Search Unity

Unity Eula interpretation question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metron, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Metron

Metron

Hello everyone (and especially our fellow Unity employees),

Can you confirm my interpretation of the current Unity Eula?

The Eula says this: "You May Not Use Unity Personal with Unity Pro or any Unity Pro Add-On Products"

So basically, if you purchase any pro license, you have to purchase the exact same license for any other team member using Unity.

I don't need all members to i.e. have an iOS pro license if I only have 1 developer working on an iOS app. But the Eula forces me to buy it.

Thus, my 4 member team has to throw 4500*4 on the table to be legal (1 Android programmer, one iOS and everyone PC + 1 graphic artist license).

Further on, if I outsource any work to a 3rd party content creator who delivers i.e. Asset bundles, the Eule says this:

"You may not combine or integrate Licensee Content that you develop with Unity Personal simultaneously with any Licensee Content that you develop with Unity Pro or any Unity Pro Add-On Products. Licensee Content developed with Unity Personal will be tagged with an identifier that is used to enforce this restriction."

Which basically means: If I use the pro version of Unity, I must make sure that any sub-contractor also has the pro version...

Is this interpretation right?

And before the question comes up: Yes, my team makes more than $100k but not so much that the $18k would not hurt...

And no, this is NO UE4 VS U5 discussion... Customer wants U5, I deliver U5...

2. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

I would like a clearer explanation of that agreement excerpt as well, please.

3. bluescr

bluescr

My interpretation would be that you'd need $1500*4 + $1500 + $1500, Unity Pro for everyone, and a minimum of one Android Pro and one iOS Pro add-on, for whoever deals most with those platforms. I don't think you need iOS/Android Pro for everybody?

But in 4.x, most programmers would want to have iOS and/or Android Pro, to use the profiler, and to be able to test features like rendertextures. It is unclear whether this is still the case with 5.0. (If the only difference is the splash screen - would a great big 50-person team just need a single iOS Pro license for doing final builds on?)

And yes, your subcontractors should have Pro if they actually create assets within Unity. (if they're just sending you FBXs and .pngs they don't need Unity at all. But if they want to set up materials or edit level layouts - then they should have Pro)

4. Metron

Metron

Unfortunately, that's not what the Eula wording says... :(

Why? If they make less than $100k per year?

5. orb

orb

Some clarification on this would be great, and a new EULA even better. As it is now, people can get UE and do contract work for companies of any size royalty-free, but if a contractor uses Unity to work with some poor schlep who saved up for Pro, it's technically against the EULA.

6. bluescr

bluescr

There's this bit:

"You May Not Use Unity Personal with Unity Pro or any Unity Pro Add-On Products"

Which just means your team/company can't mix Personal and Pro (if you use Pro or Pro add-ons, everyone has to have a Pro license).

There's also this:

"Unity Pro users who are not eligible to use Unity Personal may not develop and publish Licensee Content for the iOS and Android platforms without purchasing the applicable Unity Pro Add-On Product license"

Which just seems to mean that if you're earning $100k+/year you can't publish to iOS without iOS Pro.

But I couldn't spot anything that requires *everybody* on the team to have iOS Pro. (But nobody has confirmed whether iOS support without the add-on still has restrictions, e.g. no profiler)

You posted it yourself. If anyone in your team is using Pro, then you you're not allowed to mix it with Personal:

"You may not combine or integrate Licensee Content that you develop with Unity Personal simultaneously with any Licensee Content that you develop with Unity Pro or any Unity Pro Add-On Products."

7. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

I feel like there needs to be more clarification from Unity in those quoted sections. What if I download an asset from the store that was created by a developer using Unity Pro? What if a contractor (not an official employee or team member) with Unity Pro kickstarts development of a project then passes that version of the project to me to complete? I may not even know if these folks have Unity Pro, especially since all of the previous "Pro-only" features are now in both editions.

8. Metron

Metron

A 3rd party content deliverer is hardly a member of my team...
    Which means that I'm right in my interpretation...

9. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

So here is another bit of text from the license agreement (underlining for emphasis):

1. Unity Personal Restrictions. You acknowledge and agree that as an express condition to the license rights granted under Section 1, you are not permitted to combine or integrate in any manner any Licensee Content developed with Unity Personal with any Licensee Content developed simultaneously with Unity Pro. For the avoidance of doubt: (a) if you are a permitted user of Unity Personal, you may commence a project using only Unity Personal and subsequently upgrade all (but not less than all) of your licenses to Unity Pro and the applicable Unity Pro Add-On Products, and (b) any user of the Software may use content licensed from third parties regardless of the version of the Software that was used to develop such third party content. You acknowledge and agree that Unity may tag Licensee Content created with Unity Personal with an identifier to prevent such a prohibited combination of Licensee Content.

So I think that means imported assets and projects/work from external parties should be okay, even if they were made with Unity Pro.

Would love if a Unity employee would chime in here. Please and thank you. :)

10. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Aurore confirmed in this thread that content from contractors and other external parties don't require that you also have Pro.

11. Tarzerix

Tarzerix

Im very interested in this topic as well...
    Im thinking of purchasing the pro subscription, because of several features, incl. the customizable splash screen. But from time to time I ask other coders, who do not own pro licenses (as far as I know), for help. They write some scripts, overlook/work some of my scripts, and I deliver artwork/animations for exchange when they need it. Would this become a problem?
    I plan to release my game as a company in the IOS appstore. The other coders wont be registered members of that company (if that matters), but more like third party suppliers.
    When are people involved in a project considered "team members"?

Do expired licenses affect existing apps? Means..can I keep selling a game that was once developed with a now expired pro license, with all its pro features (like no unity splashscreen etc.)?

Some clarification would be great.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  12. nooneimportant1

nooneimportant1

Ok, so if I understand this right, I am using Unity PE and making a game that takes 10 years of my life. And then midway I decide to get a pro license after years of saving, I can STILL LEGALLY work on that same product in a UnityPro environment correct? The very same product I was working on in the PE version? I mean it makes the most sense, and I feel thats what I just read, but I wanted to be sure.

13. Velo222

Velo222

And what is the legal view on those people who pre-ordered Unity 5 pro, started making a game with the pro beta, and then decide to revert back to Unity Personal Edition with the new information that it's free for everyone?