Search Unity

Unity GUI - NGUI - TextMesh pro

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by djgriff, Oct 2, 2015.

1. djgriff

djgriff

Hi ,

I am struggling to understand why one would need a GUI extension script as such as NGUI.

Basically i like the fact that it states it only has one draw call but apart from that i can't se why to get it over the unity UI..

I have several assets for optimisation such as Draw call optimiser. So this kind of fills the one draw call point.

I was thinking that it would be better to get TextMesh Pro as it enables a lot more features text wise as far as i can see.

Basically i am struggling to see if NGUI is still relevant with unity 5?

Everyone rates NGUI but i can't understand why.

If someone could advise me as to why a GUI would be a good asset to get would be great.

Thanks

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

My opinion -- and just my opinion -- is that Unity UI supplants NGUI. NGUI filled a much-needed gap prior to Unity UI. That said, many existing Asset Store products are built using NGUI, such as NJG MiniMap. If you want to use them, you'll get the best results by using NGUI.

TextMesh Pro, on the other hand, will give you the fanciest-looking text, and the crispest world space text. It makes a nice supplement to Unity UI.

3. djgriff

djgriff

thanks for the reply, so TextMeshPro looks awesome and can't see how Unity UI an rival that at the mo.. love some of the features it has to offer. not bought it but watched the videos..

I kind of been feeling what you personally have to say about NGUI (assuming other UI assets as well).

.. Think i would probably benefit from more by getting TextMesh Pro..

cheers

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

NGUI and TextMesh Pro have some similarities, but deep down they solve different problems.

Definitely get TextMesh Pro. You'll be really happy with it. Make sure to sign up on the forum and get the latest version there. Stephan's always making improvements to it.

5. djgriff

djgriff

cool think i'll do that,
    If you have any another assets you can recommend do let me know ;)

Thanks