Search Unity

Unity Editor - Wacom Pen Tablet Input Not Working - Windows 8 x64

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Marchris, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Marchris

Marchris

Hi there! I just bought a new windows 8 x64 tablet, and it works fantastic with Unity, the only big downside is that the Unity Editor does not register pen mouse clicks of any kind (left, or right click) from the pen, rendering it completely useless for editing. Touch input works fine, but is impractical at a high resolution. Does anyone know of why the Editor will not accept these clicks?

The track pad and my USB mouse also work fine in the editor, AND the Wacom pen works just fine and expected when running a built game, but it simply does not functional at all inside of the editor, including when I try to use it in the in-editor game view. I am using Wacom's official Windows 7 x64 drivers as they haven't made any for Windows 8, and so far Unity Editor is the only program I have issues with. (Works fine in Adobe CS, 3DS Max, and Maya).

Cheers, and thank's in advance to anyone who can provide insight!

2. MarkV

MarkV

Were you able to resolve? I'm having the same issue. Do you know if pen input works in the editor under Windows 7? I would downgrade if it works better with unity...

Also, I wasn't sure if this might be a pro versus free version issue.

I'm not seeing touch input working in the Editor. At least, I'm unable to close the startup window. I have noticed if I keep trying to press "play" or other buttons in unity it will sometimes eventually see the press (touch or stylus), but it's not reliable enough (barely able to have it happen) to use.

Thanks,
    Mark

3. kanga

kanga

Pen input works fine on Windows 7. There have been a lot of issues with wacom and windows 7 64bit in general though.

4. Zafio

Zafio

Question is... who can/should solve this? Unity developers or Wacom developers? Could be wacom's driver...

W7 64 Intuos3 here. I work in the editor with the tablet's mouse and pen just fine, but it doesn't work in game view.

5. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth

Did anyone find a workaround to this. I have the same issue with my wacom Intuos4 tablet on a windows 8 laptop. I see other reports of windows 8 tablet pen input problems in the Unity editor, is this specifically a windows 8 problem?

6. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

Hey all,

We do have a bug report open for this assigned to our editor team, so we will investigate if there is something we can do from our side.

Thanks,
    Chris

7. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

For the record, same happens with a couple of Trust tablets as well: I tried a few Wacom and Trust on Win8 32bits with the very same result: in the editor the click (to paint the terrain) doesn't register.

8. gizmotweak

gizmotweak

I hope you guys can resolve this. i am experiencing issues with my Cintiq as well when using Unity 4 and the pen. Some stuff works fine but things like click drags to resize a panel or move a panel will not work at all. If i flip the pen over and use the eraser it works for a minute then it stops...strange and kind of funny. If I recall i have the same issue when trying to move assets especially with vsnapping

Here is the software and hardware i am using currently using if it helps.

Win 7 Pro 64
    Unity 4.1.3f3 (Pro Sub but i had the same problem in the free version)
    Wacom Tablet - Cintiq 24HD
    GFX card - Quadro K5000 (pretty sure this won't matter but just in case)
    Dual monitor setup. Tablet is main.

Cranking the pen tip feel to max hardness with the custom graph (backwards "L" shape move all three points right) helps to some degree, but its an 80% solution (still cant resize panels on edge and vnapping while now useable takes a lot of pressure and is finicky at times,

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  9. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth

Is there any news on this? I just wondered if the partnership with Microsoft and the upcoming Windows 8 capability might have helped get this issue some focus?

Ian

10. Giuseppe

Giuseppe

I had issues using my Intuos 4 with Windows 8 / Unity 4, my taps were not being recognised in Unity but worked fine anywhere else in the OS. What solved it for me was turning off the Windows Tablet PC settings entirely. It's a bit tricky as I've found they turn themselves back on but once you get them all off (specifically the option for pressing and holding to right click), it should all work fine again.

11. Doctor_What

Doctor_What

I'm also having a similar issue:

Windows 8
    Intuos4
    Unity 4.1.5

I can use the mouse in the editor, but as soon as I drop to the game then it stops working. The tracker pad on my laptop works so the code is functioning, and the mouse works perfectly when not in-game... But as soon as I drop to the game, the mouse is not detected.

Using the same tablet I had no problems with Windows 7 and Unity 3.x.

I've tested with Unity games online and they don't detect the mouse either. It appears to only be the combination of Windows 8, graphics tablets, and Unity - something is being passed through in a way that Unity doesn't detect as normal mouse input.

12. BugBear

BugBear

I'm having the same issues using Unity on my Dell inspiron 17R, Win8-64 Wacom Bamboo tablet.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  13. nocanwin

nocanwin

Fixed! Hopefully this works for others.

Go to the mapping tab in the wacom control panel. Uncheck "Use Windows Ink". I also have "Press and hold" and "Flicks" disabled in the the Pen and Touch control panel.

Win8 64
    Intuos4

Liman_lcd, VanDeiMin and Ivke_Demagog like this.
  14. itos

itos

Thanks! I confirm that unchecking "Use Windows Ink" solved my problem that I need to double click on the menus to open them. I am using Windows 7 and a Wacom Intous 4.

highpockets and VanDeiMin like this.
  15. tstpierre_nss

tstpierre_nss

Good find... had same issue with Win8 64 + Cintiq 22HD.

Disabling Windows Ink did it.

16. agudmund

agudmund

17. netlander

netlander

Fantastic, unchecking Use Windows Ink fixed the problem.

Win 8.1 x64
    Intuos 3
    Unity 4.2.2f1

18. themautrix

themautrix

I wonder if they will find a better fix for this to even detect all kind of inputs a wacom pen can output, specially with the 6d art pen (rotation), i bet at least for the new Cintiq Companion there should be a proper fix, as it ships with windows 8, and not 7.

19. sanloc

sanloc

Hi CreativeChris,

Just wondering if there's still a bug open at Unity? I just bought a Surface Pro hoping to be able to disable Microsoft Ink in the Wacom Feel driver but the check box isn't there any more (or never was for Surface's)!

Cheers

20. Beardbotnik

Beardbotnik

Im wondering what the status is on this as well. I have the Windows Ink thing turned off on Windows 8.1 and trying to manipulate a rotating camera doesnt work with the pen and the buttons on the Bamboo's mouse don't seem to work either. I've tested it with a usb mouse and that seems to work. So something about the clicking/mouse inputs don't seem to match up with what Unity is trying to look for I guess?

Oddly enough I can still use the Bamboo and the mouse to select options on the interface such as sliders.

21. SpAiK

SpAiK

I was having the same problem with my Trust Aeroo, but curiously if I go to the tablet preferences panel and switch from pen to mouse and then to pen again it will work. On mouse mode Unity Editor works well, but I can switch back to pen and it's still working fine.

Hope this helps others.

22. jimzepellin

jimzepellin

As far as i know the Use Windows ink is only in the newer drivers. Disabling this for Unity worked for me.

For those stuck I've noticed that treble clicking the menus opens them.

23. Javity

Javity

Unchecking this worked for me too! What a great fix. So glad I read through this post. I'm using a Bamboo tablet on Win 8 due to carpal tunnel issues, the stylus is a must. This also gets rid of that laggy response with the circular indicators in the OS too. Thanks all.

24. santokki15

santokki15

Fixed! Hopefully this works for others.

Go to the mapping tab in the wacom control panel. Uncheck "Use Windows Ink". I also have "Press and hold" and "Flicks" disabled in the the Pen and Touch control panel.

Win8 64
    Intuos4

I just unchecked "Use Windows Ink" and it worked! Thank you so much for the help.

seanrod likes this.
  25. Kronbjorn

Kronbjorn

Why do we need new drivers for our tablets, when _all_ other programs except Unity works ?
    How about Unity fixed their bug ?

26. seanrod

seanrod

Thanks santokki15, it worked!

santokki said, "Fixed! Hopefully this works for others.

Win8 64
    Intuos4

I just unchecked "Use Windows Ink" and it worked! Thank you so much for the help."

27. CatStreet

CatStreet

"Go to the mapping tab in the wacom control panel. Uncheck "Use Windows Ink". I also have "Press and hold" and "Flicks" disabled in the the Pen and Touch control panel."

thanks you very much !!! IT worked ! :)

tnydwrds and 2dchaos like this.
  28. wam3d

wam3d

Thanks

29. Doctor_What

Doctor_What

I posted in this thread in 2013 and still have the same problem!

Windows 10 these days
    Intuos4 still
    Latest Unity 5 builds.

The Wacom Intuos4 mouse does not work to control looking in first-person games that require mouse + WASD to play.

I've tried disabling Windows Ink, but that option only applies to the Wacom pen tool, not the Wacom mouse.

30. highpockets

highpockets

Thanks so much itos, this was driving me nuts and your solution works instantaneously.

31. trivanks

trivanks

In the same related issues to Wacom driver not found... well thanks as the above helpful discussion here know problem solution to fix if we get this error

1. Press windows key + R and then type services.msc in the dialog box of the run window which appears and click ok.
    2. The services window will open and under this find your Wacom tablet service. Note that it is to be made sure that your Wacom tablet service has running status. Also, note that the Wacom tablet service can vary from device to device and can have different names. The names can be tabletserviceWacom, Wacom profession service, Wacom consumer service, touch keyboard and handwriting panel service.
    3. Now right click on your Wacom tablet service accordingly and then click restart in the window.
    4. Now you can restart the computer and then check if the tablet options are working or just directly check them.
    Source: https://www.skytechosting.com/wacom-tablet-driver/

32. nuhai67

nuhai67

I have a XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro Graphics Tablet with screen . That happened to me the other day.

Uncheck 'Use Windows Ink' in the tablet driver and it worked! Thank you so much for the help.

KarlKarl2000 and rponnie_unity like this.
  33. rponnie_unity

rponnie_unity

Brillant ! Thanks.

34. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Argh... WINDOWS INK!!!!!

Thank you!

35. Elis_Felicio

Elis_Felicio

ha dias estava procurando por uma solução....Funcionou desativar tinta do windows....

36. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

8 years later and apparently still broken.

Disabling WindowsInk because Unity doesn't work correctly with it isn't a solution it's a hack :(. I actually want to use Windows Ink. It works fine in all apps - except Unity.

Alan_Brito likes this.
  37. StyxOo

StyxOo

Sadly it seems this way. I like the functionalities WindowsInk provides everywhere else. But I would also like to be able to use my Wacom pen to control the Unity editor. Without having to change the settings every time. But it doesn't seem like there is a solution available so far..

Edit:
    For anyone who doesn't know: You can set different settings per application in the Wacom tablet settings. My Unity specific settings are now set up to not use WindowsInk, whilst everything else does. Still not a fix, but it makes it somewhat more usable.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  38. jiaoluokeji_1001

jiaoluokeji_1001

Close the long press,Thought it was a clear road,unity this error still doesn't work

39. Lemovision

Lemovision

Anyone able to read pressure input from Wacom pen??
    I disabled windows ink and everything
    But although I do get pointer control, no pressure sensitivity apparently?

40. Alan_Brito

Alan_Brito

Classic from Unity...

Yeah disabling Windows Ink worked, thanks for that it was driving me crazy.

Unfortunately my Tablet (I'm using a Huion) disables that for every program, which is a downside from the tablet itself but also from Unity, because Unity is so special that it requires disabling an specific option (that no other program has a problem with) in order to work with a tablet (no words can express the huge facepalm I'm having right now)

Thanks a lot Unity, you never disappoint in letting me down.

pol_ferrando likes this.