Search Unity

Unity Tech Blog Posts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aurore, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Master thread for all new tech blog posts.

Watch this thread to get alerts on the forums.

Mixing Sweet Beats in Unity 5

MixerWindow_edited1.jpg

One of the big areas of focus for Unity 5.0 has definitely been in audio. After a quiet period of feature development in this area, we have been working hard at taking audio to a first class feature within Unity. To make this work we first had to take a step back and re-work a […]... Read

rakkarage likes this.
  2. landon912

landon912

Ahh finally! I always seemed to be a month behind on blog posts.

3. Nikola-B

Nikola-B

Sweet!

4. Aurore

Aurore

Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 11.57.31.png

It’s time to tell a little bit more about NSubstitute library that ships with our Unity Test Tools and patterns of it’s effective usage. Each software system consists of units of functionality. In object oriented languages, the minimal unit of functionality is a method. These methods usually depend on other methods... Read more

AnomalusUndrdog likes this.
  5. nipoco

nipoco

That's a good idea to post that here!

I also just realized that you put a link to the blog into the main menu bar above. Great :)

6. Aurore

Aurore

Screen Shot 2014-07-31 at 11.34.58.png

Have you ever looked at some graphics issue in Unity, and thought “if only I could see how the final frame is rendered, step-by-step?”. I know I do want that, all the time. You can achieve that with some external tools, especially if you’re on Windows. Build a standalone player, run it through Visual Studio [&hel... Read more

7. Aurore

Aurore

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 11.43.01.png

Many exciting new features are coming as part of the Unity 5.x release cycle, but we are also making improvements to our existing features and workflows. One of those areas is our level management and scene editing. For various reasons, it is sometimes necessary to divide a game level into multiple scenes in Unity. Thi... Read more

NomadKing likes this.
  8. 3agle

3agle

Is there a blog post on Enlighten coming?
    I believe something was said about it a couple of months ago, just wondered if that is in the works?

shkar-noori likes this.
  9. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

He saying "Skylight" in the video....what is that? a new ambient lighting system?

10. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I think the new PBR shader will utilize some kind of global scene skylight (or a cubemap) for global specular reflections.

11. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

may we have an Enlighten related post in the upcoming weeks?

12. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

This...can we get the progress post for this??

13. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi I am working on the Enlighten integration (a substantial amount of the graphics and core team programmers are contributing) and we are super busy, getting everything ready and stable before we are heading off to Siggraph 14 in Vancouver and Unite in Seattle. We would like to blog about Enlighten but I can't promise the post will be ready before Unite. We hope to start writing the blog post as soon as possible. Lets keep this thread on topic - the cool audio tech in Unity5.

Best Regards,
    Kasper Engelstoft
    Graphics Programmer

shkar-noori, chelnok and NomadKing like this.
  14. Aurore

Aurore

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 14.23.49.png

Unity is excited to announce the public preview of Unity 4.3 for Xbox One. Unity has partnered with Microsoft to offer Unity for Xbox One completely free to all registered ID@Xbox developers with development kits! How can my team get Unity for Xbox One? Unity for Xbox One is available to anyone with an Xbox […]... Read more

shkar-noori likes this.
  15. Aurore

Aurore

Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 17.11.20.png

We are pleased to announce the full support for Windows Phone 8.1 and Universal Windows Applications... Read more

shkar-noori likes this.
  16. Aurore

Aurore

Screen Shot 2014-08-15 at 13.16.19.png

It’s hard to believe, but there’s less than a week left until Unite! We’re very excited to meet so many of you, and we’ll have more developers there than ever before to answer your questions. We have a number of announcements lined up for Unite, and a schedule packed with valuable information, but we’d like [... Read more

17. malosal

malosal

I try to put all the new posts on my blog if you are interested. And in fairness, I post Unreal's blog posts also.

'

18. Aurore

Aurore

19. Aurore

Aurore

20. Aurore

Aurore

Getting started as a contributor to our open-source projects.

Screen Shot 2014-09-16 at 16.02.06.png

Unity and Open-Source Last month at Unite, we announced our Open-Source initiative, where we will be opening the source to various components of Unity (along with other helpful tools and samples) in the future. We announced the presence of the Unity Test Tools project at our new home on BitBucket and since then we... Read more

21. Aurore

Aurore

Global Illumination in Unity 5

Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 10.39.06.png

Unity 5 is receiving a major make-over in terms of graphical fidelity and lighting in particular. Unity has been limited to baked lightmaps since Unity 3.0, but since then a lot of progress has been made in the global illumination field. Now is the time to provide some of that goodness out-of-the box in Unity. One [&h... Read more

ChipMan, Myhijim, inafield and 4 others like this.
  22. ChipMan

ChipMan

I also heard that there will be a better Physics System too!

23. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

what's up with the blog, it's been in maintance like for a couple days?

24. Ostwind

Ostwind

bunch of subdomains got hacked and they pulled em down

25. systemicgames

systemicgames

Ever since getting unity 5 there has been problems galore. I have run into many issues. One of them being the camera not following the player. How am I even supposed to make a game when the most basic features don't work. Unity 5 looks really cool but I think I'll just wait until they have all the kinks worked out.

26. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

Wrong thread?

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

http://unity3d.com/learn sounds like the ticket. As these problems you mention will be there forever, since the problem is you, not Unity, if the camera doesn't follow the player. Means you don't understand it, since the camera is controlled by your own code.

28. goat

goat

I've seen this thread for the 1st time & it would be nice, since Unity can be now used as a sound mixer, to take a music notation program concept, such as MuseScore, integrate that functionality as an add on, and then have a Unity app accept an midi stream whether over USB or via the web, and 'grade' the correctness of someone's playback of a music score.

Just as suggestion, as Unity seems to have an added focus on education now and that is enabling music education to be somewhat easier, well, for midi enabled instruments at least.

29. GeorgeHudson

GeorgeHudson

Ill surely check out the blog :)