Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Interface Size (the program that creates the games, not the game I am making)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by churf, Oct 8, 2012.

1. churf

churf

So I want to get started with Unity but at 1680x1050 the interface is way too small. I am not seeing anything in the preferences for making the interface larger. Searching on here returns a lot of in-game interface stuff. I am asking about Unity's interface, not the game I plan to make with Unity. Thank you so much for helping and of course for making Unity available for me to use!

2. dval

dval

I am also looking for this information.

Any chance there is a formal feature request area, to ask the devs for such a feature?

3. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I run Unity at 1920x1080 and I can clearly see everything...

4. DougMcFarlane

DougMcFarlane

You could always adjust your screen's DPI setting, in the control panel (for PC, not sure about MAC).
    However this adjusts your display for every program, but enlarges / reduces everything by a certain percentage.

It would be nice I suppose for Unity to have a 'Scale' setting that adjusts the fonts and controls inside Unity by a factor, but not sure how many people would need this.

5. churf

churf

My eyes would greatly appreciate a means of enlarging the 8 pt font or whatever ridiculous size it is. I'll try changing dpi but in Windows 7 all it has is the "make text and other items larger" presets that have zero effect on the unity interface. I'm assuming that does the same as the dpi settings did in XP but I am a little suspicious because whenever I adjust it my "window color" settings (icon spacing, title/tooltip font sizes) are reset to defaults. Maybe ati control panel has a dpi setting I can adjust. Also I now have 1920x1080 screen at 23" so eye strain is probably worse than before.

I'm happy for you. Would you like a cookie?

6. Jaimi

Jaimi

7. churf

churf

Haha yeah I might just do that

8. Sothoth

Sothoth

Yes, PLEASE, I absolutely need an option for scaling the fonts inside Unity. The current font size is totally ridiculous and my eyes become strained after a bit of work. Changing the Windows DPI has no effect. Disabling "XP Style DPI Scaling" actually changes the font size, but the text renders blurry, which it's even worse. Any clue, please?

9. PolyMad

PolyMad

Unluckily not everybody is young and somebody have problems with eyes.
    In example I am 43 and I work on a 42" tv. I couldn't bear anymore working on a 22" monitor, my eyes simply get tired in no time.

My suggestion is to increase the Windows font size. I don't know if this affects the Unity interface but it's worth a try maybe.
    Also because, I guess your Windows OS is in the same condition, with very small characters, so you could have a good outcome also there.

10. Sothoth

Sothoth

To be concise:

Changing DPI settings in Windows control panel effectively changes the overall font size (desktop, etc.), however:

1. With "XP Style DPI Scaling" setting checked, Unity's font size is not affected and remains with the tiny fonts.
    2. With "XP Style DPI Scaling" setting unchecked, fonts in Unity renders bigger BUT blurry, which is even worse for readability.

As far I can see, it seems to be a bug in the DPI-awareness of Unity.

Edit: An interesting reading about this annoying issue: http://www.kynosarges.org/WindowsDpi.html

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  11. Sothoth

Sothoth

After a bit of experimentation, I've solved it using this method (tested on Windows 7, unsure on W8 or XP):

Step #0: Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Display -> Set custom text size (DPI), scale up to 125%, and uncheck "Use Windows XP Style DPI Scaling". Reboot or close session and login again. This step is only needed to do once.

Every time you need to open Unity, do:

Step #1: Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Performance Settings -> Visual Effects and uncheck "Smooth edges of screen fonts". Click on Apply.

Step #2: Open Unity.

Step #3. Undo the Step #1 (check "Smooth edges of screen fonts" and click on Apply).

If any application shows blurry, you can right-click on its icon, select "Compatibility" tab and check “Disable display scaling on high DPI settings”. This only works for 32bit apps. See http://www.kynosarges.org/WindowsDpi.html for more info.

Good luck!

tatakub959 likes this.
  12. Akira_san

Akira_san

I hope they add a panel font size in the next versions... Not to mention the small unity preferences panel. :)

13. robinitaly

robinitaly

Thanks for the info Sothoth. The problem is that guys working in Unity Technologies have perfect eye sight and don't care about us near sighted folks

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  14. dkstrong

dkstrong

also on 1920x1080... cant really see anything. especially the lock icon or that squiggle next to it.

it also doesnt help, that theres like no contrast in the interface. everything is just different levels of grey.

The funny thing is i actually have a dual monitor setup. I could easily put the Project/Heirarchy/Inspector panels in my second monitor and increase their font sizes by 3-4 times and still easily see everything without scrolling. Instead I'm staring into a few pixels in the edges of one screen.

Even if i had only one monitor. i wouldnt really mind having to scroll a little bit as long as the submenus in the panels were collapsable (as they are)

15. theSoenke

theSoenke

With the increasing resolutions it would be great if Unity would support scaling on Windows 8. Currently Unity is very blurry, when scaling is active. I hate to use Unity on my notebook, because it's blurry when scaling is active or everything is incredible small

16. metaleap

metaleap

Unity really needs to fix this urgently.

Add a config option for font base size... how freaking HARD could it be?

I just switched to a new high-DPI machine. This is 2880x1620 pixels on a 15" IPS display.

Why did I choose so? So I can enjoy a higher-resolution game preview and no longer work under 1920x1080 which gives me a game-view of around 1136x640 since I don't like maximizing it, because tweaking in the inspector and hierarchy while running etc.

Well guess what, this is only possible for me if I tick the Disable display scaling on high DPI settings check-box option on the Compatibility tab of Unity's editor.exe Properties dialog.

If I do so: nothing, nothing is legible in Inspector/Hierarchy/Project/dialogs etc. I do have great eyesight! But high-DPI is, well, lots of dots per inch! News at eleven, right?

If I don't: then I don't even get full-HD (1080p) but less and worse: I get half-native resolution (1440x810!!) upscaled blurrily. Yes that's sadly how it works with Windows' hi-DPI scaling. So I upgraded to a shiny new high-resolution workhorse in order for Unity to downgrade my visual work experience and in-editor and Game View resolution.

Guys, this is getting ridiculous.. this is really super-embarrassing! Even before high-DPI displays (though they've been around for a few years if we're being honest) a simple font-size option would have been in order since dunno perhaps 2009? But now it's LONG EFFIN OVERDUE.

Now I don't suggest to be clever and put this into U5 as a "powerful new feature" like the LOOONG-OVERDUE 64-bit editor! This should have been a given years ago! Now you finally made it work and then some sales&marketing crook comes along and says "this is pretty crucial nowadays, so better put it in the v5 upgrade path"?

Now, this other long-overdue need for a "super simple base-font-size option" (you already ARE using some hardcoded font-size, just expose it, in the Windows registry or an .ini file if necessary, we mostly don't care for cosmetics here I think) should really arrive in 4.5.2 or 4.6 worst-case....

Sheeesh... guess I just throw out my marvellous brand-new Quadro-powered mobile workstation and grab a 3rd-hand ca. 2009 laptop so I can work with freaking Unity Engine and be able to read its GUI..

By the way I have two Pro licenses and many thousands invested in Asset Store over the last year. So my frustration is subjectively perhaps even say 8000 times as high as I would feel as a Free Indie user. But that's a subjective guess.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  17. PolyMad

PolyMad

Dude have you considered using 2 monitors? :D

18. metaleap

metaleap

What kind of solution is that. Throw more hardware at the lack of the most basic of features. I happen to enjoy working with a portable laptop on the terrace or in a cafe, instead of staring at a fixed installed monitor in the basement :D

I reiterate... Unity already chooses some hardcoded font-size by default. Expose that shoot somehow. An INI file, a registry key, if I need to restart Unity no prob. Just don't hardcode the 8px size for YEARS despite TONS of requests (Google is witness) time and again by users who want to change this default font size.

It's ridiculous how switching to a QHD display lowers the effective resolution I get compared to FHD if I want to be able to read things which means having to allow Windows' naive and blurry upscaling.

19. PolyMad

PolyMad

I understand your fun in developing at the cafe, you probably hit also one girl or two while there, nonetheless, 2 monitors are a PERFECT solution for working, I know because I use them :D
    Of course you can't bring a second monitor into the cafe, but you shouldn't also be so pushy in asking this.
    The software is what it is, and the devs probably considered other priorities than giving somebody the fun to work in a cafe... also Photoshop, for what I know, doesn't offer font scaling, and that software is used by MILLIONS since more than 15 years, if I'm right.
    Not that it mustn't be done, but for v.5 looks ok to me.

20. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Adding a config that lets you choose a font size is trivial, obviously. Changing the whole of the editor layout code to work with different font sizes is not trivial. This is on our Editor team roadmap, but hasn't been started yet.

(Just to illustrate better. Suppose you've created your game menuing system using the GUI class. Your designer says "oh, let's use this shiny font instead" and that font is larger than the one you've designed the menus with. You now need to go back and change the size of every rectangle in the layout code. Do-able, just not easy. And yes, the editor uses the GUI class for the user interface. And yes, hard coding the layout was a bad decision.)

Gordon_G and PolyMad like this.
  21. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

I believe it would help make this a priority for the Unity team if this request was voted on Unity Feedback (not my request, but I completely agree).

Screens are rapidly increasing in resolution. The current top of the line Asus Zenbook has 4k resolution on a 15'' display. I have a 15'' screen with 2880x1620 resolution and it's quite hard to read, as you can imagine. Letting Windows handle scaling in an artificial way (which blurs the interface) is NOT an acceptable solution.

I actually think this should be top priority. We're buying good machines with top GPUs/CPUs, SSD drives and large resolution screens to do game development, only to watch image quality getting severely worse.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  22. Sothoth

Sothoth

March 2015, Unity 5 is out, and we still need to lose our sight with extremely tiny fonts...

23. Gildon

Gildon

Yup. Can't use it at 1920x1080 on a 46" TV.

24. sogun

sogun

Make Unity games DPI Aware by default, a forced ON setting. Thank You. This way increasing the font size in Windows 7 makes Unity react to the increased DPI scaling I set and fonts get larger. Voila. Please Unity Technologies make this so!

25. Meoww

Meoww

(crosspost from feedback page)
    I cannot use the unity editor because of bad eye strain the little text gives me, even with windows DPI settings up etc. It took me lot of time to write own tool but it will never match unity in features..

I would even pay for this to be done.
    I would also accept a untested build of the unity editor with the bigger text size even if it wasn't working 100% correctly (like text overlapping in some places etc).

Please do add this finally for at least some people this is a big deal rly...

26. pavel_in

pavel_in

Absolutely agree that user-defined scaling of UI - is a BASIC MUST-HAVE feature. Still missing in 2017.

Comodus, Ziplock9000 and CanisLupus like this.
  27. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

They have known about the need to fix this (essential in 2017) issue for several years now and just don't care.

28. wechat_os_Qy07sUAJ5dK0eKFi8D_HdaDSI

wechat_os_Qy07sUAJ5dK0eKFi8D_HdaDSI

It seems that the must-have feature is still a unavailable feature in 2018.

29. Comodus

Comodus

Please, please, PLEASE. It's 2018, IT'S TIME to put this in your priority list don't you think? Please?

I've killed my eyes in the past few years working with software with tiny fixed font interface and it's getting more painful every day. The fact that many younger people do not see nor understand the huge strain it put on one's eyes doesn't even remotely begin to:
    1- cancel the fact
    2- alleviate the problem
    3- make it more bearable

I am sure adjusting the interface would require some work but if Blender did it, why shouldn't you be able to as well?

Please?

30. loydb

loydb

Z-Brush managed. Ableton managed. Autodesk managed.

Step the F up.

31. Ranth

Ranth

In Win10 I managed to fix it with the following method.

1) On desktop, right click and select 'Display Settings'
    2) Under 'Scale and Layout' and I changed 'Changed the size of text, apps, and other items' to 200%. This fixed it, so play with this number.

32. firestar9114_unity

firestar9114_unity

...really need this badly... I have a 4k display, and it is nearly impossible to read/dicern anything in the editor GUI. Also, the windows "fix" doesn't work for me because I am currently on Manjaro Linux. Any recommendations?

PolyMad likes this.
  33. blackfritz

blackfritz

2019 now and today it just become smaller than usual..

upload_2019-10-2_10-39-39.png

my eyes hurt

vocherart likes this.
  34. jarredthewitch

jarredthewitch

It's almost six years since the quoted post was made. Has the update been started yet?

35. PolyMad

PolyMad

Ahah don't hold your breath, man!