Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Game Developer Contest 2016

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Aurore, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

We challenge you to bring your best games to the Windows Store!

Following the success in previous years we bring you yet another developer contest, check out the meat of the information and rules here.

The Prizes!
    • First prize: $25,000 USD

• Second prize: $10,000 USD.

• Third prize: $5,000 USD

• Honorable mentions: 1 Unity Pro license

A reminder of deadlines;

We recommend publishing your game to Windows Store by January 27th, 2016
    For entering your published game in the contest: February 10th, 2016
    Note: If you have not published to the Windows Store before, please allow for several weeks before the January 27, 2016 deadline to submit your game.

If you have any questions please post them in this thread. Good Luck!

2. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Can you clarify this. I have a windows developer account already (well, I released a game on Windows 8/8.1 store, so assume its the same thing?).

Do I need a new one?

3. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

1. Is there any country limitation?
    2. Where is your porting guides? It says coming soon, how soon?

4. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I might actually get into this one, as I thought of an awesome idea. (Yep another one... :D) Oftentimes, I would go to enter contests either hosted by unity or one of it's members, (mostly the sketchfab art ones) but had to drop out because of school... Now I've graduated, and with 8-10 weeks of Christmas holidays to kill, I might actually have a shot at this one! :)

Have the MS account and the Windows 10 machine... Anything I missed? :D

EDIT: On another note, I pass age requirements now as well... :D (Turned 18 a month ago)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  5. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok, quick question; which components of VS 2015 are needed to make UWP apps? I am preparing to install VS 2015 for this, and trying to save disk space. (That last 13.4GB download was a nightmare... :()

EDIT: Ok, I've decided to setup with the win10 kit (definitely needed for this... :D) the windows 8/8.1 kit and visual C++ stuff (might need it later for other things).

And now it's installing, in comes 32GB of data...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  6. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok, one more thing; are there any show-stopping Windows Store-related bugs hanging around that could impact contest entries?

MrEsquire and renman3000 like this.
  7. renman3000

renman3000

Yes, can anyone confirm a Windows building experience? Nightmare or good time??! And what if I have no direct access to a Windows device?

Haysam likes this.
  8. Hertzole

Hertzole

May I ask why the minimum age requirement is 18?

As someone with a great passion to create games, already have a credit card, being able to get paid by stuff like this (have been before) and really want to be in this but isn't 18 yet I find this quite sad. Can't there be some way for some younger people to contribute to this?

ishan0103 and DugelStudios like this.
  9. Favor_89

Favor_89

Is it necessary to have a game made in Unity5? What about games made in Unity4?

10. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It seems the contest requires you to target Windows 10 SDK. Only Unity 5.2 and up supports that.

Magiichan, twobob and MrEsquire like this.
  11. landon912

landon912

Soo... what does this mean exactly? I haven't shipped to the Windows Universal platform before, so is Jan. 27 a deadline to submit new apps to the store or a deadline of having a game already published(and therefore submitted weeks in advance)? But already published games get a later deadline of Feb 10th? Hmm. What?

TL;DR: When the hell should I submit the game to be safe?

12. Magnumstar

Magnumstar

I think the windows store is a great new and untapped platform! I feel like this area is going to explode with the release of Windows 10 and universal apps. If only I had time to make a game and submit it to the store by January.

chrissanders likes this.
  13. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

@renman3000

I didn't release to windows store, but for Windows phone using unity. In my experience at the unity roadshow, it was kind of difficult to port my android game, mostly because of the need for visual studio back when monodevelop was bundled. Once Microsoft employees equipped me with visual studio express, and I figured how to get it to cooperate with unity, things went pretty smoothly, and the game just worked as expected when first built out to a device. So yeah, now that visual studio is included it couldn't be that tough, although I haven't tried since then.

Haysam likes this.
  14. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

That, and you needed a windows 8/8.1 machine back in that time to do it. ;) I have 10 now, so I'm all set. (Still testing some VS2015 things, making sure they work...)

MD_Reptile likes this.
  15. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Why not? :)

Magnumstar likes this.
  16. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Ahh yesssss I forgot how I had to image my hard drive prior to that, and then reinstall with win 8.1, install unity and so on and so forth... oh and of course classic shell - can't live without that as a developer on 8.1... So yeah that made things somewhat more difficult. I'm back on win 7 now, forget that nonsense.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  17. Magnumstar

Magnumstar

A 1 year old...

FuzzyQuills and MD_Reptile like this.
  18. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Children? Congrats, and good luck. :)

19. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Well done. ;)

20. renman3000

renman3000

So, Windows Store is for desktop, not phone? And do you need a Windows machine to build on or not?

21. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

Where is our Mother Of Dragons.. She said ask ur questions here but she doesnt answer... my Khalisa, please.....:cool:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  22. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

So the contest wants you to build with Windows 10 SDK. These applications can run on many devices, including desktops, tablets, phones, IoT devices (like Raspberry Pi 2), HoloLens, Xbox and more. Atm, you cannot really run it on HoloLens or Xbox because either device (in HoloLens case) or deployment tools (in Xbox case) aren't publicly available, but in theory, you game should just run on them in the future if you build it today using this build platform.

You need at least Windows 8.1 to build, and Windows 10 if you want to run the built game.

I've no idea about the first question, I'll get somebody to answer it.

Regarding the second one: what kind of porting guide are you talking about? Generally, nothing substantially changed between Windows Store Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 SDK, so most stuff applies in the same way. There are many resources online talking about porting Unity games to Windows Store.

twobob and renman3000 like this.
  23. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

24. DugelStudios

DugelStudios

Minimum age requirement 18? Why? :(

Hertzole likes this.
  25. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Hi, your Windows Developer Account should still work. If you run into any issues though, please sign up to the 1st submission form and then Microsoft can send you a token for a new account. If your account works, there's no need to sign up to step 1 :)

26. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Hi, there are just a few country limitations, please review the "Eligibility" section in the T&Cs here: http://unity3d.com/contest/windows/terms

DalerHakimov likes this.
  27. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Hey sorry, I've been travelling and working on a tonne of stuff so it's been a bit hectic but I'll get answers for you.

Edit: Jo beat me to it :p

Jo-Ryall likes this.
  28. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Hi, yes the contest rules state that you must build with Unity 5.2 or later and Visual Studios 2015. Please see "Step 2" on this page: http://unity3d.com/contest/windows

29. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Hi, Microsoft is still working on the porting guides. Unfortunately we don't yet have an ETA. We'll announce on social media once they're live on the page though. Thanks and sorry for the delay!

30. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Hi, the contest deadline (to complete step 3) is February 10th. We're just recommending developers submit their app to the Windows Store by January 27th so that there's sufficient time for your game to be reviewed, approved and published on the store in time. We also recommend this in case any games fail certification and developers need to resubmit to the store. After your game is published on the Windows Store, you'll be sent a unique URL which you'll need to enter into the final contest entry form "step 3". I hope that clarifies things for you.

landon912 likes this.
  31. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

What about target devices? Does this game need to be mobile/desktop/both

32. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Hi James, it can be a PC game, mobile game and/or both :)

chrissanders likes this.
  33. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

looks like it might be time to upgrade to windows 10 then!

thanks

Magnumstar likes this.
  34. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

If you need any help with anything, I can help in some areas, as I've been round the block a few times already. :)

Jo-Ryall likes this.
  35. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

The reason I think for this decision is due to unity 5.2 being the only one with Windows 10 SDK support. (Unity 4 never had this)

Point being, it shouldn't be too hard to port a unity 4.x project over to 5 anyway, just make sure to backup first! ;)

36. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I do ask; how come you quoted my post? :D I don't see anything there. Still, good to know that if you've done it previously, it will still work. :)

37. MrGky93

MrGky93

why vs2015 ?? not 2013 ??

38. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Most likely, that's the version with Windows 10 support... Have no idea otherwise, maybe UT can clear this one up.

I do know one thing however, and that's the fact that I don't remember seeing the windows 10 kit included in the VS2013 installer. In other words, that's most likely why VS2015 is minimum requirement.

MrGky93 likes this.
  39. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

Thanks for a lot of clarifications @Jo Ryall, you have helped a lot.
    Last question, as I know I'll not get myself in to top #3 but maybe like with a 1% chance :rolleyes: maybe I can get a Unity Pro License.. Does that license includes Android, IOS too or it will be the standard Unity 5 only..?

40. Kakapio

Kakapio

Why can't those under 18 participate?

41. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I still don't get this one... it's probably because of some laws based around giving cash prizes to minors. (I think that's why)

When I got my bank account I actually ended up with a full one before I realized that having a full one before you're 18 was for some reason illegal. (I think that was why my sister couldn't get a full one) That's cleaned up now obviously, since I'm 18 myself...

Long story short, if that's why under 18's can't participate, blame the government. ;)

42. darkhog

darkhog

I don't think I'm gonna take a part in this contest, even if prices are tempting. But good luck to others!

43. Kakapio

Kakapio

I suppose you could register in the name of a parent/guardian and submit the prize for their entry...

44. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

That's actually a good idea for those under 18. Well, unless your parents hate games for some reason... ;)

Hertzole likes this.
  45. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Yes, you're correct, in order to build a Universal Windows Platform game/app you must use 5.2 + and VS 2015.

46. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Hi, you're welcome :) It's Unity 5 Pro only. Good luck!

47. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Hi, yes, I'm sorry it's the law unfortunately where they state that a person under the age of 18 years isn't legally able to consent to terms and conditions.

48. Hertzole

Hertzole

How about signing your parents up then and you make the game? Just curious. :rolleyes:

faraz likes this.
  49. faraz

faraz

Can i use any free assets for help.. or i need to build it fresh?

50. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

Summary
    Its been a bit of both. When it works, it works OK. But usually it has a whole bunch of problems around latency and overheating and has a splash screen you won't be able to get rid of. I've also had lots of problems where Unity does weird things like plastering watermarks in the apps no matter what you used for your license.

Stability
    For stability, avoid things like gyro... best-fit text. Some libraries are better avoided altogether (crypto libraries for example). Use delayed co-routines instead of updates. Assume its going to run like a low-end Android device during development. Working with their store front team for testing is usually the more annoying part - they kind of make up the acceptance rules as they go a lot. You'll either get approved right away, or get the usual cryptic response that requires going back forth a few times. Testing from Unity seems to be very minimal on Windows, so expect some unresolvable bugs.

Sales
    People don't like to pay for anything on Windows when it comes to games (more so accepting if its an application), but they also don't have the number of users needed to support ad driven apps. So your best bet for profitability is probably to target in-app. Expect it to be your lowest selling platform.

Suggestions
    Keep in mind, EA, Capcom, Namco etc all have Unity gaming departments now and will be targeting contests like this for marketing purposes, although, I full expect Unity will be aware of this and looking for indies if they can. Additionally, Unity likes to pull support periodically for devices with lowered user counts to save money, so you accept that risk building for any fringe platforms with them (such as a special Windows 10 universal build). Although I have it on good faith that Windows won't be pulling funding anytime soon.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Guhanesh, Mintah, Elkis and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.