Search Unity

Unity Crashes on Startup with Strange Error

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Studio_Akiba, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

Every time I start up Unity I get this error:

Fatal Error!
    GetManagerFromContext: pointer to object of manager 'RenderSettings' is NULL (table index 18) UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGui()

After clicking OK, Unity crashes and brings up the error report window, if anyone else has had this problem, please help me fix it, I cant work on anything at the moment.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Kyle Briggs.
    Labyrith Studios.

Attached Files:

2. Limeoats

Limeoats

It looks to me like something within your Unity build got corrupted.
    I'd recommend simply re-installing the editor. This will guarantee that your installation is working.

3. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

That was the first thing I tried, complete wipe and re-install, I have checked to make sure it left nothing behind and reinstalled, it was working fine yesterday, and now today I cannot open up my project, I can open a previous one but not my latest one. It is strange because an exact copy of my latest project will open up no problem through my laptop with the same version of Unity, but not on my desktop, and most of my work is done on my main desktop, it has all of the modelling and texturing programs I need and its a pain to keep having to transfer stuff between machines every time I make or change something.

4. catena

catena

I get the same fatal error.

I can start unity but when I try to load a particular scene in my project it always crashes.

The first time I was trying the 4.6 version, so I thougt it was a bug. I've install the 4.5.3f3 but it crashes too.
    I have even tried with a previous one version of my project but it always crashes.

Attached Files:

DEGUEKAS likes this.
  5. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

Hi, Catena,
    Short answer, No, but we did manage to find a workaround, What has happened is your scene has become corrupted, forcing Unity to attempt to load some heavy code that doesn't exist, causing it to crash.

Me and my team now make duplicates of our scenes when they are working to make sure this doesnt happen, it has happened 3 times today where the original has caused this crash, and so we load from the backup scene, I have found no way to recover the scenes and it is very annoying, we didnt have this problem until now, and all of a sudden, it happens 5 times, I think we have both stumbled onto a little glitch in Unity 4, something that I hope will be gone in both the 4.6 Beta and 5.

Good luck, sorry I wouldn't be of greater help, and remember, Back up your scenes!

6. catena

catena

Hi, Kyle,

I really appreciate your intention.

I have lost all the work in that scene :( ... but I have learnt the lesson.

Thanks!

7. Limeoats

Limeoats

We've all been there. I once lost a scene I was working on for a very long time due to Unity randomly crashing and the scene getting corrupted.
    All I can say is save often, consider backing up your files, and hope this doesn't happen again!

8. catena

catena

Hi, limeoats,

It's always better knowing that I'm not the only one ;P.

Thanks!

9. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

has anyone got a bug number for this?

10. willtrax

willtrax

I am getting this same problem. Is anyone else using procedural materials (sbar) in the scenes in question? It seems like this could be the link for me.

11. catena

catena

Yes, I'm using procedural materials (sbar) in my scene with a GUI for it.

12. willtrax

willtrax

13. catena

catena

That's right!!!

The patch works (at least in my case...) and I have recovered my scene! :)
    I haven't any problems downloading the patch.

Thanks willtrax.

14. Aurore

Aurore

Oh cool, glad the patch sorted this issue. :)

15. morbidcamel

morbidcamel

Guys, I've downloaded Unity 4.6 BETA 17 & 18 and both still has this issue.... Is there any way we can get a patch for these? Or maybe like a patched DLL. I desperately want to finish my GUI code and still use procedural materials. Seems like such an odd choice I have to make?

16. Aurore

Aurore

There are no patches for the beta release, all the patches are rolled into a public release, the next one being on Thursday 11th of September (if all goes well in QA). So this public release will be rolled into the next 4.6 Beta.

17. thylaxene

thylaxene

I'm getting this with 4.6 beta20:

Fatal Error!
    GetManagerFromContext: pointer to object of manager '(null)' is NULL (table index 5)

This at the load project wizard at start up. Don't ever get a chance to load a project. Or use the bug reporter.

Yes I've tried clean re-install etc.

The only work around is if I delete my licence file and go through the online registration process. That gives me one session of using Unity. However as soon as I quit Unity same issue.

Any ideas?

marsonmao likes this.
  18. psimek

psimek

I've been having the same issue as thylaxene throughout all of the Unity 5 betas, its very time consuming to deal with this. I've had this very issue for v5 beta 12 & 13 chronically. Has anyone found a fix?

19. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

No fix as of yet, the problem is the scene defaulted to load when Unity starts up (the last scene saved) is corrupted.
    I have found that the most prominent cause of this to be the use of procedurally generated materials (sbars), the kinds of materials supplied by Allegorithmic.

However this is not conclusive, but rather appears to be a constant when replicating the problem.

As for the Unity5 beta, it also appears to be a scene or project corruption, possibly occurring somewhere in conversion from a previous version, or simply as a result of something like procedural materials again, or none of the above.

We have had to completely rebuild that scene from scratch without those materials, for now its best to stick to textures made by yourselves, or regular textures created by someone else, stay away from procedural materials for now until this if fixed, we have been looking for a fix to this for a while now, I think its just best to start from scratch with those scenes, we have not found any way to recover or restore these scenes, even by deleting the materials from the project, but we are still looking.

20. nafonso

nafonso

Hi,

I got this with 5.1 today, and in my case it happened right when Unity launched (so before showing the project list, not loading a project).

It seems that my case was related with Unity checking for updates, so to get around it I turned off network, opened unity, open the project and only then turn network back on.

Regards,
    Nuno Afonso
    http://www.fluxeditor.com

cory_munky, Griffo and Akta like this.
  21. Akta

Akta

Yes I can confirm that and thanks nafonso for the catch, it saved me a lot of headaches :)

22. Nicolas1212

Nicolas1212

Can also confirm the same problem and fix for nafonso.

Might also have been triggered by switching to an earlier branch in Git for our project (Unity was closed at the time, and the previous branch was using the last patch in the 5.0.x series, while I currently have 5.1.0p1 - when I re-opened, I had the error, even when switching back to HEAD)

23. marsonmao

marsonmao

Same here, but after clicking `Quit` and let Unity-crash-report come out and then closing it, I can start Unity again and it's working.

My error message is the same as thylaxene
    GetManagerFromContext: pointer to object of manager '(null)' is NULL (table index 5)

I got this error after a crash of Unity VS tool...not sure if it's related, though

24. Straw89

Straw89

Same here, thank you guys.

25. Griffo

Griffo

Same happened to me today done what nafonso said and it worked ..

26. kasulogamestudio

kasulogamestudio

Same here =(
    It is very odd, yesterday, everything working (I got some errors related to image effects, suddenly, but all fixed when I reimported the default image effects package) then, quit.... open today and... bang... same problem from nafonso
    EDIT: updated also to new Unity version and it fixed

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  27. rocket5tim

rocket5tim

I'm getting something similar when trying to open a project that was last opened about a year ago (can't remember what Unity version I was on back then, maybe 4.5). @nafonso's solution hasn't worked for me so far.

GetManagerFromContext: pointer to object of manager 'MonoManager' is NULL (table index 5)

28. rocket5tim

rocket5tim

Got around the error by loading up another project first and then opening up the old project once Unity was fully loaded. Also deleted all the monodeveop temp files and logged out of my account first (not sure if either of those had anything to do with the fix).

bluemike, Starya and skullthug like this.
  29. jakehaas

jakehaas

Thanks @rocket5tim! Your solution also worked for me. I was opening a project last touched by Unity 4 around 1.5 years ago.)

30. kpatelPro

kpatelPro

My teammate just got this error, and we were able to fix it by deleting the Library folder and letting Unity recreate it on launch. Good luck!

Andy-Block likes this.
  31. willjfield

willjfield

I had a bunch of un-committed changes that hadn't been made in my project's git repo. I added and committed and then it opened swell.

32. Develoop

Develoop

FIX: I had remove: Library, ProjectSettings, Temp (The project was made with Unity3D 4.6)
    Currently I'm using Unity3D 5.2 and when I removed the folders "bad message" disappear and I opened the project normally :)

Good Luck !

KaviAR_Tech and shaneparsons like this.
  33. TruffelsAndOranges

TruffelsAndOranges

Got this error in Unity 5.3 just now. Got it when unloading a scene when there was only 1 scene loaded. This is not a problem in 5.3.1 though, because it will throw an error that says it's not allowed to unload a scene when there is only 1 scene loaded.

=> my scene was not corrupt.

34. ddsinteractive

ddsinteractive

I received this error this morning on 5.3.4 opening an older project (Unity 4). Unplugged from the network to do the project upgrade and worked like a charm. Disconnect and work offline from the network to update the project and all is well again. Thanks!

35. petey

petey

Thank you! Saved me :)
    What a weird bug!?

36. peroon

peroon

First, I made a new project in Unity,
    then I opened another project,
    as a result, I succeeded to open.

37. VeTaL

VeTaL

Happened to me on 5.3.4p6 today, when i tried to open project made in older versions (to be precise, 5.2.2 and 5.3.2).
    Disabling the Internet solved the problem, thanks @ddsinteractive .

38. Wisteso

Wisteso

Happened with 5.3.4 today on OSX opening a project saved from 5.3.3. Working offline was not enough. Had to disable wifi.

@Aurore Not sure if you've noticed this error has resurfaced.

39. c-marrin

c-marrin

We saw this error today. Opening a file in 5.3.4f1 OSX that was created on 5.3.4f1 Windows. Disabling WiFi allowed the file to be opened.

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Happened to me with 5.3.4, @rocket5tim solution worked for me.

skullthug likes this.
  41. r618

r618

seems like this is happening after a fresh install immediately followed by opening offending project / scene
    the fix / workaround seems to be: open any other / new empty - project
    once the editor loaded new empty project and is running, open the previously crashing project from it
    - project starts to load normally ( yay - )

skullthug likes this.
  42. skullthug

skullthug

Had this happen to me today on my Mac and 5.3.4p5. Glad this thread exists.
    The error was
    Fatal Error GetManagerFromContext: pointer to object of manager 'MonoManager' is NULL

Got around it by disconnecting from the internet and launching the project.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  43. bluemike

bluemike

+1 for rocket5tim

44. LightStriker

LightStriker

Quite annoying. No clue how to fix it.

45. GallChi

GallChi

46. tmcthee

tmcthee

This has just happened to me in 2019