Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Community Art Challenge - April 2015 - Chest Of Wonders

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Storm_The_Gates

Storm_The_Gates

I like it, it looks rock weathered by wind and water, very nice. I'm looking forward to how the normal map will look when baked out, should really pop!

dreamhead likes this.
  2. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

Looks great so far! I would go back and now work on just smoothing and cleaning the details to really make it shine! Keep up the good work.

Cheers~

dreamhead likes this.
  3. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

More progress! How do these pirate coins look? Familiar markings perhaps? :) C&C welcome. Still very much WIP.
    Cheers~

NomadKing likes this.
  4. dreamhead

dreamhead

littel test whit normal maps need to fix soms things

Attached Files:

5. Storm_The_Gates

Storm_The_Gates

Ok, so I've finally settled on a concept, and I'm going for a looser interpretation. I was going to do a crashed UFO at Roswell with an alien stasis pod taking the role of the Chest of Wonders, but I couldn't frame it in such a way that really gave it the context it needed and also gave the pod itself enough focus. I have instead settled for the stasis pod inside a 1950's US Army medical laboratory.

I chose this idea because of what it would mean for the human race as a whole to find definitive evidence of intelligent alien life or technology, opening a real Chest of Wonders. I think even the discovery of microbial life elsewhere in the universe could have a huge impact. For about a day, then we'd all go back to looking at Facebook and arguing about who's sports team sportsed the best.

So, first Work in Progress shot. This is just a reeeally simple blockout, composition and lighting test for the diorama so I can get a feel for the scene before I start working on details and final concepts. Nice excuse to trawl the crazy UFO conspiracy websites and dig up stuff about Roswell and Area 51 that I'd forgotten from my teens. I think it's going to take a lot of tweaking to get the lighting just right for the finished piece.

CoW_WiP_03.jpg

6. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

@Storm_The_Gates : I think you have a good start on your composition. Keep in mind that you have all 360 degrees around that lateral axis to work with. Perhaps on the other side of that wall you could have a viewing room/window with more conspiracy things such as x-rays, documents, a tv monitor, etc.. Look forward to seeing more!

Cheers~

7. NomadKing

NomadKing

Nice updates so far guys, I've been busy day dreaming about what I'll do for my entry :p Should have time to do something physical this week!

@Mentallic3D Nice coins, although I'd definitely cut the Unity logo deeper into it :)

8. dreamhead

dreamhead

i got the normal good now and i think it came out great and like always any constructive feedback is welcom

and now time to strat on the texuer :)

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="
    " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" onmousewheel=""></iframe>

9. dreamhead

dreamhead

10. Storm_The_Gates

Storm_The_Gates

Thanks for the feedback, I'd really like to make a proper diorama. I'll keep working on it so the focus is on the pod still. The room is going to be very cold and clinical, the pod will be more colourful and will be a source of illumination. We'll see how it goes, if it starts to look like I have to make it a lone model I'll do so.

11. Storm_The_Gates

Storm_The_Gates

Frustrating how the formatting of the forum cuts the s off of the end of my username and shifts it down to the next line, it should be Storm_The_Gates rather than Storm_The_Gate. Must. Make. Perfect!

12. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Great to see you guys working and communicating! That's what this is all about :) Nice stuff so far! Keep it coming!

Storm_The_Gates likes this.
  13. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

@NomadKing Thanks! You are correct. Upon closer inspection of my reference material I completely agree that the cuts need to be deeper. Good catch!

@dreamhead Thank you! You are correct about the need for dirt, scratches, dents, and surface imperfections. I am trying to go for a "well in circulation but not ancient" look for the top coins and am currently developing a rusted, oxidized, old look for the "under coins".

Still a WIP as I was only able to steal about 25 minutes that night. More to come! Thank you all.

Cheers!~

14. Bvel

Bvel

My idea, a wonderously weird chest of drawers.
    Chest_01.JPG

15. danielrobnik

danielrobnik

Alright!

After tossing a couple of ideas around, I settled on this magical chest. The idea is that you give the chest the items you want to keep safe, and it then runs off into the wilderness, constantly evading anyone who might want whatever is in it.

Here is a blockout of the chest majestically leaping from a ledge.

Off to sculpting!

ppg, Antonio-Neves, Revan31 and 12 others like this.
  16. Bvel

Bvel

Nice idea, it certainly is majestic :D

17. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@Daniel Robnik Love your sketches and ideas. This looks like a fun one! Looking forward to seeing more!

18. xenius

xenius

@Daniel Robnik d'aaawww It's followin its dreams. :) adorable, and also great composition!

19. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

A little bit at a time. Did not have long to work today so I got most of the unwrapping complete. Here is where it stands currently:

Cheers~

NomadKing, Thomas-Pasieka and xenius like this.
  20. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Reminded me of the Beauty and the Beast 1991 cartoon/movie. :D

21. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

Hi there everybody, first time posting here!
    Trully nice and creative ideas on this thread! Daniel Robnik's idea is my favorite so far! =P

Here is mine, I'll attempt to make a "Dwarven Chest of Infinite Ale". I couldnt imagine a better loot than this! hahaha

This is what I have done so far, I'll try to come up with a nice diorama in the next updates.
    Feel free to trhow as many rocks as you guys want!

22. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@Rafmorais - That's a nice idea there and a great start! Really love what everybody is coming up with here! Keep it coming everybody!

Rafmorais and xenius like this.
  23. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

@Rafmorais : Fantastic start! Don't forget that in order to open the lid will need hinges. You can see in your reference that there is more of a gap from lid to chest due to the hinges. Can't wait to see more!

Cheers~

24. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

Update: Last night I increased the detail on the Spy Glass (V2.0) and today over lunch I did the same for the Lantern. Here you can also see my first attempt at lighting the scene. Trying to get a bit more contrast and shadow play. Still need to finish the fish, clam shells, and wood debris. All other objects have been unwrapped. Once the final decorative pieces are done I will be moving around the scene “updating” things with more detail as the vertex limit allows. Currently at 2,046. C&C are most welcome.

Cheers~

Serinx and NomadKing like this.
  25. Spoken_OS

Spoken_OS

I feel pretty embarrassed to ask this, but what is that number for those of us who use decimals differently? 7,500 vertices?

26. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

Hey there @Spoken_OS
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Polygon_Count
    Also, I did some cutting and slicing, to show the numbers! =]

@Mentallic3D and @Thomas Pasieka Thanks a lot guys, gonna work more on it this week! and Mentallic thanks for the tips man, dont worry about the hinges! haha. Thanks guys.

27. Serinx

Serinx

Here is my WIP, playing around with an infinite chest. Basically a bunch of chests nested in one another.
    I was think that the outer chest would be gigantic, but the inner chests hold more valuable items and I may add some little adventurers for scale.

Not sure how it'll turn out but just going to run with it!

Feel free to provide tips/critiques :)

chestWIP2.png

IFL, xenius, NomadKing and 6 others like this.
  28. danielrobnik

danielrobnik

Cheers everyone!

@Rafmorais, that is coming along nicely, looking forward to seeing it overflowing with ales!

I like the concept you've got going, @Serinx.

29. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Just replace the "." by a ",". It's the same :)

30. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

@Serinx Oh, I like it! Makes me think of the matryoshka dolls. I've always loved those! Would the treasure in each bigger chest surround the smaller chest? Or would the smaller chest be in a corner of the bigger chest with the treasure in front/on top of, hiding it, perhaps?

31. Spoken_OS

Spoken_OS

32. xenius

xenius

Hey guys,

I just wanted to chime in and say WELL DONE so far! Seriously, it's been a delight seeing all the ideas come together, and all the imagination and variety of aesthetic/compositional approaches being taken. Keep on truckin!

Rafmorais and NomadKing like this.
  33. Serinx

Serinx

Thanks :) The smaller chests would be surrounded by the treasure of their "parent" chest, so the child chests are almost like a piece of treasure.

If it were a game I'd imagine that entering a smaller chest would take you into some sort of portal and you'd be shrunk down relative to the chest size. Each chest becoming more valuable, but also more dangerous.

34. Spoken_OS

Spoken_OS

Getting started.

Attached Files:

• CoW.png
      CoW.png
      File size:
      69.3 KB
      Views:
    xenius likes this.
  35. Serinx

Serinx

WIP 2, added some extra little details, uv unwrapped and begun texture painting.

I'm not sure what else to add to it (besides finishing the textures), feels a little basic at the moment.

chestWIP3.png

ppg, danielrobnik, xenius and 2 others like this.
  36. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Keep it coming folks. Where is everybody else with their entry? Let's see more!!!!

37. caldepen

caldepen

Lovely stuff guys.

@Serinx - Can you hang the chains with the curve going the opposite direction? They would naturally hang straight down and then gently curve out towards the edge. But excellent boxes within boxes, none the less!

38. Stv3D

Stv3D

I will be joining this challenge as well! Just finished the main concept. A bit sketchy but enough to move the idea into modelling. I want to create the feeling of childhood wonder with this piece. I will put emphasis on the toys, colors and glow!

chest_of_wonders_steven_moreno.jpg

IFL, NomadKing, xenius and 1 other person like this.
  39. Revan31

Revan31

Hello guys!

I love all the ideas I've seen, especially the magic chest, it sounds really funny!

I've done some sketches for now. The first idea was about a temple under the water but I think i will do a wreck diorama. :D
    Curs Blender.jpg

Antonio-Neves, IFL, NomadKing and 3 others like this.
  40. Serinx

Serinx

Haha it started off straight but then I curved the end link down to fit it in. Funny I didn't notice that.. Thanks for pointing it out!

41. dreamhead

dreamhead

finally got some time to get the schulping done,now time for texturing :D

Attached Files:

42. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

Update: New Calipers, new spy glass, some chest updates, lots of unwrapping done. What do you guys think?

Edit: The embedding isn't working for me. :(

https://skfb.ly/DI8S

IFL and xenius like this.
  43. IFL

IFL

I had placed this in one of my earlier posts several days ago, but that was obviously unwise for getting feedback. So how does it look?

I'm actually considering scrapping it because I came up with another idea that isn't so dark. It'd be a kid in a futuristic space suit opening an alien crate to reveal a crazy alien-like animal, and then a wall dividing that scene from a mirrored scene of the kid in normal clothes opening a cardboard box with a stuffed animal inside. So, should I scrap the evil pillow for the imagination box?

NomadKing, Serinx and dreamhead like this.
  44. dreamhead

dreamhead

working on soms texturing to day

Attached Files:

Serinx and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  45. xenius

xenius

Wow guys, keep on goin!

@biowinter: Fantastic sketch, feels like a cyber-genie. You going to do a block-out soon?

@IFL: Your current piece is sweet, but your sci-fi idea sounds excellent as well. Why not do both (if ya have the time).

@dreamhead: Lookin good! You gonna make the skull's eyes glow? :)

@Revan31 : Sick sketchwork! Can't wait to see a block-out/low-poly!

@Serinx : Glad to see a YoDawg entry :) I agree about the other comments with the chain, should def. either be at full tension, or by sagging into the chest a bit (Chains are hard to get right).

@Mentallic3D : Still lookin solid. Can't wait to see a splash of color on it. You mentioned you've got it all unwrapped now, so are ya on to texturing now?

@Rafmorais : How goes the ale chest? Haven't seen an update from ya since tuesday. (also, i feel dumb for not ever dealing with the poles of a cylinder how you have it before. TIL

46. dreamhead

dreamhead

jep they will glow hellfire :D

xenius likes this.
  47. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@IFL This looks sweet but I would probably town down the glow effect a tad as it's just a bit too much and distracting from the rest I'd say. Otherwise I totally dig it :)

48. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

I've updated my Chest of Wonders entry! Change log: new chest with trim details, new lantern chain, added fish, new coins, new compass. What do you think?

@xenius Just about to the texturing phase. I think I have just about all the objects finalized. Thanks!

49. Revan31

Revan31

Starting to paint it :) upload_2015-4-13_13-56-14.png

50. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

@Revan31 Looks like another fellow pirate-ish/ship wreck theme! :) Very nice start. Looking forward to seeing more.