Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Cutscene Creator / Camera Path - uSequencer [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WellFiredDevelopment, Jun 19, 2012.

1. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

2. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

3. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

4. Griffith

Griffith

Hi,

I seem to be encountering quite an annoying bug.

I create a sequence, place it inside one of my room objects. Save my room object as a prefab. Delete the room object from the scene and instantiate it with my room loader at runtime.

The cutscene doesn't work when instantiated as a child of my room. So I decided to drag and drop my room prefab back into my scene. When I do the sequence is completely broken/uneditable and non recoverable.

I remade the cutscene tried to make the cutscene into a prefab using the button on the usequencer timeline.

I then saved my room prefab after doing this (with the sequence saved as a prefab) and repeated the above steps. The sequence is once again broken. Then there's an even worse bug, if you make your sequence a prefab and then place it inside a game object, make the parented game object a prefab. Go into the sequencer timeline, click update prefab and it will overwrite your parent prefab with the sequence (in this case my entire room object).

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Thanks

5. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Griffith,

I recommend you read the documentation and watch some of our tutorial videos, I'll post them here for easy of reading :

http://www.wellfired.com/usequencer.html#documentation_tab (Read the sequences as prefabs section)

Sequences As Prefabs youtube playlist

The crux of the matter is that sequences are quite complex and have custom prefab'ing abilities, you'll need to make your prefabs the other way around, anything you want to instantiate with a sequence, make it a child of the sequence. :)

Or, you can instantiate two objects, 1st everything you want to instantiate, then 2nd your sequence.

Regards,
    Terry

6. -JohnMore-

-JohnMore-

Hi,

I have some problems with the plugin but first I'd like to thank you all for this plugin, it's my second project using it and making great cutscenes is really really easy.

My problem is, since updating to Unity 4.6.0p1 my project won't save the scenes while uSequencer is installed. Remove the folder, restar Unity it saves. Install again, restart Unity it does not.

I have reverted back to 4.6.0 and this does not happen. It scared me :)

Regards

7. Xtro

Xtro

I can't save my scenes!!! 4.6.0p1

8. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Definitely right to be scared about not being able to save ;)

I'm also very happy that you like uSequencer :)

May I ask where you downloaded 4.6.0p1? I can't seem to find it anywhere? I could recommend downgrading to 4.6.0 for the time being :)

Also, what happens when you try to save? Nothing happens what so ever?

9. -JohnMore-

-JohnMore-

Hi,

I am already using the 4.6.0 and everything is working. After reading your replay I took a look at the version and realized it was a quick patch by Unity to fix issues and add fixes from the 4.5.x branch but I think it is not an official release.

You can find patches for Unity here: http://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

Yes, when you press save nothing happens. I can create a new scene and the first time the file is created there is no problem, but when you modify it and try to save again it is ignored.

About the bug, it seems like there was some error when loading Unity and the uSequencer plugin and something broke, locking any save operation. For example apart from saving the scene I could not change the import settings from textures and meshes since pushing the Apply button did nothing and the settings reverted to their status before being modified.

It looks a lot like an error in a script during a game execution, in which you can still keep running but the script is "locked" and does not work anymore. Only that this happens to the "save" functionality of Unity.

10. schmosef

schmosef

@ArtOfSettling, Here's the thread where patch release links are posted: link.

11. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Thanks guys,

I'm a little confused how That managed to sneak past me!

Fix incoming, I'll post here soon.

Regards,
    Terry

12. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

OK, the issue seems to be related to Unity's bug fix :

• (638865) - Editor: Fixed AssetModificationProcessor.OnWillSaveAssets checking out files that were not Saved and OnWillDeleteAssets always marking assets for delete.

This will likely affect other packages also, I've sent a bug report to Unity and will update you when possible. In the mean time, I'll try to create a work around!

You should avoid using 4.6.0p1

Regards,
    Terry

13. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey guys,

We've got a fix for this bug, if you need a copy of uSequencer, please send us an email with your receipt to support@wellfired.com

Regards,
    Terry

14. Xtro

Xtro

We can't avoid using 4.6p1 because it fixes a serious ios screen orientation bug we were having before 4.6p1.

I'll email you for the fixed version.

15. OnePxl

OnePxl

16. Xtro

Xtro

Dear Terry sent me the fixed version. Thank you Terry again.

17. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

18. gecko

gecko

I"m trying to set up an NGUI button to skip the uSequencer sequence and either go to a new sequence, or load a new scene. Is there a way to do that?

19. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello gecko,

It's possible and really simple, could you tell me how you usually respond to button presses in NGUI? (Presumably with a little script?)

Regards,
    Terry

20. gecko

gecko

Yeah, we've got a variety of scripts that control NGUI in the game. My developer sets those up for me, as they're usually pretty complicated for gameplay. This is for the intro animation, and I just want simple functionality here -- just triggering some uSequencer actions onclick. (So it's not tied into anything else, just within uSequencer itself.)

21. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Yeah, that's no problem, on your button callback script, get your developer to do the following :

Expose an USSequencer field to the inspector, then call the play method onClick.

Should look something like this:

[SerializeField]
    private USSequencer sequenceToPlay;

public void OnClickCallback()
    {
    sequenceToPlay.Play();
    }

You can just have your developer call OnClickCallback when you click the button and the sequence you hooked up in the inspector should just play ! :)

We'll be doing some built in Unity UI work soon! :)

Regards,
    Terry

22. gecko

gecko

Thanks!

It'd be great to have some built-in button functionality at some point.

23. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Whilst it would be really nice, there's not currently an easy way to do this with NGUI, since it's not a standard asset, we could definitely do it with Unity UI.

I could also provide you with the component that you can add to your button, if that would be helpful.

Regards,
    Terry

24. gecko

gecko

If you can send me the component to add to the button, that'd be awesome! You've got my email address from the dissolve action.

25. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello gecko,

Do you know which version of NGUI you use?

Regards,
    Terry

26. gecko

gecko

Looks like we've got v3.0.7 in this particular project.

27. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

I have a slightly older version of NGUI, but I've just created this button pack, please let me know if this doesn't work with your version of NGUI and I'll make some changes.

To use it, simply add the component you want to your NGUI Button.

There are four events

PlaySequence
    StopSequence
    SkipSequence
    PauseSequence

Attached Files:

28. gecko

gecko

Thanks! These work great! Really appreciate it!

29. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

30. gecko

gecko

Another question: When I upgraded to the latest version, I found that all my cameras need to be activated at the start of the sequence, and then uSequencer enables/disables the camera component on each one according to sequence actions. That's fine...except that means that the Audio Listeners on all the cameras are always active, which spams the console with warnings. Is there a way to handle that?

31. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey gecko,

Yeah, this is something that I've been debating with myself recently, you'll have noticed we used to turn of the entire game object, which was great for some people, however it would destroy a lot of unity's internal post processing, toggling just the camera resolves this.

I'll add an option in the next version that will simply toggle the AudioListener if available and the user wants it.

I'll fire you over a build with this shortly! :)

Regards,
    Terry

32. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey guys!

Here's a quick unoptimized WebGL player, showing off the Unity 4.6+ UI integration, built with Unity 5.0.

http://tinyurl.com/o5blrsz

The UI Integration has been submitted to the asset store and should be available soon!

Regards,
    Terry

33. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Gecko,

I just sent you a version that will toggle AudioListeners if needed. This is also a feature that will be available in the next version.

Regards,
    Terry

34. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

We've just made a blog post about our most upcoming update!

uSequencer 1.3.8 - Unity UI, WebGL Export, and Dissolve Transitions http://wp.me/p5oMfy-1x

- Terry

35. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

36. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

37. toto2003

toto2003

hi terry,
    as an old owner of your awesome asset, there something i really miss on it ,that could really improve the pipeline, is to have a dopsheet similar to the one unity have. when it come to having lot of keys to deal with, just to move a position keys i had to select xyz keys,it can become really combursome, is there a way to simplify that process?
    thanks

38. Dharma_raj

Dharma_raj

Hi,
    My animation is not playing again once i skipped it. how should I reset

thanks

39. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

This is a great idea toto, we will add it to our backlog, just for clarity:

Whats up coming in uSequencer
    1) Integrated Handy Cam / Shake
    2) Integrated Camera Transitions (Dissolve / swipe)
    3) Auto Updating, so I can provide instant bug fixes / Updates.

Regards,
    Terry

40. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Dharma,

Are you using Animation Timeline?

Regards,
    Terry

41. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey guys,

We're working on a new feature and thought we'd show you a sneak preview!

https://vine.co/v/OwpKMtwJ0PK

uSequencer + Substance integration. :)

Regards,
    Terry

bjornrun likes this.
  42. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

43. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey everyone!

I want to apologise for the lack of Euler support in Cutscene tools available to you and to let you know that we've just finished adding it to our latest version. We'll be uploading the build shortly, if anyone wants it now, simply send us your receipt !

support@wellfired.com

- Terry

44. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey Guys!

We're currently working on a new feature, integrated with uSequencers Observer Timelines.

Camera Transitions! We'll ship with the following options and add more at a later date.
    1) Dissolve,
    2) Wipe left,
    3) Wipe Right,
    4) Wipe Down,
    5) Wipe Up,

Here's a little Vine Preview! :D

https://vine.co/v/OD9WztYu0Fm

- Terry

45. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

As an added bonus to this, the transition API will be completely available for you to use in your game at runtime, so not only will you be able to use these transitions in your sequences, you'll also be able to use them anywhere else in your game! :)

- Terry

46. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

We're currently working on integrated HandyCam support, take a sneak peek with this vine.

https://vine.co/v/ODYgDbAKOXO

As well as implementing this, we'll also be providing you with a handy group of shake libraries that can be easily used outside of uSequencer! :)

- Terry

OnePxl likes this.
  47. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey guys,

We've just added some useful functionality to the sequence inspector. You can now open and edit the sequence, create prefabs and duplicate sequences directly from the inspector, as well as the usequencer UI, check it out!

Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 11.49.08.png

- Terry

48. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey guys,

here's a very basic uSequencer Overview for you. I'll follow this up with more videos going forward.

- Terry

OnePxl likes this.
  49. 00christian00

00christian00

Hi,
    This look impressive! Being a videomaker I love this.
    I am interested in buying it, but I saw there is a dll and I'm a little against compiled code in my game.
    Is that just for the editor or also for the playback?
    How does is the cutscene saved? As an xml or some other intermediate file?
    Can the same cutscene be applied to objects specified at runtime? Like anime fighting games(dragon ball, naruto), where you trigger a cutscene when doing a super move.

50. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello 00christian00,

I do have a source version available, for those who desperately need it, though I don't really encourage you to buy that version, hence the price is high, you can think of it more as a professional license for those who definitely need to modify source. I'd much prefer users bought the compiled version, the reason for this is that it's much easier for me to provide support to users who do not modify the source code, since I can replicate issues much easier. The other reason for the compiled version is that it allows me to provide users with the free version that can be switched out at anytime for the paid version with absolutely no work required to the end user, so you're free to evaluate until you launch in theory.

To answer your other questions, the cutscenes are saved as Unity objects in scenes or as prefabs, though we've had a number of users ask about JSON serialisation, and I am considering it, just currently weighing up the benefits to users vs the cost of maintenance.

At runtime, you can change any object that a sequence is affecting, I call this late binding and it can be done at runtime or edit time, through code, or with the UI. Everything is completely retargetable.

- Terry