Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Community Art Challenge - December 2014 - The Christmas Ornament

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@pett-ber - You should upload a version to Sketchfab mate.

2. Sanderdl

Sanderdl

My entry is almost finished:

Will do some material tweaks and small details later probably. If you have any suggestions, please let me know so I can change them before the deadline.

jvico89, NomadKing, MrSoad and 6 others like this.
  3. GreenGaruda

GreenGaruda

Looks fine to me. I would consider this as complete. Add anything you like. :)

4. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

5. Trideka

Trideka

Part of something quite a bit larger..

Model is at 1,806 verts. Normal map applied.

reindeer.jpg

bsj, Thomas-Pasieka, MrSoad and 2 others like this.
  6. jaybdemented

jaybdemented

WIP - The Jolly Flight

6am. Just got out of work. Baby will not got to sleep. So I threw this together real quick. Its very early but I think you get the idea.

ChrisSch likes this.
  7. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

I'm not sure if I'll make it, this month, and January will be pretty hectic for me, but I'll give it a shot. I wanna make Santa and the Grinch battling it out at the top of some house.

Here's the base of the house, as I'm required to post at least something before the final thing. xD

Screen 1.PNG

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  8. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

@ChrisSch Santa vs the Grinch! that sounds epic, I hope you get time to do it ;)

9. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

I updated my Shocking Santa model :

• I had vertices to spare and his hair at the back was very flat in the first model so I gave it plenty more volume and new detail sculpt normals.

• I added an electricity effect arcing across the wires as well to help sell the idea even more.

10. bradAnderson

bradAnderson

I've updated my idea for the contest, not sure if I'll be able to knock out multiple entries but this one I think is more fun!

Basically it's a parody of the ever-so-popular Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus, but with a holiday twist as Wrecking Bell. I intend to do a stylized reindeer (possibly Rudolph) posed ontop of a sleigh bell. The geometry for the bell's about done, at around 500 verts. Hopefully I can have it textured and finished this weekend and then move on to the character!

11. Dinopuncher

Dinopuncher

So here is my WIP post. I just did a 3d "sketch" of my concept. These images are really rough so I will explain the concept. I am making an ornament carved from a whale tooth. I am imagining a sailor from the 1800s carving this out while he is at sea in the northern pacific. I am guessing that this sailor doesn't know enough about reindeer to carve them so he has decided to change Santa's steeds into walrus which he can observe from his ship. The sleigh being a terrestrial object is also out of the ordinary for this sailor so he has based his on the ships he sails on. Santa will look similar to northern trappers the sailor meets at port.

I am trying to make this ornament design under the constraints of what could actually be carved. I also want the general shape of the tooth to remain on the bottom half so it is obvious this is an ivory carving. In my research these ivory carvings are very detailed and usually sanded very smooth. I am hoping to get a little bit of texture in the carved areas so it is more interesting. I may also decide to add scrimshaw to the piece since I won't get to do much diffuse color being that the entire piece is whale ivory.

I am a bit nervous about fitting this in 5000 verts but I really want to challenge myself. I figure if it is absolutely impossible I will remove 2 of the walrus. Here are the pics of my rough sketch. The whole tooth is shown transparently so you can see the whole shape and the carvings at the same time.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
    cloverse and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  12. Alejandro Galindo

Alejandro Galindo

Hi, this is my concept for this contest, I hope you like guys; in a few days I will show you some 3D progress :)
    CloudMan_Concept.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  13. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

14. NomadKing

NomadKing

As always, great progress on the entries everyone! I have no idea what Gluhwein is, but @Sanderdl stall makes me want to try some :)

Got some time this week to work on finishing my entry. Knocked out the runners for the sleigh and finished off the structural detailing inside it this morning. Most of this detail will end up in the normal map:

Sleigh6.png

Sleigh7.png

Sleigh5.png

The low poly version is sitting just over 1k verts (excluding the front piece of 'tech') so that should give me plenty to work with for the rest of the steampunk goodies :)

15. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

Looking good everyone. I see there were some busy weekends...

@shaderbytes - AFAIK, We've never had texture filter modes other than Trilinear, Bilinear, and Nearest. Bilinear can be helpful for hiding mesh seams sometimes, and Nearest is good for pixel art.

16. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@NomadKing - Very nice and clean! Good going there!!!

17. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

I know, very embarrassing on my behalf (face palm) .. Unity has filtering mode named "point" which is probably the same kind of algorithm as your "nearest". A little bit of sleep deprivation seems to go a long way ;)

18. pett-ber

pett-ber

no updates on model but atleast i got time to upload it on sketchfab

"

19. Trideka

Trideka

@Thomas Pasieka We'll see. ;)

1,793 vertexes left to spare. Probably more if I optimize the meshes a bit more. If your meshes don't move, you can get away with murder! =)

reindeer 2.jpg reindeer 3.jpg

bsj, NomadKing, MrSoad and 2 others like this.
  20. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

Steampunk Santa? Will he have a leather aviator's hat, goggles, and fur-mantled leather jacket? And gatling guns mounted on the sleigh (he has to deliver presents in war zones, after all).

21. NomadKing

NomadKing

Sadly, I'll just be doing the Sleigh and not the jolly fellow himself, but that would be a pretty awesome sight to see! :)

@Trideka You can totally get away with murder - yet it still looks great! I love the posing.

@Thomas Pasieka Thanks :)

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  22. Daksmith

Daksmith

Some pretty amazing work this month.

I however Been rather busy, with job searching and interviews and working on a project.

I am not sure if I will have time to resume and finish Japanese ornament.

Lets see how it goes.

23. BurnTheHorses

BurnTheHorses

Well, here's my finished entry for this month's competition: Zanta Claws! I would totally hang this from my tree. :D I decided to forego the hanging eyeball in favor of the enlarged, crazy eye. All comments and criticisms are appreciated.

24. awesomeliquidbear

awesomeliquidbear

Hey guys. New on the forums I am definitely going to give this one a go. Some great ones already so will be a great tough challenge.

25. Arowx

Arowx

Well here is my work in progress, think it needs some texture work but it's a start.

Updated with reflections!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    NomadKing and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  26. Guennor

Guennor

Alright!
    So, i'm not that good at sketching but I always like to draw the idea before modeling to envision better what i'm going to make. :)

So here's the idea:
    "Ornapresents"! Somwhat parachuting ornaments that open up to reveal a christmas present inside!

The idea seems a little bland, I know, but trust me, there's a lot more to it than it seems! There's gonna be a whole scene around the ornament and there's even going to be a surprise that I don't want to spoil right now.
    I already started modelling the ornapresents, characters and props. According to my calculations it's all gonna be under 5k vertices, i've decided to go lowpoly in this one!
    Soon i'll start posting the WIPs of the characters and props in the scene. ;)

shaderbytes and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  27. cloverse

cloverse

Help, I need suggestion before start texturing. Do you think this is good enough?
    There's also something wrong after I export this file to fbx, the left part of eye, hand, and foot got a different lighting so it become darker.

28. jvico89

jvico89

Work In Progress :)

WIP_3.png

29. Arowx

Arowx

Well not sure as it's a christmas ornament tempted to go with this shiny bauble look, what do you think?

shaderbytes likes this.
  30. Teessider

Teessider

I've been a long time lurker on the forums but I decided to give this challenge a go! (The Unity Pro license is very enticing ;))

I'm doing a Xmas ornament based on Spyro the Dragon :) I started it the other night and here is my moodboard:

Here is my first WIP image:

31. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

Hi !

My first WIP pic :

Scene Setup on Blender :

Add a rat in Zbrush with ZSpheres

bsj, Trideka, Thomas-Pasieka and 3 others like this.
  32. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

This looks like quite a cool challenge, especially with a Unity Licence as the grand prize :D

I had a question though: how do the winners get picked?

33. Arowx

Arowx

Great work, funny concept. Could you spike up the back of his hair, or add a skull and pelvis as I think that could really give it that comic electrified look.

NomadKing likes this.
  34. Arowx

Arowx

What about if you gave him Claws as well?!

MrSoad likes this.
  35. BurnTheHorses

BurnTheHorses

Heh. Zombies generally don't have claws, but then they generally don't have a sack of brains either, I suppose. Truthfully I thought about it, ya know, cuz of his name, but decided against it in the end. I like the cartooniness that his fat fingers bring. Thanks for checking him out, though!

36. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

@Arowx yeah I have been contemplating adding a pelvis , just not sure weather it would clutter the design too much but I am gonna test it out and see. For the hair been spiked I dont think I can pull it off with the vertices limit we current have ( 5000 is the limit )

37. NomadKing

NomadKing

Added some more details to my model - engines, present-delivery-cannon and controls, but still got the other side to finish:

Sleigh8.png

Low poly version of this is around 3.6k verts - looking to get model complete tomorrow and I'll share some comparison pics :)

MrSoad and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  38. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@NomadKing - That's coming along nicely mate. Really looking forward to the textured version :)

NomadKing likes this.
  39. giano574

giano574

Hi.
    I have a problem and I am hoping one of you could help clear things up.
    In Blender the vertex count is 5476 and face count is 4232.
    However when uploading the model to Sketchfab I get 1.8k vertices and 5.0k faces.
    Thanks in advance.

Anyway. Here are my WIP screenshots:
    WIP_1.png WIP_2.png

I know it is not much and very simple, but I like the concept and frankly, it is all I can manage with almost no modeling skills.

40. Arowx

Arowx

Sketchfab has some material settings one is for double sided faces.

If you are using some of Blenders modifiers until you apply them you may not be seeing the actual rendered models and exported models full poly counts.

PS Best to save a separate version before you apply any changes.

41. Guennor

Guennor

Ok, so here's my first WIP.
    This is the kid who's gonna get the "Ornapresent" in the scene.

It captures the feeling I wanna give to the whole scene: cheerful colors and of course, the clean lowpoly style. I'm basing the other models and textures in this one!

42. Arowx

Arowx

Nice Work.

The cartoon shader style in shader view mode does not appear to be lining up for me?

43. Guennor

Guennor

I guess you need to set the rendering options to shadeless.
    Strange. I thought that everyone would see what I set in the 3d settings?

44. Arowx

Arowx

From directly above the outline is easily visible, from in front under the arms and either side of the body have outlines but above the arms nothing. From the back, above the arms have an outline, the sides and below the arms nothing.

Maybe you just need to expand your cartoon outline mesh a bit?

45. Teessider

Teessider

Here is some of my progress:

I'm going to be referencing the Winter Tundra world but I want to make this look like it could exist in the real world, so the floating text will be attached to something :)

46. Lare

Lare

Enjoying everyone's entries so far.

My entry is a going to based on the sketch below. I think my ideas will solidify once I get into maya and do some rough blocking in.

Thomas-Pasieka and NomadKing like this.
  47. VanuVamp

VanuVamp

Heya guys,

The work going up here looks great, good job!

Thought I'd give it a go as well. Thought I'd go with something a little unconventional for a Christmas ornament, but maybe some of you can identify with the idea. An empty wallet :)

Will probably add a ribbon to make it look like it can be hung from a tree then get to texturing.

Arowx and NomadKing like this.
  48. Arowx

Arowx

Maybe it should have a brand icon for indie game developers.

49. NomadKing

NomadKing

I hope you've all been good this year, or Santa might have to 'deliver' you a lump of coal ;)

Sleigh9.png

Just the sack and coal bucket to add to the back and I'm done, then onto texturing fun!

50. Batuque

Batuque

This is my first entry ever in a contest like this.

I'm not a great artist but here is what I have done so far. I propose a gamer ornament. In the last two pictures I used a subdivision surface modifier just to make it look better to upload it here. There is still a lot to do but the great part is almost done.

Hope you like it!
    compilado.png

randomperson42, NomadKing and Arowx like this.