Search Unity

Unity Community Art Challenge - May 2015 - The Shroom Of Doom

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, May 3, 2015.

1. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Unity Technologies is happy to announce it's next "Unity Community Forum Challenge"! Everybody is welcome to join in and show other fellow artist what they can do and compete for the First Place!

This months Challenge is themed "Shroom Of Doom". This could be your typical poisonous mushroom in a patch of grass or maybe it's a basked full of Mushrooms that will lead to your doom? There is a lot of room for interpretation here! Use your imagination! Impress us with your creativity and imagination. Let's see something new and fresh!

As a result we want to see a beautiful small Diorama/Turntable of your version of a "Shroom Of Doom"

Post Work in Progress Screenshots or even use Sketchfab to present your work in progress. See rules below.

1. Participants will have till the end of the month (May, 31th) to submit their Final Entry

2. Final Entry must be a "Diorama/Turntable" showcasing the theme "Shroom Of Doom". We ask that you use Sketchfab to post your final result here on the forum.

3. Polycount Limitation for this Challenge is 6.000 Vertices. Only ever use as many polygons as necessary to define a shape! This is a game art challenge after all! Make use of normal maps etc to give your textures/meshes more detail.

4. You can use normal maps, specular maps etc to enhance your work visually. Perhaps try to combine textures onto one texture sheet if possible for efficiency, however it's not a requirement. There is no restriction on how many textures you can use but keep in mind that this is a game art challenge so don't go too crazy.

5. Entrants must post at least 1 WIP (Work in Progress) Screenshot before submitting their Final Entry. We suggest you post more and get feedback! Please visit https://help.sketchfab.com/hc/en-us/sections/200485707-Uploading-3D-Models for further information on how to use and upload to Sketchfab.

6. Your final entries must be submitted through Sketchfab. Please tag your final submission with: "UCAC9".

7. No previous work can be used. This essentially means that you should create everything from scratch!

8. No nudity or gross violence please! Keep it clean and fun for everyone!

This month, Davit Naskidashvili and the fine folks from Sketchfab are sponsoring our contest! The winners will receive the following:

1st Place : Mesh Materializer & Subsurface Scattering Shader Voucher and 1 Year of Sketchfab Pro and Cardboard VR

2nd Place: Mesh Materializer & Subsurface Scattering Shader Voucher & 1 Year of Sketchfab Pro

3rd Place: Mesh Materializer & Subsurface Scattering Shader Voucher and 6 Months of Sketchfab Pro

We hope to see many of you participate! Let's get this started!

Thomas Pasieka

2. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

It's honor to be the sponsor of this great challenge.
    Good luck to everyone taking part!

3. whileBreak

whileBreak

Awsome, I'll be trying to come up with a good concept. Good luck to all of you!

xenius and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  4. xenius

xenius

Now here's a theme I... um... maybe.. kinda... sorta... um... have some relevant experience for.. um.. *looks to the side then down*. :)

Rafmorais and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  5. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I really hope to see LOTS of you participate in this one. I would myself if I had the time :p This sure is a fun one. Remember, these challenges are not just good for your portfolio but also serve as a way to "expose" yourself. I know for a fact that some here have gotten jobs due to their entries/artwork displayed here! Bring it on folks!

Thomas

raven99 and xenius like this.
  6. dreamhead

dreamhead

wel count me back in cant wait to start one this one :)

7. Cubox_10

Cubox_10

This is a tricky one.... i hope i got enough inspiration and imagination for this round. at least i'm on time right now :)

randomperson42 likes this.
  8. Yensoo

Yensoo

Is there a limit of one entry per person?

9. JKMS

JKMS

Nope Yensoo .

10. Avenger84

Avenger84

This will be a fun one gonna join in from the start make use of all the time instead of rushing to get something done last minute

11. dreamhead

dreamhead

I worked out a idea to start off from :)

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    raven99 and Cubox_10 like this.
  12. NomadKing

NomadKing

Hmmm shrooms... *tries hard not to think of Mario*

As a side note, I noticed that the Art Challenge link on the main forum index still points to one of the old contests. With so many stickies from the previous contests, maybe it's time for a generic UCAC sticky with a bit of general info about the contest and links to the current / past contests, of course keeping the current contest stickied for visibility as well!

13. Avenger84

Avenger84

Lol exactly what I was thinking my concept has a Mario theme to it.

raven99 likes this.
  14. raven99

raven99

I might add Plants vs Zombies. ..I like the shroom of doom theme.

Avenger84 likes this.
  15. Cubox_10

Cubox_10

Fast sketch of my Shroom of Doom concept.
    The idea is a evil shroom with a huge armor to conquer the world!

Attached Files:

raven99 and Avenger84 like this.
  16. BurnTheHorses

BurnTheHorses

Simply put, Shrooms of DooM. DooM enemies (In this case the Cacodemon and the Imp) realized as different kinds mushrooms! My entries thus far haven't really been a full composition of different elements to make a real diorama, so I aim to change that this time. May the best piece win!

ShroomsOfDoom.png

17. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

Haha nice theme for a comp! I'll try to find some time to participate aswell. Nice concepts so far people!

xenius likes this.
  18. xenius

xenius

Damn @BurnTheHorses Slammin right into sculpting eh? those look terrifying already...

19. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

So, I'm going after something like this, http://www.conspiracyclub.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Atomic-Bomb-Wallpaper-HD.jpg . I was doing a few 3D concept art to try to get something in place and have some more ideas, what do you guys think? Just imagine if an Amanita Mushroom would explode.... the damage...

http://i.imgur.com/OOWp02W.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/JiPZ2jM.jpg
    I want to make a few trees, houses, cars and whatever I can to populate this scene. I wanna try this lowpoly art style for this entry.
    Nice theme by the way!

xenius, Cubox_10, NomadKing and 2 others like this.
  20. dreamhead

dreamhead

cool idea maybe you can do mushroom city and then in the distance you see that mushroom cloud

Rafmorais likes this.
  21. dreamhead

dreamhead

i went for a fat ugly poisonous mushroom,and later on i wil add like green poisonous slime oozing from this guy

Attached Files:

raven99, NomadKing, Rafmorais and 2 others like this.
  22. essimoon2

essimoon2

Wow that's an interesting theme! :O Pretty curious already what people come up with :) Gonna take a break this month since it'S busy with work, so good luck all and hope you have fun!

23. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Rafmorais likes this.
  24. Bezoro

Bezoro

Hopefully this makes sense?
    shroom of doom2-1.jpg

25. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

@Bezoro Nice concept! really looking foward to see this idea in 3D! :cool:

26. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Oh cool ... I try to participate, this time. :)

Rafmorais and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  27. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Any more willing to put themselves to the test!? Come on folks, don't be shy! Let's see what you can come up with!

raven99 and Rafmorais like this.
  28. xenius

xenius

I'll have my concept sketches on here this weekend :)

raven99 and Rafmorais like this.
  29. thehood

thehood

I just started with my idea. Shroom eats earth.
    Hope that I'll have the time to finish it and make it epic :)

30. Cubox_10

Cubox_10

@thehood that looks amazing man !! maybe some Galaxy particles/Gloom in his back?
    like he came through a portal from another dimension.

I'll need to get started again. I got distracted while working on my shroom of doom :p Sooooo I need my inspiration back!

31. ppg

ppg

Looking good all
    hope to join some time soon :)
    this shroom is mind bugling for me..LOL

32. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Still Early days but here is the start of my scene. Its will be an elves inn .. or is it? Something else is waiting inside! Rotating the diorama will reveal the doom of this shroom ;)

render_7.jpg

33. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

added some door detail and lighting , some grass and started doing a well. I then worked on the scene mood - designed the backplate, reduced the HDR lighting intensity for an evening feel and finally altered coloring etc via the compositor ( slight overlay and rgb curve )

render_10c.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    overthere, Avenger84 and NomadKing like this.
  34. Avenger84

Avenger84

my first WIP. This is one of the props for the whole scene

@shaderbytes that is looking really nice :)

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX likes this.
  35. capodraven

capodraven

Hi everybody! this time I've got more time to finish my entry for this one. So here is a first Wip. Enjoy!

MoD_wip001.jpg MoD_wip001.jpg

36. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

@Avenger84 thanks, most of the textures were just place holders , I have already replaced the flooring and rock walls with new custom textures ;)

I see you are going for a military theme.. need to retopo and normal map that machine gun now ;)

@capodraven great sculpt , looking forward to see it in context.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    Avenger84 likes this.
  37. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Hey All Ive finished most of the front and have baked and tested my progress so far on sketchfab. I wanted to do an underground witchs' lair carved into the back with pet spider waiting in the top of the shroom with web in the shaft to catch travellers who fall in. A nice spiral staircase going up to a platform where the witch collects those captured... but since there is a 6000 vert limit I guess I can only do the spider for a qualifying entry. I will probably flesh out the scene as mentioned after the comp.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  38. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

@Thomas Pasieka

Do you think we could have a few of the comps with a higher limit? Of coarse I still mean within the idea of it being a game art challenge like perhaps some can be 25k or 50k for example. This months limit is even less than last month, I fully understand having a restriction so people do think, optimize and make use of mapping. In the first comp without a limit we had several entries that were close to just being offline rendered scenes uploaded so you don't want that happening again of coarse.

Back to the point , the rules mention :

but of coarse this only holds true for surface shape, no amount of mapping can produce an objects outer shape , eg :

shape_sample.jpg

My post and request is fueled by realizing I can't fully build the idea I had in mind for my current entry. 6000 is not enough to finish my scene without making horrible decisions on shape to try squeeze something in .. having to choose "mirror A" when artistically I wanted to choose "mirror B"

Anyway Im just thinking out loud here , I like a good debate but also wont be offended if the topic is not open to debate.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  39. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@shaderbytes - Well that's why it's called a challenge :) Looking at your entry I see quite a few areas that could do with optimization and save you a bit of verts you could spend elsewhere. Also, make sure to properly clean your meshes so you don't have any floating verts which raise your count.

40. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Thanks a challenge indeed ;) Yup the stalks under the green plants were going to be removed once I hit the limit. There are several white flowers (used a particles system ) that can be removed from intersecting with the well and under some green plants as pointed out thanks. There might be some super small ones hiding about as well as I used 3 different weight painted surfaces for distribution/scaling and its very possible the system could attach something in the nano weight areas, I will hunt for those as well.

I dont believe these shavings will really get me out of the red for all I wanted so im sure all I can add is just the spider and his web and flat paint the inner walls of his hive. A 3D skeleton or two would have been nice ;) I dont want the spider to have a low poly outer shape as well. no normal mapping can fix that. Anyway thanks for the input I will make the best I can in 6000 ;)

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  41. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

I got my spider finished for a grand total of 817 verts. Instead of a regular high to low bake, it was a 3 model process, sculpt to regular bake down (top spider ~4000 verts) then regular to low poly (bottom spider)

spider_render_compare.jpg

42. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@shaderbytes Spider is looking cool :) Keep it coming!

Where is everybody else at!? Don't be shy guys...

43. mejiasan

mejiasan

I have an idea of some mushroom-nymph that will seduce it's prey and take it to its doom :p
    I'm working on a concept first.. then i'll be modeling.

Attached Files:

ppg likes this.
  44. Serinx

Serinx

Hey Guys,

Here's a little sketch I did of a cartoon-ish character made of mushrooms.

I'll base my model on this but will probably make a lot of changes and give him some weapons :)

Reference.png

45. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I suggest picking a different "idea" as we have pretty clear rules about sexual/violent content.

Thanks

46. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

Hi folks! here is my idea for the shroom of doom theme. I like character creation and stuff so i think this is a good chance to keep learning and get some feedback.:)

Attached Files:

47. capodraven

capodraven

@shaderbytes Thank's! here comes the final sculpt. now I'm working on the retopology for the lowpoly model. only 6k vertices it's.... a challenge ^^

MoD_wip005.jpg
    Here we are some great entries!!! I'll need to be competitive on this one! ;) well done everybody

hippocoder, Bezoro, NomadKing and 7 others like this.
  48. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@EMMANEMSAURIO REX - Nice idea/concept :) Let's see it happen!

@capodraven - That is looking most excellent right there! Nice sculpt! Did you do a base mesh before sculpt?

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX likes this.
  49. ikomnen

ikomnen

I am in it also,just to turn this concept art into 3d.
    "Just",...

50. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@ikomnen Now those look cute :) Looking forward to seeing something in 3D!