Search Unity

Unity native button support for multitouch?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by udik, Jan 28, 2015.

1. udik

udik

Hi guys,

Is there any way to make native Unity buttons play nice and not cancel each other when being pressed simultaneously on Android? I know I can use Texture and touch events but will be much easier to simply use native Unity buttons..

Thanks!
    Udi

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

What do you mean by "native Unity button"? Do you mean GUI.Button(...) in OnGUI()? If so then, no, because that's not a multi-touch system, it only emulates mouse input by averaging all touches. You could write your own button function with multi-touch support, of course.

3. udik

udik

Yup both - you can only call GUI.Button from within OnGUI() function.. anyway GUI.Button works fine on mobile devices (I am testing on Android) so it does respond to touch events. I think the GUI.Button is just a glorified GUITexture under the covers, and GUITexture does support multutouch so I don't understand why Unity does not allow this. Thanks!

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

GUI.Button does indeed work on mobile devices and respond to touch, but as I said it's touch input treated as emulated mouse input. Mouse input only has one pointer, so when there are multiple pointers (ie: more than one touch) it averages them all out.

If you mean GUITexture as in the thing you can attach to a GameObject, that's quite different. If you mean as in GUI.DrawTexture (which is what I'd use to roll my own multi-touch button) then that has nothing to do with touch, input or picking, it just draws a texture and it's up to other code to do anything else.