Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Community Art Challenge - September 2014 - 1990's Platformer

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

It’s time for you to show off your stuff, which calls for the first ever “Unity Community Art Challenge"! Everybody is welcome to join in and show other fellow artist what they can do and compete for the First Place!

This months Challenge is themed "1990's Platformer". In essence, you are to create 3D art inspired by a Platformer from that era! No, not the whole game - a slice will do! In other words, we want for you to create a Diorama! Pick a game your Diorama will be based on, post Work in Progress Screenshots for all to see and post your final Diorama before the end of the month using Sketchfab! See rules below.

The Rules:
    1. Participants will have till the end of the month (September, 30th) to submit their Final Entry
    2. Final Entry must be a "Diorama" (can include characters/vehicles/etc)
    3. No Poly count or texture limit. We're looking for your best work!
    4. Entrants must post at least 1 WIP (Work in Progress) Screenshot before submitting their Final Entry.
    5. All artwork has to be original and created from scratch. No previously created artwork allowed.
    6. When exporting your final work please use "1990 Platformer - Username - Final Entry" in the Title description. Use the "Description" to let us know which game(s) inspired you! Finally, Tag your entry with #1990Platformer and #unity3d. Have a look at the following screenshot as guide...

For Info on how to use/post using Sketchfab see this thread:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/sketchfab-on-the-forums.251137/

Below is an example Diorama taken from the Sketchfab website!

The Prizes:
    This month the great folks from Sketchfab are sponsoring our contest! The winners will receive the following:
    1st Place : 1 Year of Sketchfab Pro and Cardboard VR
    2nd Place: 1 Year of Sketchfab Pro
    3rd Place: 6 Months of Sketchfab Pro

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

You did not mention whether the art piece needs to be a new unique creation specifically for this competition or if an entrant may submit art work created previously.

3. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hi there Shaderbytes! Unfortunately you can't use previously created art. Art for this competition has to be created from scratch. Rule Nr. 4 also states that entrants must show at least 1 WIP (posted here as reply) before submitting their final entry.

4. thehen2

thehen2

I'd definitely enter if a Unity Pro license was bundled in with the top prize ;)

Cheekiness aside, it looks like fun, good luck everyone!

Graph likes this.
  5. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Future prizes really depend on many factors. One of them is the participation and interest level people show ;)

6. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

*Applies much emphasis on this response*

7. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Thanks Thomas, I expected that as it is the norm for nearly all modeling comps.

but if it was not I was so going to enter my Gorilla Tank (Megaman 6) Model I did for a CG Cookie Robots Comp ;)

Mine was the only entry based on a video game , which was a 90's platformer!

http://www.shaderbytes.co.za/ian/battle_scene_1.jpg

8. LAGamesPortfolio

LAGamesPortfolio

I'm defiantly going to be taking part in this competition, going to be starting a brainstorm session very soon to decide what game to do!

Thomas-Pasieka and Aurore like this.
  9. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@shaderbytes - Cool work there! Well I sure hope you're taking part in this competition!

@LAGamesPortfolio Great to hear that! Looking forward to your work. Feel free to post sketches/WIP's etc

LAGamesPortfolio likes this.
  10. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

I will make an effort to take part and support the Unity community comps ;)

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  11. LAGamesPortfolio

LAGamesPortfolio

I've started putting together reference images and I have also sketched out (really badly) how the final diorama might look. I've also listed the 3D models that I will be creating and I'm going to make a start on some of them tonight.

I will post renders/progress of these very soon!

Unity Community Art Challenge - SMW Reference Images and Asset List.png

12. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@LAGamesPortfolio Very cool! Really looking forward to your WIP's. Hope others will join in and perhaps also post their ideas/concepts! Let's get this rollin....

13. LAGamesPortfolio

LAGamesPortfolio

If you like, I can share this competition across my Facebook page, Twitter page etc? I have a few people that I know that may be interesting in taking part!

14. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Of course! Would love for more people to spread the word :)

15. LAGamesPortfolio

LAGamesPortfolio

Here is the 1st WIP of my project. I'll be continuing tomorrow as it's really late in the UK at the moment; but I've managed to create a few assets already.

Unity Community Art Challenge - WIP 1.png

16. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Here are some great examples of dioramas from DK tropical freeze ,

17. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@LAGamesPortfolio Great to see you putting some effort/time in already! That's the spirit ;)

@shaderbytes Those are indeed awesome Dioramas! Very inspiring and beautiful to look at. I had to play it 3 times :)

18. raven_seige

raven_seige

Super Mario is my platformer to based on too ,but im new to 3d so im having doubts if i will/can do this hehe.;):)

19. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

20. AlexStrook

AlexStrook

Let's do this ! I guess I'll go with megaman, or maybe something more original...

21. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

I decided to go for Earth Worm Jim..

22. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

23. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Day one and I've made a great start , Im gonna do the crow getting blasted in the sky ( currently where the sphere is floating in mid air ) and have the dog jumping and biting from the ground next. Then add all other details to the scene.

I still need to use sketchfab myself for the first time when ready but I presume baking lighting into textures is going to look the best as always.

render_1.jpg

Thomas-Pasieka and Aurore like this.
  24. Graph

Graph

sign me up
    Kirbys DreamLand I played to death so i'll pick one of the more memorable moments from it..

hah ftw.. still got an old gameBoy and Dreamland 1&2

they were released 92 and 96..
    so if that qualifies.. i'm in

25. AlexStrook

AlexStrook

The sketchfab plugin doesn't work on my unity, the "custom" menu doesn't appears (unity 4.3.4)

26. Fons93

Fons93

challenge accepted

one of my first game memories was Comander Keen: Goodby galaxy so I'll pick that one

it was the 4th installment of the franchise and I never suspect it was developed by IDsoftware

franchise started in 1990

27. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

This is shaping up to an exciting month! Progress so far is looking great, I want to see more :)

28. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

@AStrkl - What OS are you using? Can you check the GameObjects menu for the exporter?

29. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@shaderbytes - That's a nice start right there :) Might want to brighten up the textures some?

30. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

@Thomas Pasieka - Yeah it was a bit too gloomy , I had the environment lighting on only 0.2. I bumped it up to 0.8 now have a look. The brighter lighting definitely works better when viewed at smaller sizes. I also put an insert in from the actual game , they did have a gloomy kind of feel going on but it was contrasted well by that green background. I wonder what kind of options we have in sketchfab for the background? All the ones I had a look at had a black background.
    render_3a.jpg

31. LAGamesPortfolio

LAGamesPortfolio

Unity Community Art Challenge - WIP 2.png
    So I haven't posted on here for a couple of days; it was my brother's birthday so I spent time with family!

Tonight I've managed to get some more models created and it's now starting to look more like a diorama! I'm going to do some more work on it tomorrow and I'll hopefully post something up then!

32. AlexStrook

AlexStrook

Ah thank ! It was in the gameobject menu indeed :)

33. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@LAGamesPortfolio - Looking good there. Perhaps brighten the floor/base up a little bit? Are you going to bake light in the end?

@shaderbytes - That's looking better already :)

34. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

I checked the sketchfab FAQ section and you can only change the background if you are a pro user. Then they also have that very annoying watermark slap bang in the middle of the window. ;(

They should consider doing some sort of temporary PRO version access just for the competition like Unity does for so many competitions that use their software.

35. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Finished most of the scene and made some final fine adjustments to the lighting and shadows again. Some texture work still to be done which I will do while uv mapping. I added a big dot halftone gradient background effect that has a feel of the dithered gradients in the original but more modern looking. Too bad the background wont make it into the sketchfab version.

render_10a.jpg

36. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

Hi all,

Great to see everyone's progress!

@shaderbytes if you win you'll be able to use your own backgrounds :) By watermark in the middle of the window, are you talking about our play button? You can remove it by putting your model in autoplay :)

Good luck everybody! An here is another cool diorama for inspiration:

37. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@shaderbytes - Why not use a sphere like in the example @Sketchfab posted? Just make a giant sphere and map a texture to it and you will have the background you want.

38. Graph

Graph

or a smaller sphere and flip the faces if you want to recreate the same look you got now

39. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Good idea , I think i will do that ;)

I just went to sketchfabs site to look at some other examples and all of a sudden I cant zoom or rotate the x axis
    Only y-axis rotation is working. I rebooted my browser , pc .. and it is still broken. Does anyone else see this issue or is it just me? I tried it in Chrome and IE.

40. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

@Sketchfab Sorry my bad , it was not a watermark , it's a faint logo on the grey radial gradient background. I must of had the sun in my eyes. Is that the default background? I do feel it interferes with the models while been viewed , even if it is very faint but anyway, just my 2 cents opinion ;)

41. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

@shaderbytes it sounds like you're seeing our image-based fallback 360° viewer, which means WebGL has been disabled on your browser/machine. This is a good place to start troubleshooting WebGL: http://get.webgl.org/

42. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

@Sketchfab thanks for the link , it does report "disabled or unavailable" .. that's is so weird because it literally changed itself overnight. Perhaps WebGL rolled out some new minimum system requirements and my old donkeys head was put on the chopping block.

I am in the process of buying a new PC as we speak so if that is the case no worries. The weird thing is while my machine is 4 years old now with onboard g41 chipset .. it ran everything I viewed yesterday properly without any issues.

In case I missed it have you considered putting in a prompt/notification into the sketchfab viewer to let a user know that webGL is not running and they have been redirected to the 360 viewer fallback? Its probably not worth it since any modern machine should be running webGL just fine. Although it might still be handy as sometimes bugs may arise from browser vendors eg , while googling the issue I did see official bug tickets from people with new machines having run into problems with some or other minor Chrome builds.

43. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

@shaderbytes Yes, that's very strange. I doubt WebGL would drastically change overnight...but typically just restarting the browser fixes the problem if I run into trouble (read: I loaded 30 Sketchfab models and WebGL freaked out). Browsers usually have debug options to enable or disable hardware acceleration, but something else might be going on if you're seeing it cross-browser.

Thanks for the feedback – we're always working to improve error handling – nobody likes to see things fail silently. Typically it only takes a few minutes for the fallback to be generated, but you're right, a clearer prompt there could be helpful. We did recently suffer from a nasty bug related to Direct3D on Chrome/IE which affected lots of users/models. As you said, these things happen.

Have fun with your new computer, that's always a lot of fun :D

44. LAGamesPortfolio

LAGamesPortfolio

Thanks for the feedback! I haven't really worked on my lights too much so far but I will take those comments on board and improve my work from there =)

45. LAGamesPortfolio

LAGamesPortfolio

Here's my small bit of progress from today. I've lighten up the ground/base texture and I've made some hedges and Bullet Bill!

Tomorrow, I'm going to be modeling the Red and Green Mushroom; before starting to clean up the scene in Unity and constructing the diorama =)

Unity Community Art Challenge - WIP 3.png

46. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Hi all

Back again with a plethora of updates, this should be the last time im posting images , from here It onto building the scene in Unity then web player then sketchfab.

Instead of just posing the final scene image again I thought I would post two images highlighting just some of the changes.

Firstly and most important , My Jim character was looking way off from the original. The original has crazy eyes different sized and huge eyelids. Also one eye only has a pupil , weird and cool. Made these changes and then also worked on some detailing, subtle texturing and shape changes all around.

character_render_ewj_new_old.jpg

47. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Here is a close up render of the dog , I created some proper dirty junk yard dog teeth , replaced the drool, upgraded the tongue and a slight bit of noise on the body to make him look more dirty ( I could refine this for final texture ) Up close it looks like I could do with one or two more loops going through the mouth as the are some very evident hard lines visible there

character_render_dog_1.jpg

48. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

..and lastly here is the full scene, many changes here so I wont try list them all , but what I will mention is that in my previous full scene design , I just splashed out everything quickly to try flesh out the scene but when coming back to the design I realized I was missing some key design elements , clustering , lines and flow. So I have now crafted the scene much better with these elements in place. ( and lets not talk about that green background idea .. gosh what was I thinking!)
    render_10l.jpg

49. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@LAGamesPortfolio That's getting there isn't it? :) Have you thought about adding a sky/dome to the scene?

@shaderbytes You really put a lot of effort into this! The improvements on Jim are cool! Definitely looks more like him now. The Dog is also cool... I'd perhaps make the drool a different color as they look a tad too similar to the teeth. All in all it's a cool entry!

Now where is everybody else with their entry!? Come on folks let's see something!!!

50. LAGamesPortfolio

LAGamesPortfolio

I have done some research on how I can execute this in an effective way so I will be adding one once the modelling stage is finished. Then I'll create my sky and clean up the environment; before fixing the lighting and then I should be ready to submit :)