Search Unity

Unity crashes when remaining in play too long while in Editor mode

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by chuk2bp, Jan 30, 2013.

1. chuk2bp

chuk2bp

Hey guys,

Weird problem here-- I've noticed if I leave Unity playing in editor mode for an extended period of time that Unity will crash when coming OUT of play in Editor mode. Everything continues to work properly while playing in Editor mode but, if its been playing for a few minutes then Unity will crash without fail after exiting play. As I mentioned, this is specifically reserved for the editor mode as far as I can tell, all of the web builds I've created thus far don't crash the Unity plugin...

Not really preventing me from being able to work, but it's quite annoying knowing that if you remain in play mode too long that you can expect a crash to follow!

2. propapandagames

propapandagames

I've never come across this. Just how long is "too long"?

Could it be a memory leak in your code? Can you reproduce the issue with an empty scene?

3. chuk2bp

chuk2bp

Nice idea with the empty scene test, Ill give it a go and let you know the results.

4. chuk2bp

chuk2bp

Ok, repeating with an empty scene and the problem no longer persists. A new thought, I'm using SmartFoxServer for the game Im building and I'm curious if prolonged socket connections could be the possible culprit instead... I'm fairly certain it can't be memory leaks as the code is relatively simple at this stage of development, and nothing fancy at that. Has anyone heard of issues in Editor mode with sustained socket connections?

5. 1984Games

1984Games

Did you find a solution to this? I have been getting this bug for the last few months and I cannot find a any solutions so far?

6. SethMeshko

SethMeshko

I had this problem It seemed to be related to me upgrading from Unity 5.2.1 to 5.2.3 and having lightmaps in the project. I know that doesn't sound like that could be responsible for Unity crashing while exiting playmode... Buuut anyway in an attempt to just clean things up and try to eliminate some potential complications I deleted all of my lightmaps and cleaned my GI cache. I don't know why that worked but that seemed to fix it. I had to rebake my lightmaps and Rebaking them had no affect on coming back out of playmode.