Search Unity

Unity Remote 3 - Error while sending message to Editor

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Khesan, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Khesan

Khesan

Hello unity community!
    I'm trying to get my Unity to steam to my iPhone 4, but i keep getting the error: "Error while sending message to Editor" on my iPhone. The editor doesn't tell me anything.
    The error message is only displayed if I entered the correct IP address, otherwise it just hangs at "Waiting for game view. Press 'Play'", so it seems there is some kind of connection between the two devices.

Now to the tricky part. I'm running OSX on a VMWare image from a Windows 7 system. I have the network setting set to "Bridged" which is the only way I get any response at all from the device. I have tried NAT, but nothing happens at all.
    Can anyone help with this rather bizzar setup? :)
    Thank you in advance!

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

check if your firewall allows bonjour. if all is setup right you should not need to enter the IP manually as its found on the same LAN

Generally: get a cheap mac mini to save you headache on osx anomalies, at least if you intend to do realistic iOS development

3. Khesan

Khesan

It seems like it wont work through VM Ware,,, If anyone has a solution to this (besides buying a freaking mac :p), please let me know :)

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

there is none legally
    Want OSX = get mac
    Want iOS development = get mac

Don't want that: target android or WP7 ;)

5. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

First check if your phone is connected to your WiFi. Then you can download Ping Lite app from App store and try to ping your virtual OSX box from your phone. Maybe your virtual network isn't properly bridged to the one, which has WiFi set tup.

6. ChaosGaming

ChaosGaming

Hi,

I get this same message, however I am using a macbook pro. I have checked that both my mac and iPod are configured correctly for the wifi.

7. kevork

kevork

I just got this message using a device and machine that I regularly connect Unity Remote between. Rebooting the device and the machine appears to have "fixed" the problem.

8. kevork

kevork

I get this message on a regular basis, as do others that I work with. Closing the Editor / Unity Remote seems to sometimes fix the problem, but not always. Other times connecting directly by IP seems to work, but again not always. This problem has occurred with multiple different devices connecting to multiple different machines running the editor on multiple different networks. In all cases neither the device nor the machine running the editor has any other network problems.

9. Iamdain

Iamdain

I second Kevork's experience. Multiple devices, iPad / iPot touch / iPhone on two macbook pro's and a mac pro on several networks. If I'm not mistaken it seems that once it stops working on one device it stops on all. In my experience it's had this behaviour since we started using Unity back on Unity iPhone 1.1.

Just had the issue with iPhone 4 and iPad3. The remote app was working yesterday when I left the office / Wifi location but was not when I returned with the devices today. Resetting MBP had no effect, resetting iPad3 fixed the problem for iPad but resetting the iPhone 4 didn't work.

10. Zinger

Zinger

Similar experience to kevork and lamdian. I'm on a Mac and use the Create Network feature to create a wi-fi access point from my Mac. Works great with Unity Remote SOMETIMES. Other times I just can't connect. Either get the "Error while sending message.." error or I get the waiting for Play, but it never connects when I hit Play.

It's a shame that with Unity v4 now out they have done nothing to improve the remote. Makes doing anything sooo painful and honestly almost destroys the value of the product. It's like having a Porche but the key doesn't work and you can't get it fixed.

Update: My solution: forget iPhone remote and use Android remote which you can connect using USB cable. Had to go through some different Android Settings to get it to work, but so far so good. Still, just horrible that iPhone remote connection is bad.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  11. AaronC

AaronC

I'm finding the 3.5.6/Unity Remote 3 relationship is more like a divorce. Using 3.4.2 was much more reliable.

I also dont intend upgrading in the near future either so yea, kinda screwed.

12. zyguliux

zyguliux

just check if your wifi is the same connection.
    and delete old network in vmware and create new one.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  13. Trianna

Trianna

I'm having the exact same problem on a mac book pro, iphone 5S and Unity 4.3. I've used all of these devises once before and it worked fine with the unity remote and now it's not working. My computer phone are properly connected to the same wifi.

A fix that I found (for mac people) was to "create a network" from your computer and connect your iphone to it. It worked for me a couple of times but then eventually stopped working. Rebooting the computer phone worked sometimes.... you just have to play with it i guess. It's quite annoying.