Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Linux Won't Start

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Vessai, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Vessai

Vessai

I am trying to install the unity beta on my hp compaq 6910p (in case that's helpful) running the most recent version of tahrpup. However, after the install of 5.3.5f1 completes, the menu link to unity does not seem to do anything. I tried finding the executable and running it manually, but to no avail. I'm not 100% sure, but from what I can tell, it doesn't seem to start any processes at all, or if it does they last for a very short time.

I understand that there is relatively little information here, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to try to diagnose or understand the problem, or if not whether there is a build that works reasonably well on tahrpup.

I won't be able to check here again for just over 12 hours, as it's getting late here, but I'll try anything that's suggested when I get back.

Thanks

2. Odd-Redesign

Odd-Redesign

My Unity3D doesn't start either. It shows the splash screen for 5 seconds and closes. Both in 5.3.5f1 and 5.4.0b23. It was working yesterday.

Probably due to this NPM error (~/.config/unity3d/Editor.log):

Code (CSharp):
    1. npm ERR! invalid: unity-editor-home@0.1.28 /home/user/.local/share/unity3d/Packages/node_modules/unity-editor-home
    2. npm ERR! extraneous: unityeditor-collab-history@0.0.27 /home/user/.local/share/unity3d/Packages/node_modules/unityeditor-collab-history
    3. npm ERR! extraneous: unityeditor-collab-toolbar@0.0.44 /home/user/.local/share/unity3d/Packages/node_modules/unityeditor-collab-toolbar
    4. npm ERR! not ok code 0
    5. ListPackages failed, output: {
    6.   "name": "unity-editor",
    7.   "version": "5.3.0",
    8.   "problems": [
    9.     "invalid: unity-editor-home@0.1.28 /home/user/.local/share/unity3d/Packages/node_modules/unity-editor-home",
    10.     "extraneous: unityeditor-collab-history@0.0.27 /home/user/.local/share/unity3d/Packages/node_modules/unityeditor-collab-history",
    11.     "extraneous: unityeditor-collab-toolbar@0.0.44 /home/user/.local/share/unity3d/Packages/node_modules/unityeditor-collab-toolbar"
    12.   ],
    13.   "dependencies": {
    14.     "unity-editor-home": {
    15.       "version": "0.1.28",
    16.       "from": "unity-editor-home.0.1.28.tgz",
    17.       "resolved": "unity-editor-home.0.1.28.tgz",
    18.       "invalid": true,
    19.       "problems": [
    20.         "invalid: unity-editor-home@0.1.28 /home/user/.local/share/unity3d/Packages/node_modules/unity-editor-home"
    21.       ]
    22.     },
    23.     "unityeditor-cloud-hub": {
    24.       "version": "0.0.13",
    25.       "from": "unityeditor-cloud-hub.0.0.13.tgz",
    26.       "resolved": "unityeditor-cloud-hub.0.0.13.tgz"
    27.     },
    28.     "unityeditor-collab-history": {
    29.       "version": "0.0.27",
    30.       "extraneous": true,
    31.       "problems": [
    32.         "extraneous: unityeditor-collab-history@0.0.27 /home/user/.local/share/unity3d/Packages/node_modules/unityeditor-collab-history"
    33.       ],
    34.       "from": "unityeditor-collab-history-0.0.27.tgz",
    35.       "resolved": "unityeditor-collab-history-0.0.27.tgz"
    36.     },
    37.     "unityeditor-collab-toolbar": {
    38.       "version": "0.0.44",
    39.       "extraneous": true,
    40.       "problems": [
    41.         "extraneous: unityeditor-collab-toolbar@0.0.44 /home/user/.local/share/unity3d/Packages/node_modules/unityeditor-collab-toolbar"
    42.       ],
    43.       "from": "unityeditor-collab-toolbar.0.0.44.tgz",
    44.       "resolved": "unityeditor-collab-toolbar.0.0.44.tgz"
    45.     }
    46.   }
    47. }
    49. npm WARN package.json unity-editor@5.3.0 No repository field.
    50. npm WARN package.json unity-editor@5.3.0 No README data
    51. npm WARN package.json unity-editor-home@0.1.28 No repository field.

3. Odd-Redesign

Odd-Redesign

I emptied the folders in .config, .cache and .local/share and still unity3d produces the same error.

Are the npm packages offline?

4. Vessai

Vessai

Hmm, I'm not sure, it looks as though maybe something has gone wrong with the editor files during install or something to that effect, although that's only a guess. I fixed my issue by loading the editor through a terminal window and it returning an error stating that there were missing dependencies. It might be worth trying this in your case, but based on my guess, a reinstall might be your best option.

EDIT: Some quick googling yielded this as a possible fix: https://z3ntu.github.io/2015/12/18/fixing-unity-5.3-startup-error-linux.html
    Not sure if it's what you want or if you've already tried it, but it seems to be the remedy for people with a similar issue to yours.

5. biscuitseed

biscuitseed

Exact same problem here. I tried it on tahrpup and slacko. Tahrpup is based on Slackware, but has Ubuntu packages, correct? If so that might be the problem. What's weird is it installs correctly and everything, even a menu shortcut, but nothing happens when I try to run it.

I also tried to install it in Wine but that just gave a black screen and then a crash. Seems Puppy isn't fit to use the Unity editor. (that's not what puppy is made for, really, anyway)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016