Search Unity

Unity for PlayStation®4 Released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

jpthek9 and BrandyStarbrite like this.
  2. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

So I assume a PS4 dev kit is required to develop games with that?

3. Tim-Cannell

Tim-Cannell

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Yes, you need to be registered as a developer with Sony (links are in the blog), you can then purchase a PS4 dev kit from them and download the special version of Unity for PS4.

Tim - Unity Platform Team

4. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

OK, thanks. I don't suppose getting a rough idea of the dev kit cost is allowed to be shared? It's too bad, it seems that you have to go through a lot of steps just to get access to that important information. As a hobbyist, I can't justify spending the $$$ if it costs as much as 6 or 7 consumer PS4's (which is my impression).

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Congrats on release, Unity!

As a hobbyist, you will know there's expensive and cheap hobbies :)

6. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Hehe, indeed. What I should have said is "I can't *reasonably* justify spending the $$$." I can unreasonably justify just about anything. :)

7. XCO

XCO

This is very exciting, but someone told me that people are already devolving games for XBOX ONE with UNITY and I was wondering where is the info on XBOX one if anyone has it ?

Sorry I know this is the PS4 thread i just couldn't find the XBOX one... And I would love to know if you can already dev for XBOX ONE with unity ?!? :D

8. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

There's an ID@Xbox program that a chosen few have been developing games for. They've said that eventually retail/consumer Xbox One consoles will be usable as dev kits, and presumably they'll be opening up the program to more developers. It could end up being a far more accessible platform than PS4, depending on how things go.

XCO likes this.
  9. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Welp, if that's true, in comes a new platform! :)

That IS a question though: where to get info on Xbox One publishing with Unity? Just wondering about license terms. (I already know Nintendo with the Wii U have a fairly easy to get into program for Unity devs)

10. bocs

bocs

ah...too bad, I was hoping it was like the vita where you could just test without a dev kit.

11. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@bocs: You CAN?! :eek: I had no idea! :)

12. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/Developers/id

13. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

AMAZING! :) Looks like I will be dropping my game on that, shall it become successful! ;)

I shall add it to my console register URL listing. (I already have the Wii U on the list)

14. gamerz31w

gamerz31w

What about Nintendo Wii U?Aurore avatar is from Hobbit,Lord of the Rings,Throne Games or Eragon?

15. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

16. radiantboy

radiantboy

The cost and the location are the main issues for me (PS4: You must be physically located in US, Mexico, Central America, South America, or Canada) :) I love how Unity lets us so easily develop for PS and Xbox!!

Can't wait to fulfill my life long dream of bringing a game of my own design to the mainstream consoles.

XCO likes this.
  17. ScottyB

ScottyB

That sounds like just the requirements for SCE America, have you checked out SCE Europe?

18. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

Is there an ETA on Unity 5 for consoles?

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's been available for ages. You cannot have it without going via MS or Sony or Nintendo. Same for UE4 or anything else that's big. The path is via the manufacturers.