should already be approved by Valve and have an Application ID. But we can also help you make contact with Valve and go through the process, if you haven’t already done so.

The SDK is simple to integrate and you can have Achievements working within a few hours along with Multi-player / Matchmaking within a week. The Unity Angry Bots example game was able to be updated to include Multi-player Co-Op play and Achievements in less than a week (we’ll be uploading a tutorial to the website covering this).

The SDK covers the entire Steamworks API including: Friends, Groups / Clans, Achievements, Leaderboards, Matchmaking, Voice Chat, Cloud Storage, Downloadable Content and Dedicated Servers. All community APIs will be exposed with easy to use interfaces; no need to worry over DLL interfaces, binary c-structures, etc.

We’ll be rolling out a full website with tutorials and samples, etc but for the mean while find us at http://www.communityexpresssdk.com/ or contact me directly at patrick@zimmdot.com if you are interested in the beta and rolling your game out to Steam and OnLive.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. janpec

janpec

Excellent.

3. spinaljack

spinaljack

That's awesome, is it open source or will there be a fee?

4. Ullukai

Ullukai

cool ... you got me interested !

5. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

That's awesome, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this

6. mehware

mehware

Very Cool!

7. LucasDaltro

LucasDaltro

Yes!That's awesome:D
    Will it work on unity free?

8. zimmpatrick

zimmpatrick

Thanks for the feedback... post if you have any other questions. I'm interested to know what features people are most interested in.

Our intention is to make it free to develop and try out (with no time limit) but when you are ready to submit to Steam or OnLive the cost will be $150.

No, for Native Code Plugin support Unity Pro is required.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

1. Click advanced on edit to fix the title typo :)

2. The stats you present for millions of customers, sounds fun, with onlive having 10 million already. Is this true?

10. Avanger

Avanger

sry but i dont understand im not the best on english for what is this and how i can do with this will be a multy player for unity?

11. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

WoooHooo.... now just to make my game :D

12. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

:) i am interested to say the least

13. zimmpatrick

zimmpatrick

1. Thanks- Done!
    2. For OnLive the numbers came out after their UK launch http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/onlive-claims-uk-audience-of-millions/087255 it was a quote from their CEO. I can look again for the source for Steam but with 4 million daily players I'm sure the install base is over 20 million.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  14. mehware

mehware

I saw OnLive being played on the Xperia Sony Phone, or maybe Unity has plans for that platform.

What's the process of getting approved for OnLive anyways... don't mean to sidetrack.

Keep up the good work!

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Onlive is something to watch for sure.

16. zimmpatrick

zimmpatrick

Don't worry, OnLive is still on topic; I was working on the OnLive version today :)

OnLive approval is a pretty easy process (for an UnrealEngine3 game, of course haven't done it for Unity). OnLive has certification requirements similar to Xbox or Steam where you have to follow all their technical rules. The cool thing about OnLive is that you only have to worry about one set of hardware and they send a video stream down to the client in real-time so you don't have to adjusting the content or shaders per machine class or target the lowest common denominator. I haven't tried out the mobile clients for OnLive yet so I can't speak to how well they perform, but it's a pretty interesting platform, definitely a contender to watch.

17. EnigmaFactory

EnigmaFactory

This is a great project! This will certainly expand the player base of Unity-made games and draw more attention to this excellent engine. Thank you!

18. leegod

leegod

19. seon

seon

@zimmpatrick - Email sent :)

20. leegod

leegod

@zimmpatrick , hey what's going on? why you don't answer?

21. Timmey

Timmey

Does this have steam DRM support??

22. Xienen

Xienen

Sorry for the delayed response, guys; we've been hard at work on the Community Express SDK. leegod, have you gotten a response, yet?

Yes, Timmey, this has full Steam Multiplayer Authentication ready and easy-to-use. Steam's Singleplayer DRM will be much more difficult to implement, but we'll be looking into that in the future.

23. leegod

leegod

Not yet. please reply via email.

24. Xienen

Xienen

I've informed them that you have not yet received a response. It might take them a few days to respond, but I'll stay on top of them until they do.

25. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

I have a question about Unity, Steam and Multiplayer.

Say you want to make a game for Steam and you want to use the above SDK to intergrate it (matchmaking for instance). Can you use Unity Networking, Photon,SmartFox etc or is there some limitation (or maybe a suggestion for which fits better)?

Thanks.

26. renderbox

renderbox

Will this work for the Mac version of Steam?

Thanks,
    RB

27. Xienen

Xienen

koyima: The Community Express SDK does not necessarily tie you to any particular Networking solution, though it does have Steam's Networking protocol available within the SDK(which doesn't necessarily make it any easier to integrate the rest of the SDK). The networking used for Matchmaking is actually entirely controlled through Steam's API and requires no extra networking hookups during integration, you simply get a list of servers and/or an IP to connect to.

renderbox: At this time, it is not set up to work on Mac, but that is in the plans for a future update to the SDK.

28. RGKD

RGKD

Very interested. Will be following the progress closely.

29. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Thanks for the reply. Have you tested the SDK with any of the popular systems (uLink, Photon etc) or even default Unity Networking. If yes which and what was your experience?

I don't need any details. Just for instance something like: "we tested with a game setup with uLink and it was straightforward" something along those lines.

30. Xienen

Xienen

We tested the SDK with Unity's Networking. Implementing the SDK with Unity's Networking was very simple, but because I am a low level programmer, I am not a fan of Unity's high level networking. That being said, I think Unity's networking system is an excellent tool for non-programmers and high level programmers alike.

31. leegod

leegod

hi there, any progress? how things going? and I didn't receive reply email yet. To who must I send question email about steam release help?

32. SimonAlkemade

SimonAlkemade

Is Gaikai support planned?

33. ttank7

ttank7

Look forward to the Onlive support as I want my current project to port over very easily in the future. Onlive is huge and is only growing bigger! :)

34. Xienen

Xienen

Terribly sorry for the lack of response, guys.

Things are progressing. Please e-mail us again at cesdk@communityexpresssdk.com (I handle these e-mails now, so you will definitely get a reply).

That is not presently in the plan, but that does not mean it won't be supported in the future.

Using our SDK, it will be extremely easy to port. We plan to seamlessly handle all of the complex OnLive integration requirements with very few changes needed in the game/engine layer.

35. leegod

leegod

@Xienen
    hi, email sent.

36. Skjalg

Skjalg

37. Meltdown

Meltdown

If I host my own dedicated servers for my game, one in US and one in Europe, using uLink, can I configure the matchmaking to look for these servers? Or do I have to use a specific server hosted by you or Steam?

Thanks

38. Disastercake

Disastercake

For starters I believe this one is free, not $300.

39. Meltdown

Meltdown

This product doesn't even exist nor do the authors reply to your questions.
    So your thread bump was pretty much pointless.

40. thesaint1987

thesaint1987

God, when does the time come where people gonna realize that Singleplayer DRM does not work... End of story. You can try all you want, it won't work by theoretical principle. All important games are cracked...

You want DRM? Go and write a good multiplayer mode...

Further I believe that this is great news ;). Looking forward to try Steam SDK.

41. carletto

carletto

VERY COOL!!!!!

I'm really interested!

Carlo

42. khos85

khos85

Hi, is this still available and how much does it cost? I am not clear on costs involved.

glitchers likes this.
  43. Unreal-Vision

Unreal-Vision