Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity License Return Issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dhivakar, Apr 25, 2015.

1. dhivakar

dhivakar

Hi i am trying to return my license from one computer to use it in other machine. But when i try that i am getting the following error message "serial was activated manually for this computer and can't be returned. Please try again later or contact support@unity.com"

please help me out.

2. Ostwind

Ostwind

Well contact support?

if you have some special limited license (like some student edition(?)) you cant use the feature.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yep, please contact support. Forum isn't for this.

4. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

I'm getting this issue as well, I've tried to contact support several times over the last few weeks, and have not heard back yet.

Would appreciate any recommendations.

One of my old PC's died - can't return it. And my other PC the Confirm button is grayed out

5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I don't think I've ever waited more than 24 hours for a response on a license related issue. Are you sure you're contacting the correct address?

6. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

It's the webform on their website and I received email confirmations on the submission both times.

I'd say I'm sure in-so-far as I trust their webdev. Which is to say I'm about 50/50 :D

7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Ahh, I always emailed (I think) support@unity3d.com.

For future reference, you may have been better off making your own thread rather than "necro"ing one that hasn't seen any action for a year.

Kiwasi likes this.
  8. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm aware of the email address and tried it a while ago too, they have a webform specifically for dealing with manual activations on the support page though.

Regarding your statement towards it being a year old post and me being worse for replying to it, I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you and I believe that mentality is fundamentally flawed on user forums.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    Martin_H likes this.
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, but that's just another step that can go wrong.

Reviving a discussion with a relevant post to continue the subject isn't frowned on here. That's not what @angrypenguin was referring to though. He was referring more to the idea that some people will simply glance at the difference in post dates and close the thread. I don't know how common that is but from what I've seen new threads get more responses.

10. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

Yes, that's what I suggested a few posts prior.

[snip] I disagree and will just summarize it as: creating a new thread to repeat all of this information would have served no purpose.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Forums have always been about having conversations. Reviving an old thread to continue a conversation brings with it both advantages and disadvantages. By reviving it you're keeping the information centralized but at the same time the information may not be completely relevant to the latest discussion and the people who are trying to find relevant information may have to sort through page upon page of outdated comments.

angrypenguin likes this.
  12. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

In my opinion, its back and forth discussions like this that are the real problem regarding populated comments. I'm not trying to pick an argument, but I think we could have pruned the last 6 posts :p

13. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I in fact entirely agree with the principle that reviving old threads isn't necessarily a bad thing. As Ryiah says, that's not why I mentioned it. I agree that "never revive an old thread" is flawed. I also think that "never start a new thread" is flawed. The ideal is somewhere in the middle, and with the culture here (ie: help threads tend to get more answers if they're newer) I simply think your request may have got more attention if you'd started a new thread - "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" and all that.

The comment was intended pragmatically only, not as a commentary on social philosophy.

Spot on. As such I've never been personally adverse to either continuing and old discussion if it's still relevant, or starting a new discussion on a previously discussed topic. As you say, both have their pros and cons.

So why are we having one?

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  14. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

Because, angrypenguin, people keep replying to the thread with quotes and asking questions ;)