Search Unity

Unity Community Art Challenge - April 2016 - Ghostbusters

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Unity Technologies is happy to announce it's next "Unity Community Forum Challenge"! Everybody is welcome to join in and show other fellow artist what they can do and compete for the First Place!

This months Challenge is themed "Ghostbusters". We all love the good old movies from the 80's don't we? Ghostbusters was and remains a landmark in movie history. There is even a new movie coming to Theaters soon! In this challenge I want to see you guys either re-create some of the existing and known ghosts, equipment, characters etc or come up with completely new things or a new take on the existing material!

Imagine a new Protone Pack perhaps or a Ghost (new take on Slimer eventually?) Pick anything you like from the movies and re-imagine it or simply pay homage and make an exact replica/3d model of it. Use your imagination! Let's see something new and fresh! Don't forget, you can use animations too to make your entry come alive!

As a result we want to see a beautiful small Diorama/Turntable of your vision for "Ghostbusters"

Post Work in Progress Screenshots or even use Sketchfab to present your work in progress. See rules below.

1. Participants will have till the end of the month (April, 30th) to submit their Final Entry

2. Final Entry must be a "Diorama/Turntable" showcasing the theme "Ghostbusters". We ask that you use Sketchfab to post your final result here on the forum.

3. Polycount Limitation for this Challenge is 20.000 Vertices. Only ever use as many polygons as necessary to define a shape! This is a game art challenge after all! Make use of normal maps etc to give your textures/meshes more detail.

4. You can use normal maps, specular maps or PBR etc to enhance your work visually. There is no restriction on how many textures you can use but keep in mind that this is a game art challenge so don't go too crazy.

5. Entrants must post at least 1 WIP (Work in Progress) Screenshots before submitting their Final Entry. We suggest you post more and get feedback! Please visit https://help.sketchfab.com/hc/en-us/sections/200485707-Uploading-3D-Models for further information on how to use and upload to Sketchfab.

6. Your final entries must be submitted through Sketchfab. Please tag your final submission with: "UCAC-April2016".

7. No previous work can be used. This essentially means that you should create everything from scratch!

8. No nudity or gross violence please! Keep it clean and fun for everyone!

We got some great prizes this month! A big "Thank You" to all the wonderful people/companies! The winners will receive the following prizes:

1st Place

A 1 Year License of Sketchfab Pro sponsored by Sketchfab
    A $100 Amazon Gift Card sponsored by Sketchfab

2nd Place:

A 6 Months License of Sketchfab Pro sponsored by Sketchfab
    A $50 Amazon Gift Card sponsored by Sketchfab

3rd Place:

A 6 Months License of Sketchfab Pro sponsored by Sketchfab
    A $25 Amazon Gift Card sponsored by Sketchfab

We hope to see many of you participate! Let's get this started and make sure to visit our Sponsors pages!

John3D likes this.
  2. dark_minaz

dark_minaz

Blaster or Stay Puft Marshmallow Man mixed with baymax
    Last one was fun, so not sure yet what ill do, but one of those 2.

although i am more scared about the new movie than i am of any monster in the original. ... ah the horror of yet another classic ruined

Figured, why not both, since the blaster doesn't look like that much work. Well my super pro concept skillz -

edit 2: well when "i just set the project and import some reference images" turns into 50mins of blocking. Something along those lines, i might change the gun into a glove like gun, since both of them would have quite big troubles of using a gun.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  3. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

I'm not sure yet. I like the ghostbuster allright, but they don't really give me inspiration. Maybe I'll do the Firehouse or something.

/* off to watch the trailer for Ghostbusters 2016 */

raven99 likes this.
  4. mcdonals53

mcdonals53

Well. Hrm. I'm better at hard surface stuff and always want to do a human figure, so hey? Why not right? I think I'll try to make a version of this:

raven99 likes this.
  5. marcipw

marcipw

Sounds like a fun challenge! I introduced my 3 year old and 5 year old sons to Ghostbusters a few weekends a go and they absolutely loved it. So many choices ...

6. slynchie

slynchie

My scene picks would be;

#1 green slime ghost at food kart Screen Shot 04-02-16 at 07.40 PM.PNG
    or #2 green slime ghost captured by trap

Screen Shot 04-02-16 at 07.42 PM.PNG

7. marcipw

marcipw

I think I am going to do Slimer before he died and became a fat little green spud. A scene where the human slime ball meets his demise and the rank little ghoul escapes his mortal coil.

8. dark_minaz

dark_minaz

baymax.png
    Some updates, wanted to mix the original with a slightly more modern version. So no blaster, but rather a arm cannon :)
    still some work on the backpack to do, but the rough shape is the way i wanted it. Jetpack mode :)

9. capodraven

capodraven

Hi everyone! so as I couldn't finish the last challenge, I'll start this one much earlier ^^ and so far, this is what a wanna do for this Ghostbusters theme ^^ a version of Ghostbusters by Luigi's inspired by Luigi's Mansion concepts..
    LuigisREfs.jpg

10. TebogoWesi

TebogoWesi

I like That Movie! count me in. . . . . . . . . . :)

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  11. TebogoWesi

TebogoWesi

I'll Be Making Zuul. . . . . .
    :cool:. . . .

Sazem likes this.
  12. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

awesome theme!!!!!! I never made it past just doing a blocking phase for last month , I better make sure to get cracking in this months challenge and make something cool ;)

13. dark_minaz

dark_minaz

tried to keep it similar to the original without making it look like something made from some trash parts :p
    12k verts so far.
    + helm rework (had to many polys on that thing) + face

Scarf and sailor thing will be next and then start thinking about details

Attached Files:

14. Sazem

Sazem

@me9za I had similar idea but then I chose not to make zuul because would be too difficult in my skill level. Zuul is freaking awsome thou. Good luck with it!

I dedicated to make a small scene of a toy I had when I was children. :p

Its funny that I still got that toy :D
    Here`s a concept I made inspired from it

15. TebogoWesi

TebogoWesi

Zuul, blocking out phase.

5.PNG 1.PNG 3.PNG

16. stefff

stefff

For this challenge, I just would like doing human model.
    One of the main character with "ghoshtbuster suit" seems good for begin.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  17. dreamhead

dreamhead

i am a big fan of the ghostbusters movies so i am in and i wil be making my on version of the slimer ghost.
    A donald trump slimer ghost :D.

Attached Files:

18. Daksmith

Daksmith

Got ill last month and well again. Hopefully this time i can finish what i started this month.

Early concept sketch, thinking of ghosts at the moment.

19. TebogoWesi

TebogoWesi

Just Finished With The blocking. . .Now The real Sculpting begins.

blocked.png

If there's time i think I will experiment with some Armour on his back. armour.jpg

lorenzodom, Sazem and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  20. d-3

d-3

Very cool, People!!
    sorry for nothing be part of this contest! I really wanted make some ghost buster character! but I´m very busy now learning houdini!! and that are making me crazy LOL!!

21. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Haha love that one :D
    Gonna use the GameBoy Horror as the trap?

22. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Wow I just found these cool CG scenes based on Ghostbusters , If this guy would have entered he might have won first, second, third and forth place :)

ZZ7E358222.jpg ZZ3C67306C.jpg ZZ442B281D.jpg ZZ28FAA1AC.jpg

GibTreaty likes this.
  23. dreamhead

dreamhead

update on my slimer donald trump i have so much fun making this one :)

Attached Files:

Bhanshee00 likes this.
  24. capodraven

capodraven

Hi everyone!
    Here's the first jour of block' modeling. Luigi's taking shape ^^ mod003.jpg

The hands are just for pose, I'm actually reshaping this, to have more the cartoon look Luigis have. Have fun!

25. capodraven

capodraven

That's an idea! I wasn't thinking on it! Maybe I'll give a shot just to try!
    Actually I designed the game backpack vacum as the movie trap, but in the style of Mansion's game ;-)

26. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Ah just noticed the stripped doors at the back.

27. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@capodraven Nice work so far there.

@me9za That's a good base mesh there. Looking forward to more.

Where is everybody else!? Expected to see a few more entries by now! This is a fun theme folks... let's see something :)

28. Phlair

Phlair

So I'm very new to 3D modelling but thought I'd give this a shot...

My idea is to create a 3D diorama of the logo.

Here's what I've got so far: NoArms.png

shaderbytes and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  29. dark_minaz

dark_minaz

render2.png
    Update :) almost done now, probably put some more polys in the helmet and then work on a cool pose.
    16.4k verts so far, so i still got a few.

30. dark_minaz

dark_minaz

Modeling is done, pose, uv and textures to go :D 19.5k, right where it should be
    modeldone.png

31. dark_minaz

dark_minaz

And done, maybe ill work a bit more on the fire engine parts but that's kinda it for now

32. Soily26

Soily26

I haven't seen Ghostbusters since I was really young but this comp sounds like so much fun so time to rewatch :D

I'm going to create some ghostbusting equipment using a mixture of reference and my own initiative, here's my first block out of the ghost trap
    GhostTrapBlockout1.jpg GhostTrapBlockout2.jpg

shaderbytes likes this.
  33. slynchie

slynchie

WIP #1

slimer 02.png

Slimer created in 123D Sculpt
    SLIMER SCULPT PNG.png
    OBJ file imported into 3ds max, with 131K vertices, ouch! Optimizer modifier added, now 13K vertices.
    Screen Shot 04-10-16 at 08.43 AM.PNG

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  34. dreamhead

dreamhead

Update on the donald trump slimer

Attached Files:

• front.jpg
      front.jpg
      File size:
      186.5 KB
      Views:
    • side.jpg
      side.jpg
      File size:
      217.6 KB
      Views:
    Bhanshee00 likes this.
  35. dark_minaz

dark_minaz

updated the fire, his hand and the side. I think i am done now :)

36. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

hi @slynchie Dont you think your slimer needs more fat rolls?? Look at your reference images you posted. Even his face should be more bulged on the cheeks etc.. I would not even have used a sculpt workflow for this , the shape can be achieved using circle edge loops with ease. You could a non tessalating inflate brush on the main shape afterwards.

37. capodraven

capodraven

hi veryone! here's a little update. Luigi's mod done, allready unwrapped and now applying the skinning for posing with the rigg I've allreday created ;-)
    mod004.jpg

shaderbytes and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  38. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Hi all

Early days for me, Im doing a scene of egon blasting slimer with a trap beneath him. I'm going for a chibi toon style with this one.

I just did a little on egon and then I jumped onto slimer , here is what I have so far :

gb1.jpg

39. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Was the model done entirely from scratch? I need to ask because the it looks very much like the "Big Hero" model: http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/free-max-mode-baymax-big-hero-6/881191

In general I would suggest for everyone to steer away from using known characters (Big Hero, Mario, Luigi etc) as there are plenty of free models out there to download and it's hard to prove if you've done the work yourself.

Thomas

40. dreamhead

dreamhead

Update on the donald trump slimer,now on the texturing and posing for this littel fat guy

Bhanshee00 and slynchie like this.
  41. dark_minaz

dark_minaz

did it from scratch, used a lot of reference pictures from the original and some wire shots i found via google to help (wasn't sure about the fingers).
    I can send you my maya files, although i am not sure how they would proof anything.

After i did look at the model for a while i see your point though, it does look similar in the hands and his belly, since it's a simple model i guess there isn't much choice in how you do those parts. (head, right arm, arms in general, legs, backpack, helmet, wings are hopefully proof enough that i did it on my own)

42. capodraven

capodraven

Should I restart on something else in this case? I have entirely created this one but if it's too confusing I'll restart on an other concept.

43. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I think in the future I will add a new rule. Something like

* Do not use any current or retro game characters such as Mario, Luigi, Sonic, etc.

This should really help in avoiding such situations. I understand that these characters are cool and fun but these challenges are about creativity as well and therefore people should show their skills by coming up with new designs.

Hope that helps :)

Thomas

44. capodraven

capodraven

o_O well... so I restart a new design... I don't wanna be sided because of using an existing toon character as a main concept. will post a new wip soon

45. mcdonals53

mcdonals53

Here the highpoly WIP. I decided since the new Ghostbusters are women and I wanted to do Vigo the Carpathian, that I'd do a woman Vigo. This is my first attempt at a detailed person, so I've been stumbling along (this is my third from scratch version). I've had to watch tons of tutorials just to figure out how to get this far. Now.... lets see if I can find a nice hair tutorial...

capodraven, TebogoWesi and lorenzodom like this.
  46. dreamhead

dreamhead

a texuer update for MR.donald trump slimer

47. Crimsomred

Crimsomred

Hi everyone !

I'm Mathias from Switzerland and this is my first participation in this super cool challenge.

I'm going to make a shaman spirit hunter which could be pretty cool !

Here's a quick concept sketch :
    concept.jpg

Here's a render of the staff : unwrap done today and starting sculpting to bake into normal map

StaffBeta.jpg

Well, i hope i'll work fast enough to finish it in time :)

48. TebogoWesi

TebogoWesi

First Attempt at texturing this creature. am not sure which color scheme to go with for his skin. . .black might look too black in unity under normal lighting. I chose less skin folds and no wrinkles since i'll be using 2K. . .i think i might texture him red with a whiteish underbelly. . . . . . .
    Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  49. capodraven

capodraven

Hi everyone! So as I sayed earlier, I've started a new design and this one will be a pinup in the style of ghostbuster agent ^^. I started tonight the base sculpt. here is so far the blocking phase of the clothes in Zbrush (All sculpted by myself, Dynamesh and exctract, Zremesh for the new topology.) Will continue tomorrow.
    WIP003.JPG

50. Blacklight

Blacklight

Thought I might give this one a go. I reckon I'll keep it simple with a turntable of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man on his romp around the city.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.