Search Unity

Unity Community Art Challenge - September 2014 - 1990's Platformer

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Sep 1, 2014.

1. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Specifically the lip curve going across the top teeth has a very jaggered point there and the horizontal center of the nose is forming a jaggered point. One or two loop cuts would really make a difference here but thats just my thoughts as well ;)

2. bradAnderson

bradAnderson

Greetings!!

Here's the lastest update. Still plenty to do and running short on time, so shall see how it ends up! Is it due by midnight on the 30th, and what timezone is the deadline?

Thanks!!

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  3. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  4. happs

happs

Here's my 2nd wip. Gonna wrap it up, not enough time to work on other characters. :(

Attached Files:

5. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@happs - Theme Hospital doesn't really fit into the theme of this Challenge. The theme is "1990's Platformer". Theme Hospital is more of a simulation :)

6. happs

happs

oic, thanks Thomas for letting me know. I didn't know that simulation game doesn't belong to this category. Well, at least I've learnt how to use the Sketch fab exporter from Unity :)

7. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@happs - Well at least you learned something ;) Our next Challenge is going to start this Wednesday so make sure to join this one!

happs likes this.
  8. IvanCoxa

IvanCoxa

my entry Sonic The Hedgehog 2

9. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@IvanCoxa - Thanks for your entry as well! Looks like Sonic was a popular choice in this Challenge!

10. IvanCoxa

IvanCoxa

First my handheld game console Sega Game Gear and game Sonic The Hedgehog 2, it was great game for me)

11. Yandalf

Yandalf

Just finished and uploaded my scene. Do we have to post links here as final submission?

12. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Yes please :)

13. Yandalf

Yandalf

Very well then, here comes!

14. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Thanks for your entry as well Yandalf! Good work :) Would perhaps have been easier to view if you have made two walls and no ceiling? Just my 2 cents.

15. aelbers

aelbers

I guess I won't be able to texture it in time... Btw - Does anyone know the game my diorama is based on?

16. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

@Situationist - At the moment, we only support custom lights from Blender, but we're working on it!

@kondrup - not sure about your shader, might be best to bake everything.

17. GIKKIO

GIKKIO

mah....,

for two days I tried to upload my work on Sketchfab.
    I went to meet a lot of problems.
    Problems with export both in Blender is in Zbrush,
    I tried to load my model "externally" but the upload limit (From you not reported in contest rules) blocked me any way.
    why say "there are no constraints of polygons and texture" if the system does not allow me to upload REAL models? does not support lighting, has the upload limit and does not stand the texture to even 2k?

Also problems with the server, and when I was able to load a model it was impossible to work on it in viewportdue to continuous crash site. (last asset have only 700.000 polys)
    Many many problems and the most varied.
    I worked a lot on this model, but I can not load maps even 512. :D
    I can only upload one CLAY exported as unique subtool, after losing as many as 3 weekends on a job that eventually made me lose time only.
    No textures, no shaders, no light, no normalmapping
    https://skfb.ly/BuqN

What can I say ... luckily that happened in a contest, I will never use Sketchfab to my work.
    But thank you for the great initiative.
    Maybe I will publish a "real" model, with shaders and lighting REAL rather than a toy on sketchfab.
    right to complete the work and the time spent on it.
    Sorry, but when it comes to work and time lost tend to be too "direct" and now are 6.00AM!!!

18. kondrup

kondrup

Ok, im done..

After trying to "bend" everything to accommodate Sketchfabs settings I kinda give up.

1. I cannot use my own shaders
    2. I cannot use lighting
    3. I cannot use psd files, so I had to convert all files to TGA.
    4. When I tried to import lightmaps sketchfab did not recognize TGA and I had to convert all lightmaps again to Png.
    5. Lightmaps does not work in UV channel 2? At least I cannot get them to work.

Thanks for a great competition but I don't think I'll be using Sketchfab in the future :)

Entry (no lightmaps):
    https://skfb.ly/Burt

19. Cubey

Cubey

No more time left to work on this so here's my final entry for everyone to laugh at :p

I had a couple of problems with the exporter -- the main one being that I had modelled my characters in a T-pose with armature, but the exporter always takes the base mesh and ignores the current pose. To work around this I had to modify the exporter to use the current armature pose for skinned mesh renderers. I couldn't get transparent materials to upload either so had to manually edit the material through Sketchfab after uploading.

(Getting lighting to upload was a bit of a pain too -- in the end I had to bake the lighting in Blender and upload the texture manually)

20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

YOU. ARE. KIDDING ME!!!

I only saw this today?! :(

21. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@GIKKIO - I am not sure why you didn't optimize/decimate your model a bit for uploading a 2.7m polygon monster? The rules state that you are free to use as many polys as you want (granted) but I've seen too many here abuse that freedom. Sorry to hear about your upload trouble and issues with Sketchfab. I am sure the Sketchfab guys will take a look.

@EVERYBODY - I think the next challenge will have a restriction in that regard ;) One should always try to optimize/retopo etc. After all this is game art (or is supposed to be) so things are indeed intended for realtime viewing. Everybody needs to keep that in mind.

@kondrup - Very awesome work there mate. Sorry to hear about your issues with Sketchfab. I pointed them to have a look at your issue as well.

@Cubey - Thanks for your entry. Looking good :)

@FuzzyQuills - New Challenge will be opened tomorrow!!

22. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Thomas Pasieka: Ooh, goody! Good timing too, as I am on school holidays right now! :)
    If i saw this earlier, I wouldn't have resisted dropping battletoads into this... :D

23. aelbers

aelbers

Generating textures....

24. Matthi

Matthi

Argh - "Good" thing I only tried to do that a few hours before the deadline..: I can't seem to get Unity working as smoothly as I had hoped. Lots of meshes are simply missing from the scene and all the textures are gone. I simply dragged my blender file into the assets of my unity project. I think I could fix the missing textures by hand, it seems they don't get copied into my assets when the importer runs. The missing meshes however make absolutely no sense to me. some are there, some are missing, but all objects nodes appear in the hierarchy. I could now either try to fix that problem... or I could try to finish some textures and then export from blender directly, but I guess that would be somewhat against the rules? :(

25. Matthi

Matthi

Ah, well ok - By exporting to another format from blender and importing that into unity, I have successfully imported all of my mesh data now. Fixing the texture assignments now.. I wish they would get bundled into the exported files :V

26. Matthi

Matthi

Wow, what an odyssey! :) Neither unity nor the sketchfab exporter for blender seem to like to work with blender files that have data "linked" from other files in them. It caused the missing meshes (in both the unity-export and in a direct export from blender). Maybe someone from each software dev team wants to have a look at that? :D
    Also, my light setup is gone. I tried several light types, but nothing was imported into sketchfab from unity. But standard lighting looks ok, I guess.

Enough ranting! Here is what I achieved over the past few days. :)

Thomas-Pasieka and aelbers like this.
  27. aelbers

aelbers

Importing my scene to Sketchfab was pretty inconvenient, but finally, after an hour strugglign with sketchfabs shadersettings, I managed to get it up.

It's the Actraiser Deception battle.

1:09:00

Thomas-Pasieka and Matthi like this.
  28. bradAnderson

bradAnderson

Greetings!!

Here's my entry! Best of luck to everyone, they turned out really great!

Thanks!!

29. pikpiak

pikpiak

Couldn't finish what I set out to do, but here's my contribution.
    Game: Castlevania Symphony of the Night ( PS1 )

30. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@Matthi - That turned out nice though! Hope the Sketchfab guys will look into matters! Love the composition of the scene. Thanks for participating!

@aelbers - Very nice entry as well! Never played that game but looks fun.

@bradAnderson - Congrats on finishing that piece :) Looking good.

@pikpiak - A real shame that you couldn't finish it in time! Maybe finish it regardless? Always good to have an extra portfolio piece ;)

Hurry up everybody! I will close this Challenge in 3 hours from now! New one will go up very soon! Stay tuned!

31. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

Thanks for so many great entries everyone! :)

I'm sorry for any technical problems with exporters and/or Sketchfab. We'll do our best to sort these out! :confused:

@Matthi - As long as you "Automatically Pack External Data into .blend" you can upload that file to Sketchfab (manually, via Upload button, if necessary), and it should include any linked files. We do support lights from Blender (but not Unity, yet...), and baking the lighting is always an option (see below).

@GIKKIO - We have many models with millions of polys and 2k, 4k, 8k, even 10k textures. The WebGL viewer is hardware accelerated, so the main limitation is users' machines and VRAM. There is, however, a 50MB per model limit on free accounts. The ZBrush exporter is able to decimate and bake textures for you, including normal and ambient occlusion, plus setting texture sizes. We support Blender lights natively, and other users are getting great results using Cycles + baking: http://blog.sketchfab.com/post/93098533264/baking-lighting-in-blender-cycles (we're hoping to do this natively in the near future).

@kondrup - We're working on better support for PSD and TGA files, but we've run into a few bugs at the moment. The Unity exporter doesn't support multiple UVs yet, which is why your lightmaps don't work as expected. We're working on a fix that would give us a lot more flexibility by changing the export format from OBJ to OSGT.

@Cubey - Again, we do support lights from Blender, but I'll take a closer look into this since you and others were having so much trouble with it. Yes, transparency can be a bit tricky, I'm glad you were able to use the Material Editor effectively.

I hope you all had fun, and it seems the majority were able to upload to Sketchfab as expected (with a bit of tweaking on one end or the other). I'd love to have a more detailed discussion about these things and troubleshoot some of the issues. Please drop us a line! support@sketchfab.com

Looking forward to the next contest!! :D

Matthi and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  32. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Alright so this Challenge has come to an end! It was great to see so many people participate here! Well done everybody!!! The 3 winners of this competition are as follows:

1st Place: @Matthi
    2nd Place: @Situationist
    3rd Place: @shaderbytes

Congratulations once again! The wonderful people from Sketchfab will get in contact with you!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    Sketchfab likes this.
  33. Situationist

Situationist

This was a very cool event. I hope to participate in the next one. Congrats to everyone.

34. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

Congratulations @Matthi @Situationist @shaderbytes !!! I'll be in touch shortly with details on your prizes.

All the entries were great, and lots of love for the 90s classics. Can't wait to see more :)

35. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

36. sama-van

sama-van

Theme Hospital???

37. leqsus8

leqsus8

looks like good