Search Unity

Unity in Action - upcoming how-to book!

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by jhocking, May 19, 2014.

1. jhocking

jhocking

Hi! My name's Joe Hocking and I am writing a book about developing games in Unity; the book is now in the Manning Early Access Program (MEAP) for subscribers to get chapters as I write them! Click this image of the cover:

(the url is www.manning.com/hocking)

Unity in Action teaches you to create projects in multiple game genres and deploy them to platforms including web and mobile. You'll build on your existing programming experience by working through examples using the Unity toolset, adding the skills you need to go from application coder to game developer. Each sample project illuminates specific Unity features and game development strategies. You'll learn techniques for developing cutting edge 3D games and explore the 2D workflow introduced in the most recent versions of Unity. Readers will leave the book with a well-rounded understanding of how to create graphically driven 2D and 3D applications.

Meanwhile there's a forum linked from the book's page for early readers to give me feedback about the book. That way you can let me know what's confusing you and help perfect the book before the print release.

Visit the website to read the first chapter for free!

Incidentally if you're wondering about me, I'm a software engineer at Synapse Games, where we've been using Unity to develop mobile games like Tyrant Unleashed. You can see our game at www.synapse-games.com or visit my website at www.newarteest.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  2. jhocking

jhocking

Celebrate your Independence!

Through July 7 save 50% by entering dotd070314 in the Promotional Code box when you check out.

www.manning.com/hocking

More chapters and code have been released, and still more is coming soon!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  3. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

Nice offer, done.

4. jhocking

jhocking

Hope you liked what you saw! There's some overlap between the tutorials you make and what I'm writing in this book, but mostly they look like complements actually; scanning over your youtube channel, it looks like you're making tutorials for people new to programming, whereas I'm writing a book for experienced programmers who are new to Unity.

5. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

I'm fairly new to Unity (less than a year), and also new to C#, but have been teaching for 25 years and teaching Java programming for the past 10 years. Teaching beginners things I'm just ahead of them in is my forte. At least I understand the problems that beginners have because I'm not so far from that myself.

I'm always interested in how other people teach. Teaching is my profession and my passion, Well, I do get a bit burned out at times I will admit, but usually bounce back again. I'm really enjoying making all the stuff on my YouTube channel.

6. SpectralRook

SpectralRook

I was not able to use the code you mentioned. I received the following message, "The coupon code you have entered has expired." However, I was able to get 50% off with this code: wm070614cc ... Expires at midnight on the 7th.

7. jhocking

jhocking

Thanks! Manning (my publisher) has been running a couple different promotions over the Independence Day weekend; apparently the one I posted expired sooner.

8. jhocking

jhocking

More chapters are available now, including how to work with Unity's new 2D graphics features! Deal of the Day August 3: Half off Unity in Action. Use code dotd080314au at www.manning.com/hocking/

9. jhocking

jhocking

I'm almost done writing Unity in Action, and it's Deal of the Day December 17! Half off, use code dotd121714au at www.manning.com/hocking

Early access includes all chapters as pdf, plus you'll get the print book when it goes out in the spring.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  10. jhocking

jhocking

quick progress update: The last MEAP update for my book went live today! Now everything has been updated for Unity 5, plus the appendices have been added to the MEAP; early access customers can now download what is essentially the final book. All that remains is final formatting and typesetting before this book goes to the printer!