Search Unity

Unity Producing Compressed Icons

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by BrainAndBrain, Sep 24, 2016.

1. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

Hi all,

I recently noticed that Unity compresses my game's icon files, resulting in soft/blurry icons for the final application. This happens on all platforms. Below is an example, with Unity's version on the right:

Both icons 192x192, but the one on the right (extracted from a Unity-built .apk) is clearly softer. This is really noticeable in iOS and Mac builds as well.

For iOS and Mac, I manually replace the icons in the Xcode project and .app bundle. However, for the .apk this is more difficult, and I have no clue how to replace the Windows icons.

I imagine that this is the result of Unity compressing my original .png files. Here are the texture compression settings I'm using:

Is there a problem with the above settings? Or is there a workaround that prevents Unity from compressing my icons as textures, while still allowing me to assign them in Player Settings? I really don't want to ship the Windows and Android versions of my game with low-quality icons.

Thanks for the help!

- David

2. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

I spent a number of hours working on this yesterday, and found no better settings to use. My plan had been to do it the hard way and unzip the APK, replace the icons, recompress and re-sign, but the re-signed APK wouldn't install on my device.

So I'm still stuck with blurred icons on Android and Windows.