Search Unity

Assets Unity Racing Game Template Development Log

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Stephen_O, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hello Unity forum readers, this thread will be my posting grounds for my racing game development logs. I've been working on racing games with Unity since I started developing with the engine a few years ago, since then I've iterated over my designs and worked to make them more modular and easier to update. Recently I turned my work into a Racing Game Template available on the Unity Asset Store. Here I'll post video updates, screenshots, and other related contents about the personal projects I'm working on as it relates to my original intent of building a racing game. Although my goal is to finish my racing game, I often stop to merge changes into the template so others can use the new features I add as well.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    John3D and RavenOfCode like this.
  2. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

3. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

4. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

5. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

6. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

7. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

8. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

9. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

10. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

11. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

12. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

13. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Looks pretty. But it should be in the WIP or showcase forum

14. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks, I'll move it over to one of those.

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Done.

Stephen_O likes this.
  16. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

17. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

18. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

19. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

20. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

21. dibdab

dibdab

about the rotation issue of the offset: you could simply use a prefab of empty transforms (for the rays' origins)...

the final thing you came up with, looks good.
    the slant rays are a good idea, to detect things between straight rays, probably gonna use it in my aiDriver too, but since the hit distance is not so meaningful as with straight rays, needs a different logic (though it might be simple to integrate anyway).

22. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks, having empty transforms is very similar to what I've done, I think I just manage it a bit differently. I'm using the objects directly for this rig and I can still adjust the transform position/rotation at any time as well as disable them if I need performance boost or are not needed for AI decisions. The manager script for the sensor rig will have the data fed into it and then the AI will reference this data to make more decisions.

The distance is important for me because currently when my AI tries to overtake another car they increase their speed but if unable to get around the car they end up ramming the car they are trying to pass (this also causes the AI to make the car they want to pass fishtail at times), I'll use distance check/angle detection to help make AI not behave like this and hopefully be more competitive.

23. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

24. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

25. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

26. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I forgot to post my last 2 dev logs, 19 was made early in May.. 20 was made this week.

27. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

28. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Dev log #22 Reducing prefab configuration time.

In this update I reduce the time it takes to configure player car prefabs with new car models by automating the wheel settings configuration.

29. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, will the development show continue with more videos to show how updated work goes?

I think this is very good, interesting and useful and like it much this asset

Stephen_O likes this.
  30. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Thanks and that's a good question..

I have lost a bit of focus on these dev log videos, For this project, I'm currently working on a lot of miscellaneous changes that will amount to a major update on the asset, when it's finished I'll likely try to start back up with the videos.

31. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, good to know and good news that you are working on additional things for a major update, woud be good to know if possible what things you want make, change or add, if you want and can.

Do you have any rough idea when this major update will be finished and available? Maybe one month? Or two months or later?

Thanks

32. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

A few areas of improvements are as follows:
    • Adding a few new features to the project editor window, this process is always on-going
    • Adding custom car paint shader
    • Redesigned Garage UI
    • Redesigned Garage environment
    • Standardize scale throughout the project, currently vehicle scale is 1.5
    • Redesign demo tracks to new scale
    • New video tutorials
    I have a feeling it will be about 2 months or less to finish, I put a lot on my plate but this will help refresh the project as a lot of features have been added over the past year. There's also a lot of other stuff floating around in my head that I'm working toward.

33. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I made a new dev log to demo manual shifting and improved AI obstacle avoidance for the upcoming 1.069. Don't mind the driver's steering, I think I turned off steering smoothing..

JamesArndt likes this.
  34. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

This is the newly updated game-play demo for the template, I also finally figured out how to make a nice smooth 60 fps video.

I also realized I forgot to post one of the dev logs from the end of September, here's # 23 when I tested EVP as replacement physics with a UNet open world game.

35. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

There won't be anymore work on the Racing Game Template project, it's done. I learned so much in the process of building, iterating on previous version features, adding new features and most importantly design decisions that impact the way a project can be used or updates can be applied. As a farewell to the project, I prepared a video collage of dev log and demo videos.

RGT 2.0 is in development and going well, it will be a FREE UPGRADE from the current version which has a reduced price until 2.0 is released. More details about the new project will be released soon. I'll likely start a new dev log introducing it if that's something people are interested in.

36. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I've prepared the first dev log for 2.0, since it's all still racing development, I'll continue to use this wip forum for posting updates to the new project.

37. CoderPro

CoderPro

Physics still not realistic. I think you should focus to race manager instead of car physics.

Stephen_O likes this.
  38. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Hey coderpro, I responded to your similar comment about my car physics in another forum thread, not sure if you saw it. I do plan on improving car physics, also going to support other physics packages such as edys and rcc so there will be plenty of options. The race manager has already been overhauled to support more race types, I just need the environment to create races in, which is why I'm building it, this environment supports all the features I'm adding :). Like I said in the video, once I finish the the environment and AI, I can resume work there and begin bug testing, adding new features and getting ready for a release.

JamesArndt likes this.
  39. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

What technique did you use to implement the camera "head" physics inside the car cockpit, i.e. the camera bumps, swaying, etc?

Stephen_O likes this.
  40. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

I attached the camera to the avatar's head, it uses IK look at target with the target projected in front of the driver, then I lerp the target from the default look position to a max left or a max right position based on steering input. The bumps are produced from rigidbody and configurable joint components on the avatar.

41. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

Progress update.

42. Stephen_O

Stephen_O

New dev log showing some environment updates.