Search Unity

Unity Editor Voice Control tool

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by khos85, Jul 27, 2014.

1. khos85

khos85

Hi everyone,

I'm close to finishing a customisable Unity Editor Voice Control tool, you can see a short demo video here:

I would like to ask of your feedback, good bad or ugly :)
    It can be useful for quick changes such as going from move to rotate to Scale on objects , as just one example.

Thanks,
    Kim

2. JordanBird

JordanBird

It's definitely interesting but it seems as though it would just be faster to use Q, W, E and R to go from scale to rotate etc; especially as it seems to have a delay.

I wouldn't use it in my workflow I don't think, but I could see some people liking the idea of using it.

Have you thought about expanding its capabilities to allow for less abled game developers to use Unity?

3. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Easy way to troll with tutorials, have people follow and then "Close Unity, Don't save" or "Delete Assets folder, Yes"

Deleted User likes this.
  4. khos85

khos85

I see your points, thanks for the feedback, it could be easier to remember to say the word e.g. scale compared to having to rememeber that the shortcut key is R (or whatever it is), so in terms of remembering what the keys are that could be helpful too if you do not remember all of them.
    I am sure there would be multiple different uses for this type of tool, not limited to just Unity :)

5. khos85

khos85

Hi there, I am not sure I follow your reply, are you saying I am trolling, apologies if I misunderstand?.

6. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

No I'm saying it's not a very full proof method, look at XB1 for example. It's easy to abuse and quite slow.

Deleted User likes this.
  7. khos85

khos85

Oh ok xbox1 :) You can control the shortcuts my tools uses, and only picks up the words you define, it should be much better at controlling and ensuring only those commands are recognised/used.

Who wants a free copy to test with?

8. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

The thing is, "rotate"...*wait 2 seconds for the app to process* or you could just press R. Hotkeys are the future mang.

Deleted User likes this.
  9. khos85

khos85

There is no 2 sec wait, I amit some lag but it is minimal, it'll help if you are bad at remembering the hotkeys :)

10. khos85

khos85

In fact, I just had a thought. The reason why it seems to lag is due to the length of the word being recognised, you could easily just say "r" insread of "rotate", that would down the lag .

11. StephanM

StephanM

Would it be possible to add voice control into a game and not just the editor?

12. khos85

khos85

Hi, of course, the program I made will work in the background and keep working, should not matter what else is running.
    Would you be interested in testing it? :)

13. StephanM

StephanM

I'd be interested :) Even better would be if it could understand whispers... so I don't bother my wife so much, hehe.

14. khos85

khos85

:) Turn the mic up more.. OK I'll try prepare something for you, can't promise how soon yet, bit busy here.