Search Unity

Unity freezes when converting a large GameObject to a prefab

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Hangout, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Hangout

Hangout

Hi,

For an example: We have a bigger Game Object, A Building consisting of walls, windows, floors, doors etc.
    Importing it works good, loading into the scene to and assigning Mesh colliders as well.

When I now want to create a prefab from that, Unity starts calculation but freezes in. It stays at around 13% CPU usage (whole system: 14% not much else going on) even not mush Memory (System usage: 35%) is used.

What is the problem here?

Thanks for any help

2. ciabaros

ciabaros

Not an answer, but I may have more useful information..

I'm having the same problem, large Game Object (lots of sub-pieces), unity freezes when creating prefab. I'll also add that (in my case) I'm doing this at run-time (game preview within unity) as a solution to easily create a "map designer" (create map, drag to lib to save as prefab, and load it up later -- totally legit with smaller/simpler objects, seems to break with "big" ones)

Any ideas? Could there be some kind of limited processing buffer for creating prefabs?

3. Kaze_Senshi

Kaze_Senshi

Did you try to create a prefab made of prefabs? For example, make each wall or a group of them a prefab, and go making groups of sub-prefabs, after this, select all this sub-prefabs and create the final one.

4. knowpixels

knowpixels

Any feedback regarding the workaround mentioned above working for anyone?