Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Community Art Challenge - December 2014 - The Christmas Ornament

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Frogames

Frogames

Here is my finished entry, including anotations!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    MrSoad, raven99 and Sazem like this.
  2. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

WIP Update - will be cutting this one close - Hi poly model done!

MrSoad and SphericalPenguin like this.
  3. Sazem

Sazem

I finished too. Final result 3,7k verts.

Fixed from last entry:
    -Material for the "hanger" in top of the sphere
    -Fixed the blackdoor, now has the texture showing too
    -Cleaned the snow inside the house
    -Added more raining snow particles
    -Added the frozen texture to the window

I just updated the old Sketchfab but here is the link again :)

Good luck everyone!! I think we all are eager to win the Pro license :D

VanuVamp, Kirk Zhar and nasos_333 like this.
  4. dox

dox

Hi again!

Finally I made all 3D models and implemented them into the Unity3D engine. So this is how it looks in Unity. Right now I'm working on creating the same feeling and quality in Sketchfab. It has 4.3k vertices. All lights are baked into textures. :) It looks cool in Unity3D, especially after I added Snow Particles. Shame there's no option of making animations in Sketchfab :)
    Hope you like it !

Cheers,
    dox

5. Teessider

Teessider

Another WIP...I will be cutting this fine but hopefully I will get this done! :D

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

First submission is finilized :)

Fairy Christmas: Energy of Unity

EDIT:

And this is the WIP for the 2ond submission, nearing the end

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  7. minnalya

minnalya

Hey everyone! Nice to see everyone doing their best for the unity pro license :3 I'm quite late to join the fight, but I had an idea, so I wanted to try ;)
    My concept is drawn by pencil and paper and I couldn't find a chance to scan it yet, so you have to bear with my description and WIPs for now.
    I decided to do a ghibli themed christmas ornament. As you can see in the wip pictures it is going to be a "my neighbour totoro" christmas treetop ornament. I tried to keep the shape close to the original christmas treetop decorations, and therefore built a stylized version of satsuki's and mei's house to be the middle part with a huge snow cone on the roof and totoro sitting on top of it.
    As you can see I'll be adding the small totoros (I don't know their names..) too. I'll have them and a few makuro kurosukes walking around the house. Well, and then get it (hopefully) textured real quick xD
    So let's see if I'm fast enough to join the final battle with all of you ;)
    UAC_wip1.JPG UAC_wip2back.JPG UAC_wip2front.JPG

8. cloverse

cloverse

My final entry: Platypus trapped in a snowball. I don't really satisfied with the result, but I hope you like it!

Sazem likes this.
  9. cloverse

cloverse

Sweet, I like Totoro!

10. mindlessblahs

mindlessblahs

Ooookay, time is definitely running out! :confused:

This is my progress so far, next is unwrapping and texturing. I am still really slow with blender (we used 3Dsmax at our university), but I guess I am getting there. I never rigged or skinned anything in blender before, though, so that's going to be...interesting ;)

character02.PNG

raven99 likes this.
  11. cloverse

cloverse

Another version of my entry, with green scarf and hat, and clovers! Because I love green and clovers! Cheers!

raven99 and Kirk Zhar like this.
  12. Kirk Zhar

Kirk Zhar

My final! Wish everybody good luck!

raven99 and VertexFiend like this.
  13. bobbert234

bobbert234

Here is some of my progress. I really wanted to do a Monument Valley themed ornament because it's made with Unity and one of my favorite games ever. This is like a 5th attempt at an impossible triangle, I'm getting closer, but it looks awful if it's not at the perfect angle. I might try a different design. Right now the faces of the beams are all turned inside to give it the illusion if that made sense.
    MonumentProgress.png

14. ludiares

ludiares

Hey people,
    I've been trying to participate in the latests art challenges, but never found the time. And even now that I'm participating, I'm entering it way too late, but I hope to get it done by tomorrow.

Anyways, here's my idea:

It's an ornament depicting the traditional snowy mountain town that's more or less inexistent nowadays. No colors or anything yet. I'm going to work on details+normalmaps+textures now.

15. Batuque

Batuque

Hello, everyone!

After some days out from the project, my final entry (I think :confused:) is here.

It's intended as a plastic decoration that hangs from the Christmas tree from the upper end of the "plant" which hangs Donkey Kong.

The changes made since the last WIP are:
    •Textured the barrel and the tie, re-maped the Donkey Kong model and added normal maps to the barrel, the main character and its hat;
    •Changed the old ribbons for new better looking models;
    •Added some more leaves;

Happy new year and good luck to everyone!

PS: Does somebody know how to avoid these seams?
    :eek: _nrm.PNG _txr.PNG
    The texture looks good, but the normal map not. I think that I know why it happens but I don't know how to prevent this. A global normal map may be the solution but it doesn't work within sketchfab.

Sorry for my English :p

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
    SphericalPenguin and cloverse like this.
  16. ThomasGh

ThomasGh

Hey guys.
    Been thinking of joining this for a while now. Finally decided to make something yesterday.
    I had a simple idea in my head and this is the result. Because of the limited time I had to go with some simple texturing. I'm fairly glad with the result.
    I know there are still some errors (like the seam on the Pole). I might fix them tomorrow, if not than this will probably be my final submission.

Here are some of the work in progress images/ sketchfabs I forgot to upload yesterday.

-Sketchfab wip:

And the current final:

Thanks for the competition and good luck to the other contestants! :D

Thomas-Pasieka, VanuVamp and raven99 like this.
  17. SorceryStory

SorceryStory

Been watching this thread since the beginning and I must say, you guys have some awesome ideas!

I'm in the process of trying to finish mine on time!

Here are a few images of my process!

Concept:

High Poly Sculpt:

Retopologizing!

And here's what I have right now!

I'm trying to rig her right now so I can make the rest of the model from the concept (or something close to it) and finish it! Going to be a close call! :p

Batuque and raven99 like this.
  18. essimoon2

essimoon2

Wow an avalanche of awesome new entries! :O
    That's great, I'm on the finishing line, too. Or at least I hope so.
    Uploaded my entry to sketchfab now for the first time. Beware it might take some time to load everything. Still new to this ^^;

Stuff still to do:
    - Work on the materials, they look like someone attacked the ornament with a glossy-gun
    - Find out how alpha blending works in Sketchfab. The poor sheets of music look like the Grinch burned them :(
    - Create proper lightmaps. In my first try the uv shells were clearly visible. Gotta try to dilate the maps and see if it works :/
    - Create separate lightmaps for the transparent objects. They overlap to save texture space but guess I gotta make a secondary unwrap for the lightmaps.
    - Optimize the whole thing. It takes way too long to load in sketchfab so guess I gonna try a quarter of the current texture resolutions. If it still looks good, gonna go with it.

This is really getting exciting, I'm happy to see so many great entries on the finishing line. Good luck to everyone for the final hours! :)

Sazem likes this.
  19. Alejandro Galindo

Alejandro Galindo

Hi this is the final model, as I say before, this is a reference based on the old christmas ornaments made in glass by artisans, so I hope you like it guys and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year for every one! :)

20. ludiares

ludiares

I've done the first pass at texturing and normal mapping, I'm still not happy with the stone and the snow, and there are still some problems on the other materials. I hope to solve them tomorrow. Anyways, here it is the newest version:

Edit: For some reason, it doesn't work on safari, but does on chrome, even though WebGL is activated in safari. Sorry if somebody can't see it

21. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hello everyone,

I've been working on this idea for a while, but wasn't sure if I would be able to finish it on time. Now I am sure, so here are some WIP images from the early stages of modeling.

I'll post the final model in Sketchfab asap.

Sazem likes this.
  22. raven99

raven99

I like your work in progress! Your ornament looks terrific!

23. raven99

raven99

addingHair.jpg Here is my work in progress.

24. raven99

raven99

figureandTree2.jpg figureAndTree.jpg Even though I planned to develop a low poly model of my ornament as a carved wooden figure that just got animated in time to grab the tree branch, I had planned to explore blender's materials and particle system, but I managed to get surprised anyway. When I uploaded my model all of the materials lost their generated textures and the tree has been stripped of it particle needles! Any advice would be welcome, although I don't think I have enough time to act on it. :(

25. DominoOne

DominoOne

Hi again,

Here is my entry. I would call it a "Christmas Trophy" :) The basic idea is that someone beheaded an orc and made a Christmas ornament out of it!

I really wanted to make something based on a game character and try to be creative with the topic. I also hadn't modeled an orc before, so I thought that a satyric representation of one would be rather fun in the given context.

The technical goal for me personally was to make something detailed, so that I could bake normal maps, etc. and not only learn something in the process (which I definitely did), but also have fun doing it (which I did, too :) ).

The final model contains ~2100 vertices (and ~3900 triangles). Here is a 3D preview:

I wish everyone a Happy New Year!

26. makibara

makibara

Oh no! no time to work on this and post wips. o_O
    I am making a santa claus robot master that shoots presents. :D

Attached Files:

27. VanuVamp

VanuVamp

Heya guys,

Wow, lots of awesome stuff flooding in. Great to see. I started on another ornament but don't know if I'll get time to finish it. Time is almost up! Thought I'd put up what I got.

28. jvico89

jvico89

29. SorceryStory

SorceryStory

Well, after a few hours fiddling about, and after cutting a few things, I finally managed to upload something I'm happy with!

I give you Moonie!

Good luck to everyone on the contest and Happy New Year!

Thank you so much! Hope you like the finished model too! :D

shaderbytes likes this.
  30. bobbert234

bobbert234

All done!

Figured out the media embedding thing on the forum too :)

This was really challenging but I figured it out and I'm happy with how it ended up.

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

The final entries, themed "Fairy Christmas".

Fairy Christmas: Homecoming - The need for Unity
    Ornament depicting the grown Mushroom Fairy, coming back to her home in Christmas to be together with her little sisters. The fairies are grown from the mushroom, pretty much like flowers. (from the Fairy Lore as described in the "Stories of the Tall Mountain").

Fairy Christmas: Energy of Unity
    The gentle energy flows that connect Fairies when they get in Unity for Christmas.

shaderbytes likes this.
  32. Sazem

Sazem

Wow! So much great stuff... :O

DominoOne, Really nice orc head! That would be scary to have really hanging in your xmas tree :D I think when the hired Santa Claus comes to visit, he would freak out haha :D

33. Trideka

Trideka

I'll have you know, I only finished this at 5:48am whilst half my face has quit on me and has fallen asleep.

This was primarily inspired by some very old Christmas decorations an aunt of mine made, with a carved diorama inside an egg, as well as inspiration taken from Faberge eggs.

All hand painted textures. While SketchFab reports the model is 5k exactly, in my modeling program its about 20 verts short of that.

Shaded.png

Texture Closeup 1.png
    Shadeless closeup of texture work.

Off to sleep for 80 hours. Best of luck to everyone. Some really beautiful stuff in this thread!

Evil_Moo, Kirk Zhar, Frogames and 2 others like this.
  34. essimoon2

essimoon2

Fiiiinalllyy.. it's done! x.x
    Summary:
    My initial idea was to make something that looks self-made. I ended up with this shape carved from a piece of wood which holds a small diorama with presents in a sac and candy canes.
    Everything is embedded in a cracked shell of a walnut and lit by a tiny star hanging from the base shape of the ornament.
    For the Christmas feel there's also a mistletoe and sheets of Christmas songs next to the sac with presents. ;)
    The wooden ornament has some branches carved at the bottom where you can knot a cord to hang up additional christmas items.

It's also my first try at hand painted texturing. Hope you like it :D

I'm really glad it's done now, literally worked day and night this week to get it up in time. Good luck to those who are still working on theirs and a happy new year to everyone!

Trideka and Frogames like this.
  35. koffeinvampir

koffeinvampir

Aight people.
    As usual, I wanted to do much more, got in a hurry because of holidays and so on. But here he is, XM4S, the bot out of the ornament. Hope that counts ;)

Have a great new year everyone!

36. ludiares

ludiares

I think I'll consider this one as the finished version, but I'm not happy with the bottom yet. I've gone for a hand painted/toony approach for the rocks and the snow on the mountains, and it looks much better than before, imo. Anyways, here it is:

37. Kirk Zhar

Kirk Zhar

I don't know much about sketchfab but I notice that when u zooming out u can see a seams on a model. I fix that by using filtering type bilinear on each map(normal or diffuse).

Trideka likes this.
  38. Frogames

Frogames

@Kirk Zhar thank you for the tip, very useful!

39. awesomeliquidbear

awesomeliquidbear

Hey guys
    Here is my final entry for this competition. It is a metal gear esque turkey out for revenge at christmas time!
    Had good fun with this one!
    Took inspiration from movies like chicken run as well, for the overall style of the character. So i wanted to keep the clay like feel of the character and not over detail him.
    Best of luck everyone who entered! some great pieces here so far <3

40. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

Awesome to see so many great entries! Good luck with polishing your final details and for the last day of submission. You can play with our camera filters and annotations to pimp your final entry. Please make sure to tag your model UCAC4 in Sketchfab so that it appears in the related tag search: https://sketchfab.com/tags/ucac4

Feel free to reach out anytime to hello@sketchfab.com if you need help to get the result you are looking for in Sketchfab.

Below a model we did for last year's Christmas season :) Good luck!

Batuque, Sazem and Trideka like this.
  41. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

Basic scene in Blender :

Concept in ZB:

Model création with ZSpheres:

Sculpt from zsphere :

Retopo in Zb :

Details projection in low poly model with XNormal

Final montage in Blender :

Trideka likes this.
  42. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is the challenge end in California time ?

43. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

Final entry :

Sketchfab is really nice
    Good luck everyone and Happy New Year !

Trideka and Evil_Moo like this.
  44. bobbert234

bobbert234

Ok now it's finished for real. I added glow for the moon and added stars, more textures like bricks and floor tiles, subtle bump map, reduced vertices, added annotations. When I started this I wasn't sure if it would even be possible to make, but I couldn't be happier with it now!

As a bonus, I made another version that incorporates the Unity logo :) However the lack of color makes the cube less apparent so I'm showing both.

Best of luck everyone, lots of great submissions!

45. dox

dox

Hi everyone this is my final entry ! Below you can see a Sketchfab preview and concept art at the bottom !

Happy New Year for Everyone ! Great entries, it sure will be a tough decision !
    Use adnotations to check different view agles. Make sure to check out the bottom of the globe :) !

Cheers,
    dox

Thomas-Pasieka and Frogames like this.
  46. mindlessblahs

mindlessblahs

Okay, learning a new software while in a bus heading to another country is a reaaaally bad idea. For some reason, I can't seem to get alpha transparency to work in sketchfab even though I've tried everything :( So no transperency for me, but white space on the texture. She was supposed to catch snowflakes in a snowglobe, but even though the model is there, without transperency it doesn't work...so use your imagination ;) It was fun nontheless....happy new year everyone!

47. Dinopuncher

Dinopuncher

Its finally done! My ornament is a carved whale tooth. The idea is that a sailor in the 1800s carved this while spending Christmas at sea. The sleigh is designed to look like an old whaling ship. St. Nick resembles northern explorers and frontier-men who could be seen at port. The sleigh is being pulled by walrus because the humble sailor who carved it had never seen a reindeer.

I wanted to challenge myself with this model and to my surprise working with 2 levels of abstraction (modelling a carving) was very difficult. I wanted to be sure not to model in anything that couldn't actually be carved. You may notice that areas behind Santa's legs are solid and the carved pieces are not just sitting on top of the tooth. Also, having a twist on a curve as the main feature of the model made life more difficult than i expected as tool handles were pointing all over the place.

This was a great way for me to try and get better at the 3d art pipeline and I had a lot of fun. The competition is fierce. Everyone has done a great job! Hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.

Here are some WIP shots

Final Model:

ludiares and VertexFiend like this.
  48. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

49. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Santa's New Ride - UCAC4

Wow! It is really exciting to see all of the amazing entries this month! I wasn't sure if I would be able to finish because I got started so late. Here is my final submission!

Beauty Shot in Toolbag2 -

( Looking forward to trying out that PBR Sketchfab goodness! Wink! wink! I would love to beta test when the time comes! ;))

Final Submission in Sketchfab -

Best of luck to all the participants and congratulations to everyone who put in the hard work to make a final submission!

Time to go celebrate my New Years by taking a long nap!

50. SphericalPenguin

SphericalPenguin

I finished my modelling and got him posed how I wanted. I think all that is left to do is finish a few materials and it's done.

raven99 likes this.