Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Jump Start - Video Tutorials

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by TheLorax, Jul 19, 2009.

1. jaysonm009

jaysonm009

whoa !! Thank you for posting those Videos. It gives more info about Unity. ^^--

keep up the great work and have a great day. haha.

I want to be one of the best unity programmers although I'm just a beginner. Thanks !

2. hsaoud

hsaoud

Very good and straightforward tutorial. I've learned basic concepts in a few minutes.

Thanks man!

3. MichaelEngstler

MichaelEngstler

Hey,
    Just want you to know I registered specially to this forum to say personally thank you.
    So keep on with the good work, and as I sayed before THANKS ALOT for all the effort :)

4. Sergio Awoke

Sergio Awoke

I signed up just to say: THANK YOU A LOT!

5. qholmes

qholmes

Thank you so much... Just what i was looking for!!

6. fixelzero

fixelzero

thank you so much for the tutorial!!!

7. St0rM

St0rM

Thanks for the very well done tutorial, it was exactly what I needed.

Great work ! :)

8. errorlog2

errorlog2

Sir I know this is a noobish question But Is this the thread where can i learn how to create games in unity3D?

I dont know Any Programming languages but im eager to learn C# or anything just to create a Game

9. onllm

onllm

thx bro

10. Phyxius

Phyxius

I had to create an account just to thank you
    great work!

11. TruSeeker

TruSeeker

Great work! Thanks for devoting the time to creating this, it's easy for beginners and helped me understand some javascript or Unityscript as I hear others calling it. Warms me up to learn more programming. Thanks!

ps. Your right, their were some weird noises in the background. At times your travels sound like a survival shooter. lol

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  12. erickmain

erickmain

I signed up just to say thanks! You have given me a foundation that was SO helpful! I was lost till I watched and followed along.

13. kronos

kronos

I bet his PC crashes a lot, he was saving like every 3 seconds lol :D.
    Anyway, nice tutorial and thanks for putting the time.

14. Second Chance

Second Chance

A really, truly amazing set of videos! You managed to pack so much useful, clear, information into such a short amount of time. I don't think I've ever learned so much from so little. This style of video presentation clearly suits you. My thanks for providing them.

15. Grady Lorenzo

Grady Lorenzo

*bookmarks* my interns on the school team will love this, and I likely will learn some things as well. Great job!

16. m3dceo

m3dceo

Gr8 set of tutorials. Just what the doctor ordered.

17. MrRudak

MrRudak

HMMM good indeed THnks

18. nekete

nekete

Thanks for the tutorials :)

19. kenzie

kenzie

Awesome work!Do you have more?

20. jtread66

jtread66

I've been programming since 1982, am moderately experienced in C++
    and have some experience in game programming.

I was really impressed by your 'basic' tutorial, and I think it is much
    better than you think. I believe it would help pretty much everybody
    who sees it who is trying to figure out Unity. It was a surprise to hear
    that you aren't sure if what you've done is helpful. Your work is very
    good, very detailed and concise. Very good job.

I would be interested in a next step in which you replace the basic
    figures in the 'game' with meshes. If you'd gone on and done that,
    the whole tutorial would have gone beyond beginning level and
    been helpful to people who are on a more intermediate level like
    I am. In any case, know that people are looking at what you did here.
    You need to know that your work is greatly appreciated!

I also would be interested in one more tutorial step in which
    you discuss moving in the z-axis, maybe using the same game you
    developed. I'm not sure how you'd do that, but I know from personal
    experience that the 3d universe, in code, isn't all that easy.

I am not a newbie; I have quite a bit of experience in
    general programming. And I really liked your tutorial, one of the
    best I've ever seen. Thanks.

- Tom Read
    www.aikibojitsu.com

21. Daimyo314

Daimyo314

This is extremely helpful and a great approach to teaching Unity. Well done sir, well done.

I had to figure out a few knick-knacks using a new version of Unity, but hey, time does that kinda thing right?

22. Shuddhashil

Shuddhashil

Hey folks I am completely new to Unity and since past two weeks I have been learning Unity.
    I viewed this tutorial and its just great. :):D

I made few new features in that project from the point where he left. :razz:

Recorded Playing : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQkROd-qljw

Feature Added :

1. Player can not just move in Right and Left but also Up and Down
    2. Player is now bounded in the X-Y axis frame which was missing in the tutorials.
    3. Instead of single enemy dropping in the Screen I have made multiple Spawning of Enemies at random, this adds much more fun to shoot.
    4. Alongside unlimited bullets I have added 'Drop Box of Rocket'
    5. Single Rocket Shoot would destroy all enemy bots on screen.
    6. New Scores and Background Theme and Music.

See the recording of my playing of this version of the level I made : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQkROd-qljw

Download the work I have made till now here : CHECK BELOW :D:D

Please feel free to check my project. I am very new to Unity and this has been my two weeks work. I will continue to develop this project to a full blown 50 level game in the coming month and may be create a video tutorial for the same. Pardon me folks, I am not so good with Textures and Models so I have kept them as basic structures. I am more of a Programmer and Scripter. Feel free to edit the codes, use it for your learning and development, I am sure you
    will substitute some great models and textures. Once again I thank TheLorax for creating the tutorials. :):D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  23. shader

shader

Nice !

Thanks

24. Shuddhashil

Shuddhashil

I am currently working on developing some more levels and by the end of next week I am targeting 10 levels with more features, drop box, weapons, enemy bots intelligence. I would keep uploading my codes so that everyone can have it and develop from it:D

25. Shuddhashil

Shuddhashil

Space Shooter 2D - Under Development
    1. For now I have 10 levels, which sooner I intend to make 25 Levels divided in 5 episodes each.
    2. The 10 levels I have developed till now has some cool effects, enemies, hardness (i must say), weapons, sounds and textures.
    3. Consider this my first game so you can expect a lot more to come in the coming month when I completely develop the game.

:) :)
    ** I wanted to upload the development till now, for playing and beta testing. Please feel free to play the game and suggest me some stuffs I can do.

:D
    ** Catch the recorded playing of my game in Youtube : (sorry for the bad FPS while recording, used Microsoft Expression Encoder to record)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLAFCJ3ERSs

:D
    ** Download the Game files for playing from Attachments below

:cool: :cool:
    (( Finally I intend to add more enemies for each different level, with cool weapons and more effects. My plan is to make a Space Defender who journeys through 5 planets (episodes) protecting them from alien invasion. Each Planet has 5 levels of gaming and one ultimate level where the Space Shooter fights with the Master Alien. So this is the plan. Under development. ))

Hope you like these beta version of playing in my development 10 levels of Space Shooter :) :)

Attached Files:

26. hana

hana

Hello,

The links are broken. Can u please look into it.

Thanks.

27. Shuddhashil

Shuddhashil

Hey Hana please look into the Attachments section, the file to be downloaded is given there. And I am soon going to upload a major update on this one, so if you can kindly wait for few days you will get a completely new update of the game

28. Shuddhashil

Shuddhashil

Since my last update on the Space Shooter 2D Game I am making , I have added more - Now Enemies(green ogre) throw rotating hammers at player!! On destroying enemies the player can collect gems,which leads to gain in life.Added new GUI Icons and effects.:smile:

Til now I have Two Episodes in the game with 6 levels each. Planning to make it 9 Episodes soon.

29. hana

hana

Hi Shuddhashil ,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have no problem in downloading your files. Great work you have done !!

Its the main Space Invader2D tutorial video links that i am unable to open.

Thanks again !

30. FruitLOOP

FruitLOOP

Your Tut is the best available.......

I have a functioning game..with assets, workin fron your tut.

Do more as you are a Great teacher.

Other tuts have given an insite of part games....Yours is a working tut to be built upon.

Cannnot thank you enough.

plz....more

31. AQUEOUSI

AQUEOUSI

none of the links work for me QQ

32. lemc

lemc

TheLorax tutorials are perfect for me- an absolute beginner.

Thank you so much, and I wish there were more. You're a great teacher.

If I could add one more thing to this series, it would be showing how to export and upload the game to a website.

Again, this was great. I wish there was more!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  33. Gnaws

Gnaws

Most excellent, Brother! Thank you SO much for taking all the time to assemble these!!!

34. fleezy

fleezy

Hey Lorax, quick thank you for providing a thorough intro to unity scripting. I loved the pacing and the problem solving that went on during the videos. You make quite an excellent teacher.

Just know that if you were ever to make more, I for one would be willing to pay for such quality tutorials. Thanks again! Cheers!

35. JDawson25

JDawson25

i think you just saved me about 72 hours of wasting time trying to learn this hahaha thanks soooo much:)

36. Intrawebs

Intrawebs

This has been fantastic! Great job, Im in the last vid now. Just a tip to others, where you repeat the code to reset the enemy position you could put that code in a function called "Reset" within enemyScript and then call it from other scripts like below....

//call this from other scripts....
    otherScript = otherObject.gameObject.GetComponent(enemyScript);
    otherScript.Reset();

//make your enemyScript have the following...
    var resetPosition: boolean;
    function Update () {

if (resetPosition) {
    this.transform.position.y = 6.6;
    this.transform.position.x = Random.Range(-6,6);
    resetPosition = false;
    }
    }

function Reset() {
    resetPosition = true;
    }

37. cyberpunkdreams

cyberpunkdreams

Hi there,

I'm a coder but completely new to Unity (or any 3D game environment). I've just watched your original tutorials and really wanted to thank you! You've made something that seemed impenetrable seem very accessible. Thanks!

Rob

38. Mark_GameProgWannabe

Mark_GameProgWannabe

I just finished and was able to struggle through using C# (to help me learn--I know Busby has it as a C# tut but I liked gettin' it on my own). Is there any news or target date for the next in the series as discussed in the last video? The info filled in a few knowledge gaps for me - I thought it was terrific and am really looking forward to more! You've got a great way of explaining just enough to get the concept but still moving at a good pace. Many thanks!

39. Alone_walk

Alone_walk

i can't play it

40. ErikB

ErikB

Thanks for the tutorials, real helpful for beginners.

I noticed your script auto completion/code suggestions seemed to work better than it does here. I've tried both the included script editor UniSciTE and MonoDevelop, but it's not as good. I do get some suggestions. But when you wrote "GUI.Label(Rect(" you had highlighting for attributes like float left, float top, etc. Very handy. Anyone know what I can do to get this?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  41. gallenwolf

gallenwolf

Thank you for setting up this set of tutorials, they gave me a far better overview than the official tutorials. Two thumbs up!

42. Robobobo84

Robobobo84

I had no idea how to do anything in Unity and had minimal knowledge in coding. The other tutorials I found before hand seemed to rush ahead assuming you had moderate knowledge in coding. Your tutorial is clear and covers all aspects of a professional tutorial. Thank you!

43. mujee

mujee

you are great

44. saim

saim

The tutorials are great! You speech is perfect - even with my poor english, I was able to understand it all - and your methods for teaching have a smooth learning curve.
    But I still have some doubts I'd like to solve. I would make them here, but that would kidnap your topic, so I decided to add a new post, on other section of the forum - here. If you have the time, please take a look at the topic. The questions are rather simple (or so it seems to me).

Thanks for posting this!

45. 24adithya

24adithya

Hey Lorax ..Thanks a lot for the tutorial ! Saved a lot of time. Hey, i was trying to shoot the bullet in both x and y axes at the same time..like a parabolic movement. I am not able to figure that out ! ..Is there a way to do that ?

46. my40789

my40789

Your tutorial is very awesome! Thank you so much, I hope can see more video like those in the near future~

47. capcom

capcom

Can't wait to try this!! I just love the Internet. Everyone is so generous and selfless when it comes to helping people out - it's really nice.

Curious to know, however, if the second part to this tutorial was ever made? Thanks so much!

48. Upuaut

Upuaut

Hello
    I´m absolutely new to Unity and wanted to try out your tutorials. So, I downloaded and installed Unity and started it. I also started your first video and there was the first difference. In the scene window I don´t have the grid you have. Now, I tried to figure it out to activate the grid myself but wasn´t able to find any informition using google, the manual or a hotkey-list for unity. How do I activate the grid? Thanks in advance.

Best regards.
    Upuaut

49. capcom

capcom

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but if you are talking about the grid in the scene view, then click this little button (I highlighted it in the little yellow circle):

I hope that helps.

50. Upuaut

Upuaut

Indeed, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.