Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Community Art Challenge - September 2014 - 1990's Platformer

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Sep 1, 2014.

1. fuulynn

fuulynn

Is it okay to base my work on the game Aladdin? That was the only platformer game I actually played in the 90s when I was just a little kid XD.

2. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@fuulynn Yeah that sounds just fine. Little tip, Use the forum upload function if you want to show/post images.

3. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

@fuulynn Aladdin sounds really cool! Here is a bit of inspiration :)

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  4. aelbers

aelbers

My favourite SNES platformer.

5. Yandalf

Yandalf

Managed to squeeze some time out to get started on the actual work after the blockout, made the Spark enemy that tends to populate the level.
    I've also started a sketchbook thread on Polycount, I'll update this whenever I make progress as well.
    Polycount thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139963

6. Matthi

Matthi

Oh, so in the meantime, someone else already started a Jazz Jackrabbit themed one. :confused: I can't see that last picture of yours, though.
    I started with making the actual assets which I'm sure I will need. I figured this guy might come in handy when piecing together my diorama:
    Retopo Done.PNG
    There's no rule against using the same game as another entry, right?

7. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Good going everybody! Keep it coming!

@Matthi - That's a very nice model right there :) Looking forward to see updates!

8. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

Great to see new concepts coming up. Feel free to use Sketchfab to showcase your WIP as well :)

9. kondrup

kondrup

Found out about this competition yesterday and decided to pitch in (a bit late).. not sure if I have time to finish but the theme is just up my alley, so I had to give it a try.

Ren and Stimpy for SEGA megadrive and genesis (1993)

Progress this evening, will probably have more time tomorrow when there's no Champions League :)

...So many great titles to choose from (Pic from my SEGA collection)
    http://www.coindrop.dk/spiludvikling/skrivebord_resized.jpg

10. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@kondrup - Very awesome start right there and great game pic on top! Loved Ren&Stimpy cartoons back in the days ;)

11. Yandalf

Yandalf

Finished one of the tilesets I'll be needing here. CC welcome of course. BlackTilePresent.jpg

12. led2012

led2012

Here's my Wip , not yet in sketchfab , changed my chosen game to Metroid, instead of GunForce2XMario, (because of my job application as a 3D artist on a local game company :p)

Samus Being Badass

the realtime shot, with duplicated and inverted normals model trick

another angle

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  13. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@led2012 - Ohhhh that's looking pretty tasty already! This one gets me excited :)

led2012 likes this.
  14. Yandalf

Yandalf

Those metroids look pretty nice to me. Keep in mind that their internal organs are connected through some veiny meat, right now it all looks a bit too floaty in my opinion. Those balls inside them also seem to usually be at the "mouth" part (speaking of which, these have two mouths?), so I'd either move the balls or turn the metroids around (pointing to Samus with the larger fangs might give a better effect as well).

15. led2012

led2012

LOL, no need to be super accurate on the actual creatures hahaha :p I added more teeth things on top of the jellyfish body because I thought it would be cool

16. IvanCoxa

IvanCoxa

Working on same game is allowed ?

17. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Sure it is.

18. led2012

led2012

Here's Samus Aran, Still finishing the other scene elements ;):cool::D:rolleyes:

19. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@led2012 Very cool update mate. Dat Annotation tool....

20. led2012

led2012

haha :D I really enjoyed the annotation tool,

21. Situationist

Situationist

WIP images of my rendition. Very in progress at this point, but feel like I at least got a handle on how to proceed further. Going to do a remake of the Opera House from Tomb Raider II (1996).

I decided to approach it as a mixture of a more Earthy, realistic look (that an abandoned opera house would typically have) while paying homage to the tile-esque aesthetic of the original game. Paying attention to specific details in spots and replicating them in grid-like fashion. Its fun to reinterpret those old textures into rippled forms. The final plan is to have 3/4 of the area focusing on the stage enclosed, with hopefully the upper areas accounted for. Wanting to throw in as many homages as possible to the game. Already started by adding in the chandelier in the center to add more detail and make a call back to the previous level, 'Bartoli's Hideout'.

22. kondrup

kondrup

Maybe I am overlooking some idiotic thing, but I can't seem to get sketchfab to import corretly into Unity.
    In Unity it gives me this error(warning):

Assets/External Tools/SketchfabExporter/SketchfabExporterWindow.cs(91,24): warning CS0414: The private field `SketchfabExporter.param_password' is assigned but its value is never used

I'm using Unity 4.5.3 on Win7

23. Situationist

Situationist

Now to a point where I want to place some characters in and call it a diorama. I've always had issues uploading to SketchFab (and keeping lights) so hopefully that won't be an issue this time. My main decision will be how to represent the characters. I've considered doing them in the polygonal style, delierately in the 90s style which would be most fitting to the challenge. Also thought about going a little left field and simply representing them through 'shadows' cast on the open spaces of the diorama.

24. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

25. Situationist

Situationist

Alright, I think I'm gonna turn mine in! Embedded below. Direct link : https://skfb.ly/B8PA

Had a bit of trouble figuring out one last loophole, involving some flickering faces on the chandelier with involved a lot of upload retries. But got it finally. Also happier with the SketchFab look than I thought I would be. Lit it certain way in program, but satisfied after playing around with settings.

Can't wait to see everyone's final results.

26. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@Situationist Thanks for uploading your final entry! Sure hope to see you in the next Challenge as well! Where is everybody else with their entry? Any updates folks?

27. GIKKIO

GIKKIO

UP
    i work on the scene, convert the concept idea in a some mesh for Diorama.
    Directly convert that concept into diorama would not have had a good result.
    i work to integrate elements of the game in scene.
    base floor water and rocks (first level of game) second floow rooms and jail.
    I work on Characters now

28. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@GIKKIO - Very nice update/work there as well! Keep it coming. There is 8 days left yet everybody!

29. zelmund

zelmund

i just noticed about that chalenge =((

30. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Wow so many awesome art works rolling in ;)

Ok so I did another one - not an official entry but I did do everything from scratch so it could have been! I will post my reference images just now for those who dont know the game

31. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Here are my reference images :

You will see the swordsman taunting you, the coal pit, the stall, the person throwing pots out the window, the dude in the basket and lastly the palm trees. I took some artistic licence and made the scene be at night so the coal pit could give some nice lighting.

aladdin_screenshots.jpg

32. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@shaderbytes Another cool entry there Shaderbytes! Looks like you're on a roll ;) Hope to see you in the next Challenge as well! Can't decide if I like your Aladdin or Earthworm entry more...

33. kondrup

kondrup

Very nice Shaderbytes! I loved that game :)

Small update here. Not sure if I will have time to finish though, busy at work and no weekends atm.

34. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@kondrup - Those are some excellent models mate!! It would be a real shame if you couldn't finish it in time!

35. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

@Thomas Pasieka thanks
    @kondrup thanks! I am personally in between contracts atm (I freelance ) so I had nothing else to do ;) I agree with Thomas, great models so far. Sorry to hear you are so busy and might not finish ;(

Its a shame the custom background pro feature was not opened up somehow to competition entries, My art work feels robbed of been complete as I designed a custom blue night sky when doing my offline renders and became used to the look of it and then when doing the final sketchfab upload this was sorely missing. eg :

diorama_render_22.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  36. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@shaderbytes - Why don't you map that to a cube or sphere and invert the normals? That should work and would give you your own Skybox/Backdrop.

37. bradAnderson

bradAnderson

Greetings!!

Here's my progress so far, not much yet but hope to make improvements throughout the evening. I decided to go with Goemon from Mystical Ninja, one of my favorite platformers from the 90s. Right now just trying to get a feel for the proportions before I go into the next iteration.

38. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

@Thomas Pasieka The way the sky gradient is designed would not be possible with a skybox because of the moving camera, in this particular case it would need to be a static background... but anyway ;)

39. Matthi

Matthi

Unfortunately, I didn't do much those past days as well, work is getting stressful these days. Because of that, I can only share some preliminary texturing work - note that most of this is just bakes thrown together as I did not have time to manually correct things. Especially the turtle still needs a lot of manual work. Still, some critique would be great! JazzNTurtle.PNG
    And my interpretation of the hoverboard:
    Hoverboard.PNG

Attached Files:

kondrup and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  40. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@Matthi - That's some awesome work right there!! Love the character work even though you didn't have much time to invest. I think if you just defined the textures a bit more that would definitely help.

41. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Would love to see some updates folks! Come on :)

42. bradAnderson

bradAnderson

Greetings!!

Restarted and just about wrapped up the base mesh. I hope to finish him up later today then work on the environment tomorrow, down to crunch time! Almost ready for the sculpting and retopo phases.

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

43. aelbers

aelbers

44. kondrup

kondrup

small update.
    I used a custom shader for the characters.. not sure if that will work with sketchfab? I will make a test tomorrow.

I had a few other idea for this and I would have liked to make a more action-like pose for the characters but time is the devil here :)

Environment is modelled and unwrapped, rdy for textures.

Inspiration images (from the Ren and Stimpy SEGA game)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  45. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

@kondrup wow the guys are looking cool in their pose and the scene looks sweet as well.

For the custom shaders its a no go as far as I have experienced with using sketchfab. It supports using image maps like diffuse,spec,normal,emission,emit,lightmaps and has some sliders to adjust the influence of each type. It also has some HDR sources you can use for IBL and for each material there is a reflection slider.

I opted mostly for baking full image renders into the models and using a shadeless setting. I mean the entire scene is static and there is only one scene. This give you freedom to use as many light sources as you need, you can do high rendered shadows/AO etc.

Here is another art work I finished 2 days ago where all lighting is baked into the texture and sketchfab set to shadeless.

46. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

@kondrup Dont be shy to up the poly count on your characters to make them more smooth. I dont mean super high like sub surf but rather just add a few more edge loops on all curved areas and smooth them out ;)

47. Kokusho

Kokusho

Hi everyone ! my name is Yann and here's my entry :)

This guy needs no introduction, he is the poster boy for 90' plateformer, he's Sonic the Hedgehog.

1990 Platformer - Yann - Final Entry by Yann on Sketchfab

It may sound a bit uninspired to use such a classic video game but to me Sonic 1 was my very first video game, I still remember the day when my grand father bought me the genesis at the supermarket with this game, it's one of my earliest memory.
    Without this game, I, most likely, wouldn't be making this today.

So I choose the scene from the game Sonic and Knuckle 3, when you fight Mecha Sonic at the end of Sky sanctuary zone while he use the master emerald's power to power up to super mecha Sonic....yup it was pretty badass back then to have such cool scenes in a video game. Originaly you play as Knuckle at this moment but I went with Sonic cause, well, it's Sonic.

Also here's some wip pictures I took during the making of this.

First blocking the scene.
    DIORAMA_test_02.jpg

Then I do Sonic, with a simple rig to move him.
    Sonic.jpg

Mecha Sonic is the next in line.
    mecha.jpg

Finally I create the last remaining assets, and I do a stupid amount of light baking. Because lightning is awesome!
    elements.jpg

That's all for me, I hope you like it :)

48. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

nice scene from a great game @Kokusho congrats

49. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@kondrup - That is some excellent work right there mate! The textures really bring those two to life! Models look awesome as well and I really don't think you need to go any higher with the poly count. The shapes read nicely. The scenery is also done very well and fits/blends it perfectly. Now I really have to see this FINISHED!

@Kokusho - Nice work there as well. Lighting seems a bit flat but that's just my opinion :)

Very awesome to see folks participate in this challenge! Didn't expect that many to take part but glad you guys did! The new Challenge will start on this upcoming Wednesday!

50. happs

happs

I just noticed this art challenge today, hope I can make it on time. I like theme hospital, so here's my wip and reference image
    theme_1.JPG reference.jpg