Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity is not responding when compiling scripts

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by benzuk, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benzuk

benzuk

Hello, I have project from Unity 4 (Now he is on 5.3.1 version). In Unity 5.3.1, After when I am editing some scripts, Unity is auto compiling the scripts and there stuck during compilation. I have to close Unity always from Task Manager.

Any idea? In other projects Unity works perfectly.

Editor log:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  2. benzuk

benzuk

I sent bug report (case 755647). Please help me, I can't continue to work on my project.

3. Dantus

Dantus

Did you check whether the automatic api updater dialog opens up and hides behind the Unity window?

4. benzuk

benzuk

I see that I got a lot of warnings about "Application.LoadLevel, etc.." that they obsolete in current version. I solved the warnings, now It looks like no more stuck during scripts compiling. But, when I press on Play button sometimes the editor stuck again.

Thank you.

5. benzuk

benzuk

Up. Unity again crashes always. I'm disappointed from the engine, Especially from the support that I can't get him from this Company (Perhaps only for who bought license for 1500$).

6. Dantus

Dantus

If Unity crashes, there are often unusual messages in the editor log. Did you see anything like that?

7. benzuk

benzuk

Not exactly crashes, It only stuck and doesn't responding. In the end of the editor.log I see:

8. benzuk

benzuk

9. benzuk

benzuk

10. Dantus

Dantus

How does the new editor log look now as you have resolved all the obsolete warnings?

Edit: Did you check the PlayerController class at line 125? This one is being executed like crazy.

11. benzuk

benzuk

I'll give you the editor log. Also unity crashes when I press on Play button in the editor.
    About line 125, I was using there UsedImplicitly attribute of the Resharper. I removed this attribute on all scripts and nothing has changed.

12. Dantus

Dantus

There seems to be something with the ChatLobby script too... Do you have any other message in the console?

13. benzuk

benzuk

Yes, I have two warnings:
    ChatLobby script: http://pastebin.com/FxhjhTGX

Thank you for the quick replies.

14. Dantus

Dantus

You are using Photon, did you check whether there is a newer version for it? Maybe a version that is ready for Unity 5 for sure?

15. derp_bot

derp_bot

I am experiencing the same issue, except I cant even open the project. The Unity process runs, I can see it in the task manager, and I get logs, but the application window never opens because it is stuck compiling.
    The Editor log ends in the same entry as above:

Reloading assemblies after successful script compilation.
    Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly

I can provide the editor logs if it will help.

EDIT: forgot to mention, this happens on 5.3.1f1, 5.3.1.p1 and also 5.2.3p3, though 5.3.0f1 works fine.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  16. benzuk

benzuk

I'm using the latest version of Photon (1.65v). I'm don't think that is problem with Photon because I'm using also this version in other projects.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  17. benzuk

benzuk

Up. I'm very disappointed from Unity engine because it has a lot of bugs. Especially this bug that prevent from me to continue working with Unity.

18. Dantus

Dantus

Do you use this version of Photon in the same version of Unity?
    Did you try to just play with an empty scene?

To me, it seems that you have to step by step isolate the issue in this project. There are quite a few things that can produce this kind of problem. Plugins or editor scripts can easily produce this kind of problem and make it really hard to spot them.

benzuk likes this.
  19. benzuk

benzuk

Yeah! I created a new scene, and there are no problems. How can I fix the current scenes?
    Thank you very much!

20. Dantus

Dantus

That's really hard to say. You may try to create a copy of the scene, deactivate all the game object and check whether it works. If it does, activate them step by step and find out which one is causing issue.

benzuk likes this.
  21. benzuk

benzuk

Thank you! The problem was with the water on the scene (the WaterProDaytime prefab in the Standard Assets of Unity).

Happy new year!

22. benzuk

benzuk

23. cg_han-squirrel

cg_han-squirrel

hey, we have the same problem with Unity5.3.1, do you have any final solution?

24. benzuk

benzuk

Unfortunately, no.

25. derp_bot

derp_bot

It appears that anti virus software is causing the compiler to hang, at least it is for me.
    I uninstalled Avast, and everything now works fine.
    If I was to have a guess, Avast was blocking Unity from opening the shader compiler, which is an external process. Unity was just hanging, waiting for a response.
    Thats a wild guess though.
    Hope this helps some one.

26. benzuk

benzuk

The game crashes also not just in editor.

27. Dantus

Dantus

Since it works in empty scenes, the issues is very likely in your project and not in Unity.

28. Dantus

Dantus

29. benzuk

benzuk

So because of what it could be caused? My project was working fine in Unity 4.6, I have a small project and simple.
    Also, The game crash only when I press the exit button (not in the editor).
    However, those issues are not happening only for me.

I have never seen these errors. Also strange behaviour of the scenes isn't happening during Play mode.

30. Dantus

Dantus

Details like it only crashes when you hit the exit button are kind of important. Which exit button do you mean? Which scripts are used when this button is pressed?

Yes that's true. When you upgrade an Unreal engine project between major upgrades, you are having issues as well. That's not related to Unity, that's because it is a major update and it requires you to resolve the issues!

31. benzuk

benzuk

I don't know which scripts activated when this button pressed. I don't have OnApplicationQuit function in scripts.

32. Dantus

Dantus

When you mix standalone and editor issues all the time, it is not possible to help you.

Mycroft likes this.
  33. benzuk

benzuk

I do not mix, I just told about the crashes in the standalone.
    What could cause a unity not respond during the compile script in my particular scene? I do not have anything special there, just simple scripts.

34. Dantus

Dantus

Let's start from scratch than. What exactly happens? It seems that you don't understand what script compilation is. Because script compilation is independent of the scene.

35. muttahirmumtaz

muttahirmumtaz

I am also facing the same issue.

Steps of reproduction:
    1. Install any version in Unity 5.x
    2. Create a Project
    3. Create a script

Result:
    The auto compilation starts and keeps on compiling for forever.
    On force quitting Unity and starting it again, while opening that same project, the engine hangs on "Compiling Scripts" and does not move further.

I am using macbook retina mgx72

Previously I was using the cracked version of Unity 4.7.0. All the version of 4.x are still working fine and i had to downgrade it back to 4.7.0

36. Dantus

Dantus

It is a really bright decision to post in the Unity forums that you have been using a cracked version.

Ryiah and LaireonGames like this.
  37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah just banned him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.