Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Technologies Sale/Options [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cogent, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbryson

dbryson

Really glad to see this. Thanks for responding.

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the clarification :)

I work on a very big long term project and is great to know the status of Unity wont change.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

It is a bit interesting to see how the thread is treated with that tag. People are still posting so far.

Cogent likes this.
  4. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

It does not surprise me but I'm still glad. Very very glad. :)

5. Sslaxx

Sslaxx

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  6. ohbane

ohbane

Good. I guess those rumours were well placed or at least helped the founders to push the price a bit higher.

I hope you guys stay as long as possible on board, simply because 3D Engine business is an industry of its own. My biggest concern would have been that a merger leads to layoffs, to unexpected problems, so I would be forced to abandon long term Unity game projects for a while, if the new owner is inexperienced in 3D.

7. JAKJ

JAKJ

CEO or not, it's still an attention-seeking troll. Leave it alone.

Also, any chucklehead who's done a little paperwork can be a CEO. It's a meaningless term outside of the context of a real incorporation.

Cogent likes this.
  8. Teila

Teila

He certainly is not being very professional. I don't think he is a "troll" but his comments, true or not, didn't impress me.

9. zenGarden

zenGarden

Unity always took care of indies companies and people , and indies people feel at home with Unity. So it's a great news i'm really glad Unity to stay what it is :)

10. jashan

jashan

Full-quote because of awesomeness ;-)

You guys are absolutely awesome! Thank you for sharing this and squashing the rumors with an official statement like this. This is very much appreciated!

I found this posting after being pulled to this article "Unity, one gaming development platform to unite them all, up for sale" by Twitter (there's apparently quite a few people tweeting about this). Maybe your legal team could have a look? In general, I think even the existence of "legal teams" sucks but it's the world we currently live in and in this case, spreading such kinds of rumors should be punishable (I'm not talking about the people tweeting about this but the articles that cause such confusion).

A few quotes from that specific article:

"Now the company is gearing up for a potential sale, having shared presentations with possible acquirers including Google, according to people familiar with the matter. It's also had serious talks with at least one would-be buyer in recent months, they say."

"Whether Unity is actively trying to sell itself isn't clear. Various people tell CNET News that either the company has been courting potential deals or responding to interest from its partners and other companies."

"Unity declined to comment." => maybe in the future, when reporters approach you for comments on such rumors, you could use Joachim's posting as a standard reply. If they asked you for comments and you declined, I guess the legal route is done with.

Well, lesson learned: Stop wasting your time with reading CNET articles ;-)

11. tswalk

tswalk

I'm glad that I was able to find the time to look into that article and show how it is possible that connections lead back to Epic via Tencent.

I'm also glad that Joachim cleared the air about the subject of sale. (no surprise to me, but thankful regardless)

12. jashan

jashan

Would you mind elaborating?

Tencent sounds a little scary too me (Who is Tencent?). Either way the more independent UT remains, the better. Whenever single entities try to own everything, some alarm bell goes off in Earth Control Center ;-)

13. Mauri

Mauri

Unity afaik already has a legal team (*click*), mainly for copyright infringement issues (e.g. pirating Unity Pro).
    I personally don't think that would be an appropriate way as it'll be kind of a censorship. If a news website is writing about such rumors, it's Unity's turn to step up and clear things up - either by doing an Interview or a Press Release.

14. jashan

jashan

I agree that this would be the best approach.

In old media (possibly only in some countries), in addition to that there's what's called "Gegendarstellung" (counterstatement) which basically means that if some newspaper reported something that's not correct, they have to make room for a small article that clears up the error. IMHO, that would be appropriate in this case given that creating the rumor that UT is for sale could have a rather serious impact.

Obviously, if UT was asked for comment and declined (which is what the article says), that opportunity is also lost. Maybe the legal team should speak to the PR team in that case ;-)

In my perspective, publishing an article that says "Unity is up for sale" (implying it's actually Unity Technologies that is for sale) borders on libel and while I don't even know if such a thing exists for corporations (in the absurd reality of legal systems ;-) ), I do think this is quite serious. In a world where corporations like Autodesk or Adobe destroy whole markets with their greed (that's my perspective - I'm sure quite a few people would disagree but there's also quite a few who do agree), integrity in terms of saying "we won't sell out" and really meaning it becomes more and more important from some people's perspective.

There's more and more people becoming aware of these things, so the impact of such rumors increases over time. And keep in mind: Trust is something that's hard to establish and easy to lose. And if there's damage done by spreading rumors, it's perfectly legitimate to make sure that damage is compensated. At least I'd find that much more reasonable than much of the crazy stuff that is being done with copyright and patents (in the abusive form of it).

15. BaddeWolf

BaddeWolf

I agree. The [main stream] media NEVER researches past their agenda and bias. Facts are irrelevant if they can scare you, distract you from something else, or make you believe their version is the honest and factual truth.

16. BaddeWolf

BaddeWolf

Remember too that those plans were vocalized on the internet months in advance of the XBOne launch. It gave plenty of opportunity for customer feedback, mostly all negative to those plans. Not wanting to hurt sales, they had to go back on those plans, after all the PS4 was launching at a point that would have been too uncomfortable for their initial sales.

Now, can we get back on-topic?

EDIT: Okay. I see we got an official answer now that I got through more posts: Not for sale yay!!! \o/

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  17. Nubz

Nubz

You do have a point.
    Can you see Bill Gates posting here if this was ms? lol

That said I am truly glad that Unity is staying in the hands of the people that own it now.

18. JAKJ

JAKJ

I doubt Bill Gates would even be aware of this forum's existence if he owned UT. Even if he gave a crap (which I would not be willing to grant), there would be too much distance between it and him.

19. docsavage

docsavage

This is great news. Thanks for clarifying this UT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.